Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

West-By-Bus: A New Group to campaign for bus transport in the West

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Neworder79

The problem is nothing to do with the airport parking or taxis, it's down to Bus Eireann and the DOT. The airport chairman has been in the media complaining about it several times:

"We are heading for the longest wait for a bus in history, because these inter urban services were meant to connect with the airport in 2005 and nothing has happened since.”

http://www.advertiser.ie/mayo/article/14068

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

jkmanc1974 wrote: »
    The bus stop in Claremorris is being moved to the Railway Station from its current location shortly apparently now that the swimming pool is open(where buses stop at present)
    indeed

from Mayo Advertiser APRIL 10, 2009.
    With the impending opening of the new swimming pool in Claremorris, Fianna Fáil councillor Pat McHugh questioned the feasibility of moving the bus stops in the town from their current locations beside the swimming pool and the church to beside the train station, at this week’s local electoral area committee.

We now have a large car park beside the train station which is underused and it would be the prefect location for the bus stop in the town and would lead to an interlinking of the two items of public transport in the town.”

Cllr McHugh’s suggestion received positive support from the council executive with director of services Seamus Granahan telling the meeting: “We’ll definitely make contact with CIE to talk about this, it’s something that we should have a look at.” Senior engineer Tom Ferrick also spoke favourably of the suggestion.
    http://www.advertiser.ie/mayo/article/10834

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jkmanc1974

JustMary wrote: »
    How much clout do taxi drivers have in Irish society?

I can't help but wonder if some of the madness is due to their fear of losing business? (eg they must make a killing on Galway airport).

Agreed ref the Galway airport point - used to get charged 30 Euro from the airport to Athenry every 2nd Friday night at one stage.....

Brgds
    Johnny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 gunbarrel

I hope the OP goes ahead and sets up a lobby group for improved public transport in the West. Some of the articles posted on here have shown that such a group is definitely needed to support Knock's call for buses to stop there and Claremorris' decision to relocate the bus stop to the train station. As these issues arise there is definitely a need for a public voice to be heard.

I was reading this article earlier which outlines many of the difficulties that the Government or Government companies have thrown Knock's way. Despite these obstacles Knock has experienced continued growth and has recently added yet another route, to Leeds-Bradford, which will commence in March. Imagine how well they could do if the Government would give them a fair crack of the whip:

http://www.irelandwestairport.com/utility/news_details.aspx?id=169

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Lets not forget that NO western backbone system can be up and running until Claregalway is bypassed. With the bottleneck that that town is, there is too much unpredictablility in journey times.

Lets not forget that NO western backbone system can be up and running until Claregalway is bypassed. With the bottleneck that that town is, there is too much unpredictablility in journey times.

That is a very valid point Chris but if the M17 is to go ahead as schedule then the planning needs to start well in advance to ensure that these services can be up and running from day one.

In the meantime I think that a lobby group should be formed by Western Residents to campaign for these better services. A start would be to get the regular bus services to stop at Knock though that is far from the long-term solution.

Edit: I dont know the rules and regulations and dont want to overstep the mark here but could I suggest that a link to this thread be placed on the forums for the Western Counties as it will affect all of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

The thing is though that bus services HAVE to serve towns of some sort, simply because the west doesnt produce a critical mass of people going north of Galway to use a motorway the whole way.

That means that buses will likely go through Claregalway. Now the M17 wont solve the Claregalway problem, but the relief road will. So that needs to be done too.

The thing is though that bus services HAVE to serve towns of some sort, simply because the west doesnt produce a critical mass of people going north of Galway to use a motorway the whole way.

That means that buses will likely go through Claregalway. Now the M17 wont solve the Claregalway problem, but the relief road will. So that needs to be done too.

I am sure you are right about the need for a Claregalway relief road but a backbone service is not intended to serve every town. It is intended to serve key towns and connections. The backbone service we were dicussing is intended to serve the key towns along the West. If you were serving Galway, Tuam, Claremorris, Knock Airport, Sligo, Donegal Town, maybe Letterkenny, Derry and Derry Airport, with a fast and reliable bus service which was supported by good connections to smaller towns and large towns off the route, then you would have plenty potential for customers. As an example, when the M17 is built you should be able to get from Galway to Knock Airport with only 2 stops in little more than 1:15. If that is a reliable service then there is lots of potential for customers doing that route alone before counting in all the other permutations.

And as far as populations go, a good reliable bus service can only add to the potential for growth.

A small article in todays Mayo Advertiser about Bus Eireann applying to change routing of Westport/Castlebar services to connect to Ireland West airport. Given tha the Irish Rail early-bird train was cancelled just a month after it was announced I won't hold my breath.

http://www.advertiser.ie/mayo/article/17045

Suspiciously there's no mention of the 64 Galway - Sligo route originally planned. There has been a lobbying by local politicians and the airport in the last 5 yeas, Bus Eireann seem to put the blame on the DOT, why would there be such resistance to adding a single bus stop that would integrate services at no extra cost! It will be interesting to see if the new National Transport Authority brings more transparency to the process.

Serfboard - not sure if you have given up on the idea but I think there is a need for the public to press our representatives and point out the practical transport solutions and cheaper alternatives to the WRC.

ProposedIntigratedBusNetwork_WestRe.gif

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Nice Map, can you add Cork in and maybe remove Tuam for space before Mysterious gets his hands on it :D

Also show services west of Letterkenny and west of Donegal ( Tuam has no radials of note)

Neworder79 wrote: »
    ProposedIntigratedBusNetwork_WestRe.gif

Recent response to a question on the issue by the Minister Noel Dempsy points back to Bus Eireann again...

Q - Ulick Burke (Galway East, Fine Gael):
    The bus service provided by Bus Éireann in the west is particularly bad. In 2005 Bus Éireann agreed to commence providing a range of services between Knock Airport and the surrounding towns. The Minister and his Department were lobbied in respect of this matter. In March 2007 - oddly enough, prior to the general election - the department decided to sanction the provision of such services. To date, however, a service to the airport has not been provided. Will the Minister indicate the position with regard to this matter?

A - Noel Dempsey (Minister, Department of Transport; Meath West, Fianna Fail)
    The matter to which the Deputy refers is extremely specific in nature. If he tables a parliamentary question in respect of it, I will endeavour to obtain the information he requires. If it took two years to process the application - I have no reason to doubt the veracity of the Deputy’s claims in that regard - then information must have been outstanding and this prevented the making of a decision. The fact that, two years after the licence was granted, bus services are not being provided, indicates to me that the fault may not lie with the Department.

Advertisement