Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2020 - General Discussion Thread (See MOD warning on first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Anjobe

What does that mean for hulk this weekend?

Stroll has done his 10 days in isolation since the positive test and has since tested negative, so he races this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,372 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

That's not a good move for anyone. Williams is a stepping stone for young drivers and a pay driver. Either a step I to the sport for a young driver or a step out for an old one. Nobody will look good in that car. Bottas went to Mercedes but that was back when the Williams was good.

Perez could be the pay driver at Williams instead of Latifi. He brings Carlos Slim money from Mexico.
    Russel and Perez would actually be a great lineup for williams. Latifi and Perez would not!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

ELM327 wrote: »
    Russel and Perez would actually be a great lineup for williams. Latifi and Perez would not!
    Exactly. It would probably be a big payday driver lineup. But if they lose Mercedes engines then it means they'll need to pay for Renault engines which is the worst of all possible worlds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

Anjobe wrote: »
    Stroll has done his 10 days in isolation since the positive test and has since tested negative, so he races this weekend.

Given that he tested negative before the GP, and fell ill on the Saturday morning having been taking part as normal prior to that (albeit without driving due to the weather conditions), this implies there may be some issues with the precautions being taken, and that other members of the team were probably infected.

I assume this will be / has been investigated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

He’s not thar far off Russell when it comes to race pace

Which means either Latifi is better than most think, or Russell isn’t as good as people think

It's really hard to judge Russell given that Latifi is a pay driver who nobody rates, and Kubica was highly rated once but in reality his come back as someone who'd been out of the sport for a decade and who only had one fully functioning arm was probably never going to set the world on fire and expectations were simply ay too high based on his previous career.

If he ended up partnering someone like Perez that would be a real test.

• Advertisement

quokula wrote: »
    It's really hard to judge Russell given that Latifi is a pay driver who nobody rates, and Kubica was highly rated once but in reality his come back as someone who'd been out of the sport for a decade and who only had one fully functioning arm was probably never going to set the world on fire and expectations were simply ay too high based on his previous career.

If he ended up partnering someone like Perez that would be a real test.

True.
    It could be that latifi is getting 100% out of the car and russell is brilliantly outdriving it, or they are getting 60 and 80% respectively and both are crap.

We know perez is a solid mediocre mid tier driver. Never wins a championship or comes close but in the middle of the pack solidly. If he beats russell then it speaks for itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

True.
    It could be that latifi is getting 100% out of the car and russell is brilliantly outdriving it, or they are getting 60 and 80% respectively and both are crap.

We know perez is a solid mediocre mid tier driver. Never wins a championship or comes close but in the middle of the pack solidly. If he beats russell then it speaks for itself.

For gods sake. Solid mediocre mid table driver.

Laughable.

For gods sake. Solid mediocre mid table driver.

Laughable.

Oh sorry, point to his race wins?
    He's in the second best car this year and has done nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 15,561 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I disagree. I would say the Red Bull has been the second best car this year with the Racing Point as the third best car this year and it does not seem to be performing as good as it was at the beginning of the season because Racing Point are not sure how to get the best out of it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    I disagree. I would say the Red Bull has been the second best car this year with the Racing Point as the third best car this year and it does not seem to be performing as good as it was at the beginning of the season because Racing Point are not sure how to get the best out of it.

Just because Max has been otherworldly doesnt mean the car is the best/second best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,614 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Second best car! Can I have some?

I think the title of second best car has changed through the season. Racing Point was almost certainly the second best at the start. The second best them might have been mclaren for a bit, then red bull maybe, Renault and maybe red bull again. But I think max makes the red bull look better than it is.

Racing point has slipped back.
    They didn't design the parts that probably made them second best at the start of the season. So its unlikely they could develop the car beyond that point when they weren't able to design that speed to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

McLaren have definitely shifted their focus towards next season. They have had to get next year's parts on this year's car as they will need the tokens to change engine from Renault to Mercedes.

skipper_G wrote: »
    Second best car! Can I have some?
    Max is outdriving the car he's in.
    In pure pace the Tracing Point is the second best car.

Max is outdriving the car he's in.
    In pure pace the Tracing Point is the second best car.

Pure pace, ie; one lap pace in qualifying ? If that's what you're measuring it by, then go measure again because you're wrong.

Pure overall pace.

Pure overall pace.

Race pace then, okay answer is the same. By every conceivable metric the Red Bull is a better car.

As a racing point fan I'd be thrilled if they had the 2nd best car, but I'm not deluded enough to think they have it.

Race pace then, okay answer is the same. By every conceivable metric the Red Bull is a better car.

As a racing point fan I'd be thrilled if they had the 2nd best car, but I'm not deluded enough to think they have it.

I think it’s in the mix with mclaren and probably behind Renault and red bull now. But it was almost certainly the fastest at the start of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Pure pace, ie; one lap pace in qualifying ? If that's what you're measuring it by, then go measure again because you're wrong.

Put Hamilton or Max into one, where do you think it would be then?

Ms

I only noticed while watching a video there on You-Tube that on the Racing Point car on the roll hoop that Bambardier sponsor them too. I thought Bombardier were in financial trouble and had been bought by Airbus at least there small plane had to become the Airbus A220.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

vectra wrote: »
    Put Hamilton or Max into one, where do you think it would be then?

They would be behind Mercedes and Red Bull. On absolute pace the Racing Point is still a second behind Mercedes. No driver can make up that much difference

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

pjohnson wrote: »
    Does Latifi's dad not still have a big chunk of money tied to Williams?

He owns their two largest sponsors Sofina and Lavazza.

Perez brings Telmex, Telcel and Claro. Perez's sponsors have totalled up to £20m per season in the past but his current salary is rumoured to be £8m.

There were rumours that Mercedes were only giving Williams a £5m discount on engines in exchange for Russel or that only Russel's engines were free. Renault could give a similar discount to get that relationship started, to try to get some money back, and to have someone to make the works team when they pull out at the end of 2021 or maybe 2022.

Ms

GarIT wrote: »
    He owns their two largest sponsors Sofina and Lavazza.

Perez brings Telmex, Telcel and Claro. Perez's sponsors have totalled up to £20m per season in the past but his current salary is rumoured to be £8m.

There were rumours that Mercedes were only giving Williams a £5m discount on engines in exchange for Russel or that only Russel's engines were free. Renault could give a similar discount to get that relationship started, to try to get some money back, and to have someone to make the works team when they pull out at the end of 2021 or maybe 2022.
    Renault are not going to pull out soon just a name change to Alpine althought I think they should keep it Renault Alpine or Alpine Renault myself. They are going to use it to get Alpine recognised as a mini Ferrari.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,159 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Renault are not going to pull out soon just a name change to Alpine althought I think they should keep it Renault Alpine or Alpine Renault myself. They are going to use it to get Alpine recognised as a mini Ferrari.
    Constructor name probably be Alpine-Renault.

What a time to launch a luxury car brand...

I wouldn’t say anything is certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

What a time to launch a luxury car brand...

I wouldn’t say anything is certain.

It not exactly a luxury brand, it's a sports brand and it's been around since the 50s

duploelabs wrote: »
    It not exactly a luxury brand, it's a sports brand and it's been around since the 50s

Yeah and Renault bought it in the 70s and never really used it much until now. So it’s effectively a relaunch.

Here’s a whatcar review
    https://www.whatcar.com/alpine/a110/coupe/review/n185

Prices to rival the Porsche Cayman: “ And what are those rivals? Well, small and lightweight doesn’t mean cheap in the case of the A110. It’s priced to compete with some pretty serious machines, such as the Porsche Cayman and 2.0-litre Jaguar F-Type, as well as another sports car returnee, the Toyota Supra.”

Sports brand, luxury brand... call it whatever you want. It’s the kind of product that relies notch lots of people having discretionary spending

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Harika

All comes down for Williams what they want to achieve long term, next season is a write off, so why not get the maximum out of the pay drivers? 2021 is rebuilt and 2022 progress into the midfield.
    Mercedes will want to keep Russell available, latifi and Perez bring money with Perez clearly the faster driver.
    From F2 the young russian will bring money too, just not sure how much his daddy is going to spend if he might get a Haas seat cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

In the name of the father, son, and holy spirit. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Grosjean has confirmed on his Facebook (and probably other social media platforms too) that he's leaving Haas.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement