Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas dinner

Options
  • 15-12-2016 7:55am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13

Does anyone else not care for it ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Theonegun wrote: »

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

Kinda

• Registered Users Posts: 30,373 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

I hate turkey and ham! So dry and bland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 Theonegun

Kinda

I get it every sunday but ya get starving faces saying cant wait for xmas dinner maybe they eat microwave chips on sundays so xmas dinner is a once of ,there like peasants god help them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

Turkey and ham are two very, very mediocre meats to choose for the biggest family get-together meal of the year. I'd replace those if the wife would let me.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 198 ✭✭NoFreeGaffs

Not with gravy they're not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Turkey and ham are two very, very mediocre meats to choose for the biggest family get-together meal of the year. I'd replace those if the wife would let me.

in olden times they were the few meats people would eat all winter
    those people ate more geese or duck than turkey

• Registered Users Posts: 10,953 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Sprouts make it that much better than normal Sunday dinner, I'd enjoy just eating a plateful of them.

Then the household gets to enjoy the results later on. Win win.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

I fúcking love it. Best dinner of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Nothing beats a good Christmas ham - yum!

I think it's more about the ambience then just the two meats that's on offer, everyone having a cheeky glass of wine, Christmas crackers, carols in the background, warm fire on too....... love it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Turkey is the worst meat there is, I like a nice bit of hang though.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭gumbo1

Nope, couldn't be done with all the cooking an prep work for what? 30 mins eating then it's all over. We'll be having venison this year with a few roast spuds an some mixed veg and a very nice bottle of wine or 2!

I do not care for the Turkey dinner either. I find the meat dry and bland too. Someone else said "not with gravy" and sure, that helps. But I want a meat that is _complimented_ by the gravy. Not one where I am using the gravy to mask it's deficiencies. Gravy should accentuate the experience, not rescue it.

So I am a duck or goose man myself. I keep geese and have been giving it a nice happy well fed and well cared for life as we work towards his day of slaughter :) My 6 year old daughter has been looking after it a lot and has named him "Danny the Dinner".

So the roasties will be deep roasted in nice fresh goose fat this year, and the goose based gravy will be an addition to a wonderful meal, not a mask of it's horrors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

You're cooking them wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Turkey cooked properly is very tasty and succulent. Pouring gravy on it is no different than people eating steak with pepper sauce. Why anyone would ruin a good steak with that muck is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Johnny Macwilliams

Turkey is dung, sugar coat it all you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

If your ham is dry then you're doing it wrong. Roast ham on the bone is a fantastic meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,574 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Turkey is dung, sugar coat it all you want.

Well no wonder if you sugar coat it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I'm having chocolate and wine for mine this year

I love being an adult

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

Ham on it own. Meh. Ham with colemans mustard, well now, that's another story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,578 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

It's all about the brandy butter.

Love the Christmas dinner, in fact the dinner on Christmas Day will be about my 4th or 5th turkey and ham dinner this month. One of which will be a full on pretend Christmas Day dinner at the weekend with friends.

Wouldn't be Christmas day without a proper Christmas dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I'm not in Ireland this year, so turkey is off the menu, woohooo :)
    I'll be having venison with chocolate sauce

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 861 ✭✭✭MeatTwoVeg

You're either cooking them wrong, buying cheap cuts, or both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

not the biggest fan of the traditional roast meat and veg its a bit dull tbh.

I love cooking and like to play around with the ingredients a bit , last year we had stuffing balls with garlic butter to start , a turkey mince and gammon lardons lasagna with Brussels sprout and smocked bacon gratin , chocolate brownies and homemade Christmas cookies with custard and cream for desert , was awesome.

Thinking of trying maybe an Idian or Chineese theme this year

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I like it - I like any excuse for a big, slap-up meal. But then I've never had either turkey or ham on christmas, ever, and since turning vegetarian I love trying something new every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Since my mum passed a couple of years ago we are no longer obliged to do the traditional turkey & ham. This year we doing prime rib and a bearnaise sauce...and Yorkshires puddings! In your face bland turkey meat.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Anyone for a bit a swan?
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

I do not care for the Turkey dinner either. I find the meat dry and bland too. Someone else said "not with gravy" and sure, that helps. But I want a meat that is _complimented_ by the gravy. Not one where I am using the gravy to mask it's deficiencies. Gravy should accentuate the experience, not rescue it.

So I am a duck or goose man myself. I keep geese and have been giving it a nice happy well fed and well cared for life as we work towards his day of slaughter :) My 6 year old daughter has been looking after it a lot and has named him "Danny the Dinner".

So the roasties will be deep roasted in nice fresh goose fat this year, and the goose based gravy will be an addition to a wonderful meal, not a mask of it's horrors.

Danny the dinner :D:D:D

• Advertisement

Danny the dinner :D:D:D

Yea she came up with that one herself. We wondered about naming the animals we were going to eat at all - in case of emotional attachment. So we were quite impressed that somehow internally she recognised this risk herself - and chose a name that on one hand named it - but on the other hand failed to remove the distinction that this is food.

Doting daddy of course and all parents have a tendency to over estimate their children - but I think she can be quite insightful sometimes for her age.

Advertisement