Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FIT 2021

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,077 ✭✭✭✭KCross

unkel wrote: »
    Indeed. That's why I carefully said that if you planned in getting a SEAI installer to install a large PV system anyway, the battery is then more or less free.

What you are saying is that if someone has decided to get a large PV array and has done no math on the ROI then the battery is free! :P

Strange justification for saying that batteries are viable! :)

It makes little sense to go for a grant install and get 4kwp installed without a battery. It will be overpriced and only give you €1,400 in grants, so it will cost you almost as much as going for a same size system with a battery and get €3,800 in grants

The extra cost of the labour, hybrid inverter and battery will eat up alot more than the €1k you get for the battery grant. It will eat into the majority of the unlocked grant for the panels.

So, you can say you have a free battery but then you have expensive panels. I just think its misleading to say the battery is free or viable on that basis.

Some figures from my quotes....
    €350 extra labour for the battery, about €800 extra for inverter and the battery about €1300. That's €2450 for an entry level battery system.

The grant is €1k for the battery and an extra €1400 for the additional 2kWp of panels... so, yea, you have a free battery on that basis but you paid full whack for that extra 2kWp if thats how you want to allocate the grant money.

There is no free lunch here! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,815 ✭✭✭Alkers

KCross wrote: »
    The quotes I got were nothing like that though. Have you got quotes where the figures/choices worked out like that? I doubt it somehow.

Once you add in batteries the cost goes up dramatically in my experience.

From actual quotes I received:
    • 2.275kW array no battery, net cost €3,700.
    • 2.6kW array & 2.8kWh battery, net cost €4,550.

So €850 for the slightly larger array and the battery included. Looks a no-brainer at first glance but I work out approx 5.5 years for the battery to pay for itself:
    Cost of battery = €850, that would pay for 5,000 units at 17c day rate.
    5,000 units is about 2,000 cycles of the battery (allowing for 2.5kWh usable capacity).
    Allowing one full cycle per day, that would take just under 5.5 years to recoup the €850. I'm not sure how realistic achieving on average one full battery cycle each day is for my situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,916 ✭✭✭✭unkel

KCross wrote: »
    Some figures from my quotes....
    €350 extra labour for the battery, about €800 extra for inverter and the battery about €1300. That's €2450 for an entry level battery system.

The grant is €1k for the battery and an extra €1400 for the additional 2kWp of panels... so, yea, you have a free battery

That additional labour is very rich and they added a nice wedge for themselves on that battery

I already had some solar PV when the grant system came in, so I can't make any of these grants work for me. I've tried :p

But I can honestly say, if I had the space on my roof and if didn't already have solar thermal, then I would probably have gone with the SEAI grant system with a 6kwp array, hybrid inverter, 5kWh battery, Eddi diverter and Zappi car charger. I would have negotiated the last €100 out of a deal. With people in the house during the day most days, that system would have paid off for me at some stage, particularly with a modest FIT. And would have enormous savings to the environment of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,077 ✭✭✭✭KCross

That additional labour is very rich and they added a nice wedge for themselves on that battery

All the quotes are the same (overpriced) but they have to make money too I suppose.

Vans, insurance, diesel, cover the cost of the time to do call outs for quotes that dont convert to sales etc.

Direct labor will always be cheaper if you know what you are buying and getting the right people... so the rich prices, as you put it, are basically paying for the all-in-one dedicated service I suppose.

Well the one quote I actually got for a battery install under the SEAI grant, was very fair. He charged a full day's labour for an electrician, which was OTT, I guess he was covering eventualities there. But the prices of parts where very reasonable, just a bit over wholesale prices.

And yes, of course companies need to make a profit to survive. It's in fact their duty to the shareholders / owners to actually maximise that profit :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

But I can honestly say, if I had the space on my roof and if didn't already have solar thermal, then I would probably have gone with the SEAI grant system with a 6kwp array, hybrid inverter, 5kWh battery, Eddi diverter and Zappi car charger. I would have negotiated the last €100 out of a deal. With people in the house during the day most days, that system would have paid off for me at some stage, particularly with a modest FIT. And would have enormous savings to the environment of course.

It would be interesting to see some quotes for that.

A friend got a quote for a large-ish setup, including battery, and from pricing the components up (using an Irish website), almost half of the cost was labour, which, off the top of my head it was around €4000.

I know there are some companies out there that are competitive, but the seem to be plenty that are milking the grants.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭phester28

anyone care to share a basic 2.1kw quote price. I've only got one back from ringing around all the seai cork approved. 3.8K pre grant.

Perhaps this should be moved to the quotes

n97 mini wrote: »
    A friend got a quote for a large-ish setup, including battery, and from pricing the components up (using an Irish website), almost half of the cost was labour, which, off the top of my head it was around €4000.

But you do get almost that €4k back in subsidy. So doesn't sound too bad to me.

There is a regular poster in the quotes thread who got a reasonable price for a 6kwp system including battery and all the goodies. I can't remember the exact details. Browse the thread for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,774 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Here by popular demand, a file containing day-ahead and imbalance prices since the beginning of iSEM operations in October. (It is a csv file, but with a .txt ending, because csv files are seemingly not liked by the boards upload manager.)

Please note that some imbalance prices may yet be revised.

The day-ahead market is in hourly intervals; the imbalance pricing is in half-hourly intervals.

This is not the full cost of electricity. It excludes distribution, transmission, loss factors and capacity charges, amongst other things. It is just the energy portion.

Thanks for that. Could you please describe in a bit more detail what those day ahead and imbalance prices are? And how would I interpret this bit of data from near the top of your file? Presumably these prices are per MWh?

valueDatetime PTDA PIMB
    01/10/2018 00:00 67.21 36.75
    01/10/2018 00:30 60.5 33.68
    01/10/2018 01:00 60.5 -137.57

-137.57 Minus 14c/kWh???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,774 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Yup, a negative imbalance price.

This probably happened because there was excess wind 'spilling' onto the grid, which had not been pre-sold in the day-ahead market.

But the intuitive principle you might have in your mind, that if you are generating and feeding to the grid, that it automatically results in a payment, is not necessarily correct. It might well cost you money.

The day-ahead market is where most electricity is bought and sold. It is determined by an auction, the day before the power is delivered.

(There is also an intra-day market that happens between day-ahead and balancing but the volumes are small, so don't worry too much about that.)

The balancing market is a sort of market of last resort. It is priced 'in the moment', and is actually the average of the prices paid to generators in the 6 5-minute intervals that make up the half-hour. If a generator puts electricity onto the grid that has not been pre-sold, or if a supplier/customer takes electricity that hasn't been pre-purchased, this is the price they pay. (Equally, if you pre-sold electricity, but then fail to deliver it, you will pay this price to make the market 'whole'.)

The setting of imbalance prices is a complex and controversial issue in the industry. The controversial part has been very high prices, rather than negative prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

Brian Denvir of the SEAI interviewed here on Selfbuild Podcast, talking about the export rate offered to be offered to homeowners by 2021:

https://podcasts.apple.com/ie/podcast/ep-4-getting-paid-for-exported-electricity/id1452868134?i=1000445585062
    https://soundcloud.com/selfbuild-ireland/ep-4-getting-paid-for-exported-electricity

(Spolier - Fairly general stuff, doesn't give anything specific away).

Advertisement