05-03-2021, 14:59   #1
LXFlyer

Iarnród Éireann Strategy 2027 Update

Iarnród Éireann have updated their strategy document which is available here:

https://www.irishrail.ie/Admin/Irish...e_20210114.pdf

Some of the infrastructure improvements outlined (aside from the DART+ programme) include the following up to 2040:
  • 4 tracking Hazelhatch – Kildare and 3 tracking Kildare to Portarlington on Cork Line
  • 3 or 4 tracking north of Connolly to Malahide on Belfast Line
  • Double tracking sections of Intercity network to facilitate reliable services at increased frequencies, with second platforms at existing stations including:
  • Double tracking Portarlington – Athlone
  • Double tracking Maynooth – Mullingar / Longford
  • Double tracking Athenry – Oranmore – Galway
  • Dynamic passing Loops / additional platforms Limerick – Limerick Junction
  • Additional platform at Millstreet on Tralee Line
  • Additional platform at Woodlawn on Galway Line
  • Passing loop between Claremorris and Westport
  • Reconfiguration of Sligo station and passing loop at Ballymote
  • Passing loop at Sixmilebridge on Ennis line

Last edited by LXFlyer; 06-03-2021 at 10:42. Reason: Updated to show that some of these are out to 2040.....
Advertisement
06-03-2021, 09:48   #2
LXFlyer

I'm replying to this post from this Galway-Athenry thread: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/show...p?t=2058116343

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryLips View Post
Frankly, it's hard to see how any more investment in the Dublin-Belfast line can be justified when the service doesn't even warrant hourly frequencies.
Dublin-Belfast certainly would warrant an hourly service, but the reason that there isn't one is that there simply isn't the rolling stock available to deliver it. There are only three Enterprise sets which limits what can be done.

The strategy document above makes it clear that an hourly service is the plan with new rolling stock.

The improvements on the line will also facilitate improved journey times for longer distance suburban services to/from Dundalk and Drogheda that DART+ may not deliver.

Last edited by LXFlyer; 06-03-2021 at 09:52.
06-03-2021, 10:11   #3
Rashers72

Wonder when will we finally see the southbound passing loop at Clongriffin built? Station, platform, and customers all in place over 10 years now, and IE have still not even asked TFI to fund... Northern suburban line has deteriorated so much in recent years, journey times so slow. See so many cars driving now from towns in Fingal each morning.

To be honest, rail transport is filled with so many shiny brochures in the past 20 years. We are so weak on funding and delivery.
Within Fingal for example, what has actual funding in place with delivery dates? The opening line in this brochure already indicates this was prepared 2 years ago @ this stage...
The roof in my local station is full of holes, and despite asking for it to be fixed several times, I am told there is no funding available. If we cannot get the basics right and daily maintenance is so poor, I think TFI might divert the funding elsewhere.

Last edited by Rashers72; 06-03-2021 at 13:15.
06-03-2021, 10:16   #4
kc56

Quote:
Originally Posted by LXFlyer View Post
Iarnród Éireann have updated their strategy document which is available here:

https://www.irishrail.ie/Admin/Irish...e_20210114.pdf

Some of the infrastructure improvements outlined (aside from the DART+ programme) include:
  • 4 tracking Hazelhatch – Kildare and 3 tracking Kildare to Portarlington on Cork Line
  • 3 or 4 tracking north of Connolly to Malahide on Belfast Line
  • Double tracking sections of Intercity network to facilitate reliable services at increased frequencies, with second platforms at existing stations including:
  • Double tracking Portarlington – Athlone
  • Double tracking Maynooth – Mullingar / Longford
  • Double tracking Athenry – Oranmore – Galway
  • Dynamic passing Loops / additional platforms Limerick – Limerick Junction
  • Additional platform at Millstreet on Tralee Line
  • Additional platform at Woodlawn on Galway Line
  • Passing loop between Claremorris and Westport
  • Reconfiguration of Sligo station and passing loop at Ballymote
  • Passing loop at Sixmilebridge on Ennis line
These projects are in the 2040 plan. The 2027 only included 4-tracking Citywest to Heuston.
The 4/3 tracking to Kildare/Portarlington will be key to enabling faster and more frequent intercity and more frequent commuter services but that is still up to 20 years away.
Thanks from:
06-03-2021, 10:42   #5
LXFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc56 View Post
These projects are in the 2040 plan. The 2027 only included 4-tracking Citywest to Heuston.
The 4/3 tracking to Kildare/Portarlington will be key to enabling faster and more frequent intercity and more frequent commuter services but that is still up to 20 years away.
Sorry - you're right - I'll amend the original post.

However I would see some of the enhancements happening far sooner than 2040.

I think you meant Parkwest and not Citywest by the way - that element is part of the DART+ programme.

Last edited by LXFlyer; 06-03-2021 at 10:47.
Advertisement
06-03-2021, 10:47   #6
LXFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashers72 View Post
Wonder when will we finally see the southbound passing loop at Clongriffin built? Station, platform, and customers all in place over 10 years now, and IE have still not even asked TFI to fund... Northern suburban line has deteriorated so much in recent years, journey times so slow. See so many cars driving now from towns in Fingal each morning.
Presumably that will fall under the DART+ programme.
06-03-2021, 11:32   #7
kc56

Quote:
Sorry - you're right - I'll amend the original post.

However I would see some of the enhancements happening far sooner than 2040.

I think you meant Parkwest and not Citywest by the way - that element is part of the DART+ programme.
Yes - Parkwest.

Removing the 2-1 merge at Parkwest inbound will be of great benefit as so many trains, especially commuter, often have to wait or slow at that merge. I recall being on Portlaoise-Heuston trains waiting for 3 intercities to pass. Many ICs are also held at that merge. Not so bad outbound.

I also imaging they might have to change the track order to separate commuter from IC to avoid crossing overs on approach to Heuston. If the northern tracks were allocated to commuter/DART and the southern tracks to IC that would give such a separation slow/slow/fast/fast instead of the current slow/fast/fast/slow. That would give unrestricted access to DARTs to PPT and beyond.
06-03-2021, 12:00   #8
LXFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc56 View Post
Yes - Parkwest.

Removing the 2-1 merge at Parkwest inbound will be of great benefit as so many trains, especially commuter, often have to wait or slow at that merge. I recall being on Portlaoise-Heuston trains waiting for 3 intercities to pass. Many ICs are also held at that merge. Not so bad outbound.

I also imaging they might have to change the track order to separate commuter from IC to avoid crossing overs on approach to Heuston. If the northern tracks were allocated to commuter/DART and the southern tracks to IC that would give such a separation slow/slow/fast/fast instead of the current slow/fast/fast/slow. That would give unrestricted access to DARTs to PPT and beyond.
That is all under DART+ as I said and yes it does involve switching the fast/slow lines around.
23-03-2021, 19:28   #9
Bsharp

The 2027 Strategy was developed to align with committed funding under the current National Development Plan.

Irish rail is hoping to get more funding to deliver the '2040 Plan' projects as soon as possible, and meet Project Ireland 2040 ambitions in the process.
Advertisement
23-03-2021, 20:17   #10
Zebra3

How do they plan to double track west of Maynooth when we've already been told that it's impossible to double track at Kilcock?
23-03-2021, 20:34   #11
LXFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra3 View Post
How do they plan to double track west of Maynooth when we've already been told that it's impossible to double track at Kilcock?
Where has it been said that it is "impossible"?
23-03-2021, 20:47   #12
DaCor

Some info regarding kilcock

https://www.irishrail.ie/en-ie/faqs/...ation,-can-dar

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates.../2020-11-12/4/
23-03-2021, 20:58   #13
LXFlyer

Irish Rail aren't saying that it is impossible in that statement.

They are effectively saying that it wasn't in the original DART+ project scope and the current transport strategy, and as such wasn't considered, but that it may form part of the future strategy if it changes.

Oh and that it would require a lot of work!

That is not the same as impossible.
23-03-2021, 21:09   #14
DaCor

Thats what it sounds like, oh and that it would cost a packet and a half
23-03-2021, 21:28   #15
Zebra3

Quote:
Where has it been said that it is "impossible"?
Yep, they didn't say that, but made loads of engineering excuses not to.

Kilcock is rapidly growing and it really looks like a major mistake not bringing the DART there (even just 50% of the ones that go to/from Maynooth).

The more Kilcock grows, the more disruption the eventual works will bring.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion