Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The SF vote was part of a class war against Middle Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

s
    RWCNT wrote: »
    Do Irish universities do background checks on their students? Never heard of that before.

Depending on the nature of the conviction petty crimes such as shoplifting or being caught with soft drugs may not even end up on your record.

My job is closely connected to the medical profession and in the UK at least you'll be fine getting registration even if you got up to some some nasty stuff when you were young. Google "Lavinia Woodward".

Any one coming in to contact with children would have to have to have Garda clearnce medical students come in to contact with children. In the UK you have to have enhanced disclosure https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disclosure_and_Barring_Service

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

growleaves wrote: »
    Okay I'm now convinved that you work for Sinn Fein.

You were hired to pose as a supporter of FF/FG and to discredit them by exhibiting cartoonish levels of arrogance and complacency.

I think you may be right because it cant be for real surely, can it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

mariaalice wrote: »
    s

Any one coming in to contact with children would have to have to have Garda clearnce medical students come in to contact with children. In the UK you have to have enhanced disclosure https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disclosure_and_Barring_Service

Didn't know that, my job doesn't really deal with medical students until they're in the process of finishing their degree.

We deal with plenty of medical students who have had minor convictions as teenagers prior to getting into University though, and it hasn't prevented them from graduating and becoming doctors, so my point still stands.

Didn't know that, my job doesn't really deal with medical students until they're in the process of finishing their degree.

We deal with plenty of medical students who have had minor convictions as teenagers prior to getting into University though, and it hasn't prevented them from graduating and becoming doctors, so my point still stands.

The posters story sounds very unlikely I dont think drugs and petty crime counts as minor convictions, how are you aware of the minor convictions they has as teenagers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭thomasdylan

Lavinia Woodward dropped out. I would be very suprised if either the GMC or the university's medical school would have allowed her to graduate or practice as a doctor. She dropped out before Oxford's disciplinary procedures began.

• Advertisement

The posters story sounds very unlikely I dont think drugs and petty crime counts as minor convictions, how are you aware of the minor convictions they has as teenagers?

A lot of the time they are - getting caught with some weed, shoplifting, certain public order offences are often met with a caution or a fixed penalty notice where you pay a small fine which isn't even seen as an admission of guilt. I had to do an advanced CRB (the old version of a DBS) to get a job washing dishes in the airport when I was in University and a fixed penalty notice I was served the previous year didn't even show up on it.

I'm aware of their minor convictions as they called the organisation I work for to ask if they would impede them from registration and working as a doctor. Many had no problem.

https://www.sgul.ac.uk/study/offer-holders/dbs-requirements

St George's of London makes it pretty clear in the above link that it's not a brick wall of any sort, although a statement must be made and the application will then be under consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭micky jammy delahunty

Lavinia Woodward dropped out. I would be very suprised if either the GMC or the university's medical school would have allowed her to graduate or practice as a doctor. She dropped out before Oxford's disciplinary procedures began.

Yes....because the case got so much media attention. All kinds of people were working to keep her in. Without the media storm, she would have qualified, and been living in a nice big house by now....She probably is living in a nice big house, because the way these people work, and sort their own kind out.

Remember how they landed Anglo banker Peter Fitzgerald, as the CEO of the Irish Association of Alcohol and Addiction. Nice wages, and state funded pinshen pot, and a completely worthless institution because it employs know-nothing dregs like Fitzgerald...These people are hilarious...If they kill someone drink driving, they get set up with a job working for Trocaire, to regain their good name through penance. RTE had a building on campus, where they shoved the shower who couldn't turn up to work without being drunk, where they could drink all day.

Bad example, mea culpa. I didn't follow the case after she finished up with the courts. Upon googling it seems that she dropped out but would have the option of applying to rejoin her degree when it would then be at the discretion of the university to decide if she could, its likely she decided to suspend her studies to stop them from deciding this so soon after the case was fresh in the media. You're probably right about what the outcome would be though, or at least I'd hope.

Every kind of snobbery including reverse snobbery coming out on threads the past few days, cranky predigest against the middle class, the wealthy, the working class, welfare recipients. its mostly hilarious but some quite nasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,910 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Granny15 wrote: »
    So let me guess of the 2M odd that voted roughly about 700,000 of them a re welfare leeches? Doesn't add up. Obviously there is a sizable middle class contingent that voted SF. Are they all welfare cheats? No - they are honest hard working people who don't believe the guff you are coming out with. Come back when you are in line with reality and stop posting your hatred of SF online because you are some toff who can't relate to the average person.
    Such a load of ignorant waffle, you really should be embarrassed by actually putting such nonsense into words and posting it here.
    Yurt! wrote: »
    Eric Cartman, are you having a giraffe? Contempt and hatred is running through your veins for the working class. It's dripping off your posts.

And then you're sobbing to yourself that you're being persecuted because a party that you don't believe suits your narrow interests are in ascendancy.

Childish in the extreme.

