Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fake Taxi caught by Gardai

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

The app driver check for android and iOS allows you to check a car,plate or drivers details instantly. I read about it today.
    So I downloaded it, taxi was sitting in front of me in traffic and I put the plate number in and up pops no driver is designated to drive this plate.. so it could have been anyone driving with a fake taxi id.

Imagine the amount of these out there..

The information on the app and the NTA site is often very out of date.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

Don't Google fake taxi in front of your other half, just saying

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭stoplooklisten

http://www.sundayworld.com/news/news/deals-on-wheels-taxi-driving-drug-lords-passengers-at-risk

Meet the convicted Nigerian cocaine trafficker who is flouting the law by driving a taxi round Dublin without a PSV licence.
    Efforts to deport Yemi Moshood Olatunde from Ireland to Italy, where he faces a 22-year sentence for cocaine trafficking, failed last September.

Is this the same guy or a different guy?

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Mr.Frame

bk wrote: »
    I'm sorry but this has to be some of the most idiotic things I've ever read!

This sort of thing is absolutely what the Gardai should be on the look out for. We have no idea why this person was criminally pretending to be a Taxi driver. He could easily have been planning to rape/rob/murder the poor girl he had in the cab.

I think any father would be delighted to hear that the Gardai are on the look out for this sort of thing.

I disagree. Spanish Eyes does make a very valid point.
    Of all the 1000s of taxis in Dublin working that night , only ONE was caught

Can you remember any time in recent months or years when the Gards announced they caught an illegal taxi working ?

Ask any taxi driver who works in Dublin ( or any county) and they will tell you they see illegal taxis working the streets on a daily/nightly basis and despite reporting them via the "app" nothing is done about it.

Whenever the regulators enforcers are out in force ( which is seldom) on a given day/night, you will notice a huge number of taxis that stay off the streets at that time.

What does that tell you ? It shows that many have something to hide.

As for saying the illegal driver who was stopped might have been planning to rape the girl or murder her is sensationalist and should be left to the tabloids.
    The Gardai said nothing of the kind in relation to the arrest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Mr.Frame wrote: »
    I disagree. Spanish Eyes does make a very valid point.

Only one was reported caught. There may well have been more. Publicising it might also dissuade others from doing it. Wishful thinking maybe, but there you go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,448 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

What always shocks me is when a Taxi is robbed there's no massive public alert system campaign like the child abduction system to alert the public that a dodgy cab is driving around and potentially plying for trade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

You don't get tongue in cheek do you?

We don't know that the passenger wasn't an undercover cop do we?

And to reply, Robbers and invaders of law abiding citizen's houses should be absolutely what the cops should be on the look out for too. Just to balance it out.

How do you know there were no burglers caught that night as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

I think it was the lack of tax which caught the Taxi, one thing led to another, a Taxi with up to date tax/insurance would slip under the radar a lot easier.

I also suspect the ratio of fake taxis to lack of tax for example is very low and an awful lot of people slip by without tax so it's very reasonable to believe the chances of catching a fake Taxi are very low.

For example if one in ten people are caught for no tax on a particular night then it is reasonable to catch say 10 people in a given night out of a possible 100 on the road, so if 1 in 10 fake Taxis are caught and there are only 10 anyway then it's reasonable to see only 1 will be caught.

It may very well be possible it was the only fake Taxi out there at the time.

Is there any estimates of how many fake Taxis there may actually be?

Even if Gardaí specifically checked for legitimate Taxis each one checked in a particular check point may be legit in a particular location or on a particular night.
    Can you remember any time in recent months or years when the Gards announced they caught an illegal taxi working ?

Over a 100 "dodgy" drivers caught last year alone in a clampdown. No doubt many were illegal Taxis.

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/over-100-dodgy-taxi-drivers-6990606

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

Fair play to the guards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

http://www.sundayworld.com/news/news/deals-on-wheels-taxi-driving-drug-lords-passengers-at-risk

Meet the convicted Nigerian cocaine trafficker who is flouting the law by driving a taxi round Dublin without a PSV licence.
    Efforts to deport Yemi Moshood Olatunde from Ireland to Italy, where he faces a 22-year sentence for cocaine trafficking, failed last September.

Seems a little coincidental that this story appeared in the Sunday World website the same day , maybe the Sunday World could go out and identify other bogus taxis for the gardai to catch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

This thread is the first time I've ever seen a story about the guards doing their jobs presented as evidence that the guards aren't doing their jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,206 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

cdebru wrote: »
    Seems a little coincidental that this story appeared in the Sunday World website the same day , maybe the Sunday World could go out and identify other bogus taxis for the gardai to catch.

the sunday world have been reporting on this guy for some time now. The italians have been trying to deport him back to italy to serve a 22 year sentence for dealing drugs. so not really much of a coincidence

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

No its a different guy. The guy who was caught in Bride Street in a fake taxi with no insurance psv etc just got handed a €600 fine and community service.

He was already off the road having been caught driving a taxi with no insurance previously.

You couldn't make this stuff up. I see that the judge is one of those solicitors who was appointed by government!

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/fake-taxi-driver-given-community-service-and-fined-600-727413.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

STB. wrote: »

You couldn't make this stuff up. I see that the judge is one of those solicitors who was appointed by government!

[/URL]

Eh... all judges are appointed by the government.

Advertisement