Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC Fight Night Events Thread - Spoilers Within

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

I guess faking being tired, rope-a-dope, is too risky now !!!

This is some great action..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Wow! What a KO!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Is cejudo still champ ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

US2 wrote: »
    Is cejudo still champ ?

He always was and still is. This was just an interim sweetener, whilst he's having fun at bantam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

He always was and still is. This was just an interim sweetener, whilst he's having fun at bantam

He was stripped of the belt and this for the actual title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭Homelander

That was a really bad stoppage. Cutelaba was clearly faking to try and draw him in, and fair enough he might have overdone it, it's actually not as clear how little damage and how obviously he was playing rope-a-dope until you look at the slower replay.

But the stoppage itself was still quite strange....he was still throwing strong shots and didn't really take any shots in the few seconds before the ref called it off. I would think there is a strong case for a NC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I don't see any case for a NC. He was staggering under heavy shots and his head was rolling around. The fact that he was actually blocking the heavy shots and was returning fire should have been enough for the ref to realise that he was still in the game.

But at the end of the day if your game plan is to convince your opponent that you're badly hurt, you can't complain too much when the ref thinks you're badly hurt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Homelander wrote: »
    That was a really bad stoppage. Cutelaba was clearly faking to try and draw him in, and fair enough he might have overdone it, it's actually not as clear how little damage and how obviously he was playing rope-a-dope until you look at the slower replay.

But the stoppage itself was still quite strange....he was still throwing strong shots and didn't really take any shots in the few seconds before the ref called it off. I would think there is a strong case for a NC.
    Didn't read as fake to me. Not sure you can wobble your head like that consciously. I think he was well rattled but stoppage was a bit early in hindsight. Ref made the call they saw at the time

• Advertisement

xckjoo wrote: »
    Didn't read as fake to me. Not sure you can wobble your head like that consciously. I think he was well rattled but stoppage was a bit early in hindsight. Ref made the call they saw at the time

It's the fact that the instant the fight ended, he was stable on his feet and no head rolling.

Plenty of times you see a fighter protesting a stoppage yet they are still doing the chicken legs. Not the case in this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭xckjoo

DrPhilG wrote: »
    It's the fact that the instant the fight ended, he was stable on his feet and no head rolling.

Plenty of times you see a fighter protesting a stoppage yet they are still doing the chicken legs. Not the case in this one.
    Chicken head for this lad :D
    I do think it should have been let run but easy to say in hindsight. I'm just saying that I can see why the ref made the call he did the way that head was wobbling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

xckjoo wrote: »
    Chicken head for this lad :D
    I do think it should have been let run but easy to say in hindsight. I'm just saying that I can see why the ref made the call he did the way that head was wobbling

I watched it and the head wobbling was completely unnatural, I was agreeing with whoever commentated maybe it was Bisping saying 'He's out on his feet'. If it was unnaturally exaggerated from playing rope a dope then he should have got an Oscar for that performance. Real shame for a good fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Beersmith

****iing hell, to quote one tweet i saw 'that was the worst fight I've seen since adesanya/romera'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,966 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Bueno Silva Vs Moroz is a very interesting fight. Moroz won the first round.

This is a great main card on paper

They should make Bisping the DJ, fake feed of crowd cheers with Bisping on the volume slider.. I dont like the quiet

Looking forward to this, Walker has his whole future career on his shoulders...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Strange without the crowd. Do we want Tony v Khabib to be like this? I'm on the fence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Walker seems to be so hittable

• Advertisement

Man walkers ground game is non existent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Still Ill wrote: »
    Strange without the crowd. Do we want Tony v Khabib to be like this? I'm on the fence

If it's the difference between going ahead and being cancelled again, I'll take the event in an empty stadium.

I would question some of those Walker elbows in round 1.. looked illegal.

That transition was sick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Bisping said "Make some noise!"

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,931 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Time for Maia to retire

Kevin Lee looks heavy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Kevin Lee will always be a gatekeeper

That was a disgrace by Lee, taps then denies it !!!

Won my double.... makes a change.

• Advertisement

That was bizarre from Kevin Lee. Didn't even address it afterwards or try play it off as oxygen deprived or panic induced subconscious reflex or anything.

He looked OK until he got submitted. Some good moments but oliveiras groundwork is really something special, was flowing like water in that fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Lee strikes me as one who doesn't like the sport more than most but does it as a means to an end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

That was bizarre from Kevin Lee. Didn't even address it afterwards or try play it off as oxygen deprived or panic induced subconscious reflex or anything.
    It's very likely that he was a little bit out of it from the choke.
    There's no way he'd actually tap and deny it like that. He knows the cameras are there.

UFC Fight Night 171 Jacksonville

Main Card

Anthony Smith v Glover Teixeira
    Ben Rothwell v Ovince St. Preux
    Alexander Hernandez v Drew Dober
    Ricky Simon v Ray Borg
    Karl Roberson v Marvin Vettori

Preliminary Card

Andrei Arlovski v Philipe Lins
    Michael Johnson v Thiago Moises
    Sijara Eubanks v Sarah Moras
    Hunter Azure v Brian Kelleher

Prelims start est Midnight and Main Card est 2am

After all the plentiful excitement at UFC 249 just hours ago many tuning in for this? Might have a nosy on the prelims on FightPass, not going to fight hard to stay up. Can't see how Anthony Smith doesn't outpoint Glover all night long but everyone's said that about Glover for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

Roberson Vettori is off. Roberson had issues making weight

• Advertisement

Andrei Arlovski really needs to hang them up, another legend who is just way past it. 3 wins in his last 13 fights. I hate to see the greats go this way.

Plenty fighters stay competitive in their later years, but Arlovski is not one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,843 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Andrei Arlovski really needs to hang them up, another legend who is just way past it. 3 wins in his last 13 fights. I hate to see the greats go this way.

Plenty fighters stay competitive in their later years, but Arlovski is not one of them.

Hard to hang em' up when you're making 300k show money for a fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

I think I'll stay up for the prelims and catch the main card tomorrow.

It's great having such a quick turnaround, and then we go again on Saturday!

Has there ever been a fighter in UFC history with a worse run who hasn't been cut?

Has this started yet?

• Advertisement

Has there ever been a fighter in UFC history with a worse run who hasn't been cut?

Mental, I actually didn't realize how bad it was until I looked just now.

I'd say it's because he would be a decent enough draw for any other promo and the HW division in the ufc is so weak.
    eagle eye wrote: »
    Has this started yet?

12 bells

penn

villaneuva has some chin on him sherman looking great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Azure left himself wide open for that all night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Oh baby , God bless Dana and God bless the UFC giving us something to look forward too

Excellent fight between Morales and Benitez. They'll both be sore tomorrow with all the brutal kicks landed. Both in great condition, brutal pace all the way through that fight.

great fights so far

those fighters are so tough

morales could have a big future

Oh Michael Johnson, what were you at? Big mistake after dominating the first round. His leg gets caught on the ground and he turns his back to try and get out of it. Ends up submtting to an heel hook.

Arlovski got a bad kick in the cojones in the second round but still managed a decision win. He looked good tonight. I think Long can win a few fights, he just got outsmarted tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 mic2727

St. Preux looks awful..... seems like he showed for a paycheck, doesnt want to be there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement