Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's your wish list.....

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Wibbs wrote: »
    As for a wish list. I've been looking for one of these for a very long time and when they come up(very rarely) I keep missing out.
    Further to this I may have spotting something similar, though earlier again.. *crosses fingers* :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

BB58 has been ordered and will be here next Monday or Wednesday. They also have a Yachtmaster in stock that they're going to bring out for me to try on. I've considered these before a few times but never scratched the itch so if i like it on the wrist i'll take it too

rolex-yachtmaster-black-dial-18k-everose-gold-rubber-strap-automatic-ladies-watch-268655bksrs.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭893bet

Time wrote: »
    BB58 has been ordered and will be here next Monday or Wednesday. They also have a Yachtmaster in stock that they're going to bring out for me to try on. I've considered these before a few times but never scratched the itch so if i like it on the wrist i'll take it too

rolex-yachtmaster-black-dial-18k-everose-gold-rubber-strap-automatic-ladies-watch-268655bksrs.jpg

I really like that model.....but.....it’s basically the same price as a the rose gold Daytona!

How are they gonna manage you trying it on with the restrictions?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

BB58 has been ordered and will be here next Monday or Wednesday.
    Ohhhh. Now I like the look of that T. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Fitz II

893bet wrote: »
    I really like that model.....but.....it’s basically the same price as a the rose gold Daytona!

How are they gonna manage you trying it on with the restrictions?

Saw people coming out of Weirs today, wouldnt let me in, I wanted to drop off something for the wife to service...but seems appointment only stuff might be happening.

Have to say that if your paying retail on the YM the Rose gold Daytona on oysterflex needs consideration nothing in them pricewise.

I think precious metal Rolex on Rubber is very cool. Here is our friend making the watch difficult to see with italy getting in the way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

This is top of my shopping list at the moment, i've been on the lookout for something for a while now and keep coming back to this. I'll give it 3 or 4 months to see if the prices drop another 1K or so, if not i'll buy at the current rate.

Rolex-Yacht-Master-116651.jpg

3 years later it's still on your mind!

All black and rose gold is a really cool combination, works great

Cienciano wrote: »
    3 years later it's still on your mind!

It was meant to be!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭redlead

Thats one s€xy watch all the same. Theres no way you are going in to collect a BB and not leaving without that!

Fitz II wrote: »
    Have to say that if your paying retail on the YM the Rose gold Daytona on oysterflex needs consideration nothing in them pricewise.

Daytona could be next, i keep coming back to the YM in a way i never have with the Daytona. The one i'm going to take a look at is the 37mm too. 40 is a big watch on my wrist. My AP was almost too big and that was 39mm.
    redlead wrote: »
    Thats one s€xy watch all the same. Theres no way you are going in to collect a BB and not leaving without that!

Even worse, they're coming to my house to give me a look at it. Can't beat that for service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭dinorebel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭mailforkev

As if by magic, a rose gold Yachtmaster has just popped up on Adverts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,709 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Tis kinda nice alright :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

mailforkev wrote: »
    As if by magic, a rose gold Yachtmaster has just popped up on Adverts.

Paging @time

Pity that doesn't work on boards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭athlone573

544740.jpg

When my next rap album gets released...

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?490105-FS-Rolex-Rose-Gold-Yacht-Master-116655-BnP

Is there something going on that there is rose gold YMs flying in all directions

athlone573 wrote: »
    When my next rap album gets released...

Skydweller has to be the best value for money Rolex there is, when you look at the functionality against the price you pay.

Skydweller has to be the best value for money Rolex there is, when you look at the functionality against the price you pay.

Skydweller is deadly....just wish it was a bit thinner. Cal 9001 is quite special, and the command bezel is one of those "why didnt they think of it before" inventions.

the command bezel is one of those "why didnt they think of it before" inventions.
    "They" did. :D And somewhat ironically it was invented by the British watchmaker Harwood. He who also invented the first automatic watch.* Something that Rolex laid claim to in their adverts, until a few years later after some legal pressure they backed away from and apologised to Harwood. Rolex being Rolex they actually used this climbdown in their 1950's adverts putting Harwood's face front and centre. Never miss a trick Mr Wilsdorf. :D

1920's Harwood "command bezel"

545219.jpg

Note no crown. You wind/set the hands using the bezel. The dot window at 6 indicates the mode.

*Wristwatch. There had been attempts with pocketwatches, but the mechanisms were unreliable and the fact a watch in the pocket is moved about far less than a watch on the end of an arm meant they were a dead end.

It looks like AP may have borrowed the old waffle dial from them too. Thats actually a really good looking watch.

It looks like AP may have borrowed the old waffle dial from them too. Thats actually a really good looking watch.

Christ man....dont set Wibbs off again :D Nothing is new under the sun.

• Advertisement

Afaik the unique thing about the AP dial is the way it’s made (video here - https://vimeo.com/34222782) rather than it being waffle pattern per se

Christ man....dont set Wibbs off again :D Nothing is new under the sun.

I think you may need to add an extra stage to the watch collectors graph. Wibbs is moving there, Sun Dials only! 🌞

I think you may need to add an extra stage to the watch collectors graph. Wibbs is moving there, Sun Dials only! ��

Defo level 9

544804.jpg

It's a pretty little thing alright RL. Funny enough it's about the first such waffle style dial I can think of at the moment. After metal dials started to be used more than enamel there had been a brief period of experimentation with all sorts of ornate dials.

The big problem, or rather not big is the size of the watch itself. They ran around 30mm's as was the fashion by the 1920's. Tiny by today's standards and actually tiny by the standards of most of the 20th century(save for another miniaturising trend in the 1980's). 20's stuff with very few exceptions are teeny. The first Rolex Oysters were also 30-32mm. The Art Deco rectangular "Tank" watches could be slightly larger, so 20-25mm wide, but 40mm lug to lug(that continued well into the 80's for Tanks. Large were rare). Even in areas where you'd expect bigger would be better and legibility most important, the very first true divers watch the Omega Marine from 32 was just 25x38.

39cf1a_e2815c37d81b4bf19972c14ce738fae5~mv2_d_1450_1450_s_2.webp

Now these particular watches have strong enough values even today, but even then an early Oyster will run around 3-5K(in the 90's more like 5-10k but then the bubble burst), ditto for the Marine, Harwoods if you can find one, *EDIT* 2-3k around 1k. Small change compared to many mid tier luxury new models, or larger more sought after vintage. What does a brand new basic Speedie cost?

That Harwood is a beauty alright and it's mad to think what if. If he and the company had been bigger, or had been bought out by a larger Swiss brand and marketed more widely, how watches looked and functioned might have been quite different. We may have seen the winding setting crown become old hat, the way the pocketwatch crown and the separate key to wind and set did. The only other times the crown changed was with the Accutrons and some later quartz where they were placed on the caseback and of course when digitals came out and crowns vanished entirely on them(mostly). Even the apple watch has a crown. It's a very useful interaction tool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

There is a lovely looking Harwood on Chrono24 for 1500 from Germany. Engraved case too.

The engraved case thing was very art deco, though more usually found on American stuff. Again and sadly that German one is 29mmX32mm lug to lug. Teeny.

Chrono24 being Chrono24 it's also too dear. Had a dig around previous auctions on the Bay and elsewhere. Non dealer prices? 1000. Vintage values are increasingly widening between dealer notions and what people are actually willing to pay. For the craic I was looking at Omega Marine Chronometers of the 70's a while back. Dealers are looking between 2.5k to 4.5k for the ones on stronger meds. In auctions? 1-1.5k. Heuer Bunds another one. Dealers look for between 4-7K(for the ones on the illegal meds). Auctions? They're solidly a 3-3.5k watch. Forum sales reflect a similar disparity.

And another gold YM.

https://www.adverts.ie/23038091

Whats going on with all the Gold YM's all of a sudden.?

Whats going on with all the Gold YM's all of a sudden.?

