Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Religious cults in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

The moonies you say?

Didn't know they had their own cult :eek:.

Don't wanna be funding that sort of carry on. I'll be getting brennans bread from now on.

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

The moonies you say?

Didn't know they had their own cult :eek:.

Don't wanna be funding that sort of carry on. I'll be getting brennans bread from now on.

who'd have thought that fecker off the radio'd be the pope of his own cult!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

I toyed with Mormanism from about age 11 to 12 when I started going to their church services and sunday schools. These are the 'regular' Mormans mind, not the crazy FLDS compound ones you see in America :o Soon after I found that organised religion wasn't for me, but I have to say the particular community I was involved in were really fantastic, open- minded and good hearted people. No more of a 'cult' than any of the other Christian/Catholic churches. I found in them the sort of enthusiam and community spirit that I had yearned for, but never found, in the Catholic Church.

So yeah, ten years on I'm a pretty committed athiest, and deep down I find the whole organised religion/cult thing pretty lame. But I can definatly see why so many people subscribe to the idea of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

constant daily verbal abuse from random strangers on the street, gardai also having potshots as you walk down the road minding your own business. like the us /uk you think you can insult people and then expect to be protected from retaliation? :p

sorry, what's this in reference to?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Derek Mooney's been hypnotising me for years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭bazmaiden

In kind of related topic.

Did you know that there are more registered Jedis than Jews in the U.K

I wonder are there any here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

Very good presentation about Scientology: http://theunfunnytruth.ytmnd.com/ (NSFW: VERY graphic and possibly disturbing pictures).

edit: Here's a YouTube video of it instead (same warning as above!)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

There's another not so well known cult who have a following in Ireland, it's called Family International.. they've being linked to child abductions and all sorts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

bazmaiden wrote: »
    In kind of related topic.

I wonder are there any here

There are 1,930 people who state their religion as Jewish in the 2006 census. Doesn't specify Jedi. They must fall into the 8,576 that are "Other stated religions."

Source

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

For years I've been telling Jehovah's Witnesses to fuck off, but they just keep on coming back, the annoying little sh1ts.

I've got a booklet somewhere with instructions on how to de-programme them, which I wave in their faces when they ignore the verbal abuse.

I could just not open the door, but that would take the fun out of having a go at them.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I've been a member of what the more closed minds amongst you would refer to as a cult. We're quite a large group from all walks of life. We meet up regularly for what I guess would be called a "mass", where people take various drinks that allow us to reach a higher level of consiousness. It's mostly a friendly group and of course we can leave any time we like although to be honest, I can't see myself living without them. But being a Boardsie isn't all that bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

When I was younger, I got a letter from a distant relative who is in Opus Dei kinda like a sales pitch. I showed it to my old man immediately.

He tore it up, then phoned said relative and gave him a serious bollocking, telling him to "stay away from my f*cking family!"

Go Dad!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

How, exactly? How did they have you for 24 years, did you grow up on a monastary island or something?

Exactly when and how specifically did they make you feel guilty about sex? AFAIK they dot give those cleansing blessings to women who have given birth these days. Fook I remember confession at 15, you would plod in, mumble about having got pissed and not doing your homework and a wildly disinterested priest would hand you your three hail marys and send you on your way. The only one time I had any contact with the far right of the church was one fairly young but unbalanced female religion teacher who preached a 1950s version of Catholicism.

The rest of our religion teachers stuck on DVDs or let us do our homework in class, or just bantered. Or came to class in ridicilous tght tops.

You were lucky then.

Father.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭dermothickey

This site will tell you all about different movements and cults in Ireland
    http://www.dialogueireland.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Oh, actually, this reminds me that I got a Scientology flyer in the door last week. I've also sees groups of people in suits going door to door. I assumed it was Jehovah's Witnesses, but maybe Scientology is doing a recruitment drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Kxiii

rednik wrote: »
    I bought a car from the moonies.

Was it a lunar buggy.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭pitkan

Kxiii wrote: »
    Was it a lunar buggy.:D

Could have been a BREAD VAN.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭storm2811

I remember when I was about 12 I was in Dublin with my brother and I seen this sign outside the scientology HQ or something that said "FREE PERSONALITY TESTS" so I was like "Oooh,I want one!" and started walking in untill my brother pulled me away and told me it was the scientology place.

Needless to say I was like :eek:,afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Very old joke:

What's the difference between a Jehovah's Witness and a Lada?

You can close the door on a Jehovah's Witness!

boom boom !

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Tell that to the fúckers with "the big switch" thing from Bord Gais and Airtricity...

NO I DON'T WANT CHEAPER ELECTRICITY!

why the hell not, what are you a mormon or something?!?!?! :D

as a non-irish atheist bloke recently (2 weeks and 2 days ago!) married into an irish catholic family who's had to go to various catholic events like communions, confirmations, weddings and funerals, i can tell you that the catholic church has the whole religious cult thing well and truly covered from all angles and i've been well and truly freaked out by some of the stuff that people partake in at church on more than one occasion.

we actually got married abroad to avoid the whole church thing, so that was a lucky dodge. :)

it's not really fair to single out catholicism though, all the religions i've seen first hand look very similar to me, but the question was about ireland, so I'm sure i'll be forgiven for saying it anyway. or burn in hell, whichever suits. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭sagat2

No mention of his butchership Tony Quinn :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Irish people are generally born into the worlds largest cult....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I created my own religion. I only have 4 followers, so I guess it qualifies as a 'cult', and I would therefore be the crazy cult leader.

And no, my religion doesn't involve rabbits....well not directly anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

I often thought about starting my own religion but reckoned it wouldnt really catch on.

"Everybody is going to hell" kinda lacks that essential feelgood factor
    bazmaiden wrote: »

There is no central register of religious affiliation in the UK
    owenc wrote: »
    Jahaova witness they came to my door, trying to convert us, i don't know why they are doing it because standing at a door won't get someone to convert sorry!

Why dont you try converting them to YOUR religion ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Some of these religious people are very forgetful. They keep asking me "Have you found Jesus?", and I have to keep reminding them that I was never looking for him to begin with.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

The Orange Order are a religious cult. Surprised they haven't had a mention yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭storm2811

Mike 1972 wrote: »

Why dont you try converting them to YOUR religion ?

That'd be hilarious!

"Let me tell you about Jesus.."
    "No no no,let ME tell YOU about Tarvu!"

http://www.tarvu.com/ *

*I don't actually believe in this shapeshifting octopus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Truley wrote: »
    So yeah, ten years on I'm a pretty committed athiest, and deep down I find the whole organised religion/cult thing pretty lame. But I can definatly see why so many people subscribe to the idea of it.

Why do you think people do?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Jakkass wrote: »
    Why do you think people do?

And Jakkass manages to take the thread off topic in one fell post! :pac:

re Cults: I think it's the Mormons (obscenely polite people wearing black n' white suits who all have strong American accents for some reason) who are quite active in Dundalk, particularly near the college. Buggers used to always stop me on the way home asking if my life had fulfillment. Makes sense I suppose, spend 3 years living there and you're gonna be wanting a change of direction in life.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

storm2811 wrote: »
    I remember when I was about 12 I was in Dublin with my brother and I seen this sign outside the scientology HQ or something that said "FREE PERSONALITY TESTS" so I was like "Oooh,I want one!" and started walking in untill my brother pulled me away and told me it was the scientology place.

Needless to say I was like :eek:,afterwards.

Is that like science as a religion? I've never heard of any of these religions in my life they don't have any of them here.

Advertisement