Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Households To Produce Receipts For Waste Or Face Fines

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I can't actually see a massive drop in illegal dumping because of this. People will essentially get a receipt from the local amenity center and say they are very environmentally friendly and don't produce much rubbish.
    Sure. But if someone produces (say) two a month, and decides to dump one and pay for the other, then you've reduced their fly-tipping by 50%. Success!
    I lawfully dispose of waste. That's it I'm done with it. It should not be on me to keep track of who I've done it with , where I've done it and maintain proof of it.
    If that's your issue, then you'll be amazed at what kind of records Revenue can demand of you if they feel like it :)
    Seriously - it's like saying, "I pay my tax, that's it, I'm done with it. It should not be on me to keep track of what I earned, when I earned it and maintain proof of it".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,809 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

seamus wrote: »
    Sure. But if someone produces (say) two a month, and decides to dump one and pay for the other, then you've reduced their fly-tipping by 50%. Success!

I know people who visit civic amenity sites and would only go about twice a year and get receipts because they would barely generate a wheel bin of rubbish every six months.
    Fly tippers will say they are like this and continue to dump on a weekly basis and just get the odd receipt!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Fly tippers will say they are like this and continue to dump on a weekly basis and just get the odd receipt!
    Nobody's saying it will fix the problem completely, any reduction at all would be a positive.

TheChizler wrote: »
    Nobody's saying it will fix the problem completely, any reduction at all would be a positive.

The thing is I can't guarantee we'll see a massive reduction in it.
    If people cop on that they could get away with a trip to the civic amenity center one or twice a year and just say they reuse things/don't buy a lot of packaging. They might cut out the bin service and fly tip instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

If people cop on that they could get away with a trip to the civic amenity center one or twice a year and just say they reuse things/don't buy a lot of packaging. They might cut out the bin service and fly tip instead.
    If they don't do that now why would they start then? Nothing stopping them from 100% fly-tipping currently. I think it's a huge stretch to suggest it will increase illegal dumping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

The bigger problem with fly tipping isnt really individuals that dump their waste illegally...its illegal collectors. Its closing in on the illegal collectors, who are a bigger problem as regards illegal dumping, as much as sending a signal to individual householders.

It would be rather annoying if this became the norm in stadiums/cinemas because the cleaners would get less hours!
    I know a guy and he used work in a cinema and they used always hope the screens would used have loads of rubbish left it in them.
    They used hate getting groups of kids from schools/clubs and the teacher used bring a bin bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

The bigger problem with fly tipping isnt really individuals that dump their waste illegally...its illegal collectors. Its closing in on the illegal collectors, who are a bigger problem as regards illegal dumping, as much as sending a signal to individual householders.

They're as bad, but its easier to catch the collectors.
    It's the guy pulling up and tossing two bin bags in the ditch that are impossible to catch

• Advertisement

They're as bad, but its easier to catch the collectors.
    It's the guy pulling up and tossing two bin bags in the ditch that are impossible to catch

It may always be impossible to catch that toe rag. But closing the gaps in enforcement will reduce the cost of cleaning up illegal dumps.

Preventing an illegal collector might be the equivalent of catching 20 Joe Scumbags throwing his sh*t into a field.

It may always be impossible to catch that toe rag. But closing the gaps in enforcement will reduce the cost of cleaning up illegal dumps.

Preventing an illegal collector might be the equivalent of catching 20 Joe Scumbags throwing his sh*t into a field.

True
    But you can set a trap for the man with the van.

Where to start with the flytipping fcukers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Can we also do something against these manky people that just throw poopnappies into their fireplaces and stink the whole area up?

True
    But you can set a trap for the man with the van.

Where to start with the flytipping fcukers

It's not really a trap and it's an easy way to address fly tipping. Catching the individual flytipper is never going to be easy but that doesn't mean you don't come close off one of the other gaps.

It's not really a trap and it's an easy way to address fly tipping. Catching the individual flytipper is never going to be easy but that doesn't mean you don't come close off one of the other gaps.

Not sure are we not disagreeing? :)

I'm saying we should do both

Not sure are we not disagreeing? :)

I'm saying we should do both

No YOU'RE wrong!

:)

Thought this measure was too long to get in order. I'm not sure how to tackle the individual flytippers tbh. It may be that you can't...that all you can do is make it more and more hassle for them to get away with it

• Advertisement
Advertisement