Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weekend 7/12 (Joshua v Ruiz II, Charlo v Hogan, Eubank v Korobov etc)

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

“We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.”

Some kids are genuinely in the gutter, maybe a similar gutter to their now-wealthy role models and aspire to emulating them. There's nothing to say that aspiration takes them down a positive route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,203 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

The ducking noises already being made from wildrers team when there is realistically no chance of the fight even happening any time soon. They would have big concerns about UKAD after the Whyte situation. Laying down the roadwork for an excuse not to fight in the future.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,463 ✭✭✭✭blade1

This heavyweight class is bit tiresome.
    At this stage I don't care which of the "three" wins.

I'd be more interested in seeing how would Ruiz cope with a haymaker from Wilder.
    If he was fitter and it didn't floor him, could he make a fight of it?
    Wilder doesn't have much more in his Arsenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭squinn2912

blade1 wrote: »
    This heavyweight class is bit tiresome.
    At this stage I don't care which of the "three" wins.

I'd be more interested in seeing how would Ruiz cope with a haymaker from Wilder.
    If he was fitter and it didn't floor him, could he make a fight of it?
    Wilder doesn't have much more in his Arsenal.

It's a fair arsenal all the same. He has a better jab than most give him credit for. He's quick on his feet too and the reach takes him away from opponents. I think a fit Ruiz might cause him one or two problems. The issue with Ruiz is that in a trade war he will do well against anyone. But the problem is that someone needs to be willing to stand. If Parker can beat him in a boxing match then lots more can.

squinn2912 wrote: »
    It's a fair arsenal all the same. He has a better jab than most give him credit for. He's quick on his feet too and the reach takes him away from opponents. I think a fit Ruiz might cause him one or two problems. The issue with Ruiz is that in a trade war he will do well against anyone. But the problem is that someone needs to be willing to stand. If Parker can beat him in a boxing match then lots more can.

Of course, Joshua beat him,Fury would beat him.
    I'm just thinking if he can take Wilders power he stands a better chance than he would against the other two... maybe :rolleyes:

I'm just thinking if he can take Wilders power he stands a better chance than he would against the other two... maybe :rolleyes:

Yea or if he could handle Fury's awkward style or Joshua's jab and run style. All big ifs if you come up short. Same result all 3 I think - lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,131 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Wilder managed to box the head off Stiverne for 12 rounds when he first won the WBC belt.

Stiverne back then was similar in size and style to fat Ruiz now. Their levels wouldn’t be all that different.

All big ifs

That's pretty much the whole boxing forum summed up in 3 words :pac:

I think my main curiosity with Ruiz/Wilder is how does he react to getting floored.

• Advertisement

That's pretty much the whole boxing forum summed up in 3 words :pac:

Yep. For what it’s worth I don’t think Ruiz or anyone else takes a flush shot from wilder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,620 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Yep. For what it’s worth I don’t think Ruiz or anyone else takes a flush shot from wilder

Mike Tyson would have!!!

But from today, you are probably right...

walshb wrote: »
    Mike Tyson would have!!!

But from today, you are probably right...

Haha here we go...

I don’t think he would.. but I don’t think wilder would get a flush one on mike

Haha here we go...

I don’t think he would.. but I don’t think wilder would get a flush one on mike

Well, when it too LL 8 rds of steady pasting before finally, a shell of a Tyson fell....

That 20 inc neck and squat physique........

Anyway, I brought Tyson up because Wilder and Tyson are always being talked about on social media.....as in who wins...

Well, when it too LL 8 rds of steady pasting before finally, a shell of a Tyson fell....

That 20 inc neck and squat physique........

Anyway, I brought Tyson up because Wilder and Tyson are always being talked about on social media.....as in who wins...

We’ve discussed LL vs Tyson. Neither peak at the time. He was bullied about but even the ko shot wasn’t massive. No huge hits like the Rachmann ko.

Those are the reasons I don’t think Tyson gets hit by wilder.

Did you find anyone who thought wilder wins that match up on social media? Tyson would demolish him.

We’ve discussed LL vs Tyson. Neither peak at the time. He was bullied about but even the ko shot wasn’t massive. No huge hits like the Rachmann ko.

Those are the reasons I don’t think Tyson gets hit by wilder.

Did you find anyone who thought wilder wins that match up on social media? Tyson would demolish him.

Well, Razor Ruddock, who was a huge hitter, caught Mike flush many times in their two fights in the early 1990s, and never budged him...

Next to no one picking Wilder.....he'd last all of 1 rd I reckon.....

I'd take Chuvalo, McCall, Tyson and Mercer as the HWs most likely to take a flush clean Wilder belter...

• Advertisement

Well, Razor Ruddock, who was a huge hitter, caught Mike flush many times in their two fights in the early 1990s, and never budged him...

Next to no one picking Wilder.....he'd last all of 1 rd I reckon.....

I'd take Chuvalo, McCall, Tyson and Mercer as the HWs most likely to take a flush clean Wilder belter...

Hmm for Ruddock I can’t get past the hammering LL gave him. I think he got hit after the bell (Lewis was very dirty) but that fight was only going one way. Did he KO anyone of note? I was a bit young then to know but glanced at his record there. 75% ko rate is impressive even if the standard of opponent wasn’t magnificent. The Lewis beat down destroyed him.

I think Tyson would fold him over with work to the body. Too fast and so good up close. But if wilder did tag him I think he’d stay down. That said mike had the heart of a lion.

I dunno who might take the power. I think Ali could avoid allowing him to land clean. Taking the power is another thing. Gary Cornish or David Love? 😂

Hmm for Ruddock I can’t get past the hammering LL gave him. I think he got hit after the bell (Lewis was very dirty) but that fight was only going one way. Did he KO anyone of note? I was a bit young then to know but glanced at his record there. 75% ko rate is impressive even if the standard of opponent wasn’t magnificent. The Lewis beat down destroyed him.

I think Tyson would fold him over with work to the body. Too fast and so good up close. But if wilder did tag him I think he’d stay down. That said mike had the heart of a lion.

I dunno who might take the power. I think Ali could avoid allowing him to land clean. Taking the power is another thing. Gary Cornish or David Love? ��

The ones I mentioned would take the power.

But, I suppose, anyone can be knocked out depending on the circumstance, and Wilder, albeit a very heavy hitter, is not some outlier.

The ones I mentioned would take the power.

But, I suppose, anyone can be knocked out depending on the circumstance, and Wilder, albeit a very heavy hitter, is not some outlier.

Well you think they would. You can make a case. The truth is that not many could. I'd suggest Holyfield is worth adding to the maybe list. Very durable man.

Ah yea. Tyson himself often said that it's the punch you're not expecting that does the damage in terms of KO. The Lewis one was when he himself was exhausted and could barely see, but he did dig in well that fight. I'd love to have seen Tyson get a grip of him in the late 80s. I think Tyson demolishes him. That version of Lewis wasn't as good as a bit later on imo and the late version not as good either just that everyone else of note was fading too and the new guys like the Klitchkos hadn't really properly emerged yet. When he saw that coming he got out of there.

Vitali might also take Wilder's power. I reckon he'd break him in two before it would come to that though.

That version of Lewis wasn't as good as a bit later on imo and the late version not as good either just that everyone else of note was fading too and the new guys like the Klitchkos hadn't really properly emerged yet. When he saw that coming he got out of there.

Vitali might also take Wilder's power. I reckon he'd break him in two before it would come to that though.

I don't think Vitali ever got any better after that Lewis scrap. he was plagued by injuries afterwards....That was his peak IMO.
    Wlad doesn't come into it, I don't think he was ever at the Lewis/Holyfield/Bowe/Tyson level.

I agree that Vitali is likely one of the guys that would take Wilder's power. Lewis hit him with some lovely flush uppercuts in their fight and he just stood there, barely dazed.

I don't think Vitali ever got any better after that Lewis scrap. he was plagued by injuries afterwards....That was his peak IMO.
    Wlad doesn't come into it, I don't think he was ever at the Lewis/Holyfield/Bowe/Tyson level.

I agree that Vitali is likely one of the guys that would take Wilder's power. Lewis hit him with some lovely flush uppercuts in their fight and he just stood there, barely dazed.

Injuries did slow him a bit but only Byrd profited from that. I think though he went 12 rounds with chisora was it? That shouldn't have happened with that version of chisora.

Wlad's achievements make him come into the reckoning. Lewis didn't fancy a rematch nor meeting Wlad. Vitali took a couple of butts as well in that fight.

• Advertisement

Lewis didn't fancy a rematch nor meeting Wlad. Vitali took a couple of butts as well in that fight.

Lewis was 38 though- he had every right to retire.
    He was only supposed to be fighting Kirk Johnson in a farewell fight after a year's layoff.
    Fair play to him for accepting Vitali at short notice, it was clear how dangerous Vitali was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Just landed in NY in time for the heavyweight clash but the bars that were showing it were full so a mad dash to Tonic near Times Square worked out. Thought Joshua did the sensible thing by staying out of trouble against an opponent who was too immobile due to his weight. The fact that this match took place at all speaks volumes for Joshua as no way would Fury or Wilder have lost to Ruiz.

Anyway off to Barclays and for $49 got in during the Iwata bout. Surrounded by scousers I was saved when a steward came up and offered free tickets down near the floor! TJ Doheny had dethroned Iwata last year and from what I saw he deserved to beat the Filipino here. One marked difference in being so near is the sound of leather and these 2 could bang.

Afterward spotted Eubank with his badge!

img-1646.jpg

Disgraceful prices for scoops:

img-1649.jpg

Korobov v Eubank was one I was really looking forward to as they seemed to be so evenly matched. The very experienced Russian against the young pretender and when they came out they were the exact same size. Of note was when Eubank stood on the apron and looked at the crowd he was completely ignored!

No doubting Korobov won the first round with repeated damaging lefts and I was interested to see junior's response and if the Russian would gas later on but when he threw a left he seemed to do some damage and was clearly in pain and it was off. This was bizarre and something I hadn't witnessed before and for the small crowd hugely disappointing. Mirroring his father for outlandish statements junior maintained this was down to karma. I hope there's a rematch and Korobov puts him in his place. Much like Chavez junior he's a chancer.

img-1652.jpg

Main event and no doubting who the crowd were up for. Comments like "white boy getting put out" were all around me! First time seeing either fighter and of course one was struck at the physical difference. Cant blame Hogan for taking this chance though.

img-1653.jpg

img-1656.jpg

This was always going to be a tough ask and the first round was a nothing affair. The second produced more action as Hogan landed some lefts and Charlo with body shots. But it was all over early in the fourth when a great left uppercut made Hogan go head over heels much to the merriment of the crowd. He did well to survive the round and took some heavy blows in the fifth. I briefly thought he may survive all 12 but in the seventh another left really nailed the brave challenger and while I initially thought the ref called it prematurely you couldn't really complain as the crowd went nuts.

Hogan is just not a middleweight but the chance to fight for a world title was not something he could afford to turn down. Charlo had that experience, length and jab and all of this meant only one result.

img-1658.jpg

img-1659.jpg

img-1660.jpg

img-1662.jpg

img-1663.jpg

img-1667.jpg

All in all a bit of a deflating evening despite the good seats. I've a feeling tonight will be better!

Advertisement