Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kaleidoscope 2019

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Irelands first family friendly music and arts camping festival.

I thought all the festivals e.g. atn and ep were family friendly, so I wonder what they mean by this? Is it going to be the first family centered festival, or are they just spoofing?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I thought all the festivals e.g. atn and ep were family friendly, so I wonder what they mean by this? Is it going to be the first family centered festival, or are they just spoofing?

Given every single thing in their original teaser was a spoof, I'd imagine that is too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭lc180

Mr.S wrote: »
    The website was cached before they protected it:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:https://www.kaleidoscopefestival.ie

Not much info to be fair.

Great spot, it's confirmation Festival Republic are involved in Kaleidoscope Festival though.

There are running Community festival in London the same weekend. Lineup is below, can't imagine much crossover with a 'family' based festival but we shall see.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DyJ8Uu7XgAADDmH?format=jpg&name=large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,642 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

So more like a Camp Bestival than a Bestival style.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I’d be shocked if it’s anything other than a load of Irish acts and maybe one well known “heritage “ act.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,331 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I've got kids, beyond me why anyone thinks there a fun thing to bring to a festival. Might suit day trippers from Dublin and Wicklow but besides that they'd want to be free Mitsubishis with every ticket and they take the kids off you on the way in for 72hrs.

Flaming lips will headlines and if it's not the flaming lips with the yoshi robots it'll be them instead.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I’d be shocked if it’s anything other than a load of Irish acts and maybe one well known “heritage “ act.

The fact its being run by Festival Republic id say we will get decent enough headline acts. Id say Tom Jones will be one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭Paddy2012

BaZmO* wrote: »

This is on Glastonbury weekend isn't it? Surely they must be able get a few of their acts to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭corm500

Paddy2012 wrote: »
    This is on Glastonbury weekend isn't it? Surely they must be able get a few of their acts to play.

Kylie?

LGBTQ Festival by the looks of it...only a few weeks after Beatyard.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,838 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

First??

Groove has always been family centered and this looks like something very similar judging by the lingo being used

Also, groove had some excellent bands play and not just Irish bands and a heritage act. Over the few years it's had James, David Gray, Neville staple, Paloma faith, Christy Moore, UB40, fun loving criminals, primal scream, darkness, Paul Heaton etc....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,823 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Mr.S wrote: »
    The guys behind Mother have announced a festival with MCD taking place in Dublin, in August - that must be the thing in Dun Laoghaire?

https://www.lovesensation.ie/

MCD are busy this summer.

I thought DL was June with Madness?

Eod100 wrote: »
    I thought DL was June with Madness?

Are you sure that's not DHL, I'm expecting absinthe delivered around that time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭declanleo

There's a weekend festival in Palmerston house near Naas in July,all Heritage acts. https://foreveryoungfestival.ie/

Seems odd there's been no official announcement on this yet especially if they were advertising it already with that huge banner. Just over 3 months to go so would imagine it will be launched pretty soon. Otherwise seems a fairly tight lead-in to sell tickets for a new festival. Granted capacity might not be huge but still..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

declanleo wrote: »
    There's a weekend festival in Palmerston house near Naas in July,all Heritage acts. https://foreveryoungfestival.ie/

first i've heard about this festival - defo interested some decent acts there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Here we go folks - https://www.kaleidoscopefestival.ie/
    INTRODUCING KALEIDOSCOPE

MUSIC & ARTS CAMPING FESTIVAL FOR FAMILIES AND FRIENDS

There has been much speculation about our brand new festival. We are delighted to introduce to you KALEIDOSCOPE - a tantalising new three day camping festival for family and friends. The stunning Russborough House, Blessington will play host to its first EVER festival from Friday 28th to Sunday 30th June 2019.

Inspired by Electric Picnic, KALEIDOSCOPE will harness the magic of the Little Picnic's entertainment and family campsites and transport it to this brand new venue. Like the Picnic, this is a festival you will want to return to year after year. Expect a host of the best music acts and DJs, in addition to programming for babes in arms to teens as well as the grown-ups.

Kaleidoscope will have a loyalty ticket scheme that will reward you with special prices if you have attended Electric Picnic in the past.

Full details of music line-up, entertainment and activities coming soon - make sure to follow us on Instagram, FaceBook and Twitter for the latest updates!

Subject to licence.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,838 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

reminds me of the "boutique" elements of the first picnics.....

So basically what was speculated here, parts of EP meant for kids transported to this but on larger scale?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

I am genuinely unsure if the poster is one of those parody ones or not. Its basically a list of things you might get at a festival.

Scrumdiddlyumtious Festival of Food?
    Group Activities?

Its gotta be a parody.

I am genuinely unsure if the poster is one of those parody ones or not. Its basically a list of things you might get at a festival.

Scrumdiddlyumtious Festival of Food?
    Group Activities?

Its gotta be a parody.

Nah say its just to promote it before putting out line-up and judging by poster line-up won't be the main draw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

How many new festivals are there going to be this summer then?
    - Kaleidoscope
    - Tayto Park festival
    - Forever Young festival in Palmerstown House
    - The Biggest Disco in Navan.
    - Dun Laoghaire harbour (w/e of June bh)?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

How many new festivals are there going to be this summer then?
    - Kaleidoscope
    - Tayto Park festival
    - Forever Young festival in Palmerstown House
    - The Biggest Disco in Navan.
    - Dun Laoghaire harbour (w/e of June bh)?!

Great for families to be fair!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Hoboo

sydthebeat wrote: »
    reminds me of the "boutique" elements of the first picnics.....

The only picnics. Became the Not So Electric Saturday Night in McDonald's O'Connell St around 2010.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Hoboo wrote: »
    The only picnics. Became the Not So Electric Saturday Night in McDonald's O'Connell St around 2010.

