Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas dinner

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Estrellita

LirW wrote: »
    Can I come over and have a bit of your turkey? I really fear for the poor bird in the house after my in-laws are done with it :(

More than welcome :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I witnessed the cooking of a ham here once: It's a block of ham dumped into cider without spices and boiled to death for some hours. Taken out, sliced and eaten. Why is this happening. I swear to god this is the process, I'm not lying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

Estrellita wrote: »
    Lol.. no need for the duck unless it's what you really want. You just have to keep an eye on everything.

Turkey is only known to be dry and bland by those that near cremate the thing in the oven. You can't bang it in the oven for a couple of hours and hope for the best. I take the turkey out every so often and give it a little bath in its own juices. It's carefully wrapped in strips of bacon to lock down the moisture and allow it's bacon-yness to seep in.

The turkey is best enjoyed with a lovely, moist homemade stuffing. I make it from scratch every year, dry shop bought stuffing is not an option. I hate dry stuffing with a passion :(

I think i'm going to try roasting it in a , roasting bag with some home made stock to really try and lock in some flavor , going for the boned and rolled joint as the OH cant cope with meat on the bone , will be part boiling in cider then honey mustard glazing and baking the Ham.

Fully agreed on the stuffing home made with sausage meat is the only way to go

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭currants

I think i'm going to try roasting it in a , roasting bag with some home made stock to really try and lock in some flavor , going for the boned and rolled joint as the OH cant cope with meat on the bone , will be part boiling in cider then honey mustard glazing and baking the Ham.

Fully agreed on the stuffing home made with sausage meat is the only way to go

I really wouldn't bother with the boned and rolled turkey, the bones give a lot of flavour. Get a crown, there's enough rib and breastbone there to give flavour and put your own stuffing in the neck end, apple and celery is lovely. Carve it up out of sight ;) Neven Maguire has a great buttermilk brined turkey recipe too.

Glenster wrote: »
    Turkey = Bigger = Longer to cook = Dryer

QED

Just because your ma is some sort of wizard who can coax a non-Saharan turkey out of the oven does not mean its not dry and bland.

Answer me this, how long does your ma spend making this succulent turkey? if she spent as long prepping a chicken would it not taste even better.

JESUS THEY DONT EVEN SELL TURKEYS 50 WEEKS OF THE YEAR, COS NO-ONE WANTS THEM COS THEY DRY AF.

I eat turkey a few times a week every week as a sandwich filling and eat it as a dinner many times throughout the year. Its far from reserved for Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭picturehangup

We eat turkey throughout the year. My butcher does a lovely turkey breast stuffed. Have it every month or so, as turkey is full of trytophan, a pre-cursor to all those feel-good brain chemicals. High in protein, low in fat, the family just love it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 198 ✭✭NoFreeGaffs

I eat turkey a few times a week every week as a sandwich filling and eat it as a dinner many times throughout the year. Its far from reserved for Christmas.

It's the best meat for sandwiches and rolls.

Advertisement