Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GLAS thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Basic standard for LIPP is disappointing low: 4 grass species and 3 other other non-grass species

No topping before July
    Only 30 u N allowed per year
    No supplementary feeding allowed
    No P&K allowed

These are all additional costs too in terms of animal thrive/farm management.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

ganmo wrote: »
    they wanted people to be able to pick their options, if they put high standards on every option they wouldn't of gotten the uptake.

Give farmers a better payment for the higher standard, ie results based and you would get uptake. What bother giving a payment for such low standards? It doesn't really benefit biodiversity?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,144 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I think a tiered scheme might be in order. Two/three levels with different payments.
    I think they now know of somethings that didn't work. The Bride Valley Project and similar in other countries may give good templates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

Water John wrote: »
    I think a tiered scheme might be in order. Two/three levels with different payments.
    I think they now know of somethings that didn't work. The Bride Valley Project and similar in other countries may give good templates.
    IFA/DAFM wanted an agri-environmental schemes with the lowest standards possible so more farmers could enter the scheme. The end result is people get payment with basically no real benefit to biodiversity. Schemes like BRIDE project the way forward, farmers who put the effort get the reward.

NPWS going to have their farm schemes results based. They have already drawn up marking scheme for NPWS Corncrake Farm Plan.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

That would make sense, more species = higher payment per ha. I better get a few of them bee seed bombs and introduce a few non native flowers while I'm at it.;)
    I started doing pasture base this year, said to the Teagasc adviser that it's hard to measure DM/ha for plantain.....by eyeballing it.:(

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭Sami23

Opinions please: I sowed my WBC in the middle of May. 2 year mix. Half in Oats and half in Kale. Walked it yesterday, the oats are doing fine a nice even take but the Kale seems to have failed completely for some reason :(.
    Question is would ye leave it and if there was an inspection show the receipts etc and explain it failed or would ye give it a light till and sow again.?
    Tia

• Registered Users Posts: 13,330 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Sami23 wrote: »
    Opinions please: I sowed my WBC in the middle of May. 2 year mix. Half in Oats and half in Kale. Walked it yesterday, the oats are doing fine a nice even take but the Kale seems to have failed completely for some reason :(.
    Question is would ye leave it and if there was an inspection show the receipts etc and explain it failed or would ye give it a light till and sow again.?
    Tia

I actually have the same problem, near same dates as well.

I am going to give it till next Thurs, then harrow and spread new seed.

They'll want to see a decent crop standing, that is what the money is for and only on what they'll pay.

Danzy wrote: »
    I actually have the same problem, near same dates as well.

I am going to give it till next Thurs, then harrow and spread new seed.

They'll want to see a decent crop standing, that is what the money is for and only on what they'll pay.

I'm leaning that way myself too. There's not a chance Kale will come up after this long.
    Btw did you spread much fertiliser with yours 1st time round and did you roll after ?

I'm leaning that way myself too. There's not a chance Kale will come up after this long.
    Btw did you spread much fertiliser with yours 1st time round and did you roll after ?

I didn't spread any fertilizer.

The ground isn't that starved and have seen kake establish well enough without it.

I rolled after, then spread a bit more seed that was left over to be sure, to be sure.

Conditions were good. The other half of the wbc has lots of kale seedling volunteers from last year. It received no fertilizer either but will look like a kale field.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭20silkcut

If you go tilling the field to re establish the kale will you not uproot the oats ??!
    Or have you the field Half in half ???

• Advertisement

20silkcut wrote: »
    If you go tilling the field to re establish the kale will you not uproot the oats ??!
    Or have you the field Half in half ???

Yeah half field in Oats, other half in Kale so no issue that way.
    The Kale came fine when I sowed it 2 years ago so really baffled as to what happened this time as it got rain after sowing n all

I sowed phacelia and mustard as well with the kale few pounds of linseed.

Only the odd one grew,

Types of plants that grow, no matter what, especially mustard.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 blue.dub4sam

I want to book a silage contactor today. Some of the meadow is under glass until Monday 1st July. Is it worth chancing for the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭kerrysoul

Go for it. I topped LIPP fields last year around this time and got away with it.

Kale seed and mustard bought, will scatter and light harrow.

The ground is in a way many individuals would scatter it and walk away.

Guessing it was the cold snap, there was no growth here, the field beside it, worse ground, is doing fantastic, sowed 10 days earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

I want to book a silage contactor today. Some of the meadow is under glass until Monday 1st July. Is it worth chancing for the weekend.
    kerrysoul wrote: »
    Go for it. I topped LIPP fields last year around this time and got away with it.

Just to play devils advocate here you will get fined severely if caught. Lad down the road cut meadow a few days before the 1st July & got thrown out of the scheme & had to pay back all the monies received. Able to back up their reasoning with dated satellite pics.

Not saying they'll catch you, but just keep it in mind.

Satellites don't take the weekend off. Just book in to cut on the 1st FFS. Why do some get an itch when told to do something by the rules?
    BTW I'm no perfect myself. It will be baled as silage, probably nearer to haylage, not hay.

Satellites don't take the weekend off. Just book in to cut on the 1st FFS. Why do some get an itch when told to do something by the rules?

The main reason for wanting to cut early is the weather and the hope of getting hay as weather is to break end of next week (weekend 6th/7th July) so cutting a few days early could make all the difference.

If this year was like last year there would be no problem with dates but unfortunately it's.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,133 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

The main reason for wanting to cut early is the weather and the hope of getting hay as weather is to break end of next week (weekend 6th/7th July) so cutting a few days early could make all the difference.

If this year was like last year there would be no problem with dates but unfortunately it's.
    6th and 7th is too far away for any certainty each way.

Tbh it looks like there's a bit of low pressure around this weekend and after that high pressure comes in again for a while.

6th and 7th is too far away for any certainty each way.

Tbh it looks like there's a bit of low pressure around this weekend and after that high pressure comes in again for a while.

Hopefully - #fingerscrossed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,133 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Hopefully - #fingerscrossed

Blame Water John if it doesn't. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭endainoz

What's the date for topped LIPP again? 1st July is it?

endainoz wrote: »
    What's the date for topped LIPP again? 1st July is it?

15th. 1st is Trad hay meadow.

15th. 1st is Trad hay meadow.

No it's 1st July for topping LIPP also.

Just on GLAS in general do most of ye fill out the yearly RECORD BOOK's yourselves or get your planner to do it ?

No it's 1st July for topping LIPP also.

Just on GLAS in general do most of ye fill out the yearly RECORD BOOK's yourselves or get your planner to do it ?

Ach you're right, i'm thinking of the original one. They amended it, didn't they. D'oh!

Feck off SNM, I'm blamed for enough things.

Some reason the 15th was in my head, glad it's the 1st now

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

endainoz wrote:
    Some reason the 15th was in my head, glad it's the 1st now

Was originally 15th in the specs for GLAS1 but was changed later to 1st.

The date used to be the 15th. Wouldn't be knocking down here in Cork today, real thunder threat and the big drops are falling.

• Advertisement

The weather is North Clare has been fantastic since the rain on Sunday, silage to be made tomorrow and it'll be done for the year then.

Advertisement