Bubble is bursting. Rolex has sent the secret signal to the rose gold YM owners first clearly.

• Advertisement

Bubble is bursting. Rolex has sent the secret signal to the rose gold YM owners first clearly.

Damn :(

545218.jpg

That is a very very nice watch T. Traditional, but with a lot of modernity in the execution and made from an actual precious metal, but still understated, "sporty" and "chic". For me that's the most luxurious Rollie there is. Sure you have the bejewelled Daytonas and the like, but for me they're like comparing Monica Bellucci and some trout pout instagram "model" with more filters than a municipal water treatment plant.

Damn :(

attachment.=545

It’s ok. Market bottomed and is on the way back up. It Rolex remember!

Lovely watch. I like this version, a little small, but I like it a lot. If paying retail I would have plumbed for the rose Daytona personally.

Well on the way to that Patek at retail also! Them not so in demand Rolex are the ones they want to sell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Wibbs wrote: »
    ...and some trout pout instagram "model" with more filters than a municipal water treatment plant.

You've got a very good understanding of Instagram influencers/models there Wibbs - does MrsWibbs know? ;)

...Oh and I have to use Instagram for the Sólás stuff - if you look at my recommendations it's all watches and cat videos :pac:

Thirdfox wrote: »
    You've got a very good understanding of Instagram influencers/models there Wibbs - does MrsWibbs know? ;)

...Oh and I have to use Instagram for the Sólás stuff - if you look at my recommendations it's all watches and cat videos :pac:

Tell me about it, you search for pussy one time and they hound you.

• Advertisement

It’s ok. Market bottomed and is on the way back up. It Rolex remember!

Lovely watch. I like this version, a little small, but I like it a lot. If paying retail I would have plumbed for the rose Daytona personally.

Phew! you had me worried there for a minute.

I tried on a 40mm too and of the two it was the worse fit. its about a mil longer lug to lug from bb58 i picked up too and thats nearly at my the edge of my wrists. I've lost a tonne of weight the past few months so watches look bigger on my wrists now than they did.

IMG-8791.jpg

I considered a Daytona briefly, but i've always wanted one of these more. Daytona would be on my list to have at some point though.

Love the handset on the Tudors. :)
    I've lost a tonne of weight the past few months
    Going on mates of mine you must be one of the few. :D

My wish list recent ebay "find" - 1913 18 jewel top grade Longines in a Borgel case but without pinset, using a fancy negative set all in one crown. Rare as rocking horse poop and only thought to have been patented in 1915 and even then were very rare as they were 3 pounds dearer when 3 pounds meant something dammit! :D - was found by other feckers. :mad: Threw in a snipe of 600 quid with only two bidders and the fecker went for 700 sterlings, add in duty nowadays... :rolleyes: TBH I'd have been happy at a final hammer of 4-500, but 700 is a bit too much IMHO. Considering Tavannes Submarines the "first true waterproof watch" and all that go for 4-500 and they're more important historically. Still, with my gra for Longines... *manly tear* :D

Ah well. Funny enough I've always had way more luck with low ball bids. :confused: If I think a watch is "worth" 1000 and I fire in 1200, no chance, but if I fire in 300 on the same watch... My Longines Ultronic diver was pretty much exactly that. Even then they were hitting over a grand, yet I got it for 280.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Phew! you had me worried there for a minute.

I tried on a 40mm too and of the two it was the worse fit. its about a mil longer lug to lug from bb58 i picked up too and thats nearly at my the edge of my wrists. I've lost a tonne of weight the past few months so watches look bigger on my wrists now than they did.

IMG-8791.jpg

I considered a Daytona briefly, but i've always wanted one of these more. Daytona would be on my list to have at some point though.

Did you recently pick up the Tudor? I’m contemplating picking one up for my birthday and was gonna go used but the prices are close enough to retail. I wanted to ask if you bought it new was there much of a waiting period between order and collection?

I had hoped to call in and put a deposit down on one late last year but with Covid and all that crack I didn’t get near a jewellers :(

Did you recently pick up the Tudor? I’m contemplating picking one up for my birthday and was gonna go used but the prices are close enough to retail. I wanted to ask if you bought it new was there much of a waiting period between order and collection?

I had hoped to call in and put a deposit down on one late last year but with Covid and all that crack I didn’t get near a jewellers :(

I bought them both today. I actually got a better deal on that than a second hand one I was considering. There was no waiting on that one, spoke to Weirs in Monday and got it today.

I’m not too sure about the black, I know they had one there but I wasn’t interested in two black dial watches anyway. They’ll take a deposit over the phone though and can deliver it to you if you decide to go ahead.

It’s a great, versatile watch in either colour though and you won’t lose a tonne on it if you decide to move it on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

I bought them both today. I actually got a better deal on that than a second hand one I was considering. There was no waiting on that one, spoke to Weirs in Monday and got it today.

I’m not too sure about the black, I know they had one there but I wasn’t interested in two black dial watches anyway. They’ll take a deposit over the phone though and can deliver it to you if you decide to go ahead.

It’s a great, versatile watch in either colour though and you won’t lose a tonne on it if you decide to move it on.

Great, thanks for the quick reply. I was worried I wouldn’t be able to get one in time so that has put my mind somewhat at ease :) I’ll give them a call Monday and see what they have in stock.

Do you mind me asking, did you find them ok to deal with in regards to a little bit of discount? When I tried them on early last year the salesman did offer me a few quid off a BB58 but that was face to face, I’m not sure how they are over the phone.

• Advertisement

Given that Time was buying a 25k gold Rolex at the same time I would expect a little movement on the BB58!

I would be interested to know if they offer wiggle room as a stand-alone purchase on the BB58.

Also I wouldn’t think that buying a 3k Tudor will suddenly give you access to a “hot Rolex”, especially from Weirs. I likely to even move the dial on there.

But that’s exactly what they want you think. Go second hand, save a few quid and let the ADs rot is my opinion at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

If you are going to buy a Rolex, do it because you want to wear it and enjoy it. If future value is your concern, stay clear.

There seems to be some superficial signs that access to Rolex is begining to relax and won't be rectified until they artificially limit supply to a greater extent.

Having said that, I do fancy a sub, but I don't buy watches to sell them.

I am eyeing up a Dornbluth and Sohn these days. A 99.1-M customised to my preferences interns of colour and finish. The options are endless interms of customisation. They don’t do enough to sell that IMO and I have had to ask a million questions to figure out what I want and what they can do. They have in the post to me a couple of empty cases and straps to try for size which is a good service. I am a little concerned that they might be a little large for my preference so will have to try and be objective when they arrive.

Catalogue below to feed your eyes.

https://www.dornblueth.com/catalog/Dornblueth-Katalog-EN-Inhalt-min.pdf

Lovely read! My lawyer's eye is twitching seeing their timeline go from 1999 to 2016 to 2010 (pg 19, 22, 23 etc) where they mention how much of in-house movement finishing they do - presumably they mean 2020? Or they probably should put the 2010 in the timeline before 2016 (or is this some sort of German cultural thing I don't understand?)

Edit: I get it now - it's not a timeline - but a sliding scale to indicate how much of inhouse manual work they do on the movement - needed my morning coffee - so the fact that the 2016 comes after the 99 but before the 2010 makes sense now since the 2010 has closer to 100% inhouse work done.

The other thing I noted was after giving such a beautiful look into their watch processes it was kinda jarring to see them going with genuine leather rather than full grain on their straps - not a big deal since straps can be swapped out - but it would be nicer to see them use full grain at their price point so people could get the same excellence with their straps (that presumably have their signed buckles etc.) rather than fiddle around with different straps and potentially trying to remove the signed buckle to add onto a 3rd party strap. Just seemed after they put in all that effort into the beautiful work into the watch to go a little lower in quality for strap seems strange - I can't imagine it's a profit incentive - is it that Geckota doesn't do full grain or perhaps they don't understand the difference between full grain and genuine leather? (I didn't until I started sourcing leather straps myself).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭RMDrive

I am eyeing up a Dornbluth and Sohn these days. A 99.1-M customised to my preferences interns of colour and finish. The options are endless interms of customisation. They don’t do enough to sell that IMO and I have had to ask a million questions to figure out what I want and what they can do. They have in the post to me a couple of empty cases and straps to try for size which is a good service. I am a little concerned that they might be a little large for my preference so will have to try and be objective when they arrive.

Catalogue below to feed your eyes.

https://www.dornblueth.com/catalog/Dornblueth-Katalog-EN-Inhalt-min.pdf

Thanks. That was a pleasant half hour browsing. Enjoy the chase.

De Dornbluth are a super interesting brand. They stick very much to the German aesthetic, but the trick they have is the customisation. I saw them come up from time to time on other forums for sale, but never went for it because that was somebody else's preference, and I know that if I ordered I could have one exactly to my preference, and unlikely anyone else I ever met would have the same one. Price point is attractive also for this level of finishing. Downside is the long wait time (but in this world of Rolex the notion of putting your money down and defiantly getting your watch 7 months later is refreshingly secure) and the fact the movement are reworked rather than in house, but lets be honest here does it matter to the end product?

As far as I know, they send you updates on the progress of your watch which is totally cool also.

De Dornbluth are a super interesting brand. They stick very much to the German aesthetic, but the trick they have is the customisation. I saw them come up from time to time on other forums for sale, but never went for it because that was somebody else's preference, and I know that if I ordered I could have one exactly to my preference, and unlikely anyone else I ever met would have the same one. Price point is attractive also for this level of finishing. Downside is the long wait time (but in this world of Rolex the notion of putting your money down and defiantly getting your watch 7 months later is refreshingly secure) and the fact the movement are reworked rather than in house, but lets be honest here does it matter to the end product?

As far as I know, they send you updates on the progress of your watch which is totally cool also.

Forgot to link the price list.

https://www.dornblueth.com/catalog/Preisliste%202020_Eng-exkl.pdf

Very much a “from” this price. Like a paddy spec car. Once you add the VAT and extras the actually price is a lot higher. Easy go from 4k ex VAT price to a 7k watch.

They do have an in-house movement option at a much higher price. That is the “Quintas” range on the catalogue. And the watch snob in me that I am fighting is telling me to go for that....but it’s much more expensive and you end up at a price point where other brands are to be considered. Rocking a Vacheron today that doesn’t have an in-house movement.

They send updates and in process images. You can also opt to collect your watch and meet the people who made it etc. 8-10 months wait time but that just adds to the anticipation.

Watchfinder video is superb. They could sell snow to the Eskimo’s though.

the fact the movement are reworked rather than in house, but lets be honest here does it matter to the end product?
    +1 The list of "iconic" brands and models that had/have inhouse movements is a small enough one. EG Omega's Moon watch had a Lemania calibre. Now Omega and Lemania were under a group umbrella(with Tissot), but Lemania was separate and also sold movements to other brands. The Rolex Daytona had Valjoux and Zenith movements. Patek bought in movements too and outsourced some of their complications with it. For most of it's history Heuer exclusively used bought in chronograph movements. Made feck all difference to the status of the brands, or the quality of the watches. I suspect "in house" is just as much a marketing thing promoted by some brands to mark them out as more exclusive and to get all their manufacturing under one roof to streamline, control production and reduce internal costs.

Considering Citizen, Seiko and Sea-Gull are all properly "in-house since the beginning" brands :D

Rocking a Vacheron today that doesn’t have an in-house movement.

That's a reworked JLC movement which does somewhat easy the WIS nerves, as JLC has been a movement provider for all the holy trinity over the years :D. But really the purpose of a inhouse movement is to stifle counterfeits or when you want unusual complications or have space or dial layout requirement that off the shelf movements cant satisfy. It doesnt bother me one way or the other. Tudor are in house "designed" but outsource manufacture....Its all a nonsense, really.

• Advertisement
Advertisement