Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 4.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I haven't the first idea about music these days. I still consider Kings of Leon a new band.

Noel Gallagher is one to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 17,057 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

He's does showband gigs around Monasterevin doesn't he?

Noel Gallagher is one to watch

fr-damo-390x285.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Bazzo wrote: »
    Connacht champs.

Hard luck to Galway, we've all had days with a second half like that.

Ye were certainly the better side today and enjoy the win. The loss was made much worse by the fact I was at both Galway defeats this weekend.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Bazzo wrote: »
    Connacht champs.

Hard luck to Galway, we've all had days with a second half like that.

I was thinking of turning it off at half time, I was that annoyed at how poor Roscommon were. A great comeback. Fair play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,057 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I don't follow the GAA ball at all, who's looking most likely to lose to Dublin in this year's All Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

I don't follow the GAA ball at all, who's looking most likely to lose to Dublin in this year's All Ireland?

Probably Kerry or Donegal.

• Administrators Posts: 53,556 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Mayo are ****e and Tyrone are ****e so that leaves Kerry as this years offering.

Dubs for the football and Tipp for the hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

awec wrote: »
    Mayo are ****e and Tyrone are ****e so that leaves Kerry as this years offering.

I'm as tuned out from GAA as I can get... But Mayo weren't in the connaught (connacht) final today?

But... But... But...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

kuang1 wrote: »
    I'm as tuned out from GAA as I can get... But Mayo weren't in the connaught (connacht) final today?

But... But... But...

The Connacht final has been Galway Vs Roscommon for 4 years on the bounce now.

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »

I don't get it. Why would it ever have been Tyrone?? I think Cavan could do very well this year. Worried Donegal won't have enough for them next week. Mickey Graham has had a serious couple of years in the club game and it seems to be carrying over to inter-county.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

dregin wrote: »
    I don't get it. Why would it ever have been Tyrone?? I think Cavan could do very well this year. Worried Donegal won't have enough for them next week. Mickey Graham has had a serious couple of years in the club game and it seems to be carrying over to inter-county.

Tyrone lost their two opening games of the league but went unbeaten for the rest of the campaign including knocking off Dublin in Croker. I can see why people would have thought they had as good a chance as anyone. Whilst Mayo won the league, I'd have very little confidence in them still to win in Croker against Dublin. I was at the league game between them and something just falls apart inside Mayo heads when they see the blue jerseys in Croker.

Kerry are possibly looking the best of the rest right now but I wouldn't be backing them. They'll need to show more than they have so far in 2019 and, with the Super 8 format, I'd wonder if they have the depth to still be delivering at the end of August.

Dublin spluttered through the league campaign but they switched straight back into Championship mode once it started. It's hard to look beyond them right now.

Does the league really mean anything at all? I don't generally keep up with GAA goings and comings and am only familiar with Cavan because I lived there for a while, but when was the last time the Division 1 league winners also won the Championship?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Does the league really mean anything at all? I don't generally keep up with GAA goings and comings and am only familiar with Cavan because I lived there for a while, but when was the last time the Division 1 league winners also won the Championship?

Winning the league is a big deal for a team like Mayo who hadn't won anything since 2001. I doubt the current Dublin side care.

I meant more does the league mean anything when judging potential winners of the championship. It really doesn't feel like it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I meant more does the league mean anything when judging potential winners of the championship. It really doesn't feel like it does.

Certainly not this year! Waterford made the league final (where they were routinely dispatched by Limerick) and were then completely off the pace in Munster.

9 of the last 17 All Ireland titles were won by the team that won the league title.

It's certainly not a guaranteed measure but it would be unusual for a team to perform quite poorly in the league and then walk away with the All Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

That stat will probably be skewed a bit by this Dublin side, who I think did the double in 2013, 15, 16 and 18.

Having a full squad at every training session, as well as massive strength in depth is a massive help during the NFL

Its hard to know overall how much difference it makes. Kerry - the last AI winners outside Dublin - barely stayed up in 2014 but then won the AI.

Donegal only barely stayed up in 2012 too I remember. Kerry won the league in 2017 but lost to Mayo in AI semi. Outside of this awesome Dublin side these are the only real recent-ish examples to go on
    Buer wrote: »
    I can see why people would have thought they had as good a chance as anyone. Whilst Mayo won the league, I'd have very little confidence in them still to win in Croker against Dublin. I was at the league game between them and something just falls apart inside Mayo heads when they see the blue jerseys in Croker.

While Mayo's days of putting it up to Dublin are probably gone I think the bolded is a bit harsh

In championship there's been a kick of the ball between the 2 in most meetings. And this has been a Mayo side operating without any true top forward, bar Cillian O'Connor on his day. If anything I think Mayo have nearly played above themselves to keep it close to this great Dublin side.

Personally I don't think anyone else will lay a glove on them over the next few years. last year was as much of an All Ireland procession as I can remember and I'd be very surprised if this year was any more competitive

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

jr86 wrote: »
    That stat will probably be skewed a bit by this Dublin side, who I think did the double in 2013, 15, 16 and 18.

Having a full squad at every training session, as well as massive strength in depth is a massive help during the NFL

Its hard to know overall how much difference it makes. Kerry - the last AI winners outside Dublin - barely stayed up in 2014 but then won the AI.

Donegal only barely stayed up in 2012 too I remember. Kerry won the league in 2017 but lost to Mayo in AI semi. Outside of this awesome Dublin side these are the only real recent-ish examples to go on

While Mayo's days of putting it up to Dublin are probably gone I think the bolded is a bit harsh

In championship there's been a kick of the ball between the 2 in most meetings. And this has been a Mayo side operating without any true top forward, bar Cillian O'Connor on his day. If anything I think Mayo have nearly played above themselves to keep it close to this great Dublin side.

Personally I don't think anyone else will lay a glove on them over the next few years. last year was as much of an All Ireland procession as I can remember and I'd be very surprised if this year was any more competitive

The bolded bit is harsh too. Andy Moran has been an absolutely class forward for years. COC would be up there but his discipline lets him down, he should have even more red cards than he does.

Moran had a fine 2017 campaign but hasn't been consistent enough outside of that for me. To be fair a lot of that is down to injuries but he's still a notch below being consistently 'top class' for me

I don't think he would ever have made this Dublin team, or the kerry/Tyrone sides of the 00s for example

• Advertisement

The Allianz League is like the Pro14.

Outside of this awesome Dublin side these are the only real recent-ish examples to go on

You'd have to go back to 2008 to find a league winner that didn't make at least the quarter finals of the All Ireland and that only happened on one occasion. It has been a minimum of semi final for all other winners since then. Cork and Kerry have both won the league and AI in the same season since 2008.

It's by no means a guarantee of silverware but it is generally a pretty strong indication of a team that is hitting its stride and will be in the mix come the business end of the championship.

Moran had a fine 2017 campaign but hasn't been consistent enough outside of that for me. To be fair a lot of that is down to injuries but he's still a notch below being consistently 'top class' for me

I don't think he would ever have made this Dublin team, or the kerry/Tyrone sides of the 00s for example

He has been an excellent player but is on borrowed time and really should have walked away last year. He's 36 this year and I suspect his decision to keep at it is as much a business decision for him as it is a footballing one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

He has been an excellent player but is on borrowed time and really should have walked away last year. He's 36 this year and I suspect his decision to keep at it is as much a business decision for him as it is a footballing one.

All true, but I was responding to a post that said "this has been a Mayo side operating without any true top forward". I was taking that as looking at Mayo over the last 6 years or so when they have been contesting All-Irelands. He might not have fitted into the Dublin team but IMO he 's been one of the top corner forwards of the last decade, and without him Mayo would not have been so close to silverware.

It was probably difficult for anyone to walk away in the circumstances last year - it would have been tough to jump ship right after their first early exit in 8 years

I could see an exodus after this season though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Platini arrested in connection with Qatar bring awarded the soccer World Cup 2022.

Which I really don’t understand as a tournament in Qatar with 45 degree heat is a logical choice and therefore no money needed to have changed hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,626 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Platini arrested in connection with Qatar bring awarded the soccer World Cup 2022.

Which I really don’t understand as a tournament in Qatar with 45 degree heat is a logical choice and therefore no money needed to have changed hands.

Don't forget the fact they had to build 9 brand new stadiums and renovate 3, as they one stadium up to scratch of holding world cup games. And they're being built by migrant workers who are dying and working under conditions that breach human rights.

Completely above board.

Is there any chance that 2022 will just be taken off em and given to someone like England?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,626 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Is there any chance that 2022 will just be taken off em and given to someone like England?

Probably not at this stage, something like that would have to go to international courts etc. Qatar have already pumped millions if not billions into their stadiums and transport, and it probably doesn't leave adequate time for another nation to plan out the whole thing. As much of a sh!t show the Qatar WC will be, and the fact they got it through the ways they did, it'll be better than a complete logistical disaster if they were to move it at this point.

• Advertisement

Nobody else would be able to host 2022 at such short notice.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement