Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 BillybobT

Hi all

The engine in my Honda V Twin 2216 is cooked, any suggestions on where I might get a replacement (New or secondhand) in the midlands region. Anywhere really if the price is right.

any help gratefully appreciated.

B

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

lidl mower...worth a punt for 200 quid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

fryup wrote: »

I've got one its not bad at all but I'd prefer to be paying a bit less for its. Its just a motor on a deck no clutch, gearing or powered wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

It's got a Briggs and Stratton engine and a three year warranty, how could you go wrong for under 200 euro?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

my3cents wrote: »
    I've got one its not bad at all but I'd prefer to be paying a bit less for its. Its just a motor on a deck no clutch, gearing or powered wheels.

really:confused: missed that...give it a miss then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭deezell

really:confused: missed that...give it a miss then

These were a much better buy the previous sunday for €229
    https://www.aldi.ie/self-propelled-petrol-lawn-mower/p/097814271231500

You might find one in a store somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭jacob2

42 cm blade push type

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭jacob2

deezell wrote: »
    These were a much better buy the previous sunday for €229
    https://www.aldi.ie/self-propelled-petrol-lawn-mower/p/097814271231500

You might find one in a store somewhere.

good mower made for aldi by al-ko of austria

It's got a Briggs and Stratton engine and a three year warranty, how could you go wrong for under 200 euro?

Previous years it was somewhat cheaper iirc 3 year back it went for €149 here and £99 in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭banjobongo

jacob2 wrote: »
    good mower made for aldi by al-ko of austria

I just checked with Aldi and they still have some of these in stock, would they be a better buy than the one from Lidl?

• Advertisement

banjobongo wrote: »
    I just checked with Aldi and they still have some of these in stock, would they be a better buy than the one from Lidl?

The Aldi one is the right price for a decent budget mower the Lidl one is over priced so provided you want the power drive then the Aldi one is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

Hi all,

Recently bought a house and the previous owner has left the ride on mower behind as part of the deal.

The engine runs now, but it's throwing belts and doesn't drive.

20190224_162137.jpg
    20190224_162147.jpg
    20181130_112512.jpg

Is it worth fixing up to get a year or two use out of it, and would it be worth getting a collection box for this model?

banjobongo wrote: »

75€ a year for 3 years while under full warranty. Decent 18" cut. With care and cleaning could last for 10 years. Or more.

Hi all,

Recently bought a house and the previous owner has left the ride on mower behind as part of the deal.

The engine runs now, but it's throwing belts and doesn't drive.

20190224_162137.jpg
    20190224_162147.jpg
    20181130_112512.jpg

Is it worth fixing up to get a year or two use out of it, and would it be worth getting a collection box for this model?
    I'd say no to either. If you can figure why it won't drive and is throwing the belt (drive or deck?), you might be able to fix it yourself. If it's the drive belt throwing, is it because theres a big chunk out of the belt? Common reason, but not visible unless you inspect all the belt by pulling it around. It may also be an idler pulley bearing is gone and the belt is not guided properly. Worse, if the hydrostatic drive is gone or seized.
    This is a semi commercial class mower, big 107cm cut, good used ones sell for nearly 3k, but this one looks wrecked. The amount of corrosion is severe, it's rusted right through. If it was working and cutting, it's hardly worth €200 because if the level of rust. Not working it has only parts value. As for buying the collector box with the side tubing, I'd say that would set you back near a grand. Tip it over and see what the deck is like underneath, not a pretty sight I bet.
    Don't throw good money after bad, especially if you are thinking of paying someone to repair. You could be down several hundred even if the hydro is ok, and it still would be worth almost nothing. Sell it for parts, and put the 1500 minimum it would take to put a box and get this wreck going towards a suitable sized ride on.

I'd say no to either. If you can figure why it won't drive and is throwing the belt (drive or deck?), you might be able to fix it yourself. If it's the drive belt throwing, is it because theres a big chunk out of the belt? Common reason, but not visible unless you inspect all the belt by pulling it around. It may also be an idler pulley bearing is gone and the belt is not guided properly. Worse, if the hydrostatic drive is gone or seized.
    This is a semi commercial class mower, big 107cm cut, good used ones sell for nearly 3k, but this one looks wrecked. The amount of corrosion is severe, it's rusted right through. If it was working and cutting, it's hardly worth €200 because if the level of rust. Not working it has only parts value. As for buying the collector box with the side tubing, I'd say that would set you back near a grand. Tip it over and see what the deck is like underneath, not a pretty sight I bet.
    Don't throw good money after bad, especially if you are thinking of paying someone to repair. You could be down several hundred even if the hydro is ok, and it still would be worth almost nothing. Sell it for parts, and put the 1500 minimum it would take to put a box and get this wreck going towards a suitable sized ride on.

Thanks for the update. The belt looks worn and stretched. I was able to fit it back onto the pulley and it would drive the blades for about 30 secs before it would throw the belt again.

I may get someone to just look at how much to get it driving and cutting and if its reasonable, use it this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Thekeencyclist

Hi, Just looking for feedback on the following 2 ride on's or which would be peoples preferences or if anyone has came across any pro's / con's with either of them etc

# 1 - Cub Cadet XT1 OR95 - 19HP, 320L Collector, 3yr warranty, approx 4100e.
    # 2 - Mountfield 1538H - 16HP (I believe), 240L Collector, 5yr warranty, approx 2700e

I would be looking at the option of a 38inch deck either way (due to a gate that I would need to fit through). I would have approx 0.75acres of lawn + my parents house + a quarter mile each side of my house of grass verges along fields that I own.

I do also travel a couple of hundred feet to where I dump the grass at the back of a field at the back of my house so the 320L collector would be beneficial here as sometimes I get stuck for time and the grass could be a couple of inch's longer than suitable for my current Castlegarden XT200HD (and blockages often occur then also even though I keep the bag cleaned, blades sharpened and mandrels clear). A sales rep also said the Cub Cadet is near impossible to block and is a far stronger machine than a lot of them on the market today.

I dont mind spending the extra if it means getting what I am paying for but would like to find out a bit more about them based on actual usage + experience.

FYI - Sales Rep wasnt trying to push the Cub Cadet on me in any way but he was giving it a better thumbs up over the mountfield.....he did start them both and gave me a good overview of each without pushing a sale etc,

TIA!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 lawnmower101

As there seem to be a lot of knowledgeable lawnmower people on this thread, any advice you can give me after overfilling oil in lawnmower, just posted a thread in gardening forum with details, thanks.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I just replied to your other thread, but I'm sure someone else will come along, too.

As an alternative I'd suggest contacting the customer service dept. of the company who made the lawnmower.

Hi, Just looking for feedback on the following 2 ride on's or which would be peoples preferences or if anyone has came across any pro's / con's with either of them etc

# 1 - Cub Cadet XT1 OR95 - 19HP, 320L Collector, 3yr warranty, approx 4100e.
    # 2 - Mountfield 1538H - 16HP (I believe), 240L Collector, 5yr warranty, approx 2700e

I would be looking at the option of a 38inch deck either way (due to a gate that I would need to fit through). I would have approx 0.75acres of lawn + my parents house + a quarter mile each side of my house of grass verges along fields that I own.

I do also travel a couple of hundred feet to where I dump the grass at the back of a field at the back of my house so the 320L collector would be beneficial here as sometimes I get stuck for time and the grass could be a couple of inch's longer than suitable for my current Castlegarden XT200HD (and blockages often occur then also even though I keep the bag cleaned, blades sharpened and mandrels clear). A sales rep also said the Cub Cadet is near impossible to block and is a far stronger machine than a lot of them on the market today.

I dont mind spending the extra if it means getting what I am paying for but would like to find out a bit more about them based on actual usage + experience.

FYI - Sales Rep wasnt trying to push the Cub Cadet on me in any way but he was giving it a better thumbs up over the mountfield.....he did start them both and gave me a good overview of each without pushing a sale etc,

TIA!
    If you've 4100 to spend, then have a look at higher end models in that price range. With only a 38" deck, the extra cash will get you premium brand, more powerful engine, maybe a twin v engine, or premium brand engine such as Honda Better quality machine in general, bigger tyres and so on.
    The OR95 you list has a few things in its favour, cast Iron front axle, electric cutter clutch, bigger collection bag, but the figure for hp seems high, it's a 547cc 12.9 kW engine, which converts to to 17.3hp, nor 19. It's an own brand engine also, I'd expect a higher end brand for €4100.

This husky for €3795 has same big bag capacity, beefy 656cc B&S 15hp V-twin engine, (a twin engine will work harder than a higher hp rated single cylinder), it has a built in mulching lever also. Hydro, electric clutch etc. Its about 2 cm wider than the Cub though, at 102cm. So check the gate.
    http://www.hanlysgardenmachinery.ie/product-information/husqvarna-tc239t

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Thekeencyclist

If you've 4100 to spend, then have a look at higher end models in that price range. With only a 38" deck, the extra cash will get you premium brand, more powerful engine, maybe a twin v engine, or premium brand engine such as Honda Better quality machine in general, bigger tyres and so on.
    The OR95 you list has a few things in its favour, cast Iron front axle, electric cutter clutch, bigger collection bag, but the figure for hp seems high, it's a 547cc 12.9 kW engine, which converts to to 17.3hp, nor 19. It's an own brand engine also, I'd expect a higher end brand for €4100.

This husky for €3795 has same big bag capacity, beefy 656cc B&S 15hp V-twin engine, (a twin engine will work harder than a higher hp rated single cylinder), it has a built in mulching lever also. Hydro, electric clutch etc. Its about 2 cm wider than the Cub though, at 102cm. So check the gate.
    http://www.hanlysgardenmachinery.ie/product-information/husqvarna-tc239t

Thanks for the feedback, and thanks for pointing out about the mistake I made with the HP (I had looked a couple of other ones that day also so its possible I had got mixed up with another engine from another mower). I would agree that the price is high for the HP on the Cub Cadet, the sales man also mentioned that but said the price is down to a lot of what you mentioned above and also that the chassis is painted 3 times with one of them coats been a powder coating, smaller turning circle.

A husky tbh was at the top of my list to review but when I went to the local dealer on them, they said, they had 2 left and that when they were gone, they were getting out of husky's due to replacement parts been of poor quality, so that has put me off the husky (for now).

Think I will have a browse around at some other makes / models.....(its still early in the year :) )

• Advertisement

Hi All,

Further to my last post, local supplier reviewed by broken mower and it will be pricey to fix (new deck/pullys/belts/service)

I was pricing a replacement mower (and old mower as trade in), and advised I needed something ride on that is mulcher, dont care about box. Sales guy said I could possibly get a husky mulcher only without and lifting or box capability and is currently pricing this for me as I have less than 3k to spend.

Are husky ride on mulchers decent in this price bracket?

Hi All,

Further to my last post, local supplier reviewed by broken mower and it will be pricey to fix (new deck/pullys/belts/service)

I was pricing a replacement mower (and old mower as trade in), and advised I needed something ride on that is mulcher, dont care about box. Sales guy said I could possibly get a husky mulcher only without and lifting or box capability and is currently pricing this for me as I have less than 3k to spend.

Are husky ride on mulchers decent in this price bracket?
    Here's a 107cm dual side discharge/mulching mower with a beefy 20hp twin cylinder engine for little over €2.5 K. You need decent power when mulching, and this twin is well up to the job. Side discharge is useful if its too heavy to mulch.

https://www.agrieuro.co.uk/mtd-optima-lg-200-hydrostatic-transmission-and-side-discharge-p-8686.html

The same engine and cut is the Husqvarna TS 243T , it'll set you back nearer €3200-3500.

Here's a 107cm dual side discharge/mulching mower with a beefy 20hp twin cylinder engine for little over €2.5 K. You need decent power when mulching, and this twin is well up to the job. Side discharge is useful if its too heavy to mulch.

Hi Deezell,

Did you have a link for your comment?

Hi Deezell,

sorry, edited

Never heard of MTD before, is it a reliable brand?

Hi Deezell,

If you would like to buy local, I'd recommend this Snapper spx110 at the price. Highly regarded brand, 107cm and intek twin engine, side discharge and mulch, and an optional, should you ever need it, grass bag (about €500). You should be able to haggle it down to 2.5K, maybe with your trade in.

https://www.gardenmachinery.ie/lawn-tractors/snapper-spx110-side-discharge-tractor.html

If you would like to buy local, I'd recommend this Snapper spx110 at the price. Highly regarded brand, 107cm and intek twin engine, side discharge and mulch, and an optional, should you ever need it, grass bag (about €500). You should be able to haggle it down to 2.5K, maybe with your trade in.

https://www.gardenmachinery.ie/lawn-tractors/snapper-spx110-side-discharge-tractor.html

Thats a good spec. Would it handle slopes easily enough, nothing mad now.

Also, any showrooms to have a look in the flesh?

One of my mates suggested a John Deere Z235 for my because i have a few flower beds etc and the tighter turning would be good, but when I checked online, some reviewers said that it's a little uncomfortable for tall people as foot rests not adjustable (im 6ft 1")

My local mower place has these in stock, not sure the price.

One of my mates suggested a John Deere Z235 for my because i have a few flower beds etc and the tighter turning would be good, but when I checked online, some reviewers said that it's a little uncomfortable for tall people as foot rests not adjustable (im 6ft 1")

My local mower place has these in stock, not sure the price.

You'll pay for JD, for sure. Try ringing IFGM at their number, 01 8463922, they have an address in Malahide, maybe they have a distribution centre, warehouse or showroom, or maybe they work as a resell from a european warehouse. D'internet is king these days, but a phonecall can't hurt, see what the local dealer network is like and who might have one in stock. They basicall deliver to a dealer near you who becomes your warranty point.

• Advertisement

Thats a good spec. Would it handle slopes easily enough, nothing mad now.

Also, any showrooms to have a look in the flesh?

Coughlans in Kilkenny, Carlow, EC Pratt in Avbbeyleix, Arm rentals in Newry, if any of these have a collector model in stock it would be substantially the same machine but with a collector deck, so you'd get an idea of the build quality.

Advertisement