Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will we fly again?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭This is it

So basically your view of something that is current to do with health and travel be stuck at the end of a thread that is 4 or 5 years old.
    I was not talking about Air Traffic, i was saying that quite a large proportion of the world is carrying on as normal.

get real...

To say "quite a large proportion of the world is carrying on as normal" isn't accurate, you don't know how empty or full these flights are, or what they contain.

I also believe this should be in the Aviation forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

So basically your view of something that is current to do with health and travel be stuck at the end of a thread that is 4 or 5 years old.
    I was not talking about Air Traffic, i was saying that quite a large proportion of the world is carrying on as normal.

get real...

As pointed out there is a current Flight Radar thread. They might calm your fears over the amount of planes in the sky.

To me it looks very quiet, at the time of this there was only one plane over all of ireland.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Threads Merged

Typically I'd have moved to Aviation but it would have been instantly closed over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

This is it wrote: »
    To say "quite a large proportion of the world is carrying on as normal" isn't accurate, you don't know how empty or full these flights are, or what they contain.

I also believe this should be in the Aviation forum.

Your right they may all be empty i not think of that, my nephew returned from UK with just a few on the plane.
    If the airline cancel they have to refund all passengers, that was Thursday i think...

Ponster wrote: »
    Threads Merged

Typically I'd have moved to Aviation but it would have been instantly closed over there.

Thanks for sorting that...

• Advertisement

markfinn wrote: »
    I've pretty much abandoned hope for my planned trip to Argentina in December (Eclipse chasing, yay).

I’d say we will have a handle on it by December. There’s every chance you’ll see that eclipse!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,589 ✭✭✭billyhead

I am hoping to get to Northern Spain in September anyway.

Stobart’s owning company has gone in administration because of this calamity, but the Stobart services Dublin to Kerry & Donegal are being retained as they are funded by the government as public service obligation routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭markfinn

I’d say we will have a handle on it by December. There’s every chance you’ll see that eclipse!

Thanks. I'll be living in hope, if not expectation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

spurious wrote: »

Could you and others in this thread stop with the bloody backseat Modding?

This is a topic for the Travel community, in the Travel forum

• Advertisement

As I’ve said in another thread (losing track of the Coronavirus threads :D ) that I believe when antibody testing becomes readily available that those who test positive and are two weeks post any symptom that they may be freely allowed to fly, and that indeed the whole situation may be relaxed if and when a critical mass of the population are proved (temporarily) immune, pending vaccine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Could you and others in this thread stop with the bloody backseat Modding?

This is a topic for the Travel community, in the Travel forum

The actual mod has merged threads.
    The post I replied to was regarding flightradar, which would belong in A&A.

Love the ironing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Suppose to be going to Lanzarote in early July. Consigned to the inevitable at this stage. Just hoping cases stay up and Ryanair pull the flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

I wonder when we will fly again?

Is it very unrealistic to think we could be flying again and going on holidays in time for the August bank holiday?

I'd be quietly confident that things will slowly get going again from June but like to hear what other people's opinions are?

Should be grand for Cheltenham next March..........:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Suppose to be going to Lanzarote in early July. Consigned to the inevitable at this stage. Just hoping cases stay up and Ryanair pull the flights.

So you'd like lots more people in Spain to get infected and die so that you can get your refund?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭citysights

I don’t know but I do hope so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭This is it

So you'd like lots more people in Spain to get infected and die so that you can get your refund?

You'll have that unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I hope this might bring back border control, we should be checking temperatures at the airports since January and we would have detected alot of the cases coming into Ireland, arrest them and chuck them into isolation and it would have saved lives, all those flights in from Italy and Cheltenham should have been screened, it wouldn't have stopped it fully but it would have slowed it down alot and saved many lives. Ireland and Northern Ireland need to bring in similar quarantine rules to operate as one to prevent future infection, imagine if Ebola went airborne we would be looking at a failed state and societal collapse.

Once the pandemic ends which it will then we are looking at a changed world, I don't see any country in a rush to lift the Chinese visa bans that are in place and imagine the likes of Thailand 20 years ago before it got destroyed. The economy will be in the toilet so hotels etc. will go down but airfares will temporarily go up, however with tonnes of perfect planes lying idle or in auction houses then we will see new companies emerge. Ryanair being strong and stable might emerge as a transatlantic player or move into new markets which were decimated now.

Every cloud will have a silver lining and there will be more new opportunities arising out of this we never thought imaginable. Manufacturing globally will be decentralised out of China, China will still be important but no company will risk having all their eggs in one market, I can see low cost nations like India and Nigeria getting a slice of the manufacturing and a large amount of critical technology and medical all returning to Europe and the US. Ireland has a huge Pharma tech industry, expect this to really boom as outsourced industries are returned home under Govt orders, US Med companies will relocate from China to here since we are an ally. China will face sanctions and higher tariffs and most likely end up like the CCCP isolated until the CCP implodes and there is a revolution there.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,500 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

For Spain and Italy in particular, the national traumas they are going through, things will be different after this and their whole approach to tourism may change radically.

Their whole approach to everything may change.

You don't know what the psychological effect is going to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭dohouch

1, Free rows in planes, middle seat free.
    2. Lots of direct flights to Lourdes,
    3 Ryanair will force families to sit together.
    4. Planes 1/2 full= double the price as nervous people won't fly.
    5. Up in the air again when infection rates drop to doubling 16 to 18 days ( like an Irish Banker I picked those numbers out of mi aghrse)

With regard to temperature, the way I understand it, is t that an infected person can spread infection for 5 days without themselves experiencing any symptoms or having temperature. That fact asymptomatic spread is the nasty sh1t with this thorny koont

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

• Advertisement

theguzman wrote: »
    I hope this might bring back border control, we should be checking temperatures at the airports since January and we would have detected alot of the cases coming into Ireland, arrest them and chuck them into isolation and it would have saved lives, all those flights in from Italy and Cheltenham should have been screened, it wouldn't have stopped it fully but it would have slowed it down alot and saved many lives. Ireland and Northern Ireland need to bring in similar quarantine rules to operate as one to prevent future infection, imagine if Ebola went airborne we would be looking at a failed state and societal collapse.

Once the pandemic ends which it will then we are looking at a changed world, I don't see any country in a rush to lift the Chinese visa bans that are in place and imagine the likes of Thailand 20 years ago before it got destroyed. The economy will be in the toilet so hotels etc. will go down but airfares will temporarily go up, however with tonnes of perfect planes lying idle or in auction houses then we will see new companies emerge. Ryanair being strong and stable might emerge as a transatlantic player or move into new markets which were decimated now.

Every cloud will have a silver lining and there will be more new opportunities arising out of this we never thought imaginable. Manufacturing globally will be decentralised out of China, China will still be important but no company will risk having all their eggs in one market, I can see low cost nations like India and Nigeria getting a slice of the manufacturing and a large amount of critical technology and medical all returning to Europe and the US. Ireland has a huge Pharma tech industry, expect this to really boom as outsourced industries are returned home under Govt orders, US Med companies will relocate from China to here since we are an ally. China will face sanctions and higher tariffs and most likely end up like the CCCP isolated until the CCP implodes and there is a revolution there.

I be surprised if our Pharma/Tech industry gets bigger as this is already outsourced to us and Trump said in the white House St Patricks day that he wanted them back in the USA.
    I think the Government should have advised our people not to travel to Cheltenham.

China, If we start making our own stuff the consumer market that we love collapse as we cannot afford to buy it.
    Spain?Italy has a huge reliance on tourism so i expect once the virus settles they will be pushing for planes to travel.

We could start making our own clothes/shoes again but i think this is unlikely. I bought two good quality shirts 2 weeks ago in m&s sale, the total for the two was about €30 so that's crazy, i do not need but thats the kindof society we have become.
    We could start growing more of our own food (fruit/veg)

I do not know where the Market for our meat will be when this is over as our produce is pretty high end i think.
    There will be lasting changes when this is over.

I have a flight in 2 weeks Spain.
    I know it will be cancelled but have not being informed of this yet which surprises me.
    Also airlines are still selling flights even though they have announced be no flights April/May.
    Its hard to predict how the Airline thing will work as Tourism will want to return to normal so i do not expect big changes.
    The hotels are there and the Airlines are there. In a Month from now we know more.
    Interesting times ahead.

Thats inevitable anyway regardless of what i think.

No need for the drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Thats inevitable anyway regardless of what i think.

No need for the drama.

Drama?

If i was going to be dramatic I'd have told you what an odious human being you come across as but I doubt if that bothers you.

Good luck with your refund. Sure what's a few thousand dead pensioners compered to getting one over on Ryanair? You'll show them!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,159 ✭✭✭✭DvB

We're the same, Lanzarote with Ryanair first week in July. At this stage I'd be confident these flights will be cancelled and a refund given. Was reading over the w/e that the Spanish government are writing off the tourist season for 2020 with no expectation of them getting to grips with this to an extent that would allow tourism resume before 2021. The thoughts of what that reality is doing to 1000's (millions!?) of people is mind boggling, my heart goes out to them and what they are going through. Tourism is the least of their worries I suspect.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭theoldbreed

If you'd asked me back in March I was trying to be positive and would have said we'll travel again in late July/August. Now I'm not so sure. I've flights booked to Greece on August 15th and I don't believe I'll be going.
    I think 2020 travel is out of the question at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

DvB wrote: »
    We're the same, Lanzarote with Ryanair first week in July. At this stage I'd be confident these flights will be cancelled and a refund given. Was reading over the w/e that the Spanish government are writing off the tourist season for 2020 with no expectation of them getting to grips with this to an extent that would allow tourism resume before 2021. The thoughts of what that reality is doing to 1000's (millions!?) of people is mind boggling, my heart goes out to them and what they are going through. Tourism is the least of their worries I suspect.

For a country dependant on tourism they are up **** creek big time economically.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Supposed to be going to Poland on the 31st May. Have a feeling we won't be going :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Supposed to be going to Poland on the 31st March. Have a feeling we won't be going :(

In 2021?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    In 2021?

Ah meant May. Woops. :o

• Advertisement

DvB wrote: »

Hope fully so. I by no means want to see people dying etc. But I'd prefer Governments to show caution here. I don't think it's fair to ask people to fly or holiday this year in countries currently in a really bad way due to all of this.

I fully sympathise with the millions who count on tourism to raise families and pay bills etc but it has to come second to getting a handle on all of this. Having millions of people flocking to the Iberian Peninsula, mainland Europe and holiday Islands this summer will almost certainly lead to a quick deterioration and another peak for this disease.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement