Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Steak Thread SEE OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I think of all supermarkets Supervalue is the one most likely to have the wrong prices on things. Happened me in there only two weeks back- onion granules listed as 1.68 on the shelf (where you have to squint to see the price on the tiny labels) and then it was 2.38 at the till.

Then you're made feel like a plonker as the queue is held up while the staff member has to go down to the shelves to see if what you're saying is true or not. I absolutely hate that sh1t as a customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I think of all supermarkets Supervalue is the one most likely to have the wrong prices on things.

The one closest to me, no exaggeration, has the wrong price and name under 75% of their wines. Maybe more. Its kind of a running joke now.

Anyway steak, I do like the aged Angus in the packets. Ribeyes and fillets are very good. Im not a big sirloin guy. Don't really like the taste or texture.

The Nal wrote: »
    The one closest to me, no exaggeration, has the wrong price and name under 75% of their wines. Maybe more. Its kind of a running joke now.

That is a farce and would put me off shopping there. Its fine if it happens once in a blue moon but when its consistent its very frustrating. I dont know what it is about Supervalue that they seem to suffer from it, could be that many stores are franchises so the pricing system isnt centralised across the group and then mistakes are made at store level. Either way when it happens consistently it only leads to the customer thinking they're doing it on purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,826 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Just be thankful ye don't have to visit our local Mace is all I have to say.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Tesco worst

Aldi and Lidl best

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,183 ✭✭✭✭noodler

That is a farce and would put me off shopping there. Its fine if it happens once in a blue moon but when its consistent its very frustrating. I dont know what it is about Supervalue that they seem to suffer from it, could be that many stores are franchises so the pricing system isnt centralised across the group and then mistakes are made at store level. Either way when it happens consistently it only leads to the customer thinking they're doing it on purpose.

I find this is the case at my local SV and it puts me off shopping there.

The price is constantly not as advertised on the shelve.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭CH3OH

bigron2109 wrote: »
    Asked for two pieces of fillet steak today at the butchers counter as they were 50% off. He gave them to me and I was shocked by the price . €14.21 for 0.406 kg. Not much of a bargain I though. Put them back in the fridge.

I went into Supervalu Arklow to get some of the fillet.
    The fillet on the butcher counter in Arklow is not on offer as Pettitts sell their own Sleedagh farm beef.

The offer was only on prepackaged fillet in a chilled cabinet.

The cheaper fillet didn't look great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

CH3OH wrote: »
    I went into Supervalu Arklow to get some of the fillet.
    The fillet on the butcher counter in Arklow is not on offer as Pettitts sell their own Sleedagh farm beef.

The offer was only on prepackaged fillet in a chilled cabinet.

The cheaper fillet didn't look great.
    That’s a strange one, did was the sleeda farm logo on the prepack fillet steak?
    Whatever SuperValus ye are near need to sort themselves out, ones I go to in Ballincollig in cork are spot on. Loads of Fillet steak there today!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Then you're made feel like a plonker as the queue is held up while the staff member has to go down to the shelves to see if what you're saying is true or not. I absolutely hate that sh1t as a customer.
    I found this too. They had to go check, call over managers with a key for the till etc, big rigmarole.

Instead I started looking at the till, the second something was scanned I would be saying "can you put that back please" they would look at me confused I'd say "the price is wrong", they'd be saying "oh I can go and check".

me -"no I'm grand thanks, I know it's wrong but I don't have the time"

and I didn't as I was getting a lift with a guy from work. It got to the stage I would add extra similar things to my basket, on the presumption I might not get some!

________
    back on topic tesco have peri peri steaks (no cut mentioned so cheap cut) in their massive selection of mix & match 3 for a tenner meats. 55 items showing, whole chickens, salmon, mackerel, beef, pork.

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/SpecialOffers/SpecialOfferDetail/Default.aspx?promoId=R32813934

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

We had a couple of T bones during the week. The best I've had.
    They came from a cow 200 meters up the road :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭shnaek

Just got a cowboy out in Glanmire. I went for Fillet, but they were sold out. Never had a cowboy before - looking forward to it. What do ye reckon - 3 minutes either side?

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭dennispenn

shnaek wrote: »
    Just got a cowboy out in Glanmire. I went for Fillet, but they were sold out. Never had a cowboy before - looking forward to it. What do ye reckon - 3 minutes either side?

I usually leave the steak to rest on a chopping board for half an hour.

Then I turn it onto the other side where it rests for another half an hour on a seasoned chopping board.

I cook it in a cast iron skillet for a good 4 minutes either side.
    I then let it rest for a minute out of the pan and this removes excess blood.

This is my preference.

This Thursday coming, SuperValu are doing t-bone steak, fillet steak and lamb cutlets 33percent off.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,116 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I'd brown it in a pan and finish in the oven wrapped in tinfoil, when you think you've too much salt on it add some more.
    Get a nice beer or wine to wash it down with.

Just season well on both sides and cook for 2 to 2 1/2 minutes either side for medium rare and rest under a very loose bit of foil.

Resting is so important. It needs 4 or 5 minutes.

Not sure how thick your cowboy is but if its 1.5-2 inches in thickness like my one on Saturday was Id advise using a reverse sear with both oven and hot cast iron pan. If you use pan alone on such a thick steak you could burn the outside but the inside wont be cooked enough because of the thickness.

This is what I did to deliver medium rare, into an oven preheated to 135c with a probe in and the internal temperature set for 55c. Then rest it wrapped in tin foil for 10 minutes, then into a screaming hot pan to sear it, approx 90 seconds each side will deliver a uniform crust. Use tongs to render any sidewall fat and its ready to eat straight from the pan, no need for more resting as its already done.

Steak sale in Supervalu this week, save 33% on ribeye, Striploin and T-Bone. Rib eye only €14/kg 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Rib Eye for Dinner tonight :D
    might do a little marinade when i get home and then throw t on the BBQ with a nice bottle of rijoca

Has anyone managed to get the fillet steaks at 50% off in Supervalue. Was in Friday and they had none, same on Sunday and then same again today. No cowboys there either even though the offer is running till Thursday. Waste of a trip :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

None in my local one. Butcher said they can't get them in. He said they probably won't have any of the new rib eyes that are going on offer either. Waste of time really

Has anyone managed to get the fillet steaks at 50% off in Supervalue. Was in Friday and they had none, same on Sunday and then same again today. No cowboys there either even though the offer is running till Thursday. Waste of a trip :(

Supervalu Ballincollig had plenty got some Friday and yesterday. Reckon they went and got more somewhere else whereas others just left it.!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

None in my local one. Butcher said they can't get them in. He said they probably won't have any of the new rib eyes that are going on offer either. Waste of time really

Saw a good selection in my local sv on Sunday. They'd none of the wine I wanted tho!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Has anyone managed to get the fillet steaks at 50% off in Supervalue. Was in Friday and they had none, same on Sunday and then same again today.
    Most supervalus have their own facebook page. I would be posting it for all to see, saying there were none and asking if they will be in.

If there are none its really a form of false advertising, maybe not illegal, I'm not sure, but shops should not be pulling stunts like this these days. Like the beer deals where were non existent in some supermarkets. People going to several ones trying to find them.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭getoffthepot

Got them early Saturday morning and got the cowboys too. They had plenty when I was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭carq

got the cowboy steaks. they were ****e.

for the size of them they were ver thin and of my 750 g for 2 steaks over 320 g was fat or bone.

Yeah had a look myself. No thanks.

Much better just asking the butcher to cut yours for you.

rubadub wrote: »
    Most supervalus have their own facebook page. I would be posting it for all to see, saying there were none and asking if they will be in.

If there are none its really a form of false advertising, maybe not illegal, I'm not sure, but shops should not be pulling stunts like this these days. Like the beer deals where were non existent in some supermarkets. People going to several ones trying to find them.

Yeah it felt like a stunt to me after three attempts to get them. My Supervalue isnt all that busy, it has never had a queue outside it at any point compared to Dunnes/Aldi who have them every day. So Im doubting that they sold out, I think they just never got them in the first place.

Yeah it felt like a stunt to me after three attempts to get them. My Supervalue isnt all that busy, it has never had a queue outside it at any point compared to Dunnes/Aldi who have them every day. So Im doubting that they sold out, I think they just never got them in the first place.

Name and shame, poor poor mgt there if that’s the case

Name and shame, poor poor mgt there if that’s the case

• Registered Users Posts: 27,887 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Supervalu have offers running on butcher counter steaks - this offer comes with an advisory that SV often seem to be either sold out or incapable of correctly keying the offer into their tills...
    • Fillet steak 25% off
    • Cowboy steak 33% off
    • T-Bone steak 33% off
    • Also, beef joints such as Round Roast, Housekeepers Cut, Eye of the Round 33% off
    • Offers running from Thursday 18th to Wednesday 24th.

See Page #2 of the Special Offers leaflet:
    https://supervalu.ie/offers-leaflet/009/mobile/index.html

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,116 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Lidl have the cowboy steaks today had one for lunch, never took the receipt but it was €20 for 3 with a bag or baby potatoes.

Advertisement