Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weatherspoons in discussions for Carlow Site

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    Not sure what time it began or ended at on Friday night too; think todays was a replacement for yesterdays (Saturdays) due to flooding/structural damage....

What's that all about? Has the place flooded already :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 60,338 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It was open today and seemed full enough when I walked past this afternoon.

I saw a load of tracksuited white socked teenage/early 20's lads walk out of it and well that put me off of going in to have a look.

If that is the client base they are getting it won't be for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭CarlowPerth

It was open today and seemed full enough when I walked past this afternoon.

I saw a load of tracksuited white socked teenage/early 20's lads walk out of it and well that put me off of going in to have a look.

If that is the client base they are getting it won't be for me.

So those people are not entitled to go look at a new place in their town too?

Honestly, the some people posting in this forum, who complain about Carlow ALOT, should seriously look at how negative they are on here.

They are well entitled to go in I never said they weren't.

What I did say was if that is the client base I won't be going in.

So ride off there on your high horse!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭CarlowPerth

They are well entitled to go in I never said they weren't.

What I did say was if that is the client base I won't be going in.

So ride off there on your high horse!

It was the OPENING DAY!!!

Of all people to talk about High Horses. Your attitude is EVERYTHING that is wrong with Carlow yet somehow you think your capable of fixing it.

Enjoy your day, see something you think is good and try post about that.

• Advertisement

Lol Giddyup and off you go!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Mode Note:Ok, less of the personal abuse, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

While I presume it opened on time this morning for/from normal trading hours since 8 bells, Mayor of Carlow, Cllr. Ken Murnane's doing official launch @ 5pm.

Not wholly sure I'm comfortable from a moral/social p.o.v. with a politician, particularly one who holds such a, relatively speaking and in local terms anyway, high office performing such a role; we need to be managing our drinking & controlling it not necessarily promoting it.

But there's an election on the way I guess so all that goes out the window with the unelected Ken.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 the black celt

Wonder where he parked his car today?

Wonder where he parked his car today?

He was a busy man today; cutting the ribbon on the path outside of 'Spoons (not sure quite why not at the door itself.....) before heading to the new garden on Barrack St. for a photo op with LEO Carlow; think he'd an EBS gig on Tullow St. before all that too as I spotted Ml. O'Rourke (Nationalist Photographer) & Kathleen Holohan (CEO/CE of Council) & Cathaoirleach Brian O'Donoghue at that.

As per KCLRs Edwina Grace report live from launch it holds 550; the video on KCLRs social media is quite underwhelming; surely they could've got a local er, personality to do it?

Richie? Sean? Kathryn? With his millions, Saoirse?

EG also indicated that just after ribbon'd been cut 50 people "piled in"; steady on there, that'd barely fill the good room in Scraggs like.

Was told today that it's FREE coffee refills (presumably tea too); initial purchase is 1.80; sure you could spend all day in there if so reading your book/paper & using their Wi-Fi like in that case.

Or is there a limit to amount of refills?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Yeah it's free refills all day, was in there for brekkie this morning, not bad for 5.50 (coffee inc)

Kitchen Staff is already being advertised; thought they'd filled their quota by last Wednesday the 1st of May.

Someone drop a rake of plates? :)

€10.31 p/h starting off rising to a pay increase after 13 weeks.

I presume this "Under 21`s may attract a lower rate of pay" bit's legal? Think it's to do with perceived lack of experience?

Here's the full spec > https://www.wetherspoonjobs.ie/recruitment/vacancyView.php?requirementId=391828

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Be well and win

Stuck my head in there yesterday, very busy but no skangers in tracksuits. mostly people eating and it looked more like a a restaurant then a pub. Food looked ok but I at first glance I think I'll stick to the Teach

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Any breakfast I have had in the English ones have been mighty.

So i'll be checking them out for the breakfasts alone

If we're early for pavilions, we head for the Old Boro for the breakfast wrap for 3.95 with free refills of coffee.

2.1 Stars Reviews from 7 Punters (though the 2 x 5 Stars seem like bots/fake ones to me so it's probably lower if they're excluded) on Google for JDs > https://www.google.com/search?q=Wetherspoons+Carlow&rlz=1C1GCEA_enIE776IE776&oq=wetherspoons&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j69i57j69i60j69i59j69i61j69i59.9128j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#lrd=0x485d4305e6fd0723:0xfa606ec4b42b90dd,1,,,

Also, and I don't know what it says about the clientele or establishment but there's bouncers on the door 7 nights of the week from 6 O'Clock!

2.1 Stars Reviews from 7 Punters (though the 2 x 5 Stars seem like bots/fake ones to me so it's probably lower if they're excluded) on Google for JDs > https://www.google.com/search?q=Wetherspoons+Carlow&rlz=1C1GCEA_enIE776IE776&oq=wetherspoons&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j69i57j69i60j69i59j69i61j69i59.9128j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#lrd=0x485d4305e6fd0723:0xfa606ec4b42b90dd,1,,,

Also, and I don't know what it says about the clientele or establishment but there's bouncers on the door 7 nights of the week from 6 O'Clock!

Yeah I'd say a couple of those 1 stars are utter ****e aswell No way would someone sit there for 2 hours waiting for food I don't care how patient you are I call BS on that. As for the one with the unclean table why not sit at another? It also wouldn't be uncommon for tables to get cleared and not wiped down during busy periods. The place is open a wet week I'll reserve judgement and as per the usual with reviews you only ever hear the bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Starfleet Student

I was in it last night and wasn't that impressed with as a bar as such it feel more like a restaurant the tall tables aren't big enough to fit four people around really and high stools aren't comfortable to sit on. Now we didn't eat there last night so we will go back and try out the food another time. We felt the staff didn't know how to pour pints or know much about the beers they were selling when we asked them about flavors and what they taste like. One thing we all agreed on is that it looked like the put more effort into the toilets than the bar areas.So for drinking we won't be going back, But as I said we will go back another time to try out the food and hopefully the bar staff will have improved a bit more with experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Kitchen Staff is already being advertised; thought they'd filled their quota by last Wednesday the 1st of May.

Someone drop a rake of plates? :)

€10.31 p/h starting off rising to a pay increase after 13 weeks.

I presume this "Under 21`s may attract a lower rate of pay" bit's legal? Think it's to do with perceived lack of experience?

Here's the full spec > https://www.wetherspoonjobs.ie/recruitment/vacancyView.php?requirementId=391828

Absolutely legal. Different rates of pay from under 18 through to 20 where minimum wage is €9.80.
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/pay_and_employment/pay_inc_min_wage.html

Popped in this evening; took pretty much every menu away with me to read at my leisure as there's a lot of detail & I'm a slow reader (had brought the paper with me; won't make that mistake next time!)

Initial order was €2.95 for Strongbow Cider (tall glass; presume a pint!?) so was happy with that.

Pizza (Margherita) was €7.70 (with soft drink but I'd the cider already ordered & started on) or €9.70 with alcoholic drink (would imagine there's limitations on it but would hope the Strongbow would've been an option; will find out next time).

No complaints; admittedly my F&B order wasn't too taxing.

Seemed busy enough though Kildare v Wicklow was on so that might've added to crowd a bit as quite a few jerseys there up til 6pm or so with a 7pm throw in.

Bar's lengthy enough; plenty of bar staff to serve you.

Would suggest if er "a solo traveller" that you use the app to order as it's a p.i.t.h. having to go find a table and try remember number.

Added bonus is It's All About Carlow wasn't on duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Yeah I'd say a couple of those 1 stars are utter ****e aswell No way would someone sit there for 2 hours waiting for food I don't care how patient you are I call BS on that. As for the one with the unclean table why not sit at another? It also wouldn't be uncommon for tables to get cleared and not wiped down during busy periods. The place is open a wet week I'll reserve judgement and as per the usual with reviews you only ever hear the bad.

I was there the Bank Holiday Saturday, there were two penneys staff sitting near us who waited 1hr 20 minutes for food. We were waiting close to an hour, can easily imagine others were waiting 2 hours. Staff member said they were completely snowed under in the kitchen and couldn't keep up. Place was absolutely packed, this was around 1.45pm we went in. Food was awful, wife had a curry which had clearly been sitting somewhere to keep warm and had developed a skin on top of the sauce. I had the scampi and chips, scampi was about the same as Lidl frozen bag, chips were terrible. Seems like it'll be fine for drinks and good value there but i wouldn't go near the place for food. Would rather pay the extra few quid for Mimosa or if i want pub food i'd go to Teach or Dinn Ri.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭ScallionAyter

Tried it yesterday too. Hard to believe they spent 3 million quid on the building - it looks dark and dated already, not helped by carpet. It feels more like a restaurant than a pub. The bar is probably the nicest part of the interiors. The tables are small and very close together. High stools are very uncomfortable. Reddy's somewhat keep the lounge / bar and the eating area separate but in WS's it's one big eating area with self-service coffee docks. Lots of very young looking drinkers in there, and a fair amount of them dressed in their finest tracksuits and peaky-blinders haircuts. Two door staff outside and at least one bouncer inside.

