Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When's calving starting 2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭50HX

High bike wrote: »
    Spent the last 3 days trying to get a calf to suck; thank fcuk the penny finally dropped this evening he can’t get enough of it now

Kind of same story here

Lm bull last night, stomach tubed him as it was 3am and 2 sick kids at home

No way will she stand for him,can just about get her milked and bottle him

Probably still has a bit of sickness so hopefully it'll pass soon

She wasn't as bad last year but calf was a speckled park and some boyo to make out:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Just done my checking my wee blue girl was served to AA and she calved on 280 days. We were careful enough in may. Didn’t get up yet but I think she will. Two new calves since getting it very hard to suck despite one calving unassisted without any abuse. Space is getting very tight. All clear on tb test though so that’s something to cling on to

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Seanhorse91

Can’t take a good enough picture of this fella to do him justice. Born 2 nights ago. 65kg:rolleyes: 3rd calver lim and New Charolais stock bull. Thank god he’s lively!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Can’t take a good enough picture of this fella to do him justice. Born 2 nights ago. 65kg:rolleyes: 3rd calver lim and New Charolais stock bull. Thank god he’s lively!

If we could all have 20 like that!!!

Nout on home farm yet, though a heifer not due til first week of Feb (9 months from AI) is making a serious bag. Same happened last year & it was twins.....:pac:
    Though don't first calvers always go a bit early? She's incalf to CH.

Yon lad’s ready to bull cows she did great work to get him going. My nobbly kneed torturer took a good suck this evening with some help. Thank Christ she’s a lovely quiet cow God love her. Oul grizzly is calmed a bit but her calf didn’t straighten yet neither so he got a liter into him tonight that he might do a hands turn himself overnight. Eye in the sky job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Yon lad’s ready to bull cows she did great work to get him going. My nobbly kneed torturer took a good suck this evening with some help. Thank Christ she’s a lovely quiet cow God love her. Oul grizzly is calmed a bit but her calf didn’t straighten yet neither so he got a liter into him tonight that he might do a hands turn himself overnight. Eye in the sky job

Minerals pre calving?

Minerals pre calving?

Tick! And loads of them. I got going early on that this year. The earliest calves had no bother at all that way but for the wee twin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Tick! And loads of them. I got going early on that this year. The earliest calves had no bother at all that way but for the wee twin

Hardly lacking iodine?
    I gave all trace to cows going into shed & they’re lacking iodine now

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭sonnybill

First one !

• Advertisement

Hardly lacking iodine?
    I gave all trace to cows going into shed & they’re lacking iodine now

I don’t think so lad I need to check the bolus but I think they got it. Anyhow just caught the wee frigger sucking her on the camera so life is good again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Having a rotten run here this week. Lost 2 calves calving, another aborted and lost another with pneumonia this morning followed up by another section on a springer. Fit to give up :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,483 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Having a rotten run here this week. Lost 2 calves calving, another aborted and lost another with pneumonia this morning followed up by another section on a springer. Fit to give up :(

Ah you get runs like that lad. Keep her going

That’s terrible form. Keep the head up it’ll come good yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,843 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

That's a bad run. Had a cow with milk fever this evening and another calved in the cubicle shed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭valtra2

I fell you pain. I usually go through a wide range of emotions during calving. Some days I wonder why I bother but there is always light at the end of the tunnel, it's hard to swallow but it will pass and things will get better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Maybe it says more of myself.

But if you have any deceased relatives maybe just have a quiet humble word with them and explain how you're doing the best you can and have a word with the man himself. There's never any rhythm to these yokes. But they usually do happen in a heap together.
    I kind of believe in luck.

And sure if you're not religious you've still nothing to loose as you'll be talking to yourself and clearing the head. :pac:

These tillage farmers have it easy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,291 ✭✭✭tanko

That a tough run. Hopefully your luck will change.
    Were the two losses CH bull calves?

tanko wrote: »
    That a tough run. Hopefully your luck will change.
    Were the two losses CH bull calves?

No 2 lims.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭stanflt

Keep the chin up- last year we had an awful run- got crypto at the start of calving and ended up with viral pneumonia as these calves were really weak- lost around 40 calves tru out the year- really tough spring one day we had to inject 160 calves- anyways this year is totally different and it’s a joy to be rearing calves-lost 1 calf that was born alive out of 180 calvings so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Once your bad luck stays outside the door ,you can always recover from a bad run .Every farmer will get a sickening run at some stage so keep the chin up ,the snaps you have displayed on here of your cattle and surroundings have giving many a man a lift!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

cute geoge wrote: »
    Once your bad luck stays outside the door ,you can always recover from a bad run .Every farmer will get a sickening run at some stage so keep the chin up ,the snaps you have displayed on here of your cattle and surroundings have giving many a man a lift!!

+1 on the above, some days would drive you too distraction but I always think that once your alive then nothing is beyond resolution. Granted it's easy to get disheartened at the time and there have been days where no doubt I swore never again and I'm only a Micky mouse operater.

Keep the head up and don't let it get the better of you, hopefully better times are ahead and it will all soon be a distant memory.

