Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping in Northern Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

shardylan wrote: »
    Timewise is this the nearest asda up north ,is there any Asda that would be closer,wanted one that might have George clothing line .

From Dublin the Asda in west Belfast would be closer than Enniskillen. It's just off the M1 coming into Belfast at the Kennedy Way junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭chabsey

is all i nead is euro for whan i go up next weak

Can anyone hear that? I think he's trying to communicate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

thecons wrote: »
    Went to Argos in the Quays on Friday to buy a gas cooker only to be told they are home delivery only! Anyone know of anywhere up North I can buy a free standing bottled gas cooker?
    As stated numerous times on this thread they delivery in the ROI for £20.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

is all i nead is euro for whan i go up next weak

If you have a credit card that's all you need. If you only have Euro you'll have some shops that won't take it so you could be stuck.
    If you have an ATM card that'll work up North in any of the bank machines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

You get a better rate using local currency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

ASDA to open a flagship store at Junction One.

I wonder will they sponsor road improvements from Newry to encourage EUR traffic :D ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭jister

TarfHead wrote: »
    ASDA to open a flagship store at Junction One.

I wonder will they sponsor road improvements from Newry to encourage EUR traffic :D ?

Where will the new ASDA store be located in relation to Newry?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Bond-007 wrote: »
    You get a better rate using local currency.

You do in most places, but not in places that are doing £ for € (and not in a " pretend" way). Also credit cards are probably a better idea than sterling cash.

By the way, some shops might say "sterling or euros" when you go to pay with your credit card. Always choose sterling in the UK as the rate set by your bank is almost certainly going to be better than whatever rate they give you, for reasons explained by others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

jister wrote: »
    Where will the new ASDA store be located in relation to Newry?

It is near Antrim (the town) which is north west of Belfast. It's junction 1 on the M22, where it meets the M2.

It wouldn't be the closest Asda for southern shoppers. It is going to be the biggest Asda in NI, however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 silverY

Bluetonic wrote: »
    As stated numerous times on this thread they delivery in the ROI for £20.

£25 was what I was quoted last week in Argos Merchants Quay.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

silverY wrote: »
    £25 was what I was quoted last week in Argos Merchants Quay.

Is that to all locations of the republic, as argos ireland charges more for deliveries outside of county dublin( which is a bit unfair for the mucksavages)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 silverY

mcwhirter wrote: »
    Is that to all locations of the republic, as argos ireland charges more for deliveries outside of county dublin( which is a bit unfair for the mucksavages)

That was quoted for Dublin. Not sure about the rest of the republic though I'd imagine it would be the same.

A couple of years ago I was charged €29.50 delivery when I ordered a new sofa from Argos in Blanchardstown (I live in louth). I'm pretty sure my sofa came from the warehouse in England somewhere, transported to Belfast then literally passed my house (I saw the big blue truck;)) on the N2 down to Dublin to Argos Blanch only to be sent back up again on the N2 to my house. Crazy stuff:D

Argos Drogheda (co louth) also charge €29.50 for delivery within co louth:eek: How can this be justified if Argos Dublin only charge €7.50 within their county?? Shouldn't the delivery charge be standard for each county :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

mcwhirter wrote: »

Carefull with the "mucksavages" you still have to pass through the countryside to get to the North dude......and there is noo need for that crap....:mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 JoshThomas

Can anyone tell me if the Argos order must be placed in Northern Ireland for £25 delivery to Ireland (dublin) or does this include UK mainland stores also? I would prefer to get my parents to purchase an item (a treadmill) on my behalf in the mainland UK (sussex) as it is going to cost me €30 train ticket and around a 4/5 hour round trip just to go to Newry to just pay for this item.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭road_2_damascus

Hurley6969 wrote: »
    Does anyone have a specific place they go to buy beers up there? If so what is the best place?

ASDA in Strabane or Enniskillen.. its rock bottom. If you go to Strabane, go for a jar in The Farmers House pub.... €2.30 a pint of Guinness, and its pretty much the same throughout the town...you'll have great craic up there

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭beolight

JoshThomas wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if the Argos order must be placed in Northern Ireland for £25 delivery to Ireland (dublin) or does this include UK mainland stores also? I would prefer to get my parents to purchase an item (a treadmill) on my behalf in the mainland UK (sussex) as it is going to cost me €30 train ticket and around a 4/5 hour round trip just to go to Newry to just pay for this item.

Do it online argos.co.uk might be an option

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 GalwayShark

Hi,

With the sterling to euro (90p = 1 euro), Is it still good value to go to the north?

Is it still crazy busy there on Saturday? In Enniskillen for example?

We have a one year old and don't know whether to bring him or not. If it is still crazy busy there??

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

ASDA in Strabane or Enniskillen.. its rock bottom. If you go to Strabane, go for a jar in The Farmers House pub.... €2.30 a pint of Guinness, and its pretty much the same throughout the town...you'll have great craic up there
    That's the Farmer's Home. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭kahaya

Was in Belfast at the weekend pricing White Goods for my new house, value for money is brilliant there, placing the order over the phone today.

But also heard that Energy Saving lightbulbs were much cheaper in the North, went in to Sainsburys and Philips 60W were 5 for 50p. It was a special offer but a great one none the less. Alone each bulb was 99p (which was still a great price).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

I am looking to pick up an Acer laptop, and have exhausted the Curry's/PC World route. Does anyone know of any good bricks and mortar laptop retailers up north, either chain or independant, who stock a decent selection or would be able to order me in an Acer?

ps. I have also considered Dabs/Elara/LaptopsDirect

Help appreciated, thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭tantipie

ive just emailed argos uk about the same thing,,they dont give the option on site to deliver to ireland,,was also looking at the treadmill:Dwaiting for them to get back to me now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Hi,

With the sterling to euro (90p = 1 euro), Is it still good value to go to the north?

We have a one year old and don't know whether to bring him or not. If it is still crazy busy there??

Thanks,

Nah, Enniskillen was fine last Saturday - traffic moving fine, Asda's was very busy, Tesco's was much better. Plenty of specials even with the not-so-good exchange rate, although some of Asda's shelves were empty by the afternoon. Some grand wee cafes on the main st. suitable for a bite to eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭leex

Hi,

Thanks,

Was in Enniskillen on Dec 1st when rate was around 84p and it was excellent value then. On average 30% savings compared to Tesco and Argos here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 JoshThomas

tantipie wrote: »
    ive just emailed argos uk about the same thing,,they dont give the option on site to deliver to ireland,,was also looking at the treadmill:Dwaiting for them to get back to me now

Please let me know when you hear back from them! Thanks! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Hi,

For the love of God, EUR/GBP only went above 90p on the 16th of December, do you think there were no bargains up north prior to this? :rolleyes:

People have been going up north for years for bargains, it's not just a last 6 months trend.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭tregan

haven't been up myself since christmas but it's my new year pledge to go up there a lot more often as we are being ripped off down here - was in blanch last sunday as needed to return some stuff to next so did that. place was quite busy but i had no incentive to shop as will wait til go newry direction in a week or two

definitely worth the trip and still saving regardless of conversion rate but i would leave the 1 yo at home, have two myself and it's always easier / quicker when i don't have to steer a buggy around the place plus they don't want to shop! leave him at home if you can :)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,821 ✭✭✭✭muffler

smashey wrote: »
    That's the Farmer's Home. ;)
    The voice of experience :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭johnfás

How is traffic through Newry these days?

I have to go up to Belfast completely unrelated to shopping this Saturday. Last time I had to do this was when the traffic jams outside Newry were reported all over the media before Christmas. It took me two hours to go past somewhere I didn't want to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Be warned, I was checking out stuff in Asda at 11pm, the guy behind me had a case of bear and at 11.01 you cannot buy alcohol anymore, it wouldn't scan for him and that was that, no exceptions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Be warned, I was checking out stuff in Asda at 11pm, the guy behind me had a case of bear and at 11.01 you cannot buy alcohol anymore, it wouldn't scan for him and that was that, no exceptions.
    Probably just as well. :D

Advertisement