Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shop Maynooth

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Some work going on in what was the florists beside 3 Pin Electrical (I nearly wrote "what was the toy shop"... which closed in about 1991!) today

I didn't notice the games (as in Warhammer, etc) shop opening beside the equestrian shop - how long has that been there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Fire1985

warhammer shop my ass. how the hell are these guys making any sort of profit with a donkey shop like that. it just seems that these guys hang out there all day .

On a positive note , what about Picaderos across from credit union?

Lovely food and the staff are great....

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Fire1985 wrote: »
    warhammer shop my ass. how the hell are these guys making any sort of profit with a donkey shop like that. it just seems that these guys hang out there all day .

On a positive note , what about Picaderos across from credit union?

Lovely food and the staff are great....

I just walked past it, didn't go in. My interest in that stuff dates back to Hero Quest not Warhammer!

Heard much the same about Picaderos from a lot of people, not got to get in myself yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

I ate in Picaderos shortly after it opened. I found the food good but the portions are TINY. Poor value for money considering you will have to go to the chipper on the way home. I hope they have improved since I was there.

Former florists is now signed for a shop/cafe/something called "Boss Hogg". I had great difficulty figuring out what its meant to be from what they were doing inside though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

MYOB wrote: »
    Former florists is now signed for a shop/cafe/something called "Boss Hogg". I had great difficulty figuring out what its meant to be from what they were doing inside though.

There's a Boss Hogg in Clondalkin - it's a cafe/greasy spoon type of place. I can only presume this is another branch of same

There's a Boss Hogg in Clondalkin - it's a cafe/greasy spoon type of place. I can only presume this is another branch of same

Different spelling and logo based on what was up when Google passed:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=4+main+street+clondalkin&hl=en&ll=53.320864,-6.3937&spn=0.001029,0.003047&sll=53.322331,-6.4164&sspn=0.000516,0.001523&t=h&hnear=4+Main+St,+Dublin+22,+Ireland&z=19&layer=c&cbll=53.320818,-6.393795&panoid=IphZuf8uRrWn6oyQnsseKg&cbp=12,293.73,,0,0

Could very well still be, though. Could do with a less "posh" cafe in the town centre, something its missing these days since Pickwicks and the predecessor to Greenes went.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭SQ2

Different spelling and logo based on what was up when Google passed:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=4+main+street+clondalkin&hl=en&ll=53.320864,-6.3937&spn=0.001029,0.003047&sll=53.322331,-6.4164&sspn=0.000516,0.001523&t=h&hnear=4+Main+St,+Dublin+22,+Ireland&z=19&layer=c&cbll=53.320818,-6.393795&panoid=IphZuf8uRrWn6oyQnsseKg&cbp=12,293.73,,0,0

Could very well still be, though. Could do with a less "posh" cafe in the town centre, something its missing these days since Pickwicks and the predecessor to Greenes went.

Looked like a coffee machine on the counter from a peek in alright!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Ye its a coffee bar, friend was in there yesterday, said it's just after opening up and still a bit of work needed to be done. But was a nice atmosphere and more importantly the coffee was decent, a lot nicer than any of the coffee elsewhere around maynooth and that it was well worth a visit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

the predecessor to Greenes went.

The Rye.

The best place i have ever been. Lasagne and Chips that you needed to put aside an hour for eating, and a second for digesting. Tea pots for one that lasted for days!

• Advertisement

folan wrote: »
    The Rye.

The best place i have ever been. Lasagne and Chips that you needed to put aside an hour for eating, and a second for digesting. Tea pots for one that lasted for days!

It was the sister cafe to the one in the Glenroyal Centre, she still owns the one in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭RobTheLad

Was in Manor Mills today and see a poster for Holland & Barrett opening in Manor Mills in the old Click.ie unit.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

TheBody wrote: »
    I ate in Picaderos shortly after it opened. I found the food good but the portions are TINY. Poor value for money considering you will have to go to the chipper on the way home. I hope they have improved since I was there.

..er was it the tapas menu you were eating from perchance?;)

They do a nice burrito though, and lovely churros .Also the new chipper (Mama mia?) is quite nice
    (I've a dodgy tum at the moment so sadly I dont get much chance to eat fast food or any nice food! at the mo) , but the fare is pretty decent and quite cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

Dr Bob wrote: »
    ..er was it the tapas menu you were eating from perchance?;)

They do a nice burrito though, and lovely churros .Also the new chipper (Mama mia?) is quite nice
    (I've a dodgy tum at the moment so sadly I dont get much chance to eat fast food or any nice food! at the mo) , but the fare is pretty decent and quite cheap.

No it wasn't the tapas menu, although the portion was almost as small as a tapas portion!!

I've since eaten in Picaderos and didn't find the portions small, if anything the nachos starter was too big.

Tapas menu seems way overpriced.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

I've since eaten in Picaderos and didn't find the portions small, if anything the nachos starter was too big.

Tapas menu seems way overpriced.

tapas portions are to big and overpriced, only eaten there once and was stuffed after 4 tapas which cost almost €25.

food was nice and staff very friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭hapenny

pity boss hogs isnt a sister cafe to the one in clondalkin, best sandwiches in dublin! it is a greasy spoon but the food is excellent and the prices are great, the one in maynooth is just a coffee shop, no delicious food unfortunately!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 SciencesPo

Checked out Boss Hogg recently, great place, very different vibe to the rest of what's on offer in Maynooth, and quality coffee to boot. Adding the awning was badly needed too given the weather we've been getting recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 irishfoodie

was talking to the owners of Boss Hogg yesterday (fantastic coffee by the way) and they said they'll be introducing food soon. Should be serving a small selection of gourmet sandwiches as early as next week and maybe some other breakfast items. Definitely looking forward to seeing what they turn out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Bar guy

Did anyone hear? The previous owners of mantra objected to the renewal of the mantra license last Tuesday, seemingly the guy who owned it stood up in court and told the judge that he had all his loans up to date, and that there were serious issues with mantra. The judge has said he is going to give a full day to hear the case. My dad is a barrister and seemingly he says the old owner will close it down!! Anyone know about this?

• Advertisement

Bar guy wrote: »
    Did anyone hear? The previous owners of mantra objected to the renewal of the mantra license last Tuesday, seemingly the guy who owned it stood up in court and told the judge that he had all his loans up to date, and that there were serious issues with mantra. The judge has said he is going to give a full day to hear the case. My dad is a barrister and seemingly he says the old owner will close it down!! Anyone know about this?

As far as I can tell it has absolutely no planning permission whatsoever - the receivers applied for retention permission last week and there are no planning files for the site since the ones for the interal refit done to the Leinster Arms.

Also, I notice there's now a health food shop called "Finesse" in what was Budgies / the gas shop further back in time. This may dissuade the Holland & Barrett that's still apparently 'opening soon' down in Dunnes.

Also, I notice there's now a health food shop called "Finesse" in what was Budgies / the gas shop further back in time. This may dissuade the Holland & Barrett that's still apparently 'opening soon' down in Dunnes.
    Finesse is going to be more about fitness classes I think, some therapist rooms also. The nutrition and supplement side of it is more of an add on I'm guessing, so H&B shouldn't really effect it. Forgot about the Gas place! You're OLD! :)

I was trying to read the front of the shop while driving past, in the dark. Makes sense as to why the windows seemed frosted then!

And while I'm not *that* old I've just lived here too bloody long. I can remember where virtually every shop in the town *was* in ~1994 from having to do a geography project involving a model of the town, not so sure where they all are *now* though.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭the_big_kahuna

Bar guy wrote: »

To be honest, I hope it is closed down. Awful place. I don't wish for staff to lose jobs or anything, but the place has seriously ruined Maynooth and brought a ton of the wrong kind to the town.

Certain areas of the town already have these kind, we don't need to attract more!! ;)

We have enough bars like the Roost, Brady's, O'Neills etc all within a short disance. Although they are not spectacular, they would be far better if Mantra wasn't there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Article in the Liffey Champion last week about the Mantra licence.

To be honest, I hope it is closed down. Awful place. I don't wish for staff to lose jobs or anything, but the place has seriously ruined Maynooth and brought a ton of the wrong kind to the town.

Certain areas of the town already have these kind, we don't need to attract more!! ;)

We have enough bars like the Roost, Brady's, O'Neills etc all within a short disance. Although they are not spectacular, they would be far better if Mantra wasn't there

I'm not sure it has ruined Maynooth to be honest, in fact I'd be sure that it has been quite a boost for Maynooth.
    Would you rather a night out in the old Leinster Arms followed by the Glenroyal and the mandatory fight on the main road outside the GR, which usually ended up with a wild west like brawl on the main street outside Romayos like the good old days?

With the "wrong" kind come plenty of the "right" kind too remember (whatever your defenition of the right or wrong kind is!)

A good few bars in Maynooth benefit from punters popping in for a few before the nightclub, the restaurants benefit too from pre mantra punters, the taxi drivers... to name a few.

I haven't been in it in ages and prefer not to venture in to it personally, and there was a definate nose dive in the amount of excursions outside of Maynooth since it opened, but it does bring money to the town in a time when there doesn't appear to be much of it around.

SQ2 wrote: »
    I'm not sure it has ruined Maynooth to be honest, in fact I'd be sure that it has been quite a boost for Maynooth.
    Would you rather a night out in the old Leinster Arms followed by the Glenroyal and the mandatory fight on the main road outside the GR, which usually ended up with a wild west like brawl on the main street outside Romayos like the good old days?

I was never in the LA. Never liked the look of the place. It was the Maynooth Hitchin' Post! I was very seldom in the Glenroyal. But this was the main place for the 'wrong' kind as you have explained above by saying Wild West like Brawl :D (brilliant description!!) At least they always went there so it reduced the amount in the main street bars where they couldn't get in ;)

While I do think Mantra was the reason for the Roost sorting itself with a makeover, it took away from the other bars in the town. It's only in the past year to 18 months that people are starting to return to the Roost / Brady's / O'Neills instead (This is not just my observation, I've had many a conversation with locals ;) )

With the "wrong" kind come plenty of the "right" kind too remember (whatever your defenition of the right or wrong kind is!)

I completely agree with this statement, but there wasn't enough of the 'right' kind! It was/is overflow with the 'wrong' kind unfortunately.

A good few bars in Maynooth benefit from punters popping in for a few before the nightclub, the restaurants benefit too from pre mantra punters, the taxi drivers... to name a few.

While I agree it does bring benefit for taxi's, I doubt it brings a significant amount of people who go to restaurants before going to Mantra. A very small minority. Bar's do benefit alright, but with Mantra out of the picture, they would benefit more. The nightclub in Mantra upstairs is piss poor :p

but it does bring money to the town in a time when there doesn't appear to be much of it around.

It's bringing money but I think it is clinging on for life by dropping their clientele age. Remember when it first opened, big bouncers being ar5eholes to everyone :mad: Now they let most people in because they need to get the money to cover costs

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Is Mantra not geared more towards the "young" people?
    I can't seem them and Bradys having the same clientelle but I am open to correction.

• Advertisement

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Is Mantra not geared more towards the "young" people?
    I can't seem them and Bradys having the same clientelle but I am open to correction.

My apologies. By Brady's I am referring to B2

Advertisement