Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ICC World Cup 2019

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

I strongly suspect that, regardless of what DL target Pakistan may be set, India are already home and dry (well maybe a bit damp, rather than dry!). The big worry for them must be that the weather will prevent them from bowling the required 20 overs to make a match of it.

UPDATE: India 336/5 from 50. Big ask for Pakistan.

Seem to be happy at 70/1 after 15 to keep wickets intact. Maybe hoping for a rain intervention and a lower revised target which they can just have a lash at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

Pakistan getting put to the sword here.

Farce territory now, RRR near 36!

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Debub

Super comprehensive victory by India in THE most high profile match of the tournament, looking forward to ENG - IND next

Pakistan celebrate getting Rahul out and breaking a 136 run opening partnership, only to watch Virat Kohli walk out.

That India team will take some stopping.

Debub wrote: »
    Super comprehensive victory by India in THE most high profile match of the tournament, looking forward to ENG - IND next

Should PAK have batted first? Given the forecast.. their innings was quite disrupted by rain delays apart from losing wickets.

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Should PAK have batted first? Given the forecast.. their innings was quite disrupted by rain delays apart from losing wickets.

Apparently both the captains wanted to bowl first given the choice - tho there was nothing in the wicket really - maybe they thought that the ball and outfield will be slipperier in the second half

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

WI 321/6/50 play B'desh 81/1/11

Bangladesh are going at 7 an over in Taunton which is a small, fast scoring ground. I reckon they could win this one. Not sure whether that would be a shock.

(Chris Gayle's 13 ball duck wasn't much help to the W'Indies.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Bangladesh comfortably chasing down 322 atm. 192/3 after 28, Windies badly in need of something, anything.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,569 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

18 off the first 3 balls of the 38th over have not done their chances much harm

29 required off 73, 7 wickets in hand

• Advertisement

Adamcp898 wrote: »

Windies badly in need of something, anything.

Some decent bowlers would be a start.

Only Cotterell looks as though he's trying. Gabriel should be sent home tonight. Gayle's couple of overs of dolly drops were laughable.

A shame to see 'Dre Rus limping around the outfield.

And now a c&b drop by Cotterell - would have been a good catch.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,569 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

6 required, 9 overs to get them.....

Great stuff from Bangladesh, still in with a shout for an SF spot and I think they will beat another fancied team, so still plenty to play for.
    Steve Rhodes proving what a great coach he is and the brilliant Shakib proving why he's one of the worlds best all rounders.

That was a super run chase by Bangladesh... Windies got a good hammering and were really into bad bowling yesterday

Afg up against it again today, Eng 230/2 with 12 to go... facing too big an eventual total you'd think.

Wonder how we'd have got on? Much the same or worse I'd guess. Only advantage would be more familiarity with conditions.

Hasn't been a great competition to date I think - too few close finishes. Lots of relatively straightforward wins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

Eoin Morgan :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭wicorthered

I'm really enjoying an Irishman smashing Rashid Khan all over the place. I wonder has his bubble burst a bit this world cup?

11 6's, and a century

Well done Morgs

Thats a great ton for Morgan in just 57 balls with 78 coming in boundaries.

• Advertisement

And the fourth quickest 100 in WC history.

I'm really enjoying an Irishman smashing Rashid Khan all over the place. I wonder has his bubble burst a bit this world cup?

His bubble burst during the Big Bash - almost every time that the Strikers needed him to slow things down, he failed.

The four fastest WC Tons

Kevin O'Brien 50 balls
    Glen Maxwell 51 Balls
    AB de Villiers 52 Balls
    Eoin Morgan 57 Balls

The Irish love a good (controlled) Slog :pac:

Record ODI 6s for Morgan with 17

that's brillaint from him

that's 102 in just 6s

some going

... and 120 off 46 balls after he was dropped on 28:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭axe2grind

An England collapse!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,159 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Almost glad Ireland didn't qualify now after that.

397/6

how many overs will AFG last?

Moeen with some impressive numbers too.

397-6 with Moeen Ali getting 31 off 9 balls to overtake Liam Plunkett's prior fastest innings RR in the competition

Just a pity he's not been there for us but sin scéal eile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Been a disappointing World Cup so far, in terms of excitement. The vast majority of matches have been fairly one-sided with only a couple of surprise results.

South Africa versus New Zealand looks a good match on paper and if South Africa won it would probably be good for the tournament as it would open up that fourth spot but they have struggled a bit and are only 127/3 after 31 overs. They need a big push in these late overs and their batting has let them down so far in the tournament.

VillaMad wrote: »
    Been a disappointing World Cup so far, in terms of excitement. The vast majority of matches have been fairly one-sided with only a couple of surprise results.

South Africa versus New Zealand looks a good match on paper and if South Africa won it would probably be good for the tournament as it would open up that fourth spot but they have struggled a bit and are only 127/3 after 31 overs. They need a big push in these late overs and their batting has let them down so far in the tournament.

Yeah, if the idea of limiting the entry to the 'big boys' was to create more competitive matches, it hasn't worked out that well so far.

SA 241, be interesting to see what sort of start NZ get off to. Runs seemed to be hard to come by.

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Yeah, if the idea of limiting the entry to the 'big boys' was to create more competitive matches, it hasn't worked out that well so far.

SA 241, be interesting to see what sort of start NZ get off to. Runs seemed to be hard to come by.

The cynic in me think that it was to have a guaranteed 9 games for India as they have the biggest market. Having so many one day games I had hoped for more random results but the gap between the Big 3 and rest is fairly big albeit New Zealand constantly punch above their weight.

South Africa coming back into the contest taking two quick wickets with Guptill and Taylor falling in poor fashion. 74/3 and game on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,578 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

What an amazing knock by Williamson. Patient and controlled for so long and then opened up right at the end when he needed to and sealed the win

KevIRL wrote: »
    What an amazing knock by Williamson. Patient and controlled for so long and then opened up right at the end when he needed to and sealed the win

Rode their luck though too from what I read? And left it very tight at the end, you'd think batting second with that lowish total that they'd have been more in control but I didn't see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 KristenHeigl

how are u all watching cricket matches from USA? specifically California.

how are u all watching cricket matches from USA? specifically California.

Sky Sports I guess in this part of the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Very 1990s score for Sri Lanka. 232-9 off 50. England 63-2 in the 17th

Sri Lanka making a better go of this than I thought they'd manage. Morgan gone off a great c&b 73/3

5 down now. Need 89 from 105 balls. Might actually have two close games in a row this World Cup...........................

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,243 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

need stokes gone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,578 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Didn't see this coming at start of England innings

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭nice bit of green

Listened to all of SL’s innings and the first half hour of England on guerrila cricket for the first time. Purposely avoided the result when I got home and just watched the highlights. Very interesting.
    Enjoyed the radio banter and the jingles are very good.

Great win for SL, didn’t look likely at all at the break. Did Eng get a little too cocky after smashing Afg all over the park? What’s sure is now they have to start really playing under pressure, their tough matches come up next.

All this hype around England... it just feels like they're setting themselves up for a big fall. Scores of 400+ are great and all but they're not the only way to win cricket matches. I expect them to comfortably makes the semis but once they're at that point they're only a few bad shots away from a sub par total. There's no room for error in the knockout phase.

Showing signs of coming true..

I see India in a spot of bother today against AFG, chose to bat and 146/4 with 16 overs left. Do well to get anyway close to 300 and could be a good bit below. Who'd have thought, complacency again?

Brilliant effort by Afghanistan to reduce India to 224 from their 50 overs.

Similar enough pitch to yesterday but with it offering more for the spinners so I would still expect India to defend it, considering their bowling line-up.

The Afghans are making steady progress at 61/1/16 - they just need to keep scoring at 4 an over and they'll win this one!

In the other game both Kiwi openers were out for ducks, but Williamson and Taylor have taken the score to 141/2/29.

UPDATES:-

Afghans are 92/2/25 - the run rate required is slipping upwards, but 134 from 25 overs seems well within their capability.

In the other game, Williamson has an excellent century as the Kiwis are 183/3/38 on a slow Old Trafford pitch.

The excellent Bumrah takes 2 in 2, and the Afghans are in a bit of strife. 109/4/30. They need 116 from 20.

• Advertisement

The excellent Bumrah takes 2 in 2, and the Afghans are in a bit of strife. 109/4/30. They need 116 from 20.

Could be a tight finish, if they can keep their heads, 5 wickets but need 6+ an over.......

Advertisement