Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

awec wrote: »
    Nobody else would be able to host 2022 at such short notice.

Could they just go back to one of the recent hosts? somewhere that already has the infrastructure in place. Plus i'm sure they'd have learned from the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Mr Tickle wrote: »
    Could they just go back to one of the recent hosts? somewhere that already has the infrastructure in place. Plus i'm sure they'd have learned from the experience.

If the price is right, anything is possible...

• Administrators Posts: 53,438 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Mr Tickle wrote: »

The previous hosts might have begun reworking / modifying their WC stadiums already.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

The Qatar World Cup is gonna be a massive pain in the ass for fans, broadcasters and teams anyway. For a lot of those stakeholders a hastily organised world cup in England would be less **** than a very well organised world cup in Qatar. So I think they should take it off them and stick it in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Feel genuinely sorry for the family Kriegel. Doubt the lads will learnt anything useful in prison nor contribute meaningfully to society when they are back outside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,011 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

As an emergency plan B they could spread the tournament across several countries; say a group or two each. Avoids piling the entire logistical burden onto a single country at short notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Feel genuinely sorry for the family Kriegel. Doubt the lads will learnt anything useful in prison nor contribute meaningfully to society when they are back outside.

I bring my dog for a walk most days near that house. There are constantly new flowers being put down.

Just so horrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Neil3030 wrote: »
    As an emergency plan B they could spread the tournament across several countries; say a group or two each. Avoids piling the entire logistical burden onto a single country at short notice.

England, France and Spain. Significant infrastructure in all three, especially in terms of connecting major cities, stadiums that could easily host games capacity wise, and a tourism industry that could more than likely support a split of 3/2/2 in terms of the groups per country. London alone could easily take 3 groups of 4 teams.

Won't happen though.

England, France and Spain. Significant infrastructure in all three, especially in terms of connecting major cities, stadiums that could easily host games capacity wise, and a tourism industry that could more than likely support a split of 3/2/2 in terms of the groups per country. London alone could easily take 3 groups of 4 teams.

Won't happen though.

Aye, Germany might pitch in too. If Platini had a hand in nefariously awarding the tournament to Qatar it would be a tiny bit ironic if France got to host part of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Aye, Germany might pitch in too. If Platini had a hand in nefariously awarding the tournament to Qatar it would be a tiny bit ironic if France got to host part of it!

Or Platini is playing both sides. Collected his Qatar Money to get France the bid, and collecting his France money to take it away. Genius.

• Advertisement

errlloyd wrote: »
    Or Platini is playing both sides. Collected his Qatar Money to get France the bid, and collecting his France money to take it away. Genius.

How is that man not in Fianna Fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭joseywhales

****e, Rory Stewart was the best politician I've seen in a while, actually enjoyed his reasoning, maybe he'll be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭Buer

****e, Rory Stewart was the best politician I've seen in a while, actually enjoyed his reasoning, maybe he'll be back.

I thought he was able to benefit from offering an alternative opinion but he actually had very little to back it up. He had the right idea but no clue how to implement it.

Last night he was atrocious. It's mildly incredible that he could go from 37 votes to 27 despite there being an additional 30 up for grabs after Raab's elimination. That's nuts and just how badly his performance played with the members last night.

BJ won 50% of the vote this evening. It's a done deal. Even with the others clubbing together, they can't beat him. He hasn't had to do a thing to win. He just about managed to get out of his own way last night and that will suffice.

• Administrators Posts: 53,438 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

no politics no politics no politics no politics no politics no politics no politics no politics no politics no politics no politics no politics no politics no politics no politics no politics no politics no politics no politics no politics no politics no politics no politics no politics no politics no politics no politics no politics no politics no politics no politics no politics no politics no politics no politics no politics no politics no politics no politics no politics no politics no politics no politics no politics no politics no politics no politics no politics no politics no politics no politics no politics no politics no politics no politics no politics no politics no politics no politics

Seriously. No. Politics. How many times do we have to make this point?

Come again?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Yeah, that was a little vague. Could you repeat that, but clearer?

molloyjh wrote: »
    Yeah, that was a little vague. Could you repeat that, but clearer?

I think he wants to discuss politics but forgot the comma and the question-mark.

Politics, no? Politics, no? Politics, no? Politics, no? Politics, no? Politics, no? Politics, no? Politics, no? Politics, no? Politics, no? Politics, no? Politics, no? Politics, no? Politics, no? Politics, no? Politics, no? Politics, no? Politics, no? Politics, no? Politics, no? Politics, no? Politics, no? Politics, no? Politics, no? Politics, no? Politics, no? Politics, no? Politics, no? Politics, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

No! Politics....

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Just ban Buer. Sorted.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,075 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Trump...

Herumppphhh

• Advertisement

Massive article giving a full rundown of the Kriegel case:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/criminal-court/ana-kriegel-murder-trial-the-complete-story-1.3929570

It is, without doubt, the most disturbing and affecting case in Ireland that I can recall in my life. Other murder trials have been more salacious and media friendly but the sheer heartbreak and tragedy of this trial trumps them all.

The article goes into fine detail on the investigation; massive credit to how delicately and carefully AGS handled it to bring it forward for trial. I do have some questions around the conviction of Boy B though. It appears unlikely that AGS could have charged him with anything let alone get a conviction without his own interviews. There's nothing to physically link him to the act of murdering Ana Kriegel. His ever changing story though and eventual admission he was in the house when they attack commenced before fleeing gave AGS enough to go forward, it appears combined with the fact that he was the one who brought Ana there from her house and he claimed a conversation previously took place where Boy A raised the idea of killing Ana.

It's a pretty horrendous scenario but I still feel there's not enough (from what I've read there) to convict Boy B of murder but he certainly aided/facilitated the act I believe. I'd be surprised if he didn't appeal this.

Didn't take long for the names and photos of the two boys to start appearing online either. I believe a poster on this site posted the photo of them on Boards too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

Buer wrote: »
    Massive article giving a full rundown of the Kriegel case:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/criminal-court/ana-kriegel-murder-trial-the-complete-story-1.3929570

It is, without doubt, the most disturbing and affecting case in Ireland that I can recall in my life. Other murder trials have been more salacious and media friendly but the sheer heartbreak and tragedy of this trial trumps them all.

The article goes into fine detail on the investigation; massive credit to how delicately and carefully AGS handled it to bring it forward for trial. I do have some questions around the conviction of Boy B though. It appears unlikely that AGS could have charged him with anything let alone get a conviction without his own interviews. There's nothing to physically link him to the act of murdering Ana Kriegel. His ever changing story though and eventual admission he was in the house when they attack commenced before fleeing gave AGS enough to go forward, it appears combined with the fact that he was the one who brought Ana there from her house and he claimed a conversation previously took place where Boy A raised the idea of killing Ana.

It's a pretty horrendous scenario but I still feel there's not enough (from what I've read there) to convict Boy B of murder but he certainly aided/facilitated the act I believe. I'd be surprised if he didn't appeal this.

Didn't take long for the names and photos of the two boys to start appearing online either. I believe a poster on this site posted the photo of them on Boards too.

I was surprised Boy B was convicted. Even more surprised that his legal representation allowed him to keep answering questions.

Still. By his own admission he was asked by Boy A if he wanted to kill Ana, then he led her to the house to meet Boy A and watched her be murdered. These are things he said.

His only defense was that Boy A was joking when he said he wanted to kill her, that he didn't know he was going to kill her when being led to a weird abandoned house despite having no relationship with Ana and then ran away when she was being murdered.

If he had kept his mouth shut in interviews it would have been super suspicious but he would have gotten away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Revealing their identities achieves nothing positive, I'm surprised there's even a debate around that. It would expose relatives to potential danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

This in particular is infuriating, people thinking they are damaging them, when in fact they’re probably going to help any appeals process. The judge was quick enough to get out ahead of it with the bans on Facebook and Twitter, but it still wasn’t enough.

stephen_n wrote: »
    This in particular is infuriating, people thinking they are damaging them, when in fact they’re probably going to help any appeals process. The judge was quick enough to get out ahead of it with the bans on Facebook and Twitter, but it still wasn’t enough.

I believe Red FM were interviewing a journalist from Dublin Live yesterday who was in the court room during the trial. The journalist was talking about Boy B and accidentally dropped Boy A's name whilst talking. Absolute clanger. From reading an online description, you could hear the journalist was immediatley shaken as he realised what he had just done.

For the record though, the names were never, ever going to stay secret in this day and age. The entire area of Leixlip were completely aware of who the lads were going back to the original arrests.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

I believe Red FM were interviewing a journalist from Dublin Live yesterday who was in the court room during the trial. The journalist was talking about Boy B and accidentally dropped Boy A's name whilst talking. Absolute clanger. From reading an online description, you could hear the journalist was immediatley shaken as he realised what he had just done.

For the record though, the names were never, ever going to stay secret in this day and age. The entire area of Leixlip were completely aware of who the lads were going back to the original arrests.

Yeah that was on in the office here. He said it twice fairly quickly before anyone copped what had happened and they shut down the interview.

Yeah I know that it was inevitable, but the people sharing it should really check their motivations. I really don’t believe these two, certainly not boy A, deserve the protection of anonymity. It’s just as thomond says, there’s no good that will come from sharing that information.

On your initial post regarding Boy B, he probably shouldn’t be charged with murder but he was definitely an accessory, just we don’t seem to have a charge for that. He was definitely instrumental in the murder, even if he didn’t physically carry it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

stephen_n wrote: »
    Yeah I know that it was inevitable, but the people sharing it should really check their motivations. I really don’t believe these two, certainly not boy A, deserve the protection of anonymity. It’s just as thomond says, there’s no good that will come from sharing that information.

On your initial post regarding Boy B, he probably shouldn’t be charged with murder but he was definitely an accessory, just we don’t seem to have a charge for that. He was definitely instrumental in the murder, even if he didn’t physically carry it out.

The Bulger case should really be evidence enough of exactly why you don't release the information of young offenders. If anything, sharing their information means they're likely going to get a completely fresh start under a new identity due to the media exposure. Which means little accountability on release for them and everything sealed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

The Bulger case should really be evidence enough of exactly why you don't release the information of young offenders. If anything, sharing their information means they're likely going to get a completely fresh start under a new identity due to the media exposure. Which means little accountability on release for them and everything sealed.

I'd guess fresh starts with new identities was always going to be the case, whether publicly identified or not. There's a lot of people know exactly who they are

• Advertisement

This is Ireland, how far is a new identity going to get you? They will probably have to leave the country anyway when they get out. This stuff just lands on their families.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement