Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread Part 3 **MOD NOTE POST 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Village87 wrote: »
    The main concern at present seems to be getting the club back into action by late August/September,that would mean one of three options for intercounty 1. Not payed at all. 2. played October/ November 3. played early 2021. I was looking at the age profile of the Kilkenny team. Lads like TJ/ Riche Hogan will be 33/32 this year, Paul Murphy and Colin Fennelly 31, Conor Fogarty and Eoin Murphy 30. Kilkennys age profile is pushing up. This stop is not ideal for Kilkenny at present with an ageing team

Cody heading for the bus pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭sportsmaddad

https://punditarena.com/gaa/smcmahon/gaa-statement-intercounty-resumption/

I'm disappointed to hear this. Not so much about the delay to inter county, but the lack of activity for another 10 weeks or so. Especially when the health experts advised that small group training was OK.
    It's kids who are suffering the most. Adults can get on with their own fitness and s & c stuff. But we're going to have to get used to living with this thing. And we're going to have to start getting creative about working around it.
    If we're holding out for a vaccine, we'll be waiting....

Its a year none of us are going to forget for a long time , as regards sport is it a major priority at the moment peoples lives and business have been reefed to bits the last seven weeks families have not seen one another in that time and it will be longer. The gaa would be great if it was back we should have been starting sunday week , these gaa players have lives to make sure get everything right first.

• Advertisement

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/there-is-no-scientific-or-medical-reason-for-the-gaa-to-keep-grounds-locked-until-july-20-39210861.html

Coln O Rourke talking a lot of sense here, both in relation to schools and sports. I think we will really look back on this as a mistake. Locking kids up at home, away from school for almost 6 months and sports activities (excl. golf, tennis, any others?) for 4 months+, is over the top. Especially when all the numbers are consistently going in the right direction.
    As regards the GAA, I take the points that Mr Horan made on Sunday Game last week. But we're going to have to get used to living with this thing. And that means getting ourselves organised and start adapting at every level, be that individual, business, sports club, whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭randd1

Any chance if they are going to go ahead with the county championships that they'd be tweaked? I know a lot will depend on whether there's going to be any inter-county played, but with a limit on crowd numbers I'm not sure that will be possible.If they were to cancel the inter-county season, and the clubs were free to go ahead with matches starting the first week in August, we'd probably get a full championship done, all we'd need would be 12 weeks which would take us until the end of October.

Personally, I'd love to see them tweak the championship structure anyway. Get rid of the league & shield finals, and have only the top 4 from each group go straight to the Quarter finals (1st v 4th of opposite group, 2nd v 3rd of opposite group). Have the bottom two team into relegation SF's (5th v 6th of opposite group).

It would make the group phase a bit more cut-throat knowing you'd have to win a few games to avoid possible relegation, and remove one round from the calendar.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭kkclubhurling

randd1 wrote: »
    Any chance if they are going to go ahead with the county championships that they'd be tweaked? I know a lot will depend on whether there's going to be any inter-county played, but with a limit on crowd numbers I'm not sure that will be possible.If they were to cancel the inter-county season, and the clubs were free to go ahead with matches starting the first week in August, we'd probably get a full championship done, all we'd need would be 12 weeks which would take us until the end of October.

Personally, I'd love to see them tweak the championship structure anyway. Get rid of the league & shield finals, and have only the top 4 from each group go straight to the Quarter finals (1st v 4th of opposite group, 2nd v 3rd of opposite group). Have the bottom two team into relegation SF's (5th v 6th of opposite group).

It would make the group phase a bit more cut-throat knowing you'd have to win a few games to avoid possible relegation, and remove one round from the calendar.

One of the cornerstones of club hurling at all ages and grades in Kilkenny is that every team plays a knockout championship game and long May that continue imo

• Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/there-is-no-scientific-or-medical-reason-for-the-gaa-to-keep-grounds-locked-until-july-20-39210861.html

Coln O Rourke talking a lot of sense here, both in relation to schools and sports. I think we will really look back on this as a mistake. Locking kids up at home, away from school for almost 6 months and sports activities (excl. golf, tennis, any others?) for 4 months+, is over the top. Especially when all the numbers are consistently going in the right direction.
    As regards the GAA, I take the points that Mr Horan made on Sunday Game last week. But we're going to have to get used to living with this thing. And that means getting ourselves organised and start adapting at every level, be that individual, business, sports club, whatever.

The numbers are going in the right direction. But ask yourself the question as why the numbers are going that way... is it because of the restrictions in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

One of the cornerstones of club hurling at all ages and grades in Kilkenny is that every team plays a knockout championship game and long May that continue imo

I see where you're coming from but it's a bit ridiculous that if you finish 5th in your group you play the worst team in the opposite group but if you finish 4th in your group you have to play the 3rd best. I know there's a built in risk with the first round doubling as a relegation semi final but it doesn't make up for the fact that the competition has a fundamental flaw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Swamp_Cat

The numbers are going in the right direction. But ask yourself the question as why the numbers are going that way... is it because of the restrictions in the first place

Just keep an eye on whatever we are doing or planning here in the states, ...& just do the opposite. You've done great as a country so far from what I know & have been told. Just keep it up. & hopefully we'll get some GAA action. Stay safe all

Julie catch a rabbit by its hare...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Swamp_Cat wrote: »
    Just keep an eye on whatever we are doing or planning here in the states, ...& just do the opposite. You've done great as a country so far from what I know & have been told. Just keep it up. & hopefully we'll get some GAA action. Stay safe all

Worldometers. Covid/Chinese virus deaths. USA 291 deaths per 1 million of population. Ireland 321 deaths per 1 million of population. Some advise that.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭dubcat51

Anyone know where I can view our 2013 qualifier win over waterford and 2018 league win over tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭randd1

They'd still be getting a knockout game, only it would be to avoid relegation.

As an aside, I'd love to see a world cup style tournament (the Kilkenny Super Cup!!) set up for the club player and played in Kilkenny every year going forward.

A 32 team tournament, we have 12 senior teams, 12 Intermediate teams, and the other 8 teams could be made up of the best 8 Junior clubs (or possibly the 4 best junior clubs and the 4 Carlow senior clubs?). Open draw, 8 groups of 4, all knockout games finish on the day.

We could put forward prize money to give the competition a bit of a kick, €1k for the quarter finalists, €2k for the semi finalists and runners up and €3k for the champions.

The competition would pretty much go hand in hand with the inter-county round robin, except we wouldn't be playing games on the days that Kilkenny teams (senior, U20 or minor) are playing, and would be played without the county players.

The tournament would be run off like the World Cup only with 4 days between games over the course of a month (say the month of June).

The main purpose would give club players s a genuine tournament to look forward to, and to give the teams from the lower grades access to better quality opposition to help improve the standard at those levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Village87

John Kiely came across very well last night on the Sunday Game. Great perspective on things. Really enjoyed his answer to the question about the Limerick hurlers dancing to raise funds. Really lets the players express themselves and great to see. Other managers have there players cocooned from any type of coverage like this.

Cody will have to organise a dance at the crossroad, I say Danesfort cross would be best it would be in the 5 kilometre radius. As regards fundraising I remember a kilkenny hurler been ripped to pieces by somebody here about holding a horse was told he should be concentrating on getting himself ready for the championship so you are fecked if you do and fecked if you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

randd1 wrote: »
    They'd still be getting a knockout game, only it would be to avoid relegation.

As an aside, I'd love to see a world cup style tournament (the Kilkenny Super Cup!!) set up for the club player and played in Kilkenny every year going forward.

A 32 team tournament, we have 12 senior teams, 12 Intermediate teams, and the other 8 teams could be made up of the best 8 Junior clubs (or possibly the 4 best junior clubs and the 4 Carlow senior clubs?). Open draw, 8 groups of 4, all knockout games finish on the day.

We could put forward prize money to give the competition a bit of a kick, €1k for the quarter finalists, €2k for the semi finalists and runners up and €3k for the champions.

The competition would pretty much go hand in hand with the inter-county round robin, except we wouldn't be playing games on the days that Kilkenny teams (senior, U20 or minor) are playing, and would be played without the county players.

The tournament would be run off like the World Cup only with 4 days between games over the course of a month (say the month of June).

The main purpose would give club players s a genuine tournament to look forward to, and to give the teams from the lower grades access to better quality opposition to help improve the standard at those levels.

We already have this no? The all county league. Nobody takes it in any way seriously. Years back the the prize was a pair of Puma Kings for each players on the panel. It was known as the boots league.

Or have I made that up? Anyone else remember that?

I'd love to see a local 7s hurling tournament. Easy to organise during the summer.
    4 clubs at each venue one Saturday.
    Winners move on to the next weekend until you get to a finals weekend or a semi final, shield final and main final. 3 or 4 weekends would so it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

. Years back the the prize was a pair of Puma Kings for each players on the panel. It was known as the boots league.

Haha I never heard that, but it kind of has to be true!

Fred Daly wrote: »
    Cody will have to organise a dance at the crossroad, I say Danesfort cross would be best it would be in the 5 kilometre radius. As regards fundraising I remember a kilkenny hurler been ripped to pieces by somebody here about holding a horse was told he should be concentrating on getting himself ready for the championship so you are fecked if you do and fecked if you don't.

That was a week before a must win championship match if my memory serves me right, and Murphy was after getting a few run arounds leading up to it. Limerick case is different, done completely during downtime.

That was a week before a must win championship match if my memory serves me right, and Murphy was after getting a few run arounds leading up to it. Limerick case is different, done completely during downtime.

If that is the case its done in there downtime why are you saying John Kiely was such a great man to let them at it , do you know there is a pandemic out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭Grats

Fred Daly wrote: »
    If that is the case its done in there downtime why are you saying John Kiely was such a great man to let them at it , do you know there is a pandemic out there.

Precisely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

It's one thing getting involved in petty tit for tats with other counties about what happens between the white lines, but to be having a go at fellas for raising money for hospice is a level of spite that's really breaking new ground.

Shameful stuff.

It's one thing getting involved in petty tit for tats with other counties about what happens between the white lines, but to be having a go at fellas for raising money for hospice is a level of spite that's really breaking new ground.

Shameful stuff.

Who had a go at them?

(it's OK we'll wait while you find the post you are referring to)

Good to hear that KK Seniors are taking the common sense approach. Back training in small groups, complying with Phase 1 relaxation of restrictions. It really is a pity that juveniles aren't being allowed bsck on the field. Between school and sporting activities they really are being deprived. Especially when we see how things are progressing in other countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Who had a go at them?

(it's OK we'll wait while you find the post you are referring to)

On the second thought I did misread the above, thought there was a slight that they were acting irresponsibly during the pandemic. I'll go out and get some fresh air tomorrow! Apologies to both posters.

On the second thought I did misread the above, thought there was a slight that they were acting irresponsibly during the pandemic. I'll go out and get some fresh air tomorrow! Apologies to both posters.

Fair play, I was all set to maliciously rake you over the coals for the craic when you refused to back down on a mistake. This being the internet, someone admitting a mistake just isn't what I expected...

Good to hear that KK Seniors are taking the common sense approach. Back training in small groups, complying with Phase 1 relaxation of restrictions. It really is a pity that juveniles aren't being allowed bsck on the field. Between school and sporting activities they really are being deprived. Especially when we see how things are progressing in other countries.

Hard to know what approach is the best for Seniors, very unlikely the 2020 championship will take place in 2020. Croke Park has regularly stated since the pandemic occurred that Club championship will be played first. This will leave little room in the calendar year for inter-county. The crowds for inter-county also a massive concern going forward.

7/8 players starting or very close on the Kilkenny senior team at present who were knocked out by Westmeath in the u21 championship.

D Brennan; E Cody, C Delaney, H Lalor; P Lyng, J Cleere, P Deegan; C Browne, E Kenny; L Blanchfield, S Morrissey (0-2), N Mullins; B Ryan (0-3), A Murphy, J Walsh (0-6f). Subs: A Gaffney (0-1'65) for E Kenny, K Blanchfield for A Murphy, T Phelan for N Mullins.

worrying times after the crop of lads aged between 28 and 32/33 go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

7/8 players starting or very close on the Kilkenny senior team at present who were knocked out by Westmeath in the u21 championship.

D Brennan; E Cody, C Delaney, H Lalor; P Lyng, J Cleere, P Deegan; C Browne, E Kenny; L Blanchfield, S Morrissey (0-2), N Mullins; B Ryan (0-3), A Murphy, J Walsh (0-6f). Subs: A Gaffney (0-1'65) for E Kenny, K Blanchfield for A Murphy, T Phelan for N Mullins.

worrying times after the crop of lads aged between 28 and 32/33 go
    in fairness i don't think 1 underage game should define a fella, my own county lost an u21 all Ireland semi final to antrim in 2013 when the players have openly admitted complacency cost them,i also remember reading Kerry lost an u21 Munster football final to cork in 2011 something like 2-21 0-6, then in 2014 6 of the team were starting when they beat Donegal in the Senior final.

• Advertisement

my own county lost an u21 all Ireland semi final to antrim in 2013 when the players have openly admitted complacency cost them,

I remember that, the Antrim manager had so much faith in his team that he'd booked a holiday in America when the all Ireland would be on, and half his team weren't even on the field

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement