Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didn't know that this thread would have a part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Jamieeeee wrote: »
    Their diet consists mainly of Eucalyptus leaves which are poisonous to most animals. Koalas can digest it but theres very little nutrition in them and they're hard to chew. They have to chew the food to the maximum to extract any goodness from it. They're lethargic all the time because they've no energy.

They also haven't evolved and their teeth are often ground down from eating which means they cant eat and a lot of them starve.

Also, who the fúck gave them all Chlamydia? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Koalas aren't dangerous, despite this week an ITV reporter being pranked into thinking a 'drop bear' (e.g. drops from trees to attack walkers) was a highly dangerous beast, nevermind adding in it had 'poisonous fangs'
    She had near full riot kit on for the cute wee sleepy bear:

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-01-13/itv-news-correspondent-tricked-into-holding-deadly-drop-bear-by-australian-wildlife-park/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

maudgonner wrote: »
    Also, who the fúck gave them all Chlamydia? :eek:

Probably Niamh in the accounts office, that's were I got it from anyway...... I've said too much:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭seagull

Koalas aren't dangerous, despite this week an ITV reporter being pranked into thinking a 'drop bear' (e.g. drops from trees to attack walkers) was a highly dangerous beast, nevermind adding in it had 'poisonous fangs'
    She had near full riot kit on for the cute wee sleepy bear:

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-01-13/itv-news-correspondent-tricked-into-holding-deadly-drop-bear-by-australian-wildlife-park/

Have you seen the claws on them? They can give a nasty slash

And you are now on the Australian hit list for using the b word in connection with koalas.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,532 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Indian housewives hold 11% of the world's gold. That is more than the reserves of the USA, the IMF, Switzerland, and Germany put together.

https://www.factslides.com/i-4557

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

seagull wrote: »
    Have you seen the claws on them? They can give a nasty slash
    If they catch you that is (not the speediest).

Would be more concerened with walking into an spider (orb) web in the bush, upto 25m wide, handy for catching birds flying between trees. Or a gang of redbacks chilling out in your runners (best to tap them in the morning).

Or a walking (and jumping) Huntsman spider, who are also fond of lurking behind car sun visors, ready to drop on your lap. One ate a small mammal recently down in Tas... (note may contain picture of the jolly spider).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

"If you want to train a longbowman, start with his grandfather."

The distorted skeletons of bowmen attest to the just how much training it takes to get good.

It wasn't until the middle of the 19th century that firearms could match the rate of fire of a good archer. The reason they were used before this was you could train conscripts to use a rifle in a fraction of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

"If you want to train a longbowman, start with his grandfather."

The distorted skeletons of bowmen attest to the just how much training it takes to get good.

It wasn't until the middle of the 19th century that firearms could match the rate of fire of a good archer. The reason they were used before this was you could train conscripts to use a rifle in a fraction of the time.

In the Mary Rose shipwreck they were able to identify the archers from their skeletons due to the toll that drawing the arrows took on their skeletons.

4a7aa8be897315d05d2b469c18df36ba.jpg

I was in Portsmouth a couple of years ago and went to the Mary Rose Museum (fantastic museum) and they had a mock up of the different types of bows. The long bow took a ridiculous amount of strength to pull back.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

That is a fascinating read!
    It hadn't actually occurred to me that we couldn't just build a bigger rocket.

The thought that jumps out at me is i wonder if there are any planet bound civilisations out there. They could even be very technologically advanced, perhaps even more so than us in many ways, but purely due to the size of their planet and similar limitations of materials, they just can't get off it?

No sky sports alien action for them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,202 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The Post Office Tower in London, now called the BT Tower, was officially a state secret until 1993 and its location was classified. This is despite the fact it was the tallest building in London.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

The negative press toward MSG arose from a doctor complaining after eating a meal in a Chinese restaurant in the 1960's. The extract was first developed over 100 years ago when a Japanese scientist wanted to re-create the flavour called umami, the chemical it is derived from is found in a lot of foods like tomatoes and cheese.
    https://www.businessinsider.com/is-msg-sodium-in-chinese-food-safe-to-eat-2014-8

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

The final episode of the original Tom & Jerry cartoon series ended with both characters committing suicide.

....however, in the very first Tom & Jerry short cartoon Puss Gets The Boot, Tom's name was Jasper and Jerry's name was never mentioned (although the animators nicknamed him Jinx). The original run of Tom & Jerry cartoons were produced between 1940 to 1957 and resulted in 114 shorts before MGM closed their animation studio down. This run won seven Oscars (for Best Short), tying with Disney's Silly Symphonies as the most awarded theatrical animated series.

Sylvester the cat from the Warner Brothers' shorts was originally called...Thomas!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Ipso wrote: »
    The negative press toward MSG arose from a doctor complaining after eating a meal in a Chinese restaurant in the 1960's. The extract was first developed over 100 years ago when a Japanese scientist wanted to re-create the flavour called umami, the chemical it is derived from is found in a lot of foods like tomatoes and cheese.
    https://www.businessinsider.com/is-msg-sodium-in-chinese-food-safe-to-eat-2014-8

I read somewhere that Parmesan Cheese has the highest amount of naturally forming MSG. Probably makes sense as it pretty much does the same job when added to food.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I read somewhere that Parmesan Cheese
    Or as I've heard some people from west Dublin say, Palmerstown Cheese

Casu marzu is an Italian cheese that isn't suitable for vegetarians.

Or anyone else who doesn't like wrigglers wriggling in food.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

*marzu

And BTW? Cheese isn't suitable for vegetarians unless it's made with vegetable-based rennet, and most cheeses aren't.

New Home wrote: »
    *marzu

And BTW? Cheese isn't suitable for vegetarians unless it's made with vegetable-based rennet, and most cheeses aren't.
    IIRC real rennet cleaves casein at tryptophan 104

Every see a vegetarian with leather shoes ?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

True, but the alternatives for shoes are limited, more so than for cheese and other foodstuff.

Aaanyway, apologies, I didn't mean to to detail the thread.

In "other bits and pieces you might or might not have known about"...

The word "migraine" derives from a corruption of the word "Hemicrania", i.e. hemi = half, and cranium = skull, as it usually extends over half of one's head.

https://www.etymonline.com/word/migraine#etymonline_v_14815

• Registered Users Posts: 13,532 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Winnie the Pooh is banned in China.

https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-china-blog-40627855

Postman Pat was gangster.

Banned in Japan until they digitally edited him to have four fingers so he didn't look like a Yakuza who'd failed.

• Advertisement

Freaky

0004_67c6_500.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

The phrase 'upper crust' comes from the baking of bread. A few hundred years ago, many loaves of bread would have been baked all at the same time in big ovens, and the most important people got the bread baked at the top of the oven, where it would bake more evenly with less burning, and the most important person of all would get the tastiest bit of all, the top slice of the top loaf...the upper crust.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭joeguevara

osarusan wrote: »
    The phrase 'upper crust' comes from the baking of bread. A few hundred years ago, many loaves of bread would have been baked all at the same time in big ovens, and the most important people got the bread baked at the top of the oven, where it would bake more evenly with less burning, and the most important person of all would get the tastiest bit of all, the top slice of the top loaf...the upper crust.

No evidence of that and more likely backfilling. The earths outer crust explanation is quite interesting:

https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/upper-crust.html

Also, why would crust be the tastiest? Surely the soft bread, rather than the crust would be the nicest part.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,831 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

osarusan wrote: »
    Ah well.

I actually find these back fill explanations interesting in themselves, like this one but also the way people claim certain words started as acronyms (To Insure Prompt Service for tips, or Touch and Go for tag, etc). Where do THESE explanations come from? Why do people make them up? They're kind of an interesting sun genre on themselves and I enjoy when they show up on this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 28,851 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

joeguevara wrote: »
    No evidence of that and more likely backfilling. The earths outer crust explanation is quite interesting:

https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/upper-crust.html

Also, why would crust be the tastiest? Surely the soft bread, rather than the crust would be the nicest part.

So the link states that it is fanciful to think the term upper crust comes from the top of the bread, but then explains how the very first reference to this was in 1460 when it referred to exactly that. It then also goes on to say it has no real certainty where it came from, but it seems pretty sure it isn't from the explanation offered above.

So they scoff at an explanation given, but can't offer an explanation of their own.

• Advertisement

I actually find these back fill explanations interesting in themselves, like this one but also the way people claim certain words started as acronyms (To Insure Prompt Service for tips, or Touch and Go for tag, etc). Where do THESE explanations come from? Why do people make them up? They're kind of an interesting sun genre on themselves and I enjoy when they show up on this thread

called backronyms

Advertisement