Such ****e. You can say you don't fancy it anymore without writing off 3 or 4 hundred thousand of us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

It sounds like a peace offering to families after they let the picnic turn into a warcamp.Picnics version of camp bestival.

Id don't see this as a straight dropping the guantlet to ATN, it's actually gonna take families away from their pals in body and soul and since it's in Wicklow Groove also.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/fashion/kaleidoscope-new-three-day-family-friendly-festival-announced-1.3834259
    Richard Seabrooke is the festival’s creative director. A father-of-two, Seabrooke is a festival and events veteran. While most music and arts festivals have a family-friendly element, Seabrooke says he wanted to create a festival that was aimed squarely at families with quality programming aimed at all age groups.

The programming is geared towards five distinct age groups up to four year of age, five to eight year, nine to 12 years, 13 to 16 and their families. Much of the festival is aimed at “unlocking the creativity and potential within kids” and “setting their minds alight”.

Seabrooke says the festival addresses many of the “pinch points” associated with bringing children to festivals. For instance, there will be a communal breakfast to ease punters into the day while the rest of the programming will be staggered throughout the day to prevent energy levels peaking too early.
    “This isn’t a kiddie festival,” says Seabrooke. “It’s not a children’s programming event that is very much tailored to them and not their parents. It’s the opposite. This is a music and arts festival for everyone.”

“It’s kind of like when school breaks and everyone escapes to the Algarve. This is the Irish version of that. It just happens to be in a field for a weekend.”

“It’s kind of like when school breaks and everyone escapes to the Algarve. This is the Irish version of that. It just happens to be in a field for a weekend.”

Am I missing something or is the Irish version of that not escaping to the Algarve.

Am I missing something or is the Irish version of that not escaping to the Algarve.

Mobile home by the sea, happy out :)

My reading of that was essentially...

"We're different because we're totally kid focused. Everything is geared towards making sure your kids have a good time.

"But we're not kid focused, we're focused on everyone. Everyone."

I won't be surprised to see this bill lean heavily on the heritage acts and the Irish acts. No problem with that - my festival options are plentiful as it is - but it wasn't necessarily what I was hoping for when it was announced that there'd be a new addition to the calendar.

• Advertisement

My reading of that was essentially...

"We're different because we're totally kid focused. Everything is geared towards making sure your kids have a good time.

"But we're not kid focused, we're focused on everyone. Everyone."

I won't be surprised to see this bill lean heavily on the heritage acts and the Irish acts. No problem with that - my festival options are plentiful as it is - but it wasn't necessarily what I was hoping for when it was announced that there'd be a new addition to the calendar.

Yeah can't see many without kids rocking up tbh

Yeah can't see many without kids rocking up tbh

Well, it's hard to see where the rave in the woods fits into the following categories...
    The programming is geared towards five distinct age groups up to four year of age, five to eight year, nine to 12 years, 13 to 16 and their families.

:P

As someone with a toddler, and someone who loves festivals, this sounds tedious! But sure, look, maybe the lineup will be good. We'll be at Body and Soul the weekend before instead with our kid!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

So will this turn into a drink and drug fest do people think?So many kids forced to festivals it very unfair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

This is a great idea to keep the insufferable families away from ATN, Body And Soul and electric picnic

I suspect this could be a failure the longer they hold back on a lineup announcement and seeing that there is already at least 3 festivals out there that cater for adults and families, one the weekend before.

Looking good for some shenanigans in Freetown if there trying to shuffle the families down there. You might see Apex Twin after all....

This is a great idea to keep the insufferable families away from ATN, Body And Soul and electric picnic

Shame they can't do anything to keep the insufferable forum posters away!

Any idea when they are announcing for this one.

Any idea when they are announcing for this one.

Nope, just coming soon was the latest last Thursday. Say it could be out in next week or 2 but that's just guessing tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Nope, just coming soon was the latest last Thursday. Say it could be out in next week or 2 but that's just guessing tbh

Meanwhile families all over the country are booking their June holidays...

Meanwhile families all over the country are booking their June holidays...

It's shaping up to be a total mess, isn't it?

I would imagine that any family that is planning on taking the kids away this summer already has a vague idea of what their plan is. And, in most cases, I would expect bookings...

It seems like an oddly late announcement for a new festival. I can't understand what they're going for by announcing in late March/early April for a late June event that involves camping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Stillill42

It's the Irish Fyre festival. Cut to June bank holiday and Lidl pop-up tents blowing all over the Wicklow countryside, 40 something couples from Foxrock wandering bereft up main street Blessington with plastic champagne flutes in one hand and a bawling toddler in the other. Netflix on high alert.

Is this the same site as Knockanstockan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,138 ✭✭✭endainoz

Stillill42 wrote:
    It's the Irish Fyre festival. Cut to June bank holiday and Lidl pop-up tents blowing all over the Wicklow countryside, 40 something couples from Foxrock wandering bereft up main street Blessington with plastic champagne flutes in one hand and a bawling toddler in the other. Netflix on high alert.

That would make for some segment on reeling in the years.

No, about 4 miles away.

Stillill42 wrote: »

I think the D4 set already their Fyre moment at the Streisand concert in Castletown house years back. The image of the well heeled trudging through the muck in all their finery looking for non existent seats still gives me a little smile 😊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

I'd imagine the soil of the Knockanstockan site has a lingering toxicity that would make it unsuitable for a family friendly event such as this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 314 ✭✭exilec

Leaving it very late to announce anything . Strange set up considering they are aiming at families ??

• Advertisement

exilec wrote: »
    Leaving it very late to announce anything . Strange set up considering they are aiming at families ??

Apparently the lineup is supposed to be released this week.

Advertisement