Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Springboard courses. Free college courses sponsored by the Irish Government

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Brian201888

If you dropped out of a course last year do you have to sit this year out before you can reapply does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

Can anyone explain the ECTS credits? Like a level 9 course but some have 45 credits, some have 60 and 90 credits.
    Can you combine the credits of different courses to get a masters?
    Thanks

ECTS credits are a guide to the study load of a course, with each credit the equivalent of 20-30 hours. This includes classtime, study and assignments.

A level 9 Post Grad Cert may be 60 credits whereas a Master's will usually be 90 credits as the masters requires the completion of a Thesis/Dissertation.

There may be an example I'm not familiar with but generally no you cannot add different courses together to get a master's.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

gogo wrote: »
    Your eligible to them all, but obviously working full time - won’t be able to do one full time course, lots of part time options though. If employed, springboard will cover 90% of the cost, you need to pay the remaining 10%.

Actually if it's an L6 course then Springboard cover 100% of the cost. I did an L6(part time) , passed it and paid zilch for it. Think I paid €2 in stamps to post something back to college. Others courses are 90% from L7-L9

• Registered Users Posts: 40 IwishIknew2020

If you dropped out of a course last year do you have to sit this year out before you can reapply does anyone know?

https://springboardcourses.ie/faq

ECTS credits are a guide to the study load of a course, with each credit the equivalent of 20-30 hours. This includes classtime, study and assignments.

A level 9 Post Grad Cert may be 60 credits whereas a Master's will usually be 90 credits as the masters requires the completion of a Thesis/Dissertation.

There may be an example I'm not familiar with but generally no you cannot add different courses together to get a master's.

Thanks for that.

I wonder can you go by the Excel sheet for the list of courses? For eg. NUIG on the excel have around 6-8 courses this year but nothing when you just put a search in on the website, its strange.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that.

I wonder can you go by the Excel sheet for the list of courses? For eg. NUIG on the excel have around 6-8 courses this year but nothing when you just put a search in on the website, its strange.

The excel sheet is the definitive list of this year's courses, Springboard have issues every so often with their site, if they are missing a course your interested in you should contact them to get the issue fixed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Awful stupid question, is there any way to filter by online courses only?

RossieMan wrote: »
    Awful stupid question, is there any way to filter by online courses only?

There's a drop-down tab "delivery method" where you can filter them

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

Any options on the LYIT - Data Centre Management course anyone?

I have no BSc at all, so I got accepted given the short time frame (1 year) it gives me a BSc in I am half tempted, so its something on the CV!

However, I am also highly interested in the Higher Diploma in Computing with Cyber Security with NCI as there is progression to a MSc with them from it

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭doc22

TallGlass2 wrote: »

I have no BSc at all, so I got accepted given the short time frame (1 year) it gives me a BSc in I am half tempted, so its something on the CV!

However, I am also highly interested in the Higher Diploma in Computing with Cyber Security with NCI as there is progression to a MSc with them from it

Early in the thread
    qwertz wrote: »
    I am in a course at LYIT and unfortunately the majority of lecturers have been atrocious with both quality and speed of feedback. Had I paid the full 6k for this then I’d be extremely p’d off.

• Advertisement

FFVII wrote: »
    Be careful with sligo, last year they had ones advertised finishing in may that finished in December.

Waste of time fluff courses.

Lots of courses are nonsense/poor as they get the springboard money and they don't care. But they do get punished when people don't stick around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

doc22 wrote: »
    Lots of courses are nonsense/poor as they get the springboard money and they don't care. But they do get punished when people don't stick around.
    Punished how?
    Theirs some kind of weird conflict going on i think aswell.

The stupid way its run where you end up taking course you don't want cuz of dates etc...are springboard staff working in the college's and direct you to their college?

Bums in seats?

The whole thing is another rotten yoke if you ask me. Some benefit etc....good for you.

Cheers, I had seen a few replies in the thread. I was putting the feelers out to see if that was the case for the majority!

I am used to the style of these Springboard courses so I am aware of the effort is basically all on me.

What I am more wondering is if I got that BSc from LYIT, is that accepted by other institutions? I cannot see why it would not be. Or am I missing something, has it less credits given the time frame? IE if I done the BSc Hons with them in Cyber for example (different course than mentioned above), the next step in my eyes is a postgrad or Masters, could I apply to say DCU/UCD/Trinity, would I meet the threshold if I wanted to do something there after?

Punished how?

The stupid way its run where you end up taking course you don't want cuz of dates etc...are springboard staff working in the college's and direct you to their college?

Bums in seats?

The whole thing is another rotten yoke if you ask me. Some benefit etc....good for you.

fees are paid in two parts, if you are not around they don't get paid the second

• Registered Users Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭This is it

Punished how?

Bums in seats?

I don't know the specifics but you have to register after your course starts on the Springboard site, to confirm you're doing the course. Then, for me, after Christmas I had to do the same to confirm I was still taking part.

The college probably get a percentage of your fee at the start and the rest when you confirm half way through that you're still there.

Cheers, I had seen a few replies in the thread. I was putting the feelers out to see if that was the case for the majority!

I am used to the style of these Springboard courses so I am aware of the effort is basically all on me.

What I am more wondering is if I got that BSc from LYIT, is that accepted by other institutions? I cannot see why it would not be. Or am I missing something, has it less credits given the time frame? IE if I done the BSc Hons with them in Cyber for example (different course than mentioned above), the next step in my eyes is a postgrad or Masters, could I apply to say DCU/UCD/Trinity, would I meet the threshold if I wanted to do something there after?

As long as you have the relevant requirement and fees they won't care where your degree is from

Just ensure to look past the title of any course your looking at to ensure it has the full allocation of ECTS credits, more of an issue for certs and diplomas where they may only be 40 credits whereas I've seen the requirements to apply for a degree being that your diploma is a 60 credit course

As long as you have the relevant requirement and fees they won't care where your degree is from

Ah okay, I was thinking they might say something about a short fall in credits, I might even run it by one of the colleges to see what they think.

Is Cyber in LYIT better run than the Data Centre course I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,428 ✭✭✭tritium

ClaptonBay wrote: »
    Has anyone completed any of the data analytics courses - would be interested to get opinions on which college you went to and course contents?

Doing the PGDip in NCI at the moment. Content is pretty good and relevant and some of the lecturers are really excellent. College admin is shocking but that seems to be par for the source in most places. Generally the course itself is good though, albeit requires a fair bit of time. Nice thing with springboard courses is you tend to get a good mix of experience in the class which is very useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭fast_eddie

LYIT's PGDip in Cybersecurity also allows you to go on to MSc, you need to do the dissertation after the PGDip - I don't think Springboard cover that, it's about €2k additional cost.
    The PGDip is pretty intense and it covers a lot of material so I'd suggest IT experience would be really useful. I had no problem with lecturer feedback.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

TUD are being straight up sexist with their Postgraduate Certificate in Entrepreneurship and Innovation (for Women). Wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Anyone done the Post Graduate Diploma in Cybersecurity Management ?

Monotype wrote: »
    TUD are being straight up sexist with their Postgraduate Certificate in Entrepreneurship and Innovation (for Women). Wow.

Funny if a man applied and identified as a women for the day:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Funny if a man applied and identified as a women for the day:pac:

Might be an easier qualification, like the way girls didn't have to do certain sections in the leaving cert maths papers from the 30s to the 60s. :rolleyes:

TUD are behind in the times. Trinity got rid of gender restrictions over a century ago!

I listened back to a UL talk on Springboard last night. Seemingly you cant apply for another course until you have been released from your current one which for me my graduation is Aug. Most courses you need to have applied way before Aug. That's disappointing.

I listened back to a UL talk on Springboard last night. Seemingly you cant apply for another course until you have been released from your current one which for me my graduation is Aug. Most courses you need to have applied way before Aug. That's disappointing.

Your results release you from your course not your graduation, UL results are out on Monday

Your results release you from your course not your graduation, UL results are out on Monday

Oh that's brilliant, I must have misunderstood but I thought they said most wouldnt be released till Aug and would be too late to apply to a second course. Delighted if that is not the case.
    Yes, results out tomorrow 9am :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9 obscuraprints

They are worth it. I'm in full time employment and finished a Course through Springboard in March. Have just applied for another one on Friday. Definitely worth looking into. Most are Blended or online for part time courses

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Funky_Corsa

I am absolutely clueless with this type of stuff, so hopefully somebody can guide me.

I don't have a degree, but I do have plenty of IT experience. I never did any 3rd level education; I have a few IT certs, but that's it. If I am looking to get a degree, do I need to do a Level 7 course first? What would I need to do after the 1st year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

I am absolutely clueless with this type of stuff, so hopefully somebody can guide me.

I don't have a degree, but I do have plenty of IT experience. I never did any 3rd level education; I have a few IT certs, but that's it. If I am looking to get a degree, do I need to do a Level 7 course first? What would I need to do after the 1st year?

Depending on the course, some colleges might allow you do the level 8 straight away, if they deem you have enough industry experience.

Have you checked the requirements?

Advertisement