Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What's your wish list.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

^
    Nomos has some tasty stuff, slim cases and lots of colours /options

Ps, have an omega deville myself which I think fits your description. I like as it's a very sleek, understated watch, but by same token I can see how people could be very underwhelmed. They do come on lots of varieties, different colour dials and straps etc

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I'm still hankering after something from Nth/Lew and Huey, but new prices are hitting the >€600 mark so it will have to be used. Vintage Longines asking prices are only going one way, so patience is required.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭893bet

^
    Nomos has some tasty stuff, slim cases and lots of colours /options

Ps, have an omega deville myself which I think fits your description. I like as it's a very sleek, understated watch, but by same token I can see how people could be very underwhelmed. They do come on lots of varieties, different colour dials and straps etc

Yup. Nomos ticks a lot of boxes. Close to pressing the button....

I looked at 300+ watches today in Weirs (by looked I mean though the glass!) and very few interested me. Love a lot of the omegas but all seamasters and speedmasters are just too big for me these days.

One de ville did catch my eye, 41mm I think annual calendar ....and they must wear huge! Might try it on to see another day. There were too many people around today.

I did try the below on! Pretty nice....not 20k nice though!

2ce4ysx.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I like the idea of perpetual calendars, but I don't really like watch winders and if you rotate watches I think they'd be a pain to set.

Cienciano wrote: »
    I like the idea of perpetual calendars, but I don't really like watch winders and if you rotate watches I think they'd be a pain to set.

That would mirror my behaviour and thoughts!
    If I had one it would never be set correct.

Assume that one is sitting in Weirs since 2017....!

20k is a lot. Sales assistance said 5% discount would be available! But she could talk to her manager...

At the same time some old dear was buying a new cartier and the assistant was explaining what an automatic movement was....she asked if she needed to wear it in bed to keep it going!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

893bet wrote: »
    Yup. Nomos ticks a lot of boxes. Close to pressing the button....

I looked at 300+ watches today in Weirs (by looked I mean though the glass!) and very few interested me. Love a lot of the omegas but all seamasters and speedmasters are just too big for me these days.

One de ville did catch my eye, 41mm I think annual calendar ....and they must wear huge! Might try it on to see another day. There were too many people around today.

I did try the below on! Pretty nice....not 20k nice though!

2ce4ysx.jpg

That’s a perpetual calendar. I have a 1993 JLC Master Reveille Perp calendar (bought secondhand) at a Bonhams auction. In theory, it will adjust for each month, leap year for 200 or more years. In practice I don’t eat it enough so i’m Constantly readjusting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

After thinking long and hard about my buying habits I have realised there are lots of pieces I like the look of but are just to thick.

On my wish list but realistically would only tickle an itch for me to then realise they are not for me....

Blue Monaco (too thick)
    Grey Monaco reissue (too thick).
    Grey side of moon (waaaaay to thick)
    Standard speedy or SM Tuesday.....too bloody thick....
    Jlc ultra thin (not too thick....but it’s the grey dial version that really appeals which is only PM and way too €€....second hand is an option I guess).
    Hulk (on the edge of thickness but would live it from a residuals value....can get away with a little extra thickness on a dive watch I think also).
    Glashutte panoreserve......it’s on the edge of too thick! It wears bigger than the size suggests. It’s an amazing watch but why so big!!!

Realistically I am looking for sub 40mm width and 10mm thick.

Any suggestions?

I have to say that I wouldn't have thought the Speedy too thick..

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Not a long list, just rare, 'quirky' rare watches that I'm not willing to pay the going price for!

Seiko SBCM023

fe66b13b1874418ed8721430b918108a.jpg

This hits all the spots for me. I have twigs for wrists.. an 'ahem' Asian sized quartz 'Diver' with perpetual calendar. The ultimate watch for the perpetually lazy, like me!

Watch Report review: https://www.watchreport.com/review-of-the-seiko-sbcm023/

---

Another Seiko quartz.. Seiko said they could not fabricate a smooth sweeping seconds hand *before* the release of the Grand Seiko hybrid mechanism. That seems a bit of an iffy marketing claim.

I'm hypnotised by the motion on the various, very obscure Seiko 'Dolce' watches that came out in the late 80s, early 90s..

I want this model in particular. There is a scale on the watch face to help, seemingly, nurses. Bit of an odd beast, as it has a paper thin leather strap very much reminiscent of a dress watch.

SEIKO 5S21-8A19 SWEEP SECOND PULSE WATCH

There's also a square variant.

Judging by the size and colour styling, these seem to have been marketed towards asian countries.

Any Dolce in near mint condition, on my wrist, will do! ..as long as it has that velvet sweep.

I have to day that I wouldn't have thought the Speedy too thick..

At 14mm I am starting to feeling it is! Looking down at my PO which is 15.5 it feels huge! Appreciate I am in a minority.

The PP and VC I picked up over the last year feel so much more comfortable and versatile to wear.

Marcusm wrote: »
    That’s a perpetual calendar. I have a 1993 JLC Master Reveille Perp calendar (bought secondhand) at a Bonhams auction. In theory, it will adjust for each month, leap year for 200 or more years. In practice I don’t eat it enough so i’m Constantly readjusting it.

Yes it was an annual calendar de ville I was looking at.

That PC JLC is not the one I have on my list. I want the 1363540.
    https://www.jaeger-lecoultre.com/eu/en/watches/master/master-ultra-thin-moon/1363540.html

But will likely settle on the 1368420 due to €€

https://www.jaeger-lecoultre.com/eu/en/watches/master/master-ultra-thin-moon/1368420.html

• Advertisement

I like to think I don't have a wish list just now (!).

In the last couple of years I've sold off a number of decent watches that I wasn't wearing.

Then I added a Grand Seiko Snowflake SBG211 last year when I turned 40, which was a real 'grail' (for want of a better term). Except for one or two that I would probably sell if the opportunity arose (my Planet Ocean perhaps, my Stowa Chronograph more readily) I want to keep the rest of them as they all have some kind of sentimental value attached, and/or they have been discontinued and would be hard to source again.

But I have always had a thing for Reversos, especially the Duoface. I could see myself going for one of those if/when I hit 50. That would be my realistic wish-list.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

https://www.jaeger-lecoultre.com/eu/en/watches/master/master-ultra-thin-moon/1363540.html

https://www.jaeger-lecoultre.com/eu/en/watches/master/master-ultra-thin-moon/1368420.html

Those are lovely; I think I prefer the stainless steel one as I think the dark grey face doesn’t have enough contrast.

Here’s my JLC.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

I've my eye on a tag heur aquaracer with a charcoal strap. Bit out of my budget but I'll find a second hand one at some stage. Beautiful watch, very stylish and not flashy or gaudy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭micks_address

I'm not sure where I'd go next. My Omega at 2600 is more than I ever planned spending on a watch. Right now it's top of my food chain. Is it wrong to wear it every day?

I love the Casio all metal ghock for it's convenience. My steinhart ocean vintage gmt fills my diver slot.. Bulova moonwatch for my Chrono and a stowa marine manual wind.. I'm half tempted to sell everything bar the aqua Terra and gshock. Otherwise I might keep them all and add a pilot watch.. I like the rolex explorer but reckon it's too close in style to the aqua Terra..

Maybe a speedmaster at some point...maybe a birth year one..

I think a period of contemplation required!

I tried on both the 1368420 and the 1363540. Have to admit the 1363540 blew me away in flesh. Different in price between the two is ridiculous given the actual differences. Even my wife stopped rolling her eyes and said it was the nicest watch I have ever tried on!

Marcusm wrote: »

Here’s my JLC.

Wouldn’t be for me but I can appreciate the quality of the piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

My wishlist is currently a 14060(m) sub. I've somehow managed to reserve myself a Tudor Black Bay 58 in a random AD in Berlin I emailed, and will be picking it up in 2 weeks so that will hopefully quell the need for a sub for a while. My collection will then be a BB58, Speedy pro and an Oris big crown pointer date. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

I was sold as soon as i noticed the shark fin minute hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Darwin

While we on a kind of nautical theme, wouldn't mind one of these:

dX5Kh3w.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I always like having some sort of sports watch that I don't mind if it gets a few knocks, so perhaps a Steinhart Ocean 2 or Triton.

But apart from that, there's not much that I am overly pushed about - certainly nothing over 3 figures anyway.

I don't think I've lost interest as such, but am really happy with a watch I got last year so if anything I think I'll be offloading 2 or 3 this year and not replacing them (but I mean it this time).

Eoin wrote: »
    I always like having some sort of sports watch that I don't mind if it gets a few knocks, so perhaps a Steinhart Ocean 2 or Triton.

But apart from that, there's not much that I am overly pushed about - certainly nothing over 3 figures anyway.

I don't think I've lost interest as such, but am really happy with a watch I got last year so if anything I think I'll be offloading 2 or 3 this year and not replacing them (but I mean it this time).

Great place to get to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

While moon watches are quite a thing, I think another avenue of ultimate cool is the watch that was chosen by the CIA for use in the 'Oxcart' programme for pilots that would become known as 'Sled Drivers'.

The Bulova Accutron Astronaut.
    An early tuning fork style electronic watch.
    P5230087.jpg

One of these is firmly on my wish list.

I enjoy using this thread to track my wants! Amazed to read back and see I wanted a PAM.....a decent bit of speedie love (would still take a snoopy definately or ST1 probably) despite now being fiercely anti speedie.....a lot of Monaco love....some strange choices in the recent past.

Many of the watches that were on my list as watches I still admire but will likely never bother buying. So what do I like currently still.

1) I like the ultra thin JLC moon still. Preference for the white gold version but they are 16k plus on the grey market and I could never justify it when that’s Lange money. They don’t come up second hand. Quiet fancy the black stainless steel version below at the right price.

