Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Dail / New Taoiseach

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Godot.

Next Irish General Election
    @NextIrishGE
    How 2020 Green Party voters voted in 2016.
    FG: 36%
    GRN: 27%
    FF: 8%
    Did not Vote: 8%
    LAB: 6%
    Do not Recall: 6%
    IND: 4%
    SF: 2%
    REN: 2%
    S-PBP: 1%
    SD: 1%

As per IPSOS MRBI Exit Poll.

Looks like they actually are FG on bikes :pac:

FF/FG/Greens could be surprisingly easy to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Godot. wrote: »
    Looks like they actually are FG on bikes :pac:

FF/FG/Greens could be surprisingly easy to do.
    To voters who just see numbers and are in an AB mood yes it is. Reality is always a whole lot more complicated. Heard over the last week or so some anecdotal stuff of angry middle-class forty-somethings who forced themselves to vote for one of the the traditional two to thwart the free houses for all they see coming down the track.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Field east

Umaro wrote: »
    Wasn't the First Dáil full of former terrorists?

Or is that different somehow?

Why did you go back to the 1920s’ only. Why not go much further back to some similar situation in , say, 1400s’, 1500s’ or more recently in the 1700s’.
    Jesus wept.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I see the Shinners are taking it to the streets (including the streets of Newry for some arcane reason), oh dear.

https://www.thejournal.ie/sinn-fein-rallies-for-govenrment-for-change-5018083-Feb2020/

Awful whiff of Norn Iron style mobilising here.

Why Newry? Why are SF rallying in another country

• Registered Users Posts: 67,028 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Why Newry? Why are SF rallying in another country

Ask a member of SF if they see Newry as 'another country'.

• Advertisement

And yet it's not in any Dail constituency. Seems a fairly dumb move.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

They signed up to it being so did they not?

They signed up to it being so did they not?

Where was that?

They certainly signed up to respecting the decision of a majority to see it as another country as long as that majority accepted their rights to see themselves as part of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

So why not Belfast?

Where was that?

They certainly signed up to respecting the decision of a majority to see it as another country as long as that majority accepted their rights to see themselves as part of Ireland.

That is the ideal that it is another country until a majority deem it otherwise?

• Advertisement

So why not Belfast?

Email them?

You are aware, I take it, of how life operates along the border? Sometimes it is logistically sensible to pick somewhere in the south or the north and to ignore the border. It may just be that the hotel is logistically sensible for the people to go to.

Happens here everyday of the week. Football clubs in the north will come here to use a hotel etc etc.

It's all the one country when you are in the GAA for instance.

That is the ideal that it is another country until a majority deem it otherwise?

Don't understand the question...go again?

Don't understand the question...go again?

No, you understand the question alright, just can't frame the answer yet. But you will indubitably.

No, you understand the question alright, just can't frame the answer yet. But you will indubitably.

I don't understand it actually. I presume it is to try and get me to say SF have sold out in some way?
    Carry on, if that is what you believe. I couldn't be arsed trying to persuade you otherwise.
    It is pitiful and sad that some need that affirmation.

I don't understand it actually. I presume it is to try and get me to say SF have sold out in some way?
    Carry on, if that is what you believe. I couldn't be arsed trying to persuade you otherwise.
    It is pitiful and sad that some need that affirmation.

Isn't it, I'm a pitiful sad man I am. Forever and ever sitting on boards traipsing out the same ould ****e.

Isn't it, I'm a pitiful sad man I am. Forever and ever sitting on boards traipsing out the same ould ****e.

QED Bishop. QED. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

Don't be so hard on yourself.

SF sit in parliament in Northern Ireland, they want a border referendun, they are even talking of a minister of state for Irish unity if the do get in to Govt.
    All this is to me acceptance by them politically that at the minute that Northern Ireland is another country.
    They have by agreeing to all of the above signed up to that line of thought.
    Fair play to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

SF sit in parliament in Northern Ireland, they want a border referendun, they are even talking of a minister of state for Irish unity if the do get in to Govt.
    All this is to me acceptance by them politically that at the minute that Northern Ireland is another country.
    They have by agreeing to all of the above signed up to that line of thought.
    Fair play to them.

With a nod and a wink from their handlers "dont f*ck with us we put you where you are", just remember how we handle child rapists and young criminals.
    Fu*k the free state. Pass me the "cocaine" gERRY S gOD.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

Will Ms. McDonald have her own security at the Rochestown Park Hotel tomorrow ? Will protestors be intimidated ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Scoondal wrote: »
    Will Ms. McDonald have her own security at the Rochestown Park Hotel tomorrow ? Will protestors be intimidated ?

Intimidated by whom?

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

Intimidated by whom?

By her security personnel.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

terenc wrote: »
    With a nod and a wink from their handlers "dont f*ck with us we put you where you are", just remember how we handle child rapists and young criminals.
    Fu*k the free state. Pass me the "cocaine" gERRY S gOD.
    Scoondal wrote: »

Mod note:

Serious posts only please

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Mod note:

You two guys can take 24 hours off. Please read the chater and make serious contributions only

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭kah22

Riddle me this. Suppose there was a referendum called on how TD’s were to be elected to the Dáil, how would you vote: Keep the present system OR A first pass the post system like they have in Great Britain ?

Kevin

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭IAmTheReign

What's the problem with 'former members' of the IRA taking part in democratic politics? Did you miss the whole GFA thing?

First of all the article you posted only said the IRA are committed to the political path, it doesn't say the IRA no longer exists meaning they're not really 'former members' at all.

Secondly there is nothing democratic about the people in charge of a former paramilitary organisation running a political party from the shadows. If 'former members' of the IRA military council want to take part in politics they should stand for election. That would be democratic.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭IAmTheReign

The 'difficult' questions nobody wants to address.

The north is 'different' will be the answer, because it suits. :D

The North IS different, as a SF supporter like yourself well knows. The GFA requires SF, as the largest republican party, to enter government or Stormont can't sit. Claiming it's anyway comparable to the Dail is dishonest.

kah22 wrote: »
    Riddle me this. Suppose there was a referendum called on how TD’s were to be elected to the Dáil, how would you vote: Keep the present system OR A first pass the post system like they have in Great Britain ?

Kevin
    It was tried twice, once in 1959 and again in about 1968. It failed both times and would never pass now.

The North IS different, as a SF supporter like yourself well knows. The GFA requires SF, as the largest republican party, to enter government or Stormont can't sit. Claiming it's anyway comparable to the Dail is dishonest.

I didn't claim it was the same as the Dáil. I was sending up FG and FF, pivoting when it suited them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

is_that_so wrote: »
    kah22 wrote: »

Kevin

It was tried twice, once in 1959 and again in about 1968. It failed both times and would never pass now.

It was not a change to FPTP but a change to single seat constituencies. The proposal was put by FF who thought that it would guarantee them a perpetual majority. It was rejected for precisely that reason.

There never was an attempt to go back to FPTP.

If we were to have a change, I would propose that the last action by the outgoing Dail would be to elect the Ceann Comhairle who would be the sole TD during the dissolution of the Dail. He/She would required to be non-party, and could not subsequently join a political party (just as the President is non-party). He/She would also not represent any constituency, as is the case with Senators. Obviously, (s)he would retire after the following dissolution of the Dail if (s)he is not re-elected.

Further, any act by a Minister during the dissolution and up to the formation of the new Gov would have a sunset effect, in that such acts would be required to be affirmed by the incoming Ministers, and by the Cabinet as a whole.

However, there are more important things to be achieved.

Advertisement