Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

French author, 50, says he's incapable of loving a woman of 50

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭ginandtonicsky

The problem comes when affix a person's value to their sexual attractiveness and age. I see that a lot in conversations about people becoming less attractive as they age. Some people will frame it as a person's value going down. That's a really dehumanizing way to view anyone, let alone a large group of people.

And the insults that get thrown around about older people - like, is it necessary? I mean, we're all either going to die young or end up sagging. It's just such a cheap shot to take, especially considering how hard aging can be for everyone, not just psychologically, but physically. The world is kind to very few people past 50.

And finally, it's one thing to state a preference - "I like people with blue eyes." It's another thing to follow up a preference with an insult, "I like people with blue eyes. Brown eyed people look like they have ****e in their pupils." What's the hoped for takeaway there? I mean, yes you can absolutely say that and no one should ever take away your right to say that. But, seriously - what's the desired reaction of pointing out a physical flaw that a person can neither control nor fix? You may not be able to control your evolutionary wiring, but you can probably control the words that come out of your mouth.

+1 to all of this.

There's this strange Schadenfreude in a certain cohort of men when it comes to ageing women and how they "de-value" on the dating scene, almost always accompanied by the usual trite bs cliches about "men age like fine wine, women age like milk", blah blah ad nauseum.

Almost as if "aha! Finally! Revenge on those horrible big-headed attractive women who wouldn't look sideways at me 20 years ago!" One poster blatantly expressed that exact sentiment a few pages back, which is the most honest I've ever seen anyone be about the motives behind the unfiltered smug glee expressed when the subject of women in their 30s+ and their attractiveness is concerned. (Paging Choresex guy, come in Choresex guy)

I'm not offended by French McFrenchy expressing a rather cliched opinion in an entirely French way, what's offensive is the "old bag" / "prune" / "nagging aul wan" potshots, par for the course in a thread about women around here.

Anyway, from the other side of the fence, I'm a woman closer to 25 than 50 and by a country mile the majority of men who hit on me and have always hit on me online were 20+ years older and arsed or interested I could be not. Go on outta that like! It's "Dad's mate" territory and I'm not physically attracted, news flash, 50 year old men's bodies aren't "extraordinary" either lads!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭Sonic Youth

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Youre putting a lot of effort into your trolling

I think he's talking a lot a sense. A friend of mine was telling me recently about some friends of hers who have wasted large sums of money on freezing eggs and ivf. All for nothing. I think the same reality is hitting my friend and a lot of other women in their 30s I know.

It's sad. Much better to have children in your 20s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

DS86DS wrote: »
    Women need to understand that their prime years are in their early to mid-20s, when they are the most fertile and attractive to men.

This is basic science and evolutionary psychology

Traditionally, this was the age when most women married and started having families.

But thanks to feminism, women are putting off marriage and starting a family well into their 40s and put career above having birth and starting the next generation through starting a family.

But the thing is, is that many of these career women are delusional. Men couldn't care less about what a woman's career and education is, and I say that as somebody who has been to university.

Give me a silly and not too bright, but loving and caring 25 year old.....over a ball busting and angry 30+ career woman who will put her career above me any day of the week.

They are not just past their prime years to start a family and have a long term marriage in the traditional sense. But they tend to be very angry and aggressive go-getter types that see themselves in constant battle with their men.

Most men are sensible as to their where their worth lies and settle accordingly, as do nice young traditional women.

I think you'll find in years to come when all of the women who put career above family reach their 40s and 50s, that the reality will set in. Sadly it will be too late.

One has to wonder if Feminism is really one big conspiracy propagated by the cat food industry.

But sure according to you if we gave up our notions and settled down at 25 to spend our prime years looking after you, when we got to fifty years, nay even 35 years of age and after all that is inevitable, you would no longer find us attractive and off you'd go chasing 25 year olds or even just perving after them. So wouldn't we women be better off minding our careers as we are doing and going to the sperm bank at 35 if we need to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

I think he's talking a lot a sense. A friend of mine was telling me recently about some friends of hers who have wasted large sums of money on freezing eggs and ivf. All for nothing. I think the same reality is hitting my friend and a lot of other women in their 30s I know.

It's sad. Much better to have children in your 20s.

Well I don't have kids and don't want them but if I did, I certainly would have been in no place financially or mentally to have them in my 20s. There's no right or wrong time to have kids, just the right time for those involved. Besides, why aren't more 20 something guys looking to have kids or is this all the fault of women? I don't know, from my own personal experience, any guys in their 20s who wanted kids

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Women don't "need to understand" this - we know full well that our most fertile years are in our 20s DS - we are told this constantly! Early to mid 20s most attractive to men? Don't know about that - think that might be just you thinking you speak for all men, but yeah 20s, early 30s.

None of the above makes it true however that a woman's face looks like it crashed into a wall when she turns 35. A frankly retarded thing to say. Again, why the insults just for ageing, nothing else?

"Most men are sensible as to where their worth lies" - could you explain this? (And ditto regarding "nice" :D young traditional women").

I'm not sure why you say most men don't give a sh1t about a woman's education - as I don't think that's why women get an education. How do you know about most men anyway? Lots of men find being educated attractive. I think you're attempting to speak for all men again.

You keep talking about extremes and either/or too - what about women who get an education, career and have children in their late 20s/early 30s? And i understand criticism of feminism today but earlier feminism that advocated education and career? Criticism of that seems more at home within a certain religion you criticise a lot. It means the woman can be self sufficient if she doesn't meet a man until later in life - better than being a gold digger surely?

I think you should stop putting women in boxes of "women I approve of" and "crazy hard-core feminists". There's much more variety to us. E.g. a woman can have a career and not be at all an angry man-hater!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

He's just stating facts.

Fat, broke, old, short and ugly men are invisible too and no one would be shocked by that. In fact from mid 30s to mid 50s is the only time a man is more attractive to the opposite sex than a woman of the same age.

What do 50+ women want to be attractive to other men for anyway - they should be happy with their 50+ life partners. Oh yeah I forgot - women only want to look good for other women.

If there wasn't any truth in it no one would be outraged.

My 47 year old friend in China has a 23 year gf who worships him.
    Worships? Sounds like dynamic right at home in a certain religion DS criticises a lot.

professore wrote: »
    He's just stating facts.

Fat, broke, old, short and ugly men are invisible too and no one would be shocked by that. In fact from mid 30s to mid 50s is the only time a man is more attractive to the opposite sex than a woman of the same age.

What do 50+ women want to be attractive to other men for anyway - they should be happy with their 50+ life partners. Oh yeah I forgot - women only want to look good for other women.

I'm not outraged at the French dude, the sexual preferences of someone I've never even heard of are not going to get me upset. But stuff like "Post wall" women, yeah, I find that totally depressing and sad.

Bla bla digs as usual from professore, but wait:
    women only want to look good for other women.
    We... do? :confused:

• Advertisement

I'm not outraged at the French dude, the sexual preferences of someone I've never even heard of are not going to get me upset. But stuff like "Post wall" women, yeah, I find that totally depressing and sad.

It's a vile term alright, but there's plenty of "post wall" men out there too. To some degree you can choose how you look as you age with exercise, healthy eating, etc.

And finally, it's one thing to state a preference - "I like people with blue eyes." It's another thing to follow up a preference with an insult, "I like people with blue eyes. Brown eyed people look like they have ****e in their pupils." What's the hoped for takeaway there? I mean, yes you can absolutely say that and no one should ever take away your right to say that. But, seriously - what's the desired reaction of pointing out a physical flaw that a person can neither control nor fix? You may not be able to control your evolutionary wiring, but you can probably control the words that come out of your mouth.

I'm all for people saying this if that's what they think rather than saying it behind my back. Makes it simpler to cut them out of my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

He's just stating facts.

Happily in the real world most of us are very happy with our life partners & visa versa but if you were following the logic here, it's our life partners that are not happy to be with our post wall selves and want to be with 25 year olds.

I wouldn't bother getting depressed or sad about it. Most men aren't such bitter misogynists.

I like to look good for myself cos I'm vain like that!

Mrsmum wrote: »
    Happily in the real world most of us are very happy with our life partners & visa versa but if you were following the logic here, it's our life partners that are not happy to be with our post wall selves and want to be with 25 year olds.

No... One dickhead French guy is like that. I'm quite happy with my nearly 50 year old "post wall" life partner thank you very much.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't bother getting depressed or sad about it. Most men aren't such bitter misogynists.

Very true, thankfully it's not a term that I've heard anyone using in real life

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭Sonic Youth

Worships? Sounds like dynamic right at home in a certain religion DS criticises a lot.

Well not really since he doesn't beat her or make her wear a veil.

She's really likes him.

Go east young (white) man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Women need to .

Give me a silly and not too bright, but loving and caring 25 year old.....over a ball busting and angry 30+ career woman who will put her career above me any day of the week.

They are not just past their prime years to start a family and have a long term marriage in the traditional sense. But they tend to be very angry and aggressive go-getter types that see themselves in constant battle with their men.

So what you're saying is get them young (and "not too bright" so they won't question your bull****) and trap them with children so that their chance of a career is hindered. And then they reach 35+ and what? You'll trade up for a younger model if bitter aul wans aren't your thing and leave them with no career or prospects? You sound like a catch.

It might shock you to learn that many women manage to get married and have children, as well as having a career and still manage to do the bulk of the childcare and housework while they're at it. It's not like those are either/or options these days.

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    So what you're saying is get them young (and "not too bright" so they won't question your bull****) and trap them with children so that their chance of a career is hindered. And then they reach 35+ and what? You'll trade up for a younger model if bitter aul wans aren't your thing and leave them with no career or prospects?
    It's actually incredible how close to a certain world it sounds.

Yeah two incomes is necessary for a lot of homes nowadays.

Very true, thankfully it's not a term that I've heard anyone using in real life
    I like to look attractive to men - don't give a sh1t what women think!

• Advertisement

Then why care what some French MAN thinks LOL... you're probably going to say you don't care

Edit.... You do care. Fair play... Damn I thought I was going to have some fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭ginandtonicsky

Yeah that stuff is just PURE schadenfreude. Nelson from The Simpson's style "haha!" from men that revel gleefully at the idea that women have a "window" and suddenly turn into grotesque unfcukable messes after they hit some magical number they've plucked out of thin air.

It's pure comedy and transparent as a smack in the face with a wet fish.

Comedic interlude

Meanwhile lads will continue to be attracted to women far younger than them and the vast majority of younger women will continue to cringe and rebuff their advances unless they're very rich, famous or an anomaly of a man they fancied despite their older age; and the rest of us will inevitably age (that's if we're lucky) and couple up with people in our peer groups because that's how the world works.

It's a vile term alright, but there's plenty of "post wall" men out there too. To some degree you can choose how you look as you age with exercise, healthy eating, etc.
    You won't see women describing them as post wall though
    And yeah how well you age depends on lifestyle but 35 is a bit early yet.

Meanwhile lads will continue to be attracted to women far younger than them and the vast majority of younger women will continue to cringe and rebuff their advances unless they're very rich, famous or an anomaly of a man they fancied despite their older age; and the rest of us will inevitably age (that's if we're lucky) and couple up with people in our peer groups because that's how the world works.

Most men actually aren't that attracted to women "far younger" than them. 5-10 years younger is about right but this tends to work in the opposite direction with women too... Any teenage boy will tell you that, with teenage girls going after older guys.

When you get to 50+ then both sexes the far younger thing would come into play.

You won't see women describing them as post wall though
    And yeah how well you age depends on lifestyle but 35 is a bit early yet.

Yes, people on this thread can mouth off about "angry feminists" but I'm not aware of any equivalent term that women use, or any equivalent movement to the bleak PUA stuff

Then why care what some French MAN thinks LOL... you're probably going to say you don't care

Edit.... You do care. Fair play... Damn I thought I was going to have some fun
    Openly admitting you enjoy being on a wind-up.

Actually I stated earlier a number of times that this man can fancy whomever he likes and it's ridiculous of women that age to get angry with him. I also stated that biology dictates that men find young women attractive - again, can't argue with that.

What i objected to was the derogatory way women, simply for not being very young, were being spoken about here. It's utterly unnecessary. But there is a minority that love doing it. But simply finding very young women the most attractive? Absolutely fair enough - and can be expressed without insults towards women older than that. It really can.

I just noted your comment about how women make themselves look good for other women (and stating as fact) because it's bollox. Well it applies to some women I'm sure but I don't get why some people think they know what all women think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

Mrsmum wrote: »
    But sure according to you if we gave up our notions and settled down at 25 to spend our prime years looking after you, when we got to fifty years, nay even 35 years of age and after all that is inevitable, you would no longer find us attractive and off you'd go chasing 25 year olds or even just perving after them. So wouldn't we women be better off minding our careers as we are doing and going to the sperm bank at 35 if we need to.

Seriously. Why would you want to invest that much in a person who views you as having an expiration date?

True, but a scary amount of men are carrying resentment/hurt/damage with them from their days in underage and college nightclubs. It's amazing how many men still go on about how they were treated years after they should have left those days behind them. (And yes, underage/college nightclubs are awful for many, possibly even most men, so what, it's a hard age for loads of people).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Katgurl

I see all the c**£$ are out in force.

Talking about women who happen to have been born over 50 years ago in such an insulting manner is disgusting. I assume most of you know and love someone in that age bracket; mother, aunt, wife, sister. I hope they realise how unattractive they are and if they have a man they should at least have the good sense to worship him even if they're not 25 and asian.

Vile attitudes here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Well it applies to some women I'm sure but I don't get why some people think they know what all women think.

They probably think they know because they've heard enough different women say it and very rarely if ever hear the opposite. I'm 36 and you saying you like to look good for men as opposed to for yourself or for other women - first time I've heard it.

• Advertisement

True, but a scary amount of men are carrying resentment/hurt/damage with them from their days in underage and college nightclubs. It's amazing how many men still go on about how they were treated years after they should have left those days behind them. (And yes, underage/college nightclubs are awful for many, possibly even most men, so what, it's a hard age for loads of people).
    Aye. I cannot stand those utter bitches who ridicule lads for chatting them up and having the absolute neck not to be gorgeous.

But there's no logic to the backlash. "I'm angry over how some women treated me 15 years ago - I'm gonna insult and blame ALL women, and make the stupidest claims ever!"

Isn't that what they object to feminists doing re men?

grindle wrote: »
    They probably think they know because they've heard enough different women say it and very rarely if ever hear the opposite. I'm 36 and you saying you like to look good for men as opposed to for yourself or for other women - first time I've heard it.
    Fair enough. That hasn't been my own personal experience.

grindle wrote: »

To be fair, it's hardly a shock that someone might want to look good for the opposite sex and this should be no surprise to anyone. We all do it. I also really enjoy make-up and sometimes wear it even when I'm not seeing anyone so that's what I mean when I say I do it for myself

Aye. I cannot stand those utter bitches who ridicule lads for chatting them up and having the absolute neck not to be gorgeous.

But there's no logic to the backlash. "I'm angry over how some women treated me 15 years ago - I'm gonna insult and blame ALL women, and make the stupidest claims ever!"

Isn't that what they object to feminists doing re men?

Exactly! "And they were shallow about me, so I'll be shallow about someone else! That'll really show them!". If people are still bitter over being rejected as a teen and are looking to punish all women, they need help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭DS86DS

So many women here who seem to think that life is one big episode of Sex and the City.

"I can have this high flying career as well as be a mother and wife in the traditional sense".

Such delusional thinking, not many people can pull off such a manoeuvre no matter how feminists try to sugar coat it.

There's a lot of talk about egg freezing etc. which is completely irrelevant to the irrefutable evidence at hand, and that is that a woman's prime years are her early to mid-20s. That is basic biological and scientific fact, and no amount of feminist cheerleading is going to change that.

Life is not one big episode of Sex and the City. Sadly many women have been duped by feminists into thinking that this is the case, but unfortunately it doesn't work out like this in real life.

Choose Mammon over Motherhood and there are consequences. We all have to make difficult life choices, nobody can have their cake and eat it too.

I'm thinking that there are many women 35+ who made this mistake and now that it's too late, are depressed and lonely over the decisions they once made.

After all, a husband and children will appreciate your motherhood and contribuions to the family house. A cat couldn't care less if you are a high flying city accountant.

Which women here think that life is an episode of Sex & The City? Nobody is in denial about their fertility and nobody has said being a high-flying single career woman is better than having a family. You're making stuff up in order to be derogatory.

The actual reality is that most women have children if they want to, and huge numbers do so well after their early to mid 20s, but obviously not their 40s. And these are women who have completed an education and achieved a career and then they compromise for motherhood. I don't understand why you're denying reality (well I do ;)).

And there are women who aren't interested in a career and just want to be mothers, and that's fine too. Then there are women who have children very young and also embrace a high-flying career. And don't have a problem with men. And some of these women who have children are also feminists (three of the most annoying feminists I know all have children and partners/husbands). And some women with a family love cats. And some single women prefer dogs. Others do both the career thing and have children later in life, which can't be easy but many households need two incomes. And some women are happy just to have a partner. And some can't have children. And some just haven't been lucky with meeting someone.

It's almost as if there are various types of these female folks.

You're obsessed with feminism and it's you who keeps going on about it. No women here are singing its praises. Simply disputing some of what you say (not the biological stuff - although countless women do have children without issue after their mid 20s) does not automatically mean worshipping at the altar of feminism, or being a cat lady, or thinking life is like Sex & The City, or thinking they can have children no bother if they wait until their 40s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Women can choose what they want these days, have a career, a family or even..shock..both. some people aren't happy about that it seems. Some of the career women responsible for the downfall of society aren't even feminists anyway.

Also, sex and the city ended 15 years ago ffs. And it was just a tv show. What relevance does it have to people's life choices?

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Women can choose what they want these days, have a career, a family or even..shock..both. some people aren't happy about that it seems. Some of the career women responsible for the downfall of society aren't even feminists anyway.

Also, sex and the city ended 15 years ago ffs. And it was just a tv show. What relevance does it have to people's life choices?

Sex and the City is used as a reference point by guys with an extremely narrow world view of women- those who haven't had a lot of interactions or experience with women in real life and/ or harbour bitterness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Give me a silly and not too bright, but loving and caring 25 year old.

So.........it's a puppy you actually want then in reality ?

Deprived of a puppy when were a kid or did your one run out the gate under a car

Every chance it got

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭DS86DS

gctest50 wrote: »
    So.........it's a puppy you actually want then in reality ?

Deprived of a puppy when were a kid or did your one run out the gate under a car

Every chance it got

Wishing death on a cute little puppy? Wow so many angry and bitter women here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Ruh Roh Chore Sex Guy is in the house....

Funny_Pictures_sex-after-marriage_4636.gif

(*Unfollows :rolleyes:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I'm not capable of loving any female Boards member. Any woman who wants to teach me a valuable lesson is welcome to upload a picture of their arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

My heart bleeds for them. What I remember from that stage of my life is a pile of harrassment, groping and a few attempts at sexual assault. Men treat women far worse than vice versa. Your ego hurts? Boohoo. At least you weren't getting raped and assaulted to the extent women do. Getting turned down is nothing like as bad as being street harassed is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Have to say you only take offence if you are bothered. Sure what would you expect from a pig only a grunt.

Saw this yesterday on fb. Someone had put it up. "Oh yer man is getting a dig at me,I'm nearly that age."

Not a single fck was given.

Thought he had a bit of a cheek in a funny way, looked at his twitter photo, had a smile as he's not exactly drank from the fountain of youth. Very haggard for fifty, too much sun maybe. Looks like a right miserable aul cardigan man who needs to lighten up. So he's not attracted to me and I'm invisible to him. Given the big googly eyes on him, saying anything is invisible must be a major insult so I should be upset and offended. Ehhh, jog on mate.

People here like to think women want to be offended.

This crap "wall women" or whatevever, I've no idea what it is, never heard of it till now. its perpetuated by idiots, with a wannabe superiority complex who are not confident in themselves and want to project that onto others.

I got an email yesterday from someone I knew growing up out of the blue as Id popped up in a group photo of a friend of his. He said, only for I know it's you, I can't believe you are our age. I should have said, ahhh that can't possibly be true as Mr. Googly eyes French man says I'm invisible therefore that MUST be the case.

I said thanks, went about my business, booked a holiday and a pick up date for my new car. It's terrible life being an aul one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭0cp71eyxkb94qf

Calina wrote: »
    My heart bleeds for them. What I remember from that stage of my life is a pile of harrassment, groping and a few attempts at sexual assault. Men treat women far worse than vice versa. Your ego hurts? Boohoo. At least you weren't getting raped and assaulted to the extent women do. Getting turned down is nothing like as bad as being street harassed is.

There's nothing like a good dose of rape to stifle a discussion. How do you leave the house?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

The theres Sandra Bullock.
    She was always an ugly duckling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

NIMAN wrote: »
    Why are people getting upset about someone expressing an opinion?
    His own personal opinion?

If this offends anyone, then they really need to take a good look at themselves.

Why are you upset about people being upset with his opinion? They are also entitled to their opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Wishing death on a cute little puppy? Wow so many angry and bitter women here.

Is that what you read by that sentence, if so you need some help with your language and comprehension skills.

You are the only one bitter around here. You need to calm down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Sex and the City is used as a reference point by guys with an extremely narrow world view of women- those who haven't had a lot of interactions or experience with women in real life and/ or harbour bitterness.
    Kind of hilarious that SaTC is being used as a prime example of "the feminist dream", when in reality the main character's entire existence is defined by her relationship with men.

It's an American Bridget Jones, i.e. it reinforces the notion that women are disorganised failing messes until they have a man in their life to tie it all together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

There's nothing like a good dose of rape to stifle a discussion. How do you leave the house?

Helpful.

• Advertisement
Advertisement