Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weatherspoons in discussions for Carlow Site

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,851 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Still havnt got over to carlow to try it

Good friend from blessington was in it last week

Said very good value food wise and place was packed out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,931 ✭✭✭patrickc

I was there with the wife tonight. The app wasn't working right so I ordered from the bar, our food was there within 10 minutes and was very good. The drinks were all good as were the prices. The only down side was some of the punters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 PinaKolada

Was in there a while back. Couldn't get the app to work so we went to the bar to order and pay (one of us had to stay and guard the table) which was rammed with young lads on the tear. Absolute chaos.

Food was fast and cheap but it wasn't nice cheap food like chipper, it was cheap cheap food. Like supervalu chunky cut frozen chips and Birdseye quarter pounder cheap. **** you'd cook yourself in the oven at home.

I guess it is what it is though. It's not a typical restaurant and the food isn't great but they can pump the food out fast and cheap. Ideal for students and people out for the night but wouldn't be on my list of places to frequent in future unless I was out on the lash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I was there a few weeks ago with my parents and their grandkids. Not a great experience.

Ordering food through the app was a pain in the arse (especially for 6 people).

None of us are in any rush to go back. Food was poor. Chips were bland and luke warm. Burger was a like it came from a supermarket pack.

My nephew got a pepperoni pizza and it had 6 miserable pieces of pepperoni on it. He said it was too salty too.

The place was jammed though... they must be doing something right.
    As a customer experience, it was awful.

Still havnt had a chance to get over but a friend was there last week and said it was decent enough.

He went for fish and chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭cocaliquid

wow 8 pages. People most have very low standards to even try the place out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

cocaliquid wrote: »

They're not that bad a spot and I wouldn't be a fan of their establishments.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

It's all to do with price.

Do you expect Shelbourne Hotel service at Wetherspoons prices?

Why?

They are very popular and I’ve heard loads of good reviews of them so far

• Registered Users Posts: 36 UserNo1

Why?

They are very popular and I’ve heard loads of good reviews of them so far[/quote
    BattleCorp wrote: »
    It's all to do with price.

Do you expect Shelbourne Hotel service at Wetherspoons prices?

Think the last poster was referring to local Irish establishments that offer better quality food.

The Click offers quality service and the food is tasty. Just pay a bit more

People like the idea of a bargain. But in reality there getting fleeced.

Please stop posting giving advertising to a company that heats up dog food. Then feeds it to people with low IQ

• Advertisement

UserNo1 wrote: »
    Why?

They are very popular and I’ve heard loads of good reviews of them so far[/quote

Think the last poster was referring to local Irish establishments that offer better quality food.

The Click offers quality service and the food is tasty. Just pay a bit more

People like the idea of a bargain. But in reality there getting fleeced.

Please stop posting giving advertising to a company that heats up dog food. Then feeds it to people with low IQ

What the hell are you on about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

UserNo1 wrote: »

What the hell are you on about

I think he/she is implying that anybody who frequents Wetherspoons has a low IQ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

I think he/she is implying that anybody who frequents Wetherspoons has a low IQ.

Let's be honest, Wetherspoon's food is not going to win any awards, and is basically like eating a selection of frozen food from Iceland. But it's priced accordingly.

I do get the feeling that a lot of the negative comments and reviews I've seen online may come from certain businesses who feel threatened. I don't think most Carlow pubs need to worry, except those who are fleecing the public.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Mod Note- less of the snarky insults, please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

The Deli-deal at 4.95 is good value.

Bowl of soup

+ panini/wrap

+ unlimited tea/coffee

= 4.95

https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/pubs/all-pubs/republic-of-ireland/county-carlow/the-tullow-gate-carlow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

From that link is also Tims takes on Brexit; as a pro Brexiteer is he not a tad hypocritical?

Think he'll find that overall Brexit with deal or no deal, is bad for Ireland from a socio-economic p.o.v.; things're already heating up in the North over last 5-6 years on both sides; we don't want destabilising of an already tenuous peace process; I'm too old to want to see those days returning.

https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/tims-viewpoint

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭techman1

Was in there last night, very cheap and good pints, 3.50 euros for a lovely pint of Carlsberg. Also very comfortable, chilled atmosphere, lovely clean toilets.

Must be a big hit with the students in Carlow and it keeps manners on the other publicans in that they can't push up the price of their own drink too much

• "Chilled atmosphere" - Not a chance . I've been there plenty of times and there is always some kind of a ruckus between the staff and customers.

I agree about the toilets though, probably the nicest pub toilets in Carlow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,895 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Advertisement
Advertisement