Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Snymans are(n't) Forever

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

phog wrote: »
    As I thought would happen. Cooney called up to Irish squad for the trip to Paris as there's an injury concern for JGP

That doesn't stop Casey travelling as part of the extended squad or being involved in some of the later games.
    It's only a matter of time before he's in the 23 to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,004 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

That doesn't stop Casey travelling as part of the extended squad or being involved in some of the later games.

I completely agree. I really like the looks of Casey. He’s only lacking experience. Murray should be under pressure by the end of this year and next year should be a serious battle for the Munster 9 jersey.

He seems really lively compared to Murray and he’s not afraid to run with the ball and snipe when the opportunity arises. Murray was good for Ireland’s at the weekend though, his pass was generally a lot quicker than previously and they changed the game plan away from interminable box kicks (overall strategy isn’t the scrumhalf’s fault either way). So we’ll have to see if that continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

The Georgia game is the obvious debut for Casey. The question is how many games with Munster he would have to miss in order to be involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,776 ✭✭✭✭phog

The 6Ns finish in Paris so we may well see Casey get a run in the Autumn Internationals but I wouldn't be surprised to have to wait for the 2021 6Ns to be over before we see him get into national squad either.

The Georgia game is the obvious debut for Casey. The question is how many games with Munster he would have to miss in order to be involved.

How many did Cooney miss with Ulster to be in the Irish squad this week?

• Advertisement

How many did Cooney miss with Ulster to be in the Irish squad this week?

I'm just not sure what the rules are with the Ireland bubble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

Shane Daly was available for Munster for last night so the bubbles appear to be allowed mix

Nor am I but Cooney played with Ulster v Dragons and is with Ireland now having not made the original national squad so I think the "bubbles" seem kinda loose between professional players.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭Buer

The 6Ns finish in Paris so we may well see Casey get a run in the Autumn Internationals but I wouldn't be surprised to have to wait for the 2021 6Ns to be over before we see him get into national squad either.

I think your right in that. It's probably doubtful that there's a summer tour next year so he might get capped against Georgia (and there's no certainty that he will be given he's still not even in the full squad yet). That would be a shame as a test against the Pacific Islands would be ideal for Casey to get experience.

Farrell is going to be slow to blood him in, I think. Casey needs to get more time at provincial level before he'll be trusted. He still hasn't really been tested and the elephant in the room will still be his size. You can protect him in a Pro14 game but that's not possible in test rugby. I reckon Farrell is going to want to see him in that intensity before putting him into any sort of first choice 23.

Farrell's background is a defensive coach and I suspect one thing he'll have noticed last night is Casey's attempt at stopping Cardiff's last try. People can give out about Conor Murray all they want but in that situation, the carrier is taken down short of the line.

Buer wrote: »

Farrell's background is a defensive coach and I suspect one thing he'll have noticed last night is Casey's attempt at stopping Cardiff's last try. People can give out about Conor Murray all they want but in that situation, the carrier is taken down short of the line.

Even Murray wouldnt have stopped that in Casey's position last night. The missed tackles earlier in the move caused that try. James Cronin would have a bigger blot on the copybook then Casey for not stopping Halaholo

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,248 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Tomtom364 wrote: »
    Even Murray wouldnt have stopped that in Casey's position last night. The missed tackles earlier in the move caused that try. James Cronin would have a bigger blot on the copybook then Casey for not stopping Halaholo

I'm not sure, personally think I'd back Murray to stop this from here. For one, he might've had the experience to swat down the fending arm (the type of thing we see Earls doing a lot in last ditch / recovery tackles).

530788.png

I'm not too sure. Casey held back too long to be in a position to put him to ground; he tracked the carrier and it was too late when he engaged. When he did, Halaholo simply marched him back and bumped him out of the way.

Cronin definitely should have done better (and his reaction shows he knew it) but Casey was definitely in a position to make a much better attempt than he did. I would back Murray to put the carrier to ground and, if he didn't stop him short, make an effort to hold him up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Size didn't stop the likes of Stringer, Shane Williams, I think if Casey's good enough he'll make it. I like the look of him but it's still very early days, maybe the Georgia match would be a good one for him but I'm as happy to see him continue to get gametime with Munster

leakyboots wrote: »
    Size didn't stop the likes of Stringer, Shane Williams, I think if Casey's good enough he'll make it. I like the look of him but it's still very early days, maybe the Georgia match would be a good one for him but I'm as happy to see him continue to get gametime with Munster

Certainly not saying he's not going to make it. Just that he's not going to be fired into test rugby with abandon or it's simply a matter of time before he's in the Irish 23. It's going to be a slow developmental process and he's also going to have to overcome his size in some way.

Stringer and Williams made it but they also were playing in a different era. Coming through in the late 90s was a very different situation to today when it wasn't unusual to face players of 80kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

obligatory but

EDIT: ****s sake, can never remember the embeds on here. it’s the video of Stringer tackling Lomu. consider yourself owned, Burt.

SECOND EDIT: lol Burt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

World cup winner Herschel Jantjies seems to be getting on ok, similar height to Casey

I think will we see one of Daly or Gallagher at fullback vs the Dragons

Earls was training with the Ireland squad last week, must be close to a return.

Just depends if Ireland want to keep him this week with a possibility of him taking the 23 jersey vs France

• Registered Users Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Also before a "Caseys defence is bad" train of thought begins (not saying it will but worth nipping the bud early) its worth noting that this is the same Craig Casey who Faf/Hughes'd Jordan Joseph during the 20s Six Nations

He should've done better against Halaholo mind, I'm not denying that, but I don't think his size/defence will be an issue.

Gallagher is due a start at this stage. Haley has been a mainstay of the side though so MG may see his first appearance on the wing. He played in the A game that wasn't an A game against Connacht on the wing.

Gallagher is due a start at this stage. Haley has been a mainstay of the side though so MG may see his first appearance on the wing. He played in the A game that wasn't an A game against Connacht on the wing.

Gallagher got a start on the wing Vs Edinburgh

Gallagher got a start on the wing Vs Edinburgh

D'oh.

We'll see who is available on the update tomorrow but I imagine it will be largely same again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Buer wrote: »
    Cronin definitely should have done better (and his reaction shows he knew it) but Casey was definitely in a position to make a much better attempt than he did. I would back Murray to put the carrier to ground and, if he didn't stop him short, make an effort to hold him up.

Murray wouldn't have been in position to make that tackle because he's too slow to get there. ðŸ˜
    If he had been there, he'd have been steamrolled. I never thought of Murray as a particularly physical tackler. He always covered across well and made try savers but round the legs, not the body. My memories of him going high was that he soaked the tackle rather than dominated it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,176 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Clermont and Quins

Could be worse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Full group:

Exeter
    Lyon
    Ulster
    Munster
    Racing
    Bristol
    Quins
    Clermont
    Connacht
    Gloucester
    Toulouse
    Glasgow

Banking on Connacht and Toulouse to do us a few favours

https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2020/10/28/munster-to-face-clermont-harlequins-in-champions-cup/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,655 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Is the draw online anywhere? Couldn't seem to find it

Eod100 wrote: »
    Is the draw online anywhere? Couldn't seem to find it

Zoom call with clubs reps only

• Registered Users Posts: 11,655 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Zoom call with clubs reps only

Thanks. They were promoting video but couldn't see any.

https://twitter.com/ChampionsCup/status/1321451992133390343

Kilcoyne out until after xmas now

Loughman out for 6-8 weeks too

https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2020/10/28/squad-update-munster-prepare-to-face-dragons/

We're in very big trouble at LH. No timeline given for LOC either. We're down to Cronin in the seniors with Wycherley and French from the academy.

Goggin is absolutely luckless and it's rotten timing as he would have been the choice at 13 with Farrell away.

• Advertisement

Wycherley, KOB, Knox, Wycherley, Kleyn, JOD, Hodnett, Coombes;
    Casey, Healy, Sweetnam, DDA, McHenry, Nash, Gallagher

Barron, Cronin, Archer, Holland, Cloete, McCarthy, JJH, Haley

Injured: Scannell, Kilcoyne, Loughman, LOC, Snyman, Cronin, Carbery, Goggin
    Ireland: Ryan, Beirne, POM, Stander, Farrell, Conway, Earls

Dragons are looking as awful as ever so it's an opportunity to bring in the likes of Knox and McHenry. There are tougher games to come in this window.

Edit: I'm not sure if Shane Daly is available or not.

Advertisement