This was the fella I had to section yesterday out of a springer. Fair lump, vet reckoned he's 80kg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

This was the fella I had to section yesterday out of a springer. Fair lump, vet reckoned he's 80kg.

Had they an easy winter on the mountain? 3 years ago, I lost 4 calves one after the other, I was nearly drove to distraction.....keep the head, take a few hours off if you can and remember down through the years all the ones you got when your luck was in....

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Had they an easy winter on the mountain? 3 years ago, I lost 4 calves one after the other, I was nearly drove to distraction.....keep the head, take a few hours off if you can and remember down through the years all the ones you got when your luck was in....

They had in fairness. I didn't give them any feeding at all yet and they are in great nick still.

That lad is a monster the height and the legs on him!!

That lad is a monster the height and the legs on him!!

To be honest the picture doesn't do him much justice. You'd have to be standing beside him to really appreciate how big he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭High bike

He's ready to be weaned ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,916 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

To be honest the picture doesn't do him much justice. You'd have to be standing beside him to really appreciate how big he is.

Did that come from teh bull's breeding? What breeding is in the cow?

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

Did that come from teh bull's breeding? What breeding is in the cow?

The bull is dancer x ferry. 3rd round of calves out of him and had no problems last 2 years. Springer was out of old ionesco stock bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Angus2018

5 calves here so far, 4 heifers and 1 bull. All easy calving Angus so calved in 30 mins from waterbag to on the ground and up on their feet in 20-30 mins and suckling under the hour.

There really is something to be said about smaller calves. Hay + licks all Winter with meal and silage 7 days before. They are seasoned old cows but we had no trouble last year with the heifers who were first run with the new Angus bull.

Quiet start. 2 years ago I had 3 breaches in one night so I'm overdue it.

• Advertisement

The bull is dancer x ferry. 3rd round of calves out of him and had no problems last 2 years. Springer was out of old ionesco stock bull.

Similar breeding to our own bull. Throws an odd big calf but usually easy enough and we use him on heifers

Angus2018 wrote: »
    5 calves here so far, 4 heifers and 1 bull. All easy calving Angus so calved in 30 mins from waterbag to on the ground and up on their feet in 20-30 mins and suckling under the hour.

There really is something to be said about smaller calves. Hay + licks all Winter with meal and silage 7 days before. They are seasoned old cows but we had no trouble last year with the heifers who were first run with the new Angus bull.

Quiet start. 2 years ago I had 3 breaches in one night so I'm overdue it.

Good to hear all that chap. Do you finish? I think that suits the easier calving lads

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Angus2018

Good to hear all that chap. Do you finish? I think that suits the easier calving lads

Yep, all finished on grass. Heifers at 18-20 months and bullocks at around 26-28 months.

Another one this morning. The new hereford bull's calves are due to start in 2 weeks. We had a monster before, calves were gigantic and had a very tough time with vet visits, breaches, jack and many not being able to even stand without a lot of help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Expected Progeny Performance for ZAG
    Calving Difficulty (%3 & 4) 3.4% 99% (Very High)
    Gestation length (days) 3.91% 99% (Very High)

Can someone explain "gestation length (days) 3.91% - does it mean increasing the 283 days by 1.0391, resulting in 11 days added on to the normal gestation of 283 days.

Expected Progeny Performance for ZAG
    Calving Difficulty (%3 & 4) 3.4% 99% (Very High)
    Gestation length (days) 3.91% 99% (Very High)

Can someone explain "gestation length (days) 3.91% - does it mean increasing the 283 days by 1.0391, resulting in 11 days added on to the normal gestation of 283 days.

Where are you seeing 3.91%? It's 3.91 days PTA on www.icbf.com .
    Also 290 days gestation for his offspring.

All this in the 'Gestation' tab under 'Replacement index'.

https://www.progressivegenetics.ie/Store/Detail/CASTLEVIEW-GAZELLE

Thanks for the reply Patsy.

What is PTA ?

I am getting anxious with heifers that are overdue.

https://www.progressivegenetics.ie/Store/Detail/CASTLEVIEW-GAZELLE

Thanks for the reply Patsy.

What is PTA ?

I am getting anxious with heifers that are overdue.

Ya, that's a mistake. There should be no % after the 3.91.
    290 days back from today would be 11 May 2019. Remember too, that you have to consider the cow's breeding. If she has limousin breeding, this will add a few days too.

SI 12 May, LM 18 May - I find that if they are carrying bull calves they can go over their time too. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

Number 14 landed yesterday evening. Gave a small pull but I'd say she would have calved on her own if I left her. Nice handy heifer calf. That's 14 now in 36 days, the bull did a good job in picking them up as soon as they were let out. Average number of days since last calving is 355 with the longest so far being 363 days.
    Have 6 left to go now. 2 or 3 should be soon enough but I'd say the last 3 will drag the ar*e out of it.
    Can't wait to get them out of the shed. Spending half my time checking calve backsides for scour but so far so good.

• Advertisement

Parishlad wrote: »
    Number 14 landed yesterday evening. Gave a small pull but I'd say she would have calved on her own if I left her. Nice handy heifer calf. That's 14 now in 36 days, the bull did a good job in picking them up as soon as they were let out. Average number of days since last calving is 355 with the longest so far being 363 days.
    Have 6 left to go now. 2 or 3 should be soon enough but I'd say the last 3 will drag the ar*e out of it.
    Can't wait to get them out of the shed. Spending half my time checking calve backsides for scour but so far so good.

Big yella girl calved herself yesterday evening. Calf up sucking within 30mins what a relief. I rushed home as da told me she was slow at making progress. Aggressive enough but I got the spray on his navel. Up to 12 now. 21 to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

Big yella girl calved herself yesterday evening. Calf up sucking within 30mins what a relief. I rushed home as da told me she was slow at making progress. Aggressive enough but I got the spray on his navel. Up to 12 now. 21 to go.

Good stuff. It's great when it goes according to plan. You have a fine number of cows to calve and I hope the last 21 will go just as well for you. You're lucky to have your Dad there to keep an eye on them when you are at work.
    I suppose a gentle reminder to all of us to be extra careful around cows that have calved. I had a close one with a big Ch cow last Saturday and only for I was quick enough on my feet she would have stuck me to the gate. Take no chances folks, no calf is worth a serious injury or worse!

Parishlad wrote: »
    Good stuff. It's great when it goes according to plan. You have a fine number of cows to calve and I hope the last 21 will go just as well for you. You're lucky to have your Dad there to keep an eye on them when you are at work.
    I suppose a gentle reminder to all of us to be extra careful around cows that have calved. I had a close one with a big Ch cow last Saturday and only for I was quick enough on my feet she would have stuck me to the gate. Take no chances folks, no calf is worth a serious injury or worse!

You're a gentleman thanks very much same for you with your ones that are left. They'll linger on and on until May I think but if the weather got better then some of them could be let out and we'd have a bit of space. Going to need to do something in the next week or so. Yea he's great but it's me helping him rather than the other way around.

As long as the reminder is gentle then we're right lad. This one didn't make a go for me or anything but I didn't hang about to see would she! The way I am I expect them all to be aggressive because it's the one you're not watching that'll catch you out.

One time I resorted to taping the lid of a coffee jar filled with iodine to a length of timber (beading), reached in while the calf was standing and gathered the navel cord into the lid. I only ever did it once, but it could be an idea worth developing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,843 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Often find while I would be very wary of the sucklers cows my dad would chance going on with them. You'd want eyes in the back of your head

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Donegalforever

whelan2 wrote: »
    Often find while I would be very wary of the sucklers cows my dad would chance going on with them. You'd want eyes in the back of your head

A couple of years ago I was attending to a new born calf, that was born outside, and I was almost attacked by a cow that was going absolutely mental.

The strange thing is that the cow was not the mother of the calf, but nevertheless she was going to protect it.

• Advertisement

One time I resorted to taping the lid of a coffee jar filled with iodine to a length of timber (beading), reached in while the calf was standing and gathered the navel cord into the lid. I only ever did it once, but it could be an idea worth developing.

Not the worst idea at all just that the calf might not stand for a while!

A couple of years ago I was attending to a new born calf, that was born outside, and I was almost attacked by a cow that was going absolutely mental.

The strange thing is that the cow was not the mother of the calf, but nevertheless she was going to protect it.

That’s nuts you were very lucky. You’d rarely have it that a cow would go for you and it not her calf. Worth remembering too.

Whealan yea my father is the same and I give out to him but he’s a bit more careful now. Not worth it whatever about working hard working dangerous is a definite no

Lost a calf calving today. Sick over it. The first cow to calve this year. Had a few just before Christmas.

Big roomy cow so not sure what happned. She was a long time calving and I handled her. Calf didn't seem that big and I thought then calf was still alive. Had to go away for an hour to collect a relative. Came back and saw on the camera she had the legs out. Got to shed and she had calved.
    Can't figure what went wrong. Maybe got caught up in the umbilical cord during the day and cow had trouble righting it when it died.
    Heifer calf, maybe 50kgs. She spat it out in the end.

I'm good to tell people these thing happen, but when it's yourself, it's a right sickner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,291 ✭✭✭tanko

That's unfortunate alrite. I know it's easy to say this with hindsight but if the cow was calving a long time when you handled her and not making any progress, if the cow was open and the calf was there to be jacked i think i would have pulled the calf then.
    Then again maybe the calf was dead at that stage, who knows.
    If i put a cow in a calving gate due to a lack of progress i'd nearly always jack the calf, i'd be worried she mightn't go into the gate a second time.

It's no consolation but these things happen to everyone at some stage.

tanko wrote: »
    That's unfortunate alrite. I know it's easy to say this with hindsight but if the cow was calving a long time when you handled her and not making any progress, if the cow was open and the calf was there to be jacked i think i would have pulled the calf then.
    Then again maybe the calf was dead at that stage, who knows.
    If i put a cow in a calving gate due to a lack of progress i'd nearly always jack the calf, i'd be worried she mightn't go into the gate a second time.

It's no consolation but these things happen to everyone at some stage.

I wanted to pull the calf at the time, but I had to collect a relative with special needs and she had to be collected. An hour earlier or later and I would have been fine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement