Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas dinner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

All depends what floats your boat and roast meat and a few over boiled veg doesn't float mine

Fair enough.

The only point I was making was that you're taking all the general ingredients of a Christmas dinner, buying less nice versions of them, mixing them all up and covering them in pasta sauce. Doesn't sound very appetising.

On a separate note; potatoes and lasagne is something I've seen before in Ireland and it is utter madness.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 Theonegun

Wonder what Dustin thinks about all this not much love for his kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

evil_seed wrote: »
    Venison is where it's at :cool:

Quite deer though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

_Jamie_ wrote: »
    It's not bland though. :confused: Cooked right, it's moist and full of flavour, without gravy. I actually don't find roast beef any more flavoursome even if cooked perfectly.
    Even when cooked properly and served moist and succulent it's still bland fowl.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Bland always seems to be one of those nebulous value-judgments that doesn't actually describe anything much but essentially just equates to stuff that other people still have the temerity to enjoy despite my edicts of taste.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Bland always seems to be one of those nebulous value-judgments that doesn't actually describe anything much but essentially just equates to stuff that other people still have the temerity to enjoy despite my edicts of taste.

Funny, I always assumed it meant lacking in flavour and taste.

Shenshen wrote: »
    Funny, I always assumed it meant lacking in flavour and taste.

Obviously the people claiming to enjoy the taste think otherwise, but what would they know?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

So I am a duck or goose man myself. I keep geese and have been giving it a nice happy well fed and well cared for life as we work towards his day of slaughter :)My 6 year old daughter has been looking after it a lot and has named him "Danny the Dinner".

Got a good chuckle out of that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

No we just generally don't do roast meat , my OH eats literally no veg so to be honest were much happier just taking the traditional ingredients and something a bit different with them , still get all the great flavors of the turkey and Bacon , Stuffing and sprouts but mixed up and made into something totally different from the stand roast meat and boiled/roast veg, which i still find to be a bit dull.

we tend to cook allot of Italian , Chinese , Thai , that kind of stuff so its a bit of fun kind incorporating the Christmas thing into it

Exactly we've mixed it up because we're not into the traditional roast think even when cooked properly Turkey is pretty bland its dry cardboard at worst but even moist its pretty uninspiring ... its not like we used cheap ingredients in making dinner last year i make all my own sauces and pasta , stuffing etc from scratch we bought a gammon joint and cut it ourselves for the lardons and i minced a whole turkey breast fresh for the mince.

All depends what floats your boat and roast meat and a few over boiled veg doesn't float mine

BAH HUMBUG!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I'm eating Cabrito, which is Young Goat or Kid, it's delicious. Eaten commonly in Portugal.

I eat kids for Christmas!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Estrellita

I don't know what some of you are doing to the turkey and ham. Seems a few chefs round here need the sack.

I put out a carving trolley and put the turkey and ham on for all to cut off as much as they like. Fill the centre of the table with all the goose fat potatoes, veg, two kinds of homemade stuffing, a bowl of Brussels sprouts in pancetta .. and there isn't a pip out of anyone, just shoveling! My OH says he wishes he had four stomachs like a cow :D

Dessert isn't had for a good while later, nobody has any belly room left.

Obviously the people claiming to enjoy the taste think otherwise, but what would they know?

I don't know, maybe they enjoy bland? My gran used to always ask the waiter for her food to be cooked bland when ordering something in restaurants.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,578 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Once the word 'objective' is brought in to describe how one food is better than another, it's game over.

I don't know, maybe they enjoy bland? My gran used to always ask the waiter for her food to be cooked bland when ordering something in restaurants.

Or maybe you can accept that they happen to like a certain food without sly pasasive insults like oh well, you know, maybe they just have the palette of a geriatric..

I personally find turkey too dry but each to their own.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Talk about ruining the Christmas spirit lads!! Some people like Turkey, some don't, it's called taste!!!

I get that everyone has different tastes, and not everyone likes turkey or sprouts etc. But I just can't get my head around why you wouldn't stick with a traditional style roast dinner, it's not a Christmas dinner IMO if you don't have a roast meat in the middle of the table
    (allowances for veggies and their nutloafs, it's a tough time of year for them).

Lasagne / Steak /Curry -> not Christmas dinner, just a dinner you happen to eat in the 25th of December.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,578 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I'm having roast badger, and if you don't like the sound of it, it's just because you haven't eaten badger cooked the right way yet. It's succulent.

osarusan wrote: »
    I'm having roast badger, and if you don't like the sound of it, it's just because you haven't eaten badger cooked the right way yet. It's succulent.

Set menu?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

Just got a takeaway Christmas dinner in work-ham, turkey, Brussels sprouts, mashed potato, croquettes, carrots, some cranberry sauce, all squashed into a polystyrene box, swimming in gravy

Eating it now at my work desk with a plastic knife and fork while finishing off a report. This is what Christmas is all about

Or maybe you can accept that they happen to like a certain food without sly pasasive insults like oh well, you know, maybe they just have the palette of a geriatric..

I personally find turkey too dry but each to their own.

I'm not sure I follow? What's wrong with bland? Some people like it! :confused:

• Advertisement

You win.

I'm off to drink some turkey broth and use the commode.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

I'm not sure I follow? What's wrong with bland? Some people like it!

I'm having cream crackers and water for Christmas dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭currants

Turkey's not inherently bland, it just tastes of turkey-unless its roasted bone dry, then its bland. I love it and the rest of the women in the family love it too, the men dont so I do rib on the bone for them. We all love ham and everyone loves my shredded sprouts fried with shallots and butter and finished with marsala and chicken stock-sproutimbocca is a tradition here now. All meat sliced up and served on a big platter so that you have to sit up to see each other across the table. Huge bowl of roasties and tesco finest croquettes, veg and stuffing on the plates. Its a right old victorian feast.

I don't believe a from scratch cook and a non vegetable eater can co exist peacefully, the divide is just too great, something has to give, usually the reluctant veggie eater. Why are you ruining good turkey breast by mincing it?, half the pleasure of it is in its texture.

Synonymous for Bland include;
    tasteless, flavourless, insipid,mild, savourless, unflavoured etc.
    generally it's recognised as an insult when describing food.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭currants

HensVassal wrote: »
    Never had goose. Tell me how it tastes

Like leather unless its slowly roasted, you need to know what your doing to cook a nice goose or duck. Its like a mix of pork leg (texture)and chicken to me. Eastern europeans know how to cook them well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

GingerLily wrote: »
    I get that everyone has different tastes, and not everyone likes turkey or sprouts etc. But I just can't get my head around why you wouldn't stick with a traditional style roast dinner, it's not a Christmas dinner IMO if you don't have a roast meat in the middle of the table
    (allowances for veggies and their nutloafs, it's a tough time of year for them).

Lasagne / Steak /Curry -> not Christmas dinner, just a dinner you happen to eat in the 25th of December.

Why would someone buy prepare and eat a meal they don't enjoy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

GingerLily wrote: »

but why eat somthing you dont really like just because its tradition , like we would never roast meat any other time of the year , i find roasting drys nearly every meat out , it much rater a steak than roat beef , chicken or turkey in currey , enchilada , fajita or pasta suace then just dryed out in the oven and coved in bisto.

I dont mind veg in a kinda take it or leave it way but my OH literaly eats no veg so that kinda defeats the purpose of the traditional bland roast for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,913 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The nicest thing about Christmas dinner is the leftovers.

A Turkey/ham/stuffing sambo late in the day. Yum.

And next day, put everything left over in the blender. Yup, turkey, ham, stuffing, spuds of all sorts, veg, gravy. A few pulses, and make into burgers/patties, on the pan and they are gorgeous. Much nicer than all the curries, pies etc. that we are told are fab.

Anyway, happy Christmas eating. Whatever you enjoy!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I love Christmas dinner, whether cooked by others and served to me, or cooked by me. I can happily enjoy the ham/turkey/stuffing sandwiches for days afterwards. After dinner I swear I'd never eat another thing again, but a few hours later after a nap perhaps, a few drinks and with a massive mug of tea, I'll devour several sandwiches. I'm hungry thinking of it now, and I've just had a big lunch not long ago. I love sprouts too, at any time of the year. Not in sandwiches though I'd imagine, although I've never tried.

mmmmmmmm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Can't stand Turkey and not that keen on Ham so it'll be roast leg of lamb with all the trimmings here..

Might do a small duck on the side..

Been doing beef or lamb for as long as i've been doing chrimbo dinners in my own house and i don't miss the tradtional fayre one bit..

I do agree though..

Turkey cold is a different beast all together and you can't beat it between 2 slices of white pan with a good dollop of Helmans..

Advertisement