Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

County or country first?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

Always say Ireland then Dubalin.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Galway first.

People may slag Ireland in front of me but if you go after Galway we will dance :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

When someone abroad asks you where you're from, they clearly mean the country. It's just petty provincial buffoonery to start with anything but your country.

Arghus wrote: »
    Country.

I don't think anyone I've met outside of Ireland cared remotely what county I come from.

Oh I agree.

But I do. Much as I guess someone from the Basque region in Spain might say there first. It doesn't matter if the person asking isn't sure where it is, it says something about the loyalties of the person saying it.

• Advertisement

When someone abroad asks you where you're from, they clearly mean the country. It's just petty provincial buffoonery to start with anything but your country.

There seems to be a lot of focus on the "where are you from" question. It wasn't meant to be an analysis of answering question posed by people abroad, merely an example of what I unconsciously answer and where my loyalty lies.

I don't think of it as provincial buffoonery, no more than identifying with people from Donegal or Fatima Mansions might be nationalist buffoonery.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'd say Irish first if asked by a foreigner, Dublin if asked by a local(or a Brit as they'd generally pick up on the Irish thing, but would be asking for specifics). I'm not of Culshie stock so don't think in counties really.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Edward Hopper

English first, then general area of country and what cities and towns Irish people may know. So I have mileages worked out for London Manchester and Birmingham!

Wibbs wrote: »
    I'd say Irish first if asked by a foreigner, Dublin if asked by a local(or a Brit as they'd generally pick up on the Irish thing, but would be asking for specifics). I'm not of Culshie stock so don't think in counties really.

If I ever meet you, my second question will be "... and where in county Dublin?" ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

I meet a lot of foreigners in my work. When they ask where I am from I tell them Ireland.
    If they probe further I will advise them I am from Sligo and give them the fun fact that Sligo is the actual centre of the universe.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

If I ever meet you, my second question will be "... and where in county Dublin?" ;)
    Theres a county Dublin you say? Well I never… :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

I'll say Ireland first (well, particularly with foreigners, depends how it's phrased by Irish people - half of them seem to think I'm either American or English). Although I do tend to phrase county as "I grew up in Waterford, on the south coast/in the south-east". Didn't really realise I was doing that until I thought of it, but my family are fairly mixed in terms of where they were born and raised, so I've never really felt "from" anywhere in particular :D Grew up in Waterford, wasn't born there, both were pure chance, so I feel no particular pride or real interest in the fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

Since I moved to the UK, most people would know its Ireland so I would say the nearest city and they often have no idea where Derry (or Londonderry) is so I just shrug and say the north west.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Definitely country first as an identity. I usually go Town next if someone wants more detail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Dublin...not the greatest fan of country folk, learnt that the hard way abroad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

dublin will suffice for the UK and most continentals

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

Patww79 wrote: »

No, I am from Donegal but right by the border.
    I assume most people would know about the city nearest (Derry) than a small townland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I don't really care about counties or allegiances but don't like it when some inbred is making aggrandizements about the status of whatever county or province they are from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

I lived in the UK for many years and although they'd know straight away where in Ireland you were from they struggled with anything outside Dublin.

So when they asked where I was from and I answered Mayo they had no idea, then when you said it's near Galway they looked no more enlightened.

Moral of the story is that outside of Ireland no-one knows anything about our counties and where they are!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

1 Ireland Road, Ireland City, Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭FURET

It depends where you are. I live in the Middle East and work with Arabs and other Asians primarily.

So my primary identity is unashamedly and proudly westerner, specifically European westerner. I am perceived as a westerner, and when I meet another westerner, we share vast areas of common culture when compared with Arabs or Indians, for example, to the extent that it doesn't matter whether I'm talking with a Finn or a Pole or a German -- we're western.

After European westerner, I identify with the Republic of Ireland.

Counties don't get a look in, they're totally trivial from my perspective.

When I was younger and naive, I used to say "human". Then I traveled and lived abroad and saw how the world really is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

Ireland first, counties have very little distinction as far as I'm concerned. Tipperary is just a county council border, no difference to Kilkenny or Waterford for example

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

If speaking to someone from Ireland I tell them Co Armagh, I find people's geography and knowledge of towns is quite pathetic so I don't bother explaining where.

If speaking to someone from the UK I tell them I'm Irish and not too far from Belfast as that's the place they're most likely to have heard of.

Rest of the world - I'm Irish. If they haven't heard of Ireland before they'll soon know about it after.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

For me it's always Kerry first. When abroad, when asked where I'm from, apparently I always say "Kerry...in Ireland"...or so my wife tells me, I can't say it's conscious.

Do you say this to Irish people when abroad? This is why I avoid Irish pubs abroad like the plague.

CaraMay wrote: »
    Do you say this to Irish people when abroad? This is why I avoid Irish pubs abroad like the plague.

You avoid Irish pubs because...people might tell you the county they come from?

Seriously?

Could you explain that? Why your aversion to hear what part of the country where people are from? Could it be cured if you asked a different question to "where are you from"?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

tbh if you're abroad and someone asks you where you're from and you just say "dublin" then they know you're irish. Even in Texas

I suppose people from ballygobackwards or borrisnaboggery don't have that luxury.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

You avoid Irish pubs because...people might tell you the county they come from?

Seriously?

Could you explain that? Why your aversion to hear what part of the country where people are from? Could it be cured if you asked a different question to "where are you from"?

My point is I avoid Irish pubs in case you meet people who say 'Kerry, Ireland' rather than just Kerry. I guess I go abroad to get a change of scene and it doesn't make any sense to me to hang out with Irish people while abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Bambi wrote:
    I suppose people from ballygobackwards or borrisnaboggery don't have that luxury.

It's a small price to pay for not being a Dub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

RayM wrote: »
    Yes, people who come from different parts of a tiny island are wildly different from each other...

This is quite true.

Advertisement