Hopefully it attracts all the worst types going forward, and actually improves the other pubs.

Went to Ewings for a second pint just to get WS's out of my system. Will try La Boheme next time i'm out.

Tried it yesterday too. Hard to believe they spent 3 million quid on the building - it looks dark and dated already, not helped by carpet. It feels more like a restaurant than a pub. The bar is probably the nicest part of the interiors. The tables are small and very close together. High stools are very uncomfortable. Reddy's somewhat keep the lounge / bar and the eating area separate but in WS's it's one big eating area with self-service coffee docks. Lots of very young looking drinkers in there, and a fair amount of them dressed in their finest tracksuits and peaky-blinders haircuts. Two door staff outside and at least one bouncer inside.

Hopefully it attracts all the worst types going forward, and actually improves the other pubs.

Went to Ewings for a second pint just to get WS's out of my system. Will try La Boheme next time i'm out.

What's Ewings like? I've always mean't to drop in for a pint it looks like a decent spot for a quiet pint and a match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭ScallionAyter

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    What's Ewings like? I've always mean't to drop in for a pint it looks like a decent spot for a quiet pint and a match.

Ewings is grand. There's a good mix of ages and it's clean and fairly well laid out around the bar at the centre. Not covered in football scarves and flags like the Irishmans. A nice vibe anytime i've been in there. My only gripe is the oversized smoking area, which isn't really outdoors so they'd be better off incorporating it into the rest of the pub to offer more seating for non-smokers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭votecounts

Popped in for a few beers and lunch on Saturday which was grand. Noticed they don't show any sports which will cost them in the long term such as GAA and Champions League Final coming up

votecounts wrote: »
    Popped in for a few beers and lunch on Saturday which was grand. Noticed they don't show any sports which will cost them in the long term such as GAA and Champions League Final coming up

There's a TV down end of bar on L.H.S. in corner; no idea of dimensions but probably 40" Screen?

Wasn't on Saturday when I was in at tea-time but that might've been to do with lack of Sky licence.....maybe?

Just a hunch because Heineken Rugby Cup Final was on at that time and it wasn't on; other than that there wasn't much live sport on; no Play Offs for example and Wicklow v Kildare wasn't on til 7; that brought a few in beforehand though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭votecounts

There's a TV down end of bar on L.H.S. in corner; no idea of dimensions but probably 40" Screen?

Wasn't on Saturday when I was in at tea-time but that might've been to do with lack of Sky licence.....maybe?

Just a hunch because Heineken Rugby Cup Final was on at that time and it wasn't on; other than that there wasn't much live sport on; no Play Offs for example and Wicklow v Kildare wasn't on til 7; that brought a few in beforehand though.
    I seen the TV alright but it wasn't on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Dunebasher

Visited last Wednesday. Ordered lunch at 3pm. Got it 50mins later. Food was not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭maccored

i dont understand the logic of having a carpet. It'll be stinking after enough beer has been spilled on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

maccored wrote:
    i dont understand the logic of having a carpet. It'll be stinking after enough beer has been spilled on it

Carpet can be scrubed with bleach. We said the same that it won't last a painter dropped paint on it and you wouldn't tell where it happened onces it was cleaned . I don't like the lay out at all to me it isn't a bar it's more a restaurant. I think it will work the cheap beer is going to pull people in it's busy most mornings I go past so food must not be too bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

As someone currently living in the UK, I'm well used to Wetherspoon's. They pretty much keep it the same in every one, so I'm not surprised it's carpeted as I've never seen one with a timber or tiled floor. You'd never go into them for atmosphere that's for sure!

I do quite like that they don't show sport, as there's plenty of other places that will show that. Mad to see cask ales in Carlow, wonder how they'll go down. I've grown partial to it over here but wonder how it'll do at home.

Advertisement