You're wasting your time. People like that can't hear you and even if they could, they don't care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,054 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Hmmm. ... seems it’s fine for the Shinners and the Alphabets et al to pillory ‘FFG’ as they called it for the last five years, to heap abuse on those who were seen as supporting them in waves, on social media.

Then when someone bites back, odium is heaped on them also in waves.

Let’s stand back and have a fair look at stuff like this and if your ‘side’ slings the barbs then you can reasonably expect some back.

No use in going all po-faced and bridling up when this happens.

Cop on lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I am wondering how someone with drug and petty crime convictions got Garda vetting to do a medical degree? Pulling string won't get past Garda vetting.

We do not have classes in Ireland in the sense of the UK, there is an amount of petty snobbery which is a different thing and even that is changing, modern Ireland is reasonably egalitarian.

TBF, when I was looking for a Garda clearance for something I waited six months. The local desk Sargent told me the problem was they had no record f me. If I'd even had a parking ticket or something the process would have been much quicker. So we discussed how silly that was and he put in a call and sorted it for me.

Whatever about the anecdotes, there certainly is a class system in Ireland. Different types of people grow up in very different circumstances and many don't seem to have the capability of seeing the way things are for others.
    The worst demographic by far are the working class people who look down on the kind of community their own family sprung from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Every kind of snobbery including reverse snobbery coming out on threads the past few days, cranky predigest against the middle class, the wealthy, the working class, welfare recipients. its mostly hilarious but some quite nasty.

Funny thing is it was an election that kicked much of this off. People need to stop insulting the general public because their team didn't fare well. Them's the breaks. Could all be different next time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

Down is where the problem comes from, if you have a leaking water tank you plug the holes in the tank , not turn up the flow into it.

There is bo political apetite or selfish viting from the irish public to actually harm the working class, there is lots of vindictive political will to harm the middle class and high earners. The vote for SF represents a vindictive hatred of the professional class and the wealthy by the working class in Ireland. The working class who actually work would do well to realise that their enemy is welfare leeches, disability scammers, fake carers and those begging for free houses and more handouts, its not the dublin 4 set ruining their lives, its the darndale set.

We live in a centre left country where the lower income brackets are more generously looked after than most, we force our middle income workers to oay exorbitant amounts for housing nowhere near cities, commuting on inadequate road and public transport routes and exorbatant childcare costs, the fault of all of that lies squarely with pressure from parties advocating for free housing for those who contribute nothing, the childcare cost crisis squarely with the poor using compo claims as a lottery because its awards cant go against means testing,

95% of problems in irish society come from the unemployed and those earning too little to be in the tax net, and now they have voted en masse for a party with a class war agenda against those who do contribute and keep our society going. Ofcourse im going to despise them, instead of accepting their lot, bettering themselves or being realistic they voted to empty my wallet to take by force what the rest of us have worked to earn.

I respect anyone who works, doing any job and trying to provide for themselves. I do not respect anyone who votes pbp/SF to try take the easy route though.

98% of your posts are complaining about doleites wasters and leechers bleedin the state and now you have FG stealing Sinn Feins policy to help out every worker in the state who has lost their job.

That’s really gotta be boiling your piss.

I hope it is.

Nice to see the sanctimonious gormless arseholes like yourself have the tables tuned on them once in a while. .

Runaways wrote: »
    98% of your posts are complaining about doleites wasters and leechers bleedin the state and now you have FG stealing Sinn Feins policy to help out every worker in the state who has lost their job.

I hope it is.

Nice to see the sanctimonious gormless arseholes like yourself have the tables tuned on them once in a while. .

So SF actually organised and put together everything? Did not know that.

Spent countless hours long into the night putting the whole package together, getting the agreements,redeploying staff and resources and much more?

Is that really true, do give us a bit of a rundown, my friend.

So SF actually organised and put together everything? Did not know that.

Spent countless hours long into the night putting the whole package together, getting the agreements,redeploying staff and resources and much more?

Is that really true, do give us a bit of a rundown, my friend.

Think you’ll find that’s exactly what Fg did. Regina was just on the radio earlier on drive time saying that’s exactly what they did just the other night

Couldn’t be seen to be openly stealing Sinn Feins homework though. Oh no.

It was their own idea. Of course it was.

Jaysis

Think you’ll find that’s exactly what Fg did. Regina was just on the radio earlier on drive time saying that’s exactly what they did just the other night

Couldn’t be seen to be openly stealing Sinn Feins homework though. Oh no.

It was their own idea. Of course it was.

Jaysis

He heh. Wardy 16 did it all !!

Yeh.....right:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Just reading back on some of this thread - one silver lining of Coronavirus is that this type of political ****fighting has ground to a halt.

Turgid stuff we were all involved in:pac:

Just reading back on some of this thread - one silver lining of Coronavirus is that this type of political ****fighting has ground to a halt.

Turgid stuff we were all involved in:pac:

Well the thread title alone tells you all you need to know though.

Leo: were all in this together.

Also Leo : except you Sinn Finn and everyone who voted for you even though you got most votes in the country.

Petty. But let’s see where we all are in a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Well the thread title alone tells you all you need to know though.

Leo: were all in this together.

Also Leo : except you Sinn Finn and everyone who voted for you even though you got most votes in the country.

Petty. But let’s see where we all are in a few months.

Would you like to see SF as part of a Government? In with the Blueshirts and whatever the fück FF are these days?

• Advertisement

Would you like to see SF as part of a Government? In with the Blueshirts and whatever the fück FF are these days?

I’d let Michael Healy Rae zig and zag and mad Mary on o Connell Street run this country if it dampened the entitled smug somehow right to rule neverending bullshvt I hear from the same quarters online and in life.

I’d let Michael Healy Rae zig and zag and mad Mary on o Connell Street run this country if it dampened the entitled smug somehow right to rule neverending bullshvt I hear from the same quarters online and in life.

That didn’t answer the question in fairness. Would you like to see SF form part of a national government in the Republic of Ireland?

I’d be grand with it btw.

That didn’t answer the question in fairness. Would you like to see SF form part of a national government in the Republic of Ireland?

I’d be grand with it btw.

You couldn’t understand that answer?

Fine Gael truly are employing the bots it seems. And from overseas.

They were three easily understood Irish references that need no explanation

The answers right. There.

You couldn’t understand that answer?

Fine Gael truly are employing the bots it seems. And from overseas.

They were three easily understood Irish references that need no explanation

The answers right. There.

The question was pretty much a Yes/No in fairness.

Would you like to see SF form part of a National Government?

The question was pretty much a Yes/No in fairness.

Would you like to see SF form part of a National Government?

Answered twice above.

Still doesn’t get it.

Answered twice above.

Still doesn’t get it.

I didn’t get it.

Yes or No. SF in a National Government in the Republic?

I’m not looking for a checkmate btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I hope it is.

The pubs are closed, tanning bed shops closed, ryanair flights grounded, borders closed, bookies closed and even online nothing to gamble on, drug dealers are finding it harder to operate. If anything this is the welfare state i wanted where those in the take take take group cant squander our money.

I support helping those who are impacted by this crisis, this is what a functional welfare state is for, those who actually need it.

But don’t worry, when the dust settles and the government as regukar as clockwork bring in a new tax on middle and upper earners to oay back this debt, ill be out of here, not sticking around to play USC mk2 boogaloo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

The pubs are closed, tanning bed shops closed, ryanair flights grounded, borders closed, bookies closed and even online nothing to gamble on, drug dealers are finding it harder to operate. If anything this is the welfare state i wanted where those in the take take take group cant squander our money.

I support helping those who are impacted by this crisis, this is what a functional welfare state is for, those who actually need it.

But don’t worry, when the dust settles and the government as regukar as clockwork bring in a new tax on middle and upper earners to oay back this debt, ill be out of here, not sticking around to play USC mk2 boogaloo.
    You are exactly the type of person Ireland does not need when the country needs good people to fight for the country and make sacrifices to get us out of the mess when all this subsides.

Good riddance,take all your selfish mates with you and hopefully the door hits you all a good wallop on the way out.

PS;Dont come back when the going gets easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Very interesting article in the Times about where SF transfers went:

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/sinn-f%C3%A9in-supporters-not-interested-in-a-left-alliance-or-coalition-with-fianna-f%C3%A1il-1.4196665

What this shows above all else is that the SF vote was largely a strike against Middle Class Ireland. In Dublin, almost half of SF transfers went to PBP/Socialist party. Another 23 percent went to left leaning independents. Only 5 percent of SF transfers went to Labour and only 12 percent to SocDems, who presumably the Shinners see as more middle class.

The correct way to view this election is through a class war lens. Not through a policy lens of housing and health. Particularly in Dublin. If it was about housing and health, then Labour and SocDems would be getting way more SF transfers.

SF won 80% of the vote in Darndale. Now this is an area that is almost 100% social or taxpayer supported in some way. Few voters are renting on the open market there. So don't try to convince me they care about rent. Their SF vote was not about policy. If getting a free house for their kids was all important, they would be transferring more to Labour and SocDems.

Hope the semi-intelligent voters who thought they'd punt on SF know they're in the company of the parents of those lovely feral street kids burning cars in Darndale.

WHAT DO WE WANT ? A FREE HOUSE
    WHERE DO WE WANT IT? NEAR ME MA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

tipptom wrote: »
    You are exactly the type of person Ireland does not need when the country needs good people to fight for the country and make sacrifices to get us out of the mess when all this subsides.

Good riddance,take all your selfish mates with you and hopefully the door hits you all a good wallop on the way out.

PS;Dont come back when the going gets easier.

Im always impressed how people can get so mad at people who work incredibly hard and contribute to society and who have logged the tax cash to pay for this emergency situation in favour of defending those who only detract and are not helping financially or with their time now or after this is over.

Ive only ever had a go at detractors and wanted a wider tax base, how you can be angry at that and not lowlifes scamming the welfare is beyond me.

Times wont get easier for the taxpayer, were importing more detractors, every successive government spends more and theres never tax cuts.

Advertisement