4-B5-B2-CC5-7-FB5-4239-97-DB-D6-C532-BE2-EE4.jpglightshot

2) An AP jumbo would be nice (I think I could live with a two hander like that) but is ridiculous money.
    A 39mm 15300 more accessible or a 37mm 15450. The 37m wears more like a 39mm (allegedly) so would see like the most likely to fit well with me. Preference I think is the white dial. Seems like a very safe option for my collection.

1-F6738-AB-FAB9-43-DE-A081-9-BD843317150.jpg

3) Rosegold is also very much on my radar. In particular a rose gold ALS 1815. Below is a special edition that i might get an option on at some point.

7138-D179-B665-4-F29-828-B-DA5-FCB759-EA8.png

4) Would consider upgrading my overseas 1st gen to the second generation (looks impatiently over at Cyrus). Or might keep both even. I got my one at such a good price it can only appreciate.

5) Def feel like I need some Nomos back in my life. Maybe a tangente in midnight blue (or any of them in midnight blue, or any Nomos). Love the design ques.

28111-B8-B-708-B-47-EA-A538-81-AC43-F79-D28.jpg

https://nomos-glashuette.com/en/tangente/tangente-neomatik-midnight-blue-177

6) A Patek Calatrava with sector dial. Could live with white or rose gold.

4-F0-CC582-ED9-A-4-C6-B-A946-C3-EB578-D14-DC.jpg

Now any of the above would likely be bought to complement my current crop. If I was to go balls out I would consider upgrading my 1815 to a 1815 chrono in Rose gold (a mistake I suspect as white gold would be more versatile.....but damn.) They are a big step up in €€€.

7-A544821-3-AE7-4482-A05-D-5502-FD1-CF152.jpg

E6-C32-EA7-1-F79-4-D04-8099-05-DD4-F30-A481.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,467 ✭✭✭✭banie01

893, you really do have impeccable taste in watches.

I've not scanned through this thread before as I hadn't ever seen it.

I'm glad to see that along with LordDrakul I'm not the only one who wanted an Accutron tho :)

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Some excellent choices there 893bet.

The AP in a 39 wears bigger than you’d imagine, I think the shape of the case makes it seem larger. Would you consider a complication model? The non complications seem more expensive than the chronos at this point.The Dual times seem the best value to me.

That JLC I want to love so badly, it’s technically superb but on the wrist it’s just so underwhelming.

I’m on mobile so will consider my choices and post up my dream collection from my laptop later

banie01 wrote: »
    893, you really do have impeccable taste in watches.

I've not scanned through this thread before as I hadn't ever seen it.

I'm glad to see that along with LordDrakul I'm not the only one who wanted an Accutron tho :)

I think the word impeccable could be replaced with the word boring sometimes as it seems it almost feels like I “dislike” 99 percent of watches.

Time wrote: »
    Some excellent choices there 893bet.

The AP in a 39 wears bigger than you’d imagine, I think the shape of the case makes it seem larger. Would you consider a complication model? The non complications seem more expensive than the chronos at this point.The Dual times seem the best value to me.

That JLC I want to love so badly, it’s technically superb but on the wrist it’s just so underwhelming.
    r
    Getting hands on with the watches above is a challenge in Ireland! I am leaning towards the 37mm though (**** off archie it ain’t the ladies model). Not really into the complicated models though they do seem better value over the three handers.

Time wrote: »
    I’m on mobile so will consider my choices and post up my dream collection from my laptop later

That’s a whole different thread for fantasy collection! This is more for what you are genuinely working towards!

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

That’s a whole different thread for fantasy collection! This is more for what you are genuinely working towards!

In that case it makes it a bit easier.

1) Tudor Black Bay 58 - almost 100% settled on this being my next purchase. Will get one with the extra strap pictured as i'm not a huge fan of the rivets in the bracelet. Makes for a nice everyday watch that can get a bit banged up without issue.

BS-Tudor-Black-Bay-58-review-31_42783524-c935-4599-9f64-b8cb3abe4a15_600x600_crop_center.jpg?v=1598632497

2) Aquanaut Dual Time - have it ordered so its just a waiting game.

image-asset.jpeg

3) Neither of the above are particularly dressy looking, so if i'll probably pick up a JLC Reverso (medium size so no sub dial) or a Cartier Tortue (below) to fill that. Both can be gotten at very reasonable prices second hand. But i'm only 34 so dressy isn't something i would have as a priority either.

market_5784856.jpg

4) As an alternative to the above i'd consider a Montblanc World Timer. Reminds me of the Patek version but at a fraction of the price. I've never tried one though so i suspect they'd be too big for my small wrists.

montblanc-4810-orbis-terrarum-43mm-worldtime-dial-automatic-leather-strap-watch-p18320-33130_image.jpg

I could see myself going for one more spin on the merry-go-round, with a Reverso. Not sure which one. It would be when I turn 50 (fingers crossed like). I am done until then (while away yet).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,670 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

That rose gold als is a stunner 893

Advertisement