Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
View Poll Results: Who Will The Dems pick in 2020
Harris 43 9.64%
Bernie 105 23.54%
Clinton 19 4.26%
Brooker 8 1.79%
Biden 137 30.72%
Gillbrand 5 1.12%
Oprah! 23 5.16%
Warren 69 15.47%
Klobuchar 5 1.12%
Michelle Obama 27 6.05%
Cuomo 5 1.12%
Voters: 446. You may not vote on this poll

19-09-2019, 18:57   #1426
rossie1977

Latest national polls:

SurveyUSA had Biden leading Trump by 8, Sanders leading Trump by 5, Warren leading Trump by 2, Harris and Trump a tie and Trump leading Beto O'Rourke by 3 http://www.surveyusa.com/client/Poll...a-f512d9ed5d17

Fox News has Biden leading Trump by 14, Sanders leading Trump by 8, Warren leading by 6, Harris by 2
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/fox...ber-15-17-2019
Thanks from:
Advertisement
19-09-2019, 23:50   #1427
Rjd2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossie1977 View Post
Latest national polls:

SurveyUSA had Biden leading Trump by 8, Sanders leading Trump by 5, Warren leading Trump by 2, Harris and Trump a tie and Trump leading Beto O'Rourke by 3 http://www.surveyusa.com/client/Poll...a-f512d9ed5d17

l]
Why are they been asked by Beto? Dude is barely on 2% everywhere, surely Mayor Pete or Yang v Trump is more interesting and more likely (i know its a longshot) to happen.
Thanks from:
19-09-2019, 23:58   #1428
Accumulator

Many polls are way off the mark. Looking at actual 'real world' markets, indicates Hilary (as if) now has a better chance than Beto (<125/1 now). Yang climbing slowly, but steadily into 5th fav. Joe slipping down into 3rd.

20-09-2019, 01:06   #1429
Podge_irl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic Moran View Post
On the flip side, RBG is currently 86, as far as I can tell her mind is still as sharp as a tack, and also as far as I know, there's not a single person on the Democrat side questioning whether she should remain on the bench, creating caselaw which will be a precedent for generations. Why should these people question Bidens' mental capacity unless there is any indication that he has an issue?
To be fair, a supreme court justice doesn't exactly have to deal with the same working conditions, stress levels and "immediacy" that a president does.
Thanks from:
20-09-2019, 05:59   #1430
Manic Moran

OK, I'll grant you that. Not that many of these same folks weren't going after Kavanaugh when get got a little heated under questioning, despite that he won't be under such conditions when on the court either.
Advertisement
21-09-2019, 16:28   #1431
vetinari

Kavanaugh got very heated, I'm guessing RBG wasn't as heated at her confirmation hearing.
21-09-2019, 17:43   #1432
Manic Moran

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetinari View Post
Kavanaugh got very heated, I'm guessing RBG wasn't as heated at her confirmation hearing.
Unlikely. Back then, people worried about whether or not a judge was qualified a lot more than they worried about the politics of the people nominating them, and she certainly wasn't being accused of anything. She was passed 96-3, meaning 40 Republicans voted for her.

Won't see that happening again any time soon.
21-09-2019, 18:26   #1433
StringerBell

Not a chance, when you have hyper partisan stints like refusing to confirm or even grant a hearing to a presidential nomination. McConnell has left a big mark on US politics
(3) thanks from:
21-09-2019, 19:26   #1434
Manic Moran

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
Not a chance, when you have hyper partisan stints like refusing to confirm or even grant a hearing to a presidential nomination. McConnell has left a big mark on US politics
He's not alone.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2016/0...t-sot-erin.cnn

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...67c_story.html

The problem dates back, firstly, to the Reagan years, when Borking resulted in Judges trying to refuse to comment on how they would rule for fear of political repercussions, and then to the slow and stead move towards the nuclear option and refusal to vote.

Not that the latter is entirely unprecedented, there was an unfilled seat for nearly two years in the 19th Century when the Senate had taken issue with the President.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
22-09-2019, 08:48   #1435
StringerBell

I in no way suggest that McConnell is the first of his kind of politician but surely you would agree that he has been very good at it?

He stands head and shoulders above any in my memory anyway that for sure.
22-09-2019, 10:19   #1436
pixelburp

Quote:
I in no way suggest that McConnell is the first of his kind of politician but surely you would agree that he has been very good at it?

He stands head and shoulders above any in my memory anyway that for sure.
He is the apotheosis of where American politics has been headed for the last umpteen decades. In a viciously bisected structure, it was only a matter of time before a canny bàstard like McConnell saw the chance to lead government by the nose through manipulation and legislative sorcery. What makes McConnell particularly bad is that he's open about, on the record on numerous occasions admitting his raison d'etre was to obstruct, mutate or just kill bills not in his (or party's) interest. Combine that with the "sealion" defence of feigning civility when democrats or journos call our on what is slowly becoming a minority led country. It's outright Machiavellian.
(2) thanks from:
28-09-2019, 19:46   #1437
Rjd2

https://twitter.com/IbrahimAS97/stat...19744096559110

Think the Sanders v Warren face of will get more heated over next year. The establishment have clearly warmed to Warren so expect the usual Clinton lines of attack v Bernie.
29-09-2019, 08:57   #1438
StringerBell

I think they are slowly starting to come around to Warren being the best candidate. I haven't listened but MSNBC aren't exactly the best and that comment if correct is just nonsense.

She has a great ground game, has great debating style and still manages to come along with that folksie feel despite being clearly highly intelligent.

I called Warren as the candidate a long time out and her momentum keeps on churning, I think Sanders will endorse her next year after they work out a deal. It's the VP position I'm still completely lost on to fill the ticket.

Mayor Pete for a long shot?
(2) thanks from:
29-09-2019, 10:07   #1439
everlast75

Quote:
Maybe Beto to take Texas.

Harris for A.G.

Would expect Pete to get a high profile role
29-09-2019, 21:58   #1440
eire4

Quote:
I think they are slowly starting to come around to Warren being the best candidate. I haven't listened but MSNBC aren't exactly the best and that comment if correct is just nonsense.

She has a great ground game, has great debating style and still manages to come along with that folksie feel despite being clearly highly intelligent.

I called Warren as the candidate a long time out and her momentum keeps on churning, I think Sanders will endorse her next year after they work out a deal. It's the VP position I'm still completely lost on to fill the ticket.

I have been wondering about that possibility for a while. Warren and Sanders if they both stay in the race on the Democratic side would split a lot of votes between them and probably cost each other a very good shot at the nomination. I think if indeed one of them at some point before the primaries actually begin or early enough in them steps down and endorses the other then they have a very good chance of actually being the Democratic nominee. As you say right now Warren seems to be the more likely of the 2 but the first primary is still not until February so I do not think this will happen until at the earliest January.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion