Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The National - Donnybrook Stadium - 15th & 16th June 2018

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

dinneenp wrote: »
    Special guests me arse!

And there was me getting my hopes up.....

Yeah I'd say you're not alone there!

But, that said, most of the acts I'd have expected have been announced for separate shows here, like the War on Drugs, Grizzly Bear, etc.

Rostam and Jay Som are good bookings for sure for acts who will likely open the show or play early in the day. Lisa H and Villagers have their fans too, I just wouldn't really be among them!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,776 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yeah, think those special guests have definitely changed my decision to go see them in Victoria Park next June instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Wooderson

First support acts announced for both days.

Friday, June 15: Lisa Hannigan, Jay Som + More to be announced

Saturday, June 16: Villagers, Aldous Harding, Rostam + More to be announced

Rostam and Jay Som both put out great albums this year so they're solid bookings. Lisa Hannigan may as well be in the band at this stage, she performs with them so often - I'm not a fan at all - and Villagers is usually decent live but it's been a while since he's released anything so would be curious to see what that is like!

Not familiar with Aldous Harding.

That’s an early Christmas turkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

I guess you can take Lisa Hannigan off that list and she was guaranteed to be there and chime in on a few songs as with every National gig in Ireland.

Of the others, Villagers are the only one I'm familiar with and they're decent. Having youtube'd the other special guests I'll just say that they are not for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Special guests me arse!

And there was me getting my hopes up.....

You should know what to expect in this country at this stage.
    Promoters will never add good support ,its all about making as much money as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

Jay Som is fantastic. I'm so happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Lisa Hannigan, what a surprise. No doubt she'll contribute guest vocals on a few songs of The National where she will bring nothing to the party

Jay Som and Aldous Harding are decent

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

First support acts announced for both days.

Friday, June 15: Lisa Hannigan, Jay Som + More to be announced

Saturday, June 16: Villagers, Aldous Harding, Rostam + More to be announced

Rostam and Jay Som both put out great albums this year so they're solid bookings. Lisa Hannigan may as well be in the band at this stage, she performs with them so often - I'm not a fan at all - and Villagers is usually decent live but it's been a while since he's released anything so would be curious to see what that is like!

Not familiar with Aldous Harding.

haven't listened to her album yet, but noticed it high up on lots of end-of-year lists recently.
    it was Rough Trade's album of 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,108 ✭✭✭dinneenp

had a listen to Jay Som today, like Rush https://open.spotify.com/track/6ysK6T8Gvtx1f7VBzaTSxA

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭ngunners

Lisa Hannigan, what a surprise. No doubt she'll contribute guest vocals on a few songs of The National where she will bring nothing to the party

I thought her contribution to sleep well beast was brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Was torn on selling my ticket to go see War on Drugs instead... Not sure if I will find a buyer but will take a loss on it at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭sheroman01

I thought special guests were meant to be special :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

WTF is with ticketmaster? Gives me an option to buy tickets but then says "sorry, another fan beat you to these tickets".

Infuriating.

edit: Got them through the app instead.

sheroman01 wrote: »
    I thought special guests were meant to be special :/

Sure, didn't our mums tell us we're all special?

some more announced for their day at APE festival, hopefully we get a few:

FB_IMG_1516867505332.jpg.9d652e7d99851c22eab4c56536c96273.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 43,776 ✭✭✭✭Basq

^ Yeah, holding off picking up tickets for that til payday but Public Service Broadcasting and Broken Social Scene? Really is getting better and better!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,651 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Would be great if we did but TWOD playing Forbidden Fruit day after APE. Future Islands have their own gig day after National here. Not sure about the rest but don't think any of the higher profile ones will be added.. Maybe This is The Kit will be.

I've tickets for Saturday of National here but very tempted to get cheap flights to London for that. Tickets are £60 which seems reasonable, if you wanted to see The National, TWOD and Future Islands here you'd have to get to 3 separate gigs..

Eod100 wrote: »
    Would be great if we did but TWOD playing Forbidden Fruit day after APE. Future Islands have their own gig day after National here. Not sure about the rest but don't think any of the higher profile ones will be added.. Maybe This is The Kit will be.

I've tickets for Saturday of National here but very tempted to get cheap flights to London for that. Tickets are £60 which seems reasonable, if you wanted to see The National, TWOD and Future Islands here you'd have to get to 3 separate gigs..

You're forgetting that the Aiken website now says 'VERY special guest' for Friday, not just Speical guest. Has to be U2, Daft Punk, My Bloody Valentine, Cocteau Twins or similar. Otherwise they're selling false hype!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

You're forgetting that the Aiken website now says 'VERY special guest' for Friday, not just Speical guest. Has to be U2, Daft Punk, My Bloody Valentine, Cocteau Twins or similar. Otherwise they're selling false hype!
    lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Having argued with others earlier about having patience with the line-up for this, Ive given up myself and bit the bullet on buying tickets for APE instead!

I have a weekend ticket for donnybrook that I’m going to sell for a knock down price as this doesn’t seem to be selling well.

• Advertisement

Easy Rod wrote: »
    Having argued with others earlier about having patience with the line-up for this, Ive given up myself and bit the bullet on buying tickets for APE instead!

I have a weekend ticket for donnybrook that I’m going to sell for a knock down price as this doesn’t seem to be selling well.

They're headlining Primevera too. Pity that to see The National, TWOD and Future Islands here, you'd have go to 3 separate gigs. Maybe it's a population thing but can't see Victoria Park holding more than 25k. Guess it would need to be Electric Picnic to have an outdoor capacity if that.

Heh. Yeah with gates opening at 2 and tickets at 76e , would expect at least couple more. How high profile they will be is another question.
    Would hope they'd put on a longer set than their Longitude 2016 one. Not sure do they suit the festival/outdoor gigs but guess it makes sense when they're able to get to Primevera, London one weekend and 2 nights in Dublin couple of weeks later.

they're doing a similar 2-day thing in Cincinnati in April, and seems like they're doing Boxer in full at least one of the days.
    I can imagine this will be something similar, a full album, plus about 10-15 more tracks.

they're doing a similar 2-day thing in Cincinnati in April, and seems like they're doing Boxer in full at least one of the days.
    I can imagine this will be something similar, a full album, plus about 10-15 more tracks.

Well f*ck it anyway. I had convinced myself I didn't need to go to this as I'm already seeing them on this album in May but if they're doing Boxer, I'll have to. By far my favourite album - not just National album!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

That would be great and makes sense for people who got the weekend ticket.

Is that the homecoming gig? Might be a bit different here but would be great if it was that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I hope it's not a gig where they play the full album and then other tunes. I've been to a few of those type gigs, and I find it just takes away from the excitement of not knowing what will happen. It becomes a bit too predictable. And The National, like every other band will inevitably have a few songs on a particular album that could be regarded as “fillers”. Those songs are taking up the time where instead more of the better tunes from other albums could be played. Anyway, that would be my own personal choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

I hope it's not a gig where they play the full album and then other tunes. I've been to a few of those type gigs, and I find it just takes away from the excitement of not knowing what will happen. It becomes a bit too predictable. And The National, like every other band will inevitably have a few songs on a particular album that could be regarded as “fillers”. Those songs are taking up the time where instead more of the better tunes from other albums could be played. Anyway, that would be my own personal choice.

Zero filler on Boxer! :)

Zero filler on Boxer! :)

Yep - Boxer is perfect from start to finish. :cool:

Can understand the sentiment, though, especially for outdoor shows that will draw big crowds and weren't advertised as album-specific.

If they did a run in, say, the Olympia, playing a specific album (or different ones per night like Bell X1 have planned) you could understand the appeal but, no doubt, there'd be some people a little confused by a 45 minute or so segment of a gig totally devoted to an older album.

Not that I'd be bothered. As I said, I'd be more likely to buy a ticket if it's a Boxer-only gig!! :D

• Advertisement

It's 4 months away now, presume EXTRA SPECIAL SUPPORT for the Friday isn't announced yet as they don't have the artist lined up yet?

Advertisement