Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Seems like a good deal on firewood....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Kmum

1.15 x 0.87 x 1.2 = 1.2m3 so 20% bigger than a 1mtr3 pallet.

This pallet was packed 3 logs deep so considerably deeper than 2ft. The picture was taken after they’d started shifting the logs. As I mentioned in my first post this is our first time bulk buying wood, going by the dimensions and wood type I felt it was good value and works out only €3 more than the co op deal when delivery was included - €200 for 1mtr3 x 1.2 = €240. But would love to see better deals if available for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Kmum wrote: »
    But would love to see better deals if available for the future.

I think you've found the best deal about since the Co-op offer of €199 a couple of weeks ago. That was for 1m3 so this for €243 for a 1.2m3 crate is basically the same cost for the wood received.

Id been looking other places and most of them are around €270-290 for 1m3 of kild dried oak/ash so this deal of €243 for 1.2m3 is very good value for money. Thanks for sharing, will be ordering myself for delivery next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭cathalj

For comparison purposes, here's a pic of the crate of ash from the co-op I got delivered a couple of weeks ago.

I'll update this with the crate measurements tomorrow.

Edit - 108 X 104 X 118

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

beertons wrote: »
    I haven't seen an ad from him in ages, I just saved the number I rang originally. He's a tree surgeon, so would have loads of lumber. I've to ring him for an order next week. I'll take a pic of it, stick it up here. And if you like it, I'll pass on his number.

Did you get your order? I am also in kildare and wed be interested in buying some.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Just got a brochure for www.cdproviders.ie in the post

Large crate of kiln dried beech

108cm High
    115cm Long
    85cm Wide

450kgs

€169.95

Not sure if it’s a bargain?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,139 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

vicwatson wrote: »
    Just got a brochure for www.cdproviders.ie in the post

Large crate of kiln dried beech

108cm High
    115cm Long
    85cm Wide

450kgs

€169.95

Not sure if it’s a bargain?

Sounds like a very good price for 1m3 of kiln dried to me.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Sounds like a very good price for 1m3 of kiln dried to me.

It’s on this brochure here, page 7

http://www.cdproviders.ie/spring-sale/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,264 ✭✭✭alias no.9

vicwatson wrote: »
    It’s on this brochure here, page 7

http://www.cdproviders.ie/spring-sale/

Excellent price, doesn't mention delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Coming from Wexford, also says "Spring sale"... maybe they were getting rid of stock and the brochure is from way back?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,139 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Says autumn sale when I click in? Either way i think it's an in store offer and they probably only deliver locally.

• Advertisement

cormie wrote: »
    Coming from Wexford, also says "Spring sale"... maybe they were getting rid of stock and the brochure is from way back?

It arrived today and says autumn sale on it. Obviously the web developer didn’t bother changing the spring to autumn

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Says autumn sale when I click in? Either way i think it's an in store offer and they probably only deliver locally.

Looking at the link I posted it looks like they have branches in 7 counties.

Ah my bad, i couldn't see a store locator so only saw the wexford address.

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Excellent price, doesn't mention delivery.

Just rang them there. They're a company in Wexford, said he delivers to the local area for €10. Also said a chain of building supply stores called TJ o'Mahony has them at the same price, rang them and delivery is €25 for the crate of 1m3 of kiln dried beech delivered, so €195 all up. Other branches of TJ o'Mahony might be cheaper for delivery- in my case it has to come across the Wicklow mountains so probably a bit extra for that, if you've a TJ o'Mahony branch near to you its likely a bit cheaper.

It compares more or less directly with the 1.2m3 crate of kiln dried oak Kmum posted yesterday for €243. Only question is whether burning oak is better than beech. Think I might still go for the 1.2m3 of oak just for the extra quantity. O'Mahonys offered me delivery on Friday but with this storm coming in its likely to be lashing rain so will get delivery next week instead.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Just rang them there. They're a company in Wexford, said he delivers to the local area for €10. Also said a chain of building supply stores called TJ o'Mahony has them at the same price, rang them and delivery is €25 for the crate of 1m3 of kiln dried beech delivered, so €195 all up. Other branches of TJ o'Mahony might be cheaper for delivery- in my case it has to come across the Wicklow mountains so probably a bit extra for that, if you've a TJ o'Mahony branch near to you its likely a bit cheaper.

It compares more or less directly with the 1.2m3 crate of kiln dried oak Kmum posted yesterday for €243. Only question is whether burning oak is better than beech. Think I might still go for the 1.2m3 of oak just for the extra quantity. O'Mahonys offered me delivery on Friday but with this storm coming in its likely to be lashing rain so will get delivery next week instead.

Just got a price of €20 for delivery myself. Not enough in the difference to be cancelling the order from Monahans, if I did and went with the smaller pallet, you could be certain I'd run out before the end of the spring and end up supplimenting with something more costly.

Got my pallet of oak from monahans /logsforsale.ie
    The delivery guys were happy to indulge me to get the pallet round the side and off the footpath leaving room to get the bins and bikes in and out so no need to de-crate, happy with that.

492169.jpg

Wheeliebin for reference on the crate size.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

Winter will be over by the time you order any wood :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

We went through about 2 M3 last winter plus a tonne of coal.

Got a load of turf this year so hopefully won't use as much coal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

We went through about 2 M3 last winter plus a tonne of coal.

Got a load of turf this year so hopefully won't use as much coal.

Open fire 🔥?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

naughto wrote: »
    Open fire 🔥?

Stove that only heats in room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Stove that only heats in room.

we have a stove here and a tonne of coal plus timber would last us 2 season lol
    something wrong with your stove or the way you are using it

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭lenscap

I have a 16kw back boiler stove heating 11 rads and I would burn in a year (October to April on average) 1 ton of coal and 3/4 ton of Rocket Blaze eco wood briquettes.

I have settled on the wood briquettes after trying various wood (from localguys I knew that had seasoned it) to kiln dried olive wood.
    Now I must admit the olive wood from a guy in Galway was great, it burned like coal.

I also tried different eco wood briquettes and the best I forund were the Rocket blaze ones. They come in a bale ( a bit like turf briquettes) BUT they have to be stored in a dry area. I store mine in a covered in veranda with a tarpaulin over them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭funnyname

That's very interesting to hear. We've a similar sized BBS, however we go through about 3/4 tonnes of coal and 11m³ of hardwood which cost us about €1400 last year.

I usually put about a 3/4 bucket of coal (8 of those per 40kg bag of coal) then topped with logs and then maybe one or two more loads of logs depending on the length of time the fire needs to be on.

How much coal and rocket blaze logs would do you over the course of an 8 hour burn?
    lenscap wrote: »
    I have a 16kw back boiler stove heating 11 rads and I would burn in a year (October to April on average) 1 ton of coal and 3/4 ton of Rocket Blaze eco wood briquettes.

I have settled on the wood briquettes after trying various wood (from localguys I knew that had seasoned it) to kiln dried olive wood.
    Now I must admit the olive wood from a guy in Galway was great, it burned like coal.

I also tried different eco wood briquettes and the best I forund were the Rocket blaze ones. They come in a bale ( a bit like turf briquettes) BUT they have to be stored in a dry area. I store mine in a covered in veranda with a tarpaulin over them.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,056 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Ah stop. Trying to get the finances together before I make the call.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭lenscap

funnyname wrote: »
    That's very interesting to hear. We've a similar sized BBS, however we go through about 3/4 tonnes of coal and 11m³ of hardwood which cost us about €1400 last year.

I usually put about a 3/4 bucket of coal (8 of those per 40kg bag of coal) then topped with logs and then maybe one or two more loads of logs depending on the length of time the fire needs to be on.

How much coal and rocket blaze logs would do you over the course of an 8 hour burn?

We would burn approx 10 to12 kg of coal (smokeless ovoid) and 5 to 7 rocket blazer logs in an 8 hour period. We start the fire with 2 rocket blazer logs, then add the coal and the top up with more coal and one rocker blazer log broken in two. Last coal fill in the stove would be around 7pm and then maybe one rocket blazer log every hour until 9 or 9.30 approx.

One note on the coal ( I know this is a firewood thread).I tried the cheaper smokeless ovoids and had tar problems in the chimney so I now only use the high quality ovoids like Ecobright or Maxibrite (basically high anthracite content). They are more expensive BUT I use approx one third to one quarter less coal for the same heat so it's not that expensive in the long run.

I don't do an overhight burn with the stove and the house is very well insulated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭funnyname

Cheers, I'll look into ordering a pallet in the NY as we're stocked up for now.
    lenscap wrote: »
    We would burn approx 10 to12 kg of coal (smokeless ovoid) and 5 to 7 rocket blazer logs in an 8 hour period. We start the fire with 2 rocket blazer logs, then add the coal and the top up with more coal and one rocker blazer log broken in two. Last coal fill in the stove would be around 7pm and then maybe one rocket blazer log every hour until 9 or 9.30 approx.

One note on the coal ( I know this is a firewood thread).I tried the cheaper smokeless ovoids and had tar problems in the chimney so I now only use the high quality ovoids like Ecobright or Maxibrite (basically high anthracite content). They are more expensive BUT I use approx one third to one quarter less coal for the same heat so it's not that expensive in the long run.

I don't do an overhight burn with the stove and the house is very well insulated.

Took delivery of the 1.2m3 crate for €243 today from Monahans/logsforsale.ie that KMum mentioned back up the thread. Very happy with it, it filled up the log store perfectly, just ran out of space for the last 5 logs. Delivery lad told me the oak is imported from Latvia.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Did anyone get the deal from TJ O Mahony yet? I might be passing by today in my van and might be able to collect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭stamjoe

cormie wrote: »
    Did anyone get the deal from TJ O Mahony yet? I might be passing by today in my van and might be able to collect it.

Yes, very dry indeed, 15euro delivery to Limerick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

Is it the crate of kiln dried beech for €169.95 that people are ordering from C&D/TJ O'Mahonys? 450kg.
    Their 5 x 10kg bags are almost as good value. Works out 50kg for €20. That would be €180 for 450kg, but you don't have to commit to the large size.

Advertisement