Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fake Taxi caught by Gardai

Options
  • 06-03-2016 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭

A fake taxi was caught by the Gardai on friday night.

It had a fake roof sign, fake door stickers, no NCT the car wasnt taxed and the driver was banned from driving.

Yet when caught he had a fare ( a lone female passenger).
    The response the Gards are giving out is that people should download the driver app.
    But from experience this app is not always up to date and is frequently "out of service"and the reality is when people are half pissed after a night out the last thing they will do is go to an app to verify a drivers ID.

Theres obviously something seriously wrong if someone (this driver) can get a fake roof sign and door stickers.
    You would be naive to believe there was only one "fake taxi out there.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Mr.Frame wrote: »

It had a fake roof sign, fake door stickers, no NCT the car wasnt taxed and the driver was banned from driving.

Yet when caught he had a fare ( a lone female passenger).
    The response the Gards are giving out is that people should download the driver app.
    But from experience this app is not always up to date and is frequently "out of service"and the reality is when people are half pissed after a night out the last thing they will do is go to an app to verify a drivers ID.

Theres obviously something seriously wrong if someone (this driver) can get a fake roof sign and door stickers.
    You would be naive to believe there was only one "fake taxi out there.
    There are quite a few around but Gardai can't place it very high on their list of priorities due to their workload at weekends especially in town and city areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

How did they cop it ? Driver not complaining enough ?

......dials 999

"Hi, I just got a taxi home and he wasn't complaining at all "

--"Sounds dodgy - we'll send a car straight away"

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Stephen Gawking

Many places in & around Parnell Street can supply counterfeit taxi signs & other paraphernalia. Read into that what you will but it's the reason why services like Hailo & Uber became so popular but as a previous poster said someone pi$$ed out of their mind at 3am isn't likely to use these services or the taxi check app.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

I have heard a good few dodgy taxis live in a place that sounds like Mosnia.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,905 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Gas that that particular taxi was copped just there, just at the right time.

Meanwhile burglars and scumbags are making other people's lives a misery all the time and they cannot be found because of lack of resources.

Something smells odd here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

I have been to China.When you got into a taxi at the airport or a large train station. There was a camera that recorded the reg. I dont know if it was for safety or because the Chinese love to monitor their people.

I think the Gardai/Revenue should have the same here. If you put them on the main roads that link the crossing of the city eg O'Connell Street, Capel St, Church St. You could identify sham taxis pretty quickly cross referencing the data base of PSV. You could also bring in revenue for the state if you made it impossible to cross the city without being picked up by a camera and notifying Revenue of cars being driven without tax/nct/insurance.

Although I cant imagine some people being happy about the state getting details on peoples movements. But Irish people dont care about that data like Germans or Swiss

Meanwhile burglars and scumbags are making other people's lives a misery all the time and they cannot be found because of lack of resources.

Burglars and scumbags don't have a registration plate on their arse that you can run through a computer as you drive behind them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

link op,have an interest

• Registered Users Posts: 11,309 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

We don't know the full facts. Could well be the passenger was suspicious and reported it. In which case a very valid use of resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,309 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

link op,have an interest

http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0305/772845-bogus-taxi-driver/

No update from when I read that this morning so may be more recent articles with more details elsewhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I come across plenty driving dangerously and don't get touched.

Always reminds me of the guys on rte with the beat up punto and a cardboard roof sign with taxi written on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Car with anpr probably sniffed it out.

No tax bing cha Ching.
    No nct cha cha cha Ching.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

So you expect gardai to stop all crime everywhere at the same time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭phobia2011

Mr.Frame wrote:

Mr.Frame wrote:

Didn't by any chance have a camera man on board as well?

All the rage these days........apparently!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I thought this was going to be about a different kind of Fake Taxi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I thought this was going to be about a different kind of Fake Taxi

Thats what made me click the link....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

link op,have an interest

As reported throught their Twitter feed.

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/706059198346498048

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/706059638995820545
    it's the reason why services like Hailo & Uber became so popular

What securities do Hailo and Uber provide to ensure Taxis are legit? Can an illegal Taxi get onto it somehow helping them appear more legit I wonder? (I'm not familiar with the requirements to be a signed up driver with them so apologies if it's a silly question).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Crimsonforce

The app driver check for android and iOS allows you to check a car,plate or drivers details instantly. I read about it today.
    So I downloaded it, taxi was sitting in front of me in traffic and I put the plate number in and up pops no driver is designated to drive this plate.. so it could have been anyone driving with a fake taxi id.

Imagine the amount of these out there..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

gctest50 wrote: »
    How did they cop it ? Driver not complaining enough ?

......dials 999

"Hi, I just got a taxi home and he wasn't complaining at all "

--"Sounds dodgy - we'll send a car straight away"

" He started talking about the benefits of a multicultural Ireland and how feminism doesn't get a fair shake, it was so creepy... "

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

The reporting has suggested that only fake taxi drivers are capable of rape, which is bizarre.

• Advertisement

Effects wrote: »
    So you expect gardai to stop all crime everywhere at the same time?

Of course I do, that is what they are supposed to do.

They managed out of all the thousands of taxis in Dublin on that night to catch this one. Meanwhile, back at the ranch robbers are going at it hammer and tongs everywhere. Yeah.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

GM228 wrote: »
    What securities do Hailo and Uber provide to ensure Taxis are legit? Can an illegal Taxi get onto it somehow helping them appear more legit I wonder? (I'm not familiar with the requirements to be a signed up driver with them so apologies if it's a silly question).

When a driver requests to join Uber/Hailo, they have to go have an interview with Uber/Hailo staff and bring along their driving license, PSV license, etc. and their photo is taken for use in the app.

Now that doesn't guarantee that the taxi driver hasn't given his taxi to another person who isn't licensed. That has happened in the past, however if the user reports it then the taxi is usually banned from Uber/Hailo.

Of course it also doesn't guarantee that the driver won't attack/rape. But it is certainly WAY safer then just picking some random "Taxi" up off the street.

They managed out of all the thousands of taxis in Dublin on that night to catch this one. Meanwhile, back at the ranch robbers are going at it hammer and tongs everywhere. Yeah.

Garda Traffic Corps look after traffic matters, such as fake taxis. Operation Thor is responsible for tackling burglary gangs.

pablo128 wrote: »
    Garda Traffic Corps look after traffic matters, such as fake taxis. Operation Thor is responsible for tackling burglary gangs.

So one branch is better than the other so. Or has more funding, or is on message on site in the capital. Right so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭stoplooklisten

foil both operations by using a fake taxi to carry out burglaries

foil both operations by using a fake taxi to carry out burglaries

That is a subversive comment and should be sent fortwith to Garda Headquarters with a dozen doughnuts.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I'm sorry but this has to be some of the most idiotic things I've ever read!

This sort of thing is absolutely what the Gardai should be on the look out for. We have no idea why this person was criminally pretending to be a Taxi driver. He could easily have been planning to rape/rob/murder the poor girl he had in the cab.

I think any father would be delighted to hear that the Gardai are on the look out for this sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Burglars and scumbags don't have a registration plate on their arse that you can run through a computer as you drive behind them.

Someone should look in to that:D

bk wrote: »
    I'm sorry but this has to be some of the most idiotic things I've ever read!

This sort of thing is absolutely what the Gardai should be on the look out for. We have no idea why this person was criminally pretending to be a Taxi driver. He could easily have been planning to rape/rob/murder the poor girl he had in the cab.

I think any father would be delighted to hear that the Gardai are on the look out for this sort of thing.

You don't get tongue in cheek do you?

We don't know that the passenger wasn't an undercover cop do we?

And to reply, Robbers and invaders of law abiding citizen's houses should be absolutely what the cops should be on the look out for too. Just to balance it out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

bk wrote: »

Of course it also doesn't guarantee that the driver won't attack/rape. But it is certainly WAY safer then just picking some random "Taxi" up off the street.

Using Hailo and the likes also has the great advantage of knowing taxi/driver details if you leave your phone or laptop behind.

Advertisement