Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weatherspoons in discussions for Carlow Site

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

iano.p wrote: »
    Carpet can be scrubed with bleach. We said the same that it won't last a painter dropped paint on it and you wouldn't tell where it happened onces it was cleaned . I don't like the lay out at all to me it isn't a bar it's more a restaurant. I think it will work the cheap beer is going to pull people in it's busy most mornings I go past so food must not be too bad.

cleaning costs money, and a place that sells cheap beer will have a lot of it spilled on the carpet. I dont get the logic - though it is more of a restaurant. Lots of microwaved food though (https://www.reddit.com/r/AskUK/comments/5x4p29/wetherspoons_workers_of_reddit_what_goes_on_the/)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭hadepsx

Regarding the food, Went in twice now to give it a chance. On both morning's the food was only warm when served, not hot at all. On both days it took ages for the food to arrive. On the second day I went to get a coffee refill and by the time I got back the food was cold, and I found eggshell in the fried egg. This was not helped by the fact that one of the self service machine's wasn't working, meaning there was a bit of a que for the one that was working. They need to install more self service machine's as only having two is a bad idea for such a busy place. The milk and sugar was running out fast too. The carpet is a terrible idea, food and drink will wreck it. Also the toilets are nice, but the floors were very sticky on both days. Very cramped seating arrangement near the front door. I would hope the middle line of seats are removed at nights/weekends as I can imagine a lot of arguments between drunk people if they bounce of each other as a result of the tight quarters. The upstairs terrace is very nice though. Haven't tried the drink, but I'll be in there Saturday to test it out. So hoping it's better at night time than during the day. As another poster has said, avoid the place if only looking for food.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Myself and the missus were thinking of traveling to weatherspoons either this evening or tomorrow driving from blessington. Mainly for food as driving so no drinking.

But from reading this Looks like not the best for food so maybe will give it a miss.

Or has it improved

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Myself and the missus were thinking of traveling to weatherspoons either this evening or tomorrow driving from blessington. Mainly for food as driving so no drinking.

But from reading this Looks like not the best for food so maybe will give it a miss.

Or has it improved

I'm not sure why you'd travel a distance to go to a pub that's not renowned for its food :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    I'm not sure why you'd travel a distance to go to a pub that's not renowned for its food :confused:

Yeah, stick with Germaines in Balto to be honest. Alternatively if you absolutely must Germaines own a hotel in Carlow called the Clink whose food offering is 100 times what an English pub chains reheated tosh is.

• Advertisement

Lot of ppl over here were sayin they’ll travel over to see what weatherspoons in Carlow is like.

It’s the first weatherspoons outside of Dublin in Ireland as far as I know

Lot of ppl over here were sayin they’ll travel over to see what weatherspoons in Carlow is like.

It’s the first weatherspoons outside of Dublin in Ireland as far as I know

There's another in Cork also and they're just another pub to be honest the beer and deals are a bit better but their target is the beer drinkers food is an add on imo. As above the clink is a nice spot and sure you may aswell make a night of it and book a room you can try out wetherspoons also ;) . I'd also recommend pimento or mimosa tapas bars.

There's another in Cork also and they're just another pub to be honest the beer and deals are a bit better but their target is the beer drinkers food is an add on imo. As above the clink is a nice spot and sure you may aswell make a night of it and book a room you can try out wetherspoons also ;) . I'd also recommend pimento or mimosa tapas bars.

The missus loves the tapas. We’ve been there maybe 3 times over the last year or so. Always decent but prices are not cheap

Becoming an occasional haunt now; despite myself.

Pizza & a pint is my usual order; no 5 go mad on a foodie adventure for me; wouldn't want to tax the staff to be fair.

Bit mad though to have to identify a table/number before ordering; I was hoping to just say "over there" etc. esp. as it wasn't too hectic at 7 or 8pm this evening; that's the time it struck em as soulless; do they ever turn on the TV at all I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    Becoming an occasional haunt now; despite myself.

Pizza & a pint is my usual order; no 5 go mad on a foodie adventure for me; wouldn't want to tax the staff to be fair.

Bit mad though to have to identify a table/number before ordering; I was hoping to just say "over there" etc. esp. as it wasn't too hectic at 7 or 8pm this evening; that's the time it struck em as soulless; do they ever turn on the TV at all I wonder?

I was in there last week and was speaking to one of the staff. They're waiting on an aerial / receiver seemingly. They'll only have FTA channels, but will be showing some sport (he mentioned the rugby world cup).

• Advertisement

Still havnt got over to carlow to try it

Good friend from blessington was in it last week

Said very good value food wise and place was packed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭patrickc

I was there with the wife tonight. The app wasn't working right so I ordered from the bar, our food was there within 10 minutes and was very good. The drinks were all good as were the prices. The only down side was some of the punters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 PinaKolada

Was in there a while back. Couldn't get the app to work so we went to the bar to order and pay (one of us had to stay and guard the table) which was rammed with young lads on the tear. Absolute chaos.

Food was fast and cheap but it wasn't nice cheap food like chipper, it was cheap cheap food. Like supervalu chunky cut frozen chips and Birdseye quarter pounder cheap. **** you'd cook yourself in the oven at home.

I guess it is what it is though. It's not a typical restaurant and the food isn't great but they can pump the food out fast and cheap. Ideal for students and people out for the night but wouldn't be on my list of places to frequent in future unless I was out on the lash.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,462 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I was there a few weeks ago with my parents and their grandkids. Not a great experience.

Ordering food through the app was a pain in the arse (especially for 6 people).

None of us are in any rush to go back. Food was poor. Chips were bland and luke warm. Burger was a like it came from a supermarket pack.

My nephew got a pepperoni pizza and it had 6 miserable pieces of pepperoni on it. He said it was too salty too.

The place was jammed though... they must be doing something right.
    As a customer experience, it was awful.

Still havnt had a chance to get over but a friend was there last week and said it was decent enough.

He went for fish and chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭cocaliquid

wow 8 pages. People most have very low standards to even try the place out

cocaliquid wrote: »

They're not that bad a spot and I wouldn't be a fan of their establishments.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

It's all to do with price.

Do you expect Shelbourne Hotel service at Wetherspoons prices?

Why?

They are very popular and I’ve heard loads of good reviews of them so far

• Registered Users Posts: 36 UserNo1

Why?

They are very popular and I’ve heard loads of good reviews of them so far[/quote
    BattleCorp wrote: »
    It's all to do with price.

Do you expect Shelbourne Hotel service at Wetherspoons prices?

Think the last poster was referring to local Irish establishments that offer better quality food.

The Click offers quality service and the food is tasty. Just pay a bit more

People like the idea of a bargain. But in reality there getting fleeced.

Please stop posting giving advertising to a company that heats up dog food. Then feeds it to people with low IQ

• Advertisement

UserNo1 wrote: »
    Why?

They are very popular and I’ve heard loads of good reviews of them so far[/quote

Think the last poster was referring to local Irish establishments that offer better quality food.

The Click offers quality service and the food is tasty. Just pay a bit more

People like the idea of a bargain. But in reality there getting fleeced.

Please stop posting giving advertising to a company that heats up dog food. Then feeds it to people with low IQ

What the hell are you on about

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

UserNo1 wrote: »

What the hell are you on about

I think he/she is implying that anybody who frequents Wetherspoons has a low IQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

I think he/she is implying that anybody who frequents Wetherspoons has a low IQ.

Let's be honest, Wetherspoon's food is not going to win any awards, and is basically like eating a selection of frozen food from Iceland. But it's priced accordingly.

I do get the feeling that a lot of the negative comments and reviews I've seen online may come from certain businesses who feel threatened. I don't think most Carlow pubs need to worry, except those who are fleecing the public.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Mod Note- less of the snarky insults, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

The Deli-deal at 4.95 is good value.

Bowl of soup

+ panini/wrap

+ unlimited tea/coffee

= 4.95

https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/pubs/all-pubs/republic-of-ireland/county-carlow/the-tullow-gate-carlow

From that link is also Tims takes on Brexit; as a pro Brexiteer is he not a tad hypocritical?

Think he'll find that overall Brexit with deal or no deal, is bad for Ireland from a socio-economic p.o.v.; things're already heating up in the North over last 5-6 years on both sides; we don't want destabilising of an already tenuous peace process; I'm too old to want to see those days returning.

https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/tims-viewpoint

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭techman1

Was in there last night, very cheap and good pints, 3.50 euros for a lovely pint of Carlsberg. Also very comfortable, chilled atmosphere, lovely clean toilets.

Must be a big hit with the students in Carlow and it keeps manners on the other publicans in that they can't push up the price of their own drink too much

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭RossGeller

"Chilled atmosphere" - Not a chance . I've been there plenty of times and there is always some kind of a ruckus between the staff and customers.

I agree about the toilets though, probably the nicest pub toilets in Carlow.

Advertisement