Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

What are lads bulling AAx heifers with? I have put a couple of Limousins (Knell) on a few of them this year to see how they perform.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭High bike

What are lads bulling AAx heifers with? I have put a couple of Limousins (Knell) on a few of them this year to see how they perform.
    what age are they?

16-18 months

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭High bike

16-18 months
    They should manage away ok at that age he's supposed to be easy calving, I'd be trying a proven easy calver on heifers myself maybe a saler, sa2153 is handy enough calved and bringing nice stock

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Any of you ever try Stoneyroyd Halcyon Matrix shorthorn bull before?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭50HX

Have an older cow coming get near the end, no matter what I AI her to she calves no bother

Hope to get a replacemenet off the last few calves off her

In heat for the morning should I go

Zch/ fsz/ nin/ mzt/ ahz/adx...........my pot is running low

She,s a lm/ch cow

What would ye think lads??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭tanko

50HX wrote: »
    Have an older cow coming get near the end, no matter what I AI her to she calves no bother

She,s a lm/ch cow

I think you need to get yourself some straws of good Simmental or Limousin maternal bulls.
    Not much of a choice there, ZCH or NiN might be your best bet out of them.

tanko wrote: »
    I think you need to get yourself some straws of good Simmental or Limousin maternal bulls.
    Not much of a choice there, ZCH or NiN might be your best bet out of them.

I have APZ but daughter calving is v high

Need to burn down through what I have if I can, have a lot of old blues but doubt they suit....stiq, dbz, edj, djh

I hear you on updating dating the pot tho

APZ is a waste of space, daughters are no use.
    I dont like bluex cows, i see too many problems calving them around here.

• Advertisement

tanko wrote: »
    APZ is a waste of space, daughters are no use.
    I dont like bluex cows, i see too many problems calving them around here.

I agree blues are too risky especially part time suckling, my terminal side is poor so need to invest in lm I think

I think Simmentals are worrh a try also, the bulls/bullocks are good sellers i find.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭sonnybill

TVR bull

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

50HX wrote: »

She,s a lm/ch cow

AHZ would be my pick from that but might be better saving by the straw for a heifer.
    Add gives great calves but rubbish cows

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

AHZ would be my pick from that but might be better saving by the straw for a heifer.

Hi bogman_bass, did you mean adx, I’ve kept 2 of my lmx cross (hca x fr) heifer calves as cows, the calved on their own and have a nice bag of milk, although one of them is questionable on docility which I think is coming from hca breeding rather than adx. Will be letting up 2 more this year.

Have used adx down through the years but found the heifers went very beefy v early on me and decided against them for breeding

I've a good shot of ahz left and like you say I keep for heifers

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Hi bogman_bass, did you mean adx, I’ve kept 2 of my lmx cross (hca x fr) heifer calves as cows, the calved on their own and have a nice bag of milk, although one of them is questionable on docility which I think is coming from hca breeding rather than adx. Will be letting up 2 more this year.

HCA was a great bull, bred tanks of cattle but a lot of his calves had very poor docility.
    Have one cow here off him, she's not very friendly for a few days after she calves.

What’s your opinion on Ivor? Got three heifers just coming into the 280-285 days

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

squinn2912 wrote: »
    What’s your opinion on Ivor? Got three heifers just coming into the 280-285 days

Is that LM4063?

Is that LM4063?

No LM2014

• Advertisement

What AA bull are lads using for AAx 2nd & 3rd calvers? I have already used limousins on 1/2 the herd but father wants to add a few AA too. He has bulled 2 yesterday with AA2123

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Mac Taylor wrote: »

Sorry. Yeah ADX. Damn auto correct!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭adne

Anyone using the Bova bull Loyal. Looks suitable for heifers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

I've one March born Loyal calf. Looks a grand calf, not exceptionally muscley but shapey enough, touch short if anything.

7LPmbcyl.jpg

Really liking the Cavelands Jolly heifer @ 2 weeks.

QxAFw1il.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,699 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

That cavelands jolly heifer might make a good cow. He has the milk and fertility.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

That cavelands jolly heifer might make a good cow. He has the milk and fertility.

She's earmarked for it anyway, depending on how she does.

What do ye think of the Munster/progressive new 5star replacement limo Cross Liam out of Ronick Hawk? I was going to use him in am on a 16 year old cow that I’d like to get a heifer off of ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,699 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

sonnybill wrote: »
    What do ye think of the Munster/progressive new 5star replacement limo Cross Liam out of Ronick Hawk? I was going to use him in am on a 16 year old cow that I’d like to get a heifer off of ?

Fine looking bull from his photo. I'd be a bit wary of his calving figure, but if cow is big and square I'd chance him.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Fine looking bull from his photo. I'd be a bit wary of his calving figure, but if cow is big and square I'd chance him.

Great figures and she would calf anything , 7 char bulls on the trot .. went with KEZ sim though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭adne

I've one March born Loyal calf. Looks a grand calf, not exceptionally muscley but shapey enough, touch short if anything.

7LPmbcyl.jpg

Really liking the Cavelands Jolly heifer @ 2 weeks.

QxAFw1il.jpg

Cheers. Put loyal on a ped heifer. Thinking calving ease first :)

Advertisement