Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Discovery 3x13 - 'That Hope Is You, Part 2' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭Rawr

pah wrote: »
    The idea of the TARDIS turbolift is just insulting.

It also kind of felt like they weren't really sure how to build up a Turbo-lift chase scene while working within the confines of the Turbo-lift shaft system. (Which could actually have been good if done right). And so they forget everything we already know about starships and make up that TARDIS-esque lift-space out of what I assume was plot convenience.

Major Grin on YouTube did make an interesting video piece suggesting that Starfleet of this era might of actually had space-bending TARDIS-like technology. Particularly the ship used by this guy:

5717674_full-star-trek-a-matter-of-time-quotes-star-trek-the-next-generation-s5e9-a-matter-of-time-recap.jpg

If so, a pretty interesting TNG call-back. *However*, if future Starfleet has this ability, why didn't they establish this *before* they made it a major feature of the finale?! Alas, I feel the answer as usual lies alas with sub-par writing and feckless showrunning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Evade

Enterprise had a bigger on the inside ship from around STD season 3's time too. So if the technology exists and is stable enough to use on starships it undermines the severity of the Burn when something outwardly the size and mass of a shuttle could have almost unlimited internal volume. Tiny slivers of dilithium could be used to ferry massive amounts of cargo and personnel around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

I'm glad you enjoyed it.

I thought it was absolute muck.

The idea of the TARDIS turbolift is just insulting.

I’m sure they didn’t mean it to be insulting. :)

Rawr wrote: »
    It also kind of felt like they weren't really sure how to build up a Turbo-lift chase scene while working within the confines of the Turbo-lift shaft system. (Which could actually have been good if done right). And so they forget everything we already know about starships and make up that TARDIS-esque lift-space out of what I assume was plot convenience.

Major Grin on YouTube did make an interesting video piece suggesting that Starfleet of this era might of actually had space-bending TARDIS-like technology. Particularly the ship used by this guy:

5717674_full-star-trek-a-matter-of-time-quotes-star-trek-the-next-generation-s5e9-a-matter-of-time-recap.jpg

If so, a pretty interesting TNG call-back. *However*, if future Starfleet has this ability, why didn't they establish this *before* they made it a major feature of the finale?! Alas, I feel the answer as usual lies alas with sub-par writing and feckless showrunning.

It is typical. Makers of Star Trek TV want to to go big on action but go too far :p

The scene would have been much better if it occurred in a “normal” lift shaft or in a much much much smaller turbo lift central hub.

In the final few minutes did Burnham refer to Tilly as Number One? I am hoping that season 4 brings a new second in command. Saru’s reason for choosing Tilly made sense and she proved herself competent but the first officer should have been one of the other bridge crew - Tilly already has plenty of story time and I would like to see more of the others supporting characters.

It is typical. Makers of Star Trek TV want to to go big on action but go too far :p

The scene would have been much better if it occurred in a “normal” lift shaft or in a much much much smaller turbo lift central hub.

In the final few minutes did Burnham refer to Tilly as Number One? I am hoping that season 4 brings a new second in command. Saru’s reason for choosing Tilly made sense and she proved herself competent but the first officer should have been one of the other bridge crew - Tilly already has plenty of story time and I would like to see more of the others supporting characters.

Saru and Tilly as Captain and FO seemed more natural character-wise, and might have given the show a bit of more a solid Trek grounding if they had handled it better. They had the opportunity to give Tilly a decent development arc which could have been really good. She was a favourite of mine in Season 1, but following a second season of training marathons around the saucer section, bizare outbursts in front of admirals and "the power of math people!!"...her development came to a crashing halt. So even though her character gelled well with Saru, she was no Officer. She was no Lieutenant Nog at the end of DS9 who had grown up from a kid, to a Cadet, to an Ensign and before our eyes became proper Starfleet. Discovery never showed us that.

Who will Michael's First Officer be? I can't for the life of me muster enough damns to give about the make up of the Discovery's crew going forward. I'm done with this show, it's just too disappointing at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Saru and Tilly as Captain and FO seemed more natural character-wise, and might have given the show a bit of more a solid Trek grounding if they had handled it better. They had the opportunity to give Tilly a decent development arc which could have been really good. She was a favourite of mine in Season 1, but following a second season of training marathons around the saucer section, bizare outbursts in front of admirals and "the power of math people!!"...her development came to a crashing halt. So even though her character gelled well with Saru, she was no Officer. She was no Lieutenant Nog at the end of DS9 who had grown up from a kid, to a Cadet, to an Ensign and before our eyes became proper Starfleet. Discovery never showed us that.

Who will Michael's First Officer be? I can't for the life of me muster enough damns to give about the make up of the Discovery's crew going forward. I'm done with this show, it's just too disappointing at this stage.

I’m sticking with Picard..... can’t imagine wAtching anymore discovery....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I’m sticking with Picard..... can’t imagine wAtching anymore discovery....

I wouldn't even be shocked if they do pick Picard as her FO ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭pah

https://twitter.com/MikeySpock/status/1360030049483776001?s=19

It seems you could offer your thoughts here.

https://twitter.com/MikeySpock/status/1360030049483776001?s=19

It seems you could offer your thoughts here.

Or you could risk it all for the crew member...in this box;

hqdefault.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Surely there's some kind of shenanigans that has caused 2 Burnhams to exist, allowing her to be her own first officer

• Advertisement

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Surely there's some kind of shenanigans that has caused 2 Burnhams to exist, allowing her to be her own first officer

My mind went straight to “will they/ won’t they” relationship between captain and XO.

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,733 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

My mind went straight to “will they/ won’t they” relationship between captain and XO.

:p

Ohh dont give them ideas.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

Burnham's really the only one good enough for Burnham.

Having two Burnhams isn't a terrible idea. It would be a great way for Captain Burnham to see how insubordinate and insufferably smug XO Burnham is.

Would beat Rimmer as the most smug pair of gits

tenor.gif

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I love how even with a simple piece of static trickery like the above, you can still see the vertical join along the middle of the frame, the slight difference in the lighting , or quality of the video tape :D

Two Burnhams might work, if done right (it wouldn't be, but, here we are): Farscape did this for a sizable chunk of one of its seasons. The main human character, Chrichton, was split into two versions of himself. Not a clone or facsimile, but identical and IIRC was never made clear who was "the original" so to speak. It was a rather brilliant use because both versions went off on their own adventures we followed, the differences between them formed from experience - not lazy "OMG evil clone!" drama.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Yeah I really enjoyed that particular story arc in Farscape. There was enough of a character development arc with the twin who eventually got killed off to make that death carry emotional weight as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Stark wrote: »
    Yeah I really enjoyed that particular story arc in Farscape. There was enough of a character development arc with the twin who eventually got killed off to make that death carry emotional weight as well.

Was it the twin though? Long time since I rewatched the series but my memory says there was a moment when it became unclear who was who, and was never confirmed after that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Well they were both "twins" :) Same as when Voyager got duplicated in "Deadlock".

• Advertisement

They were essentially Riker style transporter duplicates, the same person with the same life until the split both oas original as each other. You have to feel bad for Moya Crichton for a bit
    not only does Talyn Crichton get to spend all that time with Aeryn, and Winona, then he dies in her arms and she can barely look at Moya Crichton when they're reunited.

I started a rewatch of Farscape recently, I'm up to the end of season one about to meet everyone's favourite leather clad halfbreed.

Scorpius (and Harvey :D ) was easily one of the great SciFi TV villains. Total charismatic evil. While Aeryn and Crichton's love life has since only been rivalled by Fitz & Simmons from Agents of SHIELD, for that "oh my god, give these people a break!" response. I'm glad the show got to go out (relatively) on its own terms, wrap up its various stories in a neat bow.

Harvey was one of the best decisions they could have made
    keeping "Scorpius" around in John's head so he's an ever present threat without him showing up every episode and having the heroes narrowly escape all the time.

pixelburp wrote: »
    I love how even with a simple piece of static trickery like the above, you can still see the vertical join along the middle of the frame, the slight difference in the lighting , or quality of the video tape :D

Two Burnhams might work, if done right (it wouldn't be, but, here we are): Farscape did this for a sizable chunk of one of its seasons. The main human character, Chrichton, was split into two versions of himself. Not a clone or facsimile, but identical and IIRC was never made clear who was "the original" so to speak. It was a rather brilliant use because both versions went off on their own adventures we followed, the differences between them formed from experience - not lazy "OMG evil clone!" drama.

I only got a few episodes into Farscape. Chrichton (or the actor playing him) was very bad. A season with two of them? :p

I only got a few episodes into Farscape. Chrichton (or the actor playing him) was very bad. A season with two of them? :p

Go back; give it a season. This was very definitely one of those shows that took about a half-season+ to get its act together. Some of the first episodes were quite ropey (and, appropriately enough, like warmed-up Trek episodes).

Among many other improvements, the show stopped trying to make Crichton the hero, and let him descended into a fun form of (space) madness.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Go back; give it a season. This was very definitely one of those shows that took about a half-season+ to get its act together. Some of the first episodes were quite ropey (and, appropriately enough, like warmed-up Trek episodes).

Among many other improvements, the show stopped trying to make Crichton the hero, and let him descended into a fun form of (space) madness.

I did give it a second look (was it on Netflix? It was definitely a streaming service because it got removed just a few days after I started) a few years ago.

My memory of the show is of the Crichton actor walking around like he is asleep.

He was the same in Stargate - also the reason I stopped watching that.

I will try again at some stage.

• Advertisement
Advertisement