Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weatherspoons in discussions for Carlow Site

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

There was a post in the Random Waffle Thread a few days/weeks ago saying that they were looking at Traders (the old Buzz's) and I heard over the weekend that they had bought it already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

They've been working in there for two weeks now. Done deal about a month ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

The carlow court hotel managment walked away from its bar and hotel owing millions and making many redundant and they have yet to pay its staf at least 3 weeks back pay and in some cases 10 years redundancy money. Perhaps this may be the place they will take????

tonyheaney wrote: »
    The carlow court hotel managment walked away from its bar and hotel owing millions and making many redundant and they have yet to pay its staf at least 3 weeks back pay and in some cases 10 years redundancy money. Perhaps this may be the place they will take????

They've already bought the place on Tullow St. Although what happened to the Courthouse Hotel staff is a disgrace

i know, were still waiting p45s and exit letters and not a word from them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

i know, were still waiting p45s and exit letters and not a word from them
    the same company who owned the Courthouse hotel owned by a chinese family owe hundreds of thousands in rates to the county council and also have some other hotels which are also in arrears for rates according to the Carlow advertiser today.

So much for "the Chinese are coming!" They sound more like the maurading Vikings

chan holdings limited they own a lot .... well they did. BTW what is the Carlow advertiser

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

The Carlow Advertiser is a free newspaper. Can we keep this thread on the topic of Weatherspoons please?

The Carlow Advertiser is a free newspaper. Can we keep this thread on the topic of Weatherspoons please?

sorry but i know the Carlow nationalist and the Carlow people but never heard of Carlow Advertiser

• Registered Users Posts: 60,367 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

sorry but i know the Carlow nationalist and the Carlow people but never heard of Carlow Advertiser

It's the old name for the Carlow People.

Weatherspoons have €3m to invest(The Nationalist) in the premises hopefully Carlow contractors will get the refurb job and the money stays in Carlow

• Advertisement

They use the same companies for everything across the country. Pretty sure they're Northern Irish based.

Scheduled opening in 6-8 weeks so I'm told

Hopefully it will bring a good footfall to that end of the town if nothing else some of the other shops etc might get something from it.

I think they are another zero hour employer so pay wise they mightn't be the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

It's the old name for the Carlow People.

not really, the carlow advertiser was a freebie out years ago by barry duggan in carlow printing company. there was also the carlow post, up staplestown road. carlow people went free a few years back so maybe thats where the confusion lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

no word of Wetherspoons having a date for the Carlow pub in todays IT article, so not looking like 6-8 weeks..

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/agribusiness-and-food/jd-wetherspoon-to-open-three-new-bars-in-ireland-1.2219295#.VVxVhR-JrB4.twitter

That's the timescale they told me, but they're not making it official clearly!

And by they, I mean someone involved in the build, not Wetherspoons officials or anything, but a reliable source.

Honestly, looking forward to it bringing business to the street. A lot have been asking if I'm worried about them taking custom from me, but they're cheapo Lavazza coffee tastes terrible so I'm not overly concerned. The more eyes and feet on the street, the better long term.

they mentioned 3 places and not carlow

Same way they said they were looking at sites when I said they'd bought Buzz's. They won't publicly say anything until they're 100% certain it's gonna happen, that's how any multinational PR dept works

i worked for them many years ago they are pretty muck mcdonalds of the beer trade

Ah we're all well aware of that, but sure I'll just start thinking of Weatherspoons based jokes for the cafe blackboard now....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

Hey

Anyone heard anything about the Carlow location, are they opening up anytime soon?

Seem to be ready for opening this long time...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

While Mr Martin said the group remains committed to expanding further in Ireland he admitted it did not expect to be opening new bars anytime soon.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/agribusiness-and-food/wetherspoon-irish-expansion-on-hold-due-to-property-prices-1.2720091

They already own the building in Carlow I thought.

They are being held up by constant planning objections rumour town gossip is it's from a rival business.

Grain of salt needs to be taken of course as it's just a rumor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Bar man from across the road told me his boss n the owner or Dinn Ri had objected due to "cheap alcohol" and it would be of negative impact to the street. Dunno how true it is tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

Owryan wrote: »
    Bar man from across the road told me his boss n the owner or Dinn Ri had objected due to "cheap alcohol" and it would be of negative impact to the street. Dunno how true it is tho.

That has to be true doesn't it, are objections a matter of public knowledge? There should be somewhere it can be found out. I think it's disgraceful, if true, that one business can hold the town of Carlow at ransom with crappy €5 pints of Heineken and crappy food.

There's only 2 weatherspoons in the south of Ireland, imaging what a coop it would have been for Carlow to have the 3rd one :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭EmoCourt

Planning application is here:

eplanning.ie/CarlowCC/AppFileRefDetails/15197/0

No objections are listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

There's only 2 weatherspoons in the south of Ireland, imaging what a coop it would have been for Carlow to have the 3rd one :mad:

I'm not sure if you have much experience of wetherspoons but I can promise if you're expecting fine dining and quality surroundings you're in for a shock.

Think of them as the euro shop of pubs. They're cheap and the food is available presumably for licensing reasons it would be a long shout from good quality pub grub.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

Looks as thought the works were contested to An Board Pleanála but approved in February.
    The appellant wasn't the local business owner as rumored in this thread but a director of a company called "CTP BARS LIMITED" (Company Number:518594) which is appears is now in liquidation since 15th September 2016 according to both the CRO and solocheck.
    The directors name and address match that of person whom lodged the appeal.

You have to feel for business such as those appealing, struggling to survive in the market, CTP bars for example has only been around since 2012.
    These companies that are trying to establish themselves really can't complete with the superchains of pubs like Wetherspoons, its akin to a corner shop and a supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

These companies that are trying to establish themselves really can't complete with the superchains of pubs like Wetherspoons, its akin to a corner shop and a supermarket.

There's a cheap alternative in most pubs in the town.
    Tullys were doing Tuborg @ €2.70 for a long time.

For years, the busiest pub in Carlow has been the most expensive (Med).
    Dinn Rí / Teach aren't cheap places but are always busy.

I think pints of the more recognizable beers are €3.95 in JDW, which while cheap, isn't as cheap as we originally thought they'd be.

Hopefully they go ahead with this development, as it's badly needed in the town, for both competitiveness of pricing and range of beers.

I'd certainly use it as a starting point on a night out.

• Advertisement

JD Wetherspoons staff recruitment day will take place on Friday, January 4, between 10am and 4pm in Carlow Town.

I didn't see where they are holding so keep an eye out around town.

Advertisement