Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bookies reopening

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Messi19 wrote: »
      To be fair I'm not surprised they're closing. Nipped in to paddys yesterday to get a quick bet on but was surprised to see a few people hanging around and surprised that they were showing the racing. That's probably the problem

They are not gonna stop showing the racing lad!
      The vituals will still be off every 2 mins also
      none of that will change
      its still a bookies!

Was in local boyles myself and found it a very good set up and no drama

The Plot Thickens

Major bookmakers Paddy Power and Ladbrokes were forced to close their retail outlets in Ireland on Tuesday following direction from the government. BoyleSports and independent firms are permitted to remain open.

It is believed the reason Paddy Power and Ladbrokes have been closed down just 24 hours after reopening their doors to the public is related to their company status.

Although there is no clarity on the details at the moment, it has been suggested their constitution as Public Limited Companies is central to the issue, with the phase two lifting of coronavirus restrictions that kicked in on June 8 catering for retail outlets.

There is some speculation Paddy Power and Ladbrokes are instead classified as hospitality rather than retail.

The closures are reported to have been initiated after a number of complaints were made by the general public on Monday. The operators are seeking clarity on the matter from the government, but the extended closures will add to the pressure on firms and staff in such a challenging economic climate.

Some sources have suggested that trade on Monday was unexpectedly slow in Irish shops, with one retail source suggesting turnover was down 70 per cent on a normal Monday.

The same source suggested the various public health measures and protocols worked well, and that the social distancing restrictions allowed for 20 customers in what is a large premises at any one time. Despite that, footfall and trade was not what had been anticipated.

I wonder if the complainant was a Mr.Boyle !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭lemush

Ladbrokes head office have made decision to close.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Messi19

They are not gonna stop showing the racing lad!
        The vituals will still be off every 2 mins also
        none of that will change
        its still a bookies!

Was in local boyles myself and found it a very good set up and no drama

There's not a lot more that they can really do so it's strange that they've closed saying they need more safety measures. Fair point re the racing on the tv and virtuals. It was a decent sized shop I was in and we'll marked out for social distance. In one door and out the other

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Would love to get my hands on a curtain twitcher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

My local PP opened yday for 1st time since March. But today is closed again. What happened??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭hurikane

When I worked for Paddy Power some years back, there was a holding company, Power Leisure. I’d imagine it’s related to that.

Drivetime RTE saying bookies are specifically prohibited from opening
        might all be closed tomorrow so collect today!!

So much unnecessary uncertainty

Not fair on the staff and punters!

• Advertisement
      • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,251 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Isn't it all a mess , it was supposedly from last Monday the 8th they could open if they wanted .

Bookies said no we will wait until the 15th .

Nothing from government to say actually you's can't open the 8th or 15th

Then 1 day later after they open it turns out they aren't allowed to open , why weren't they told this a few weeks ago by a government official .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Think bookies jumped the gun , didn't want to miss out on Ascot

Hearing Boyles staying open

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Banner fights back

I dearly love the above comment to be true rog but Sharon Byrne from the Irish bookmakers association has confirmed to the racing post this evening that any licensed bookie that opens tomorrow are in her and the governments word that "they will be breaking the law".

Most disappointed but a bit of me isn't surprised when you have Heather Humphreys at the wheel as Business minister. Absolute waster she is IMO.

You'd wonder how Barone were able to open for a full week before today and nothing was said .

Not opening now apparently..

• Advertisement

Up to this evening Boyles were opening in morning
        As of this evening it now seems the workers are to come to work, but doors will be closed
        Lads what a clusterf*ck this is
        Back to online it is so

Absolute joke so it is

I'd be kinda surprised if Bar One are open in the morning too. Load of sh*te

If boyles don't open Bar One won't Andy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭lemush

Boyles are not opening tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Banner fights back

Here in Clare we only have had one covid19 case in 13 days. The risk is over for the moment. No second wave yet.

Compare that to England. All bookies are allowed to open from yesterday even considering the basket case job that BoJo and his right wing Tories with their covid 19 response.

It's a sham and a whitewash from the govt if they claim that they did no wrong in this mess. Complete miscommunication between the relevant department and the IBA.

The other big question is whether it was the case that the IBA did jump the gun on the early reopening of Irish bookies.

So many unanswered questions. What we do know is this further delay of the reopening with present more financial headaches for already beleaguered independent bookmakers in particular.

• Advertisement

'Britain At The Bookies' on virgin two now

If I win the €1million max payout on my Premier league football bet, that I lodged cash in the shop on Monday to my online account from where I placed the bet, so when I win can they say the shop was illegally open meaning cash lodgement and subsequent bet is void?? I guess not but who know what happens when you get this big win!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

If I win the €1million max payout on my Premier league football bet, that I lodged cash in the shop on Monday to my online account from