Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meta Quest

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭circular flexing

People commenting about Facebook account, could you not just create a fake facebook account?

Facebook has been known to ban fake accounts. Presumably if you lose access to Facebook, you also lose access to Oculus and any games you may have purchased. And there’s no way to independently appeal any bans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

It was mainly the collecting dust part that made me part ways, definitely didn't wanna creat a Facebook account either had only got.off that addiction 2 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭kerplun k

I,100% will not be giving my name to Facebook. I wouldn’t be opposed to setting up a profile and using it as a gamer tag. But would this be considered a fake account? Hope FB can clarify this tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,631 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

kerplun k wrote: »
    I,100% will not be giving my name to Facebook. I wouldn’t be opposed to setting up a profile and using it as a gamer tag. But would this be considered a fake account? Hope FB can clarify this tomorrow.

I'm considering setting up an account for my business name, but no way I'm going to use my real name anywhere on the web, I don't even have a LinkedIn ;)

Only a select few know my business name so I'm not bothered about that being public.

tin foil hats are sold out in my area!

mrcheez wrote: »
    I'm considering setting up an account for my business name, but no way I'm going to use my real name anywhere on the web, I don't even have a LinkedIn ;)

Only a select few know my business name so I'm not bothered about that being public.

tin foil hats are sold out in my area!

Ah yeah, it’s beside the point though. Signing up for a store should be for registration purposes only,

You shouldn’t force people to disclose personal information just to use a product.

I know Facebook have privacy settings, but still IIRC, they are not that straightforward, and also, Facebook has such a wide community, I don’t want me personal details being bundled up with with such a large community, and also, if I want to be social in VR, I should still have the right to remain anonymous.

These are just some of the issues they need to address before I’d even think about purchasing a next gen headset from them,

• Advertisement

Vid's out... the vocal fry makes this almost unwatchable but it looks interesting... I think I'm still happy with my existing Quest for now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Any tl;dw, trying to find a nice handy bulletpoint summary of the changes? :)

Jackpot to whoever sold for 400 quid above :p

'' found this on reddit -
    Wow that is a leak and a half. A summary for people that can’t see it for some reason:
    1. New Snapdragon XR2 Processor, and 6GB ram in the headset.
    2. New ergonomic controller design and more comfortable fabric straps.
    3. IT’S WHITE
    4. All Quest 1 Games Work on it
    5. Storage now goes up to 256gb
    2k res per eye?

Takes VR pr0n to a whole new level... just that Facebook are now watching you fap*

* or at least they always did, but now they link it to your real-life profile

It looks fantastic. If they get the comfort right, I’d be very tempted.

It looks fantastic. If they get the comfort right, I’d be very tempted.

It does have that "Apple"-y look about it.

Good call on going with white I think. The price is also rumoured to be around $299 for the base model so that will either be €299 or €249 for us (probably the first), which is also a good idea for wider adoption.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

It does have that "Apple"-y look about it.

Good call on going with white I think. The price is also rumoured to be around $299 for the base model so that will either be €299 or €249 for us (probably the first), which is also a good idea for wider adoption.

$299 after tax?? I'd assume that was before and we'd see it at 350/400 here?

ShooterSF wrote: »
    $299 after tax?? I'd assume that was before and we'd see it at 350/400 here?

yeah apparently they're going to sell it at a loss...

But obviously if loads of people take it up they'll rake in the profits from everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

I predicted the Specs of the new Quest over on Reddit last night. Official 'Leak' about 5 hours later. Coincidence? :D:D

For those considering creating fake Facebook accounts, FB have confirmed you'll lose your games if you do this

https://www.roadtovr.com/fake-facebook-account-oculus-headset-community-standards/

Arrr matey I here the pirates be on the horizon!

I've decided what I'm going to do....

I'll grab one of these Quest 2 devices, *BUT* I'll register it with my fake Facebook account rather than linking to my Oculus account.

Of course this means that I won't get access to my Quest library but my primary usage of the Quest 2 would be for Virtual Desktop, which might be the only app I'll re-buy under that account since my main usage will just be for it as a VD headset.

Later I can look at possibly blocking Facebook polling via the router to prevent them locking me out, unless of course the headset requires a constant online connection in which case I can just risk losing the single app if they close my account.

The 2nd alternative is that I just disable wifi on the headset after setting it up with a fake account and use it purely as a Link-only headset.

F**k it. I’ve decided I’m getting this. I’ll use a pseudo name. If they ban me, they ban.

F**k it. I’ve decided I’m getting this. I’ll use a pseudo name. If they ban me, they ban.

Yep just be careful you don't spend too much on the Oculus Store

Yep just be careful you don't spend too much on the Oculus Store

Yeah. I won’t. But if Facebook continues with this carry on I think people are going to hack the f**k out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

They really don't like the Rift based on this Oculus connect business.

Can't I can't believe it's €100 cheaper than the fecking quest I bought in March.

AGHDFLKGN

Price is €349 / €449

We're getting shafted pretty badly as even $299 with sales tax is only around €270 ?

Pre-orders now up: https://www.oculus.com/quest-2/

• Advertisement

Interesting, I see in the T&Cs that it says "Requires wireless internet access".

Wonder does this mean it only functions when connected to the Internet, thus ruling out possibility of setting up with a fake account and then disabling wifi?

526548.PNG

The big thing for me is comfort. By the sounds of that review, not much has changed. I’ll wait for some user feedback before picking one up.

Question for anyone on Facebook. I’ve never joined so I don’t know.

If I set up a gmail account with a fake name, and then set a Facebook account with same name. How do Facebook know my account is using a fake name?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Question for anyone on Facebook. I’ve never joined so I don’t know.

If I set up a gmail account with a fake name, and then set a Facebook account with same name. How do Facebook know my account is using a fake name?

They don't.

But they may ask for proof of ID at a later date

They don't.

But they may ask for proof of ID at a later date

Yeah seems like the guy who did the Ars Technica review tried to use a burner account and got locked out when they asked for ID.

Anyone else just get a random €8 credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Yep, just for being magnificent, I suppose :-)

Anyone else just get a random €8 credit.

No :(

• Advertisement

Okay, so this is what I've done.
    I set up an facebook account using my real name but with some tweaks,
    First name uses a common knickname derived from my real name, which I've never gone by.
    Second name is now double barreled, and spaced differently.
    Profile photo is me at a comic con dressed as rorschach
    Email is my old student email which uses an ID rather than name.
    So its me, but anonymised. If FB come looking for ID, I'm golden.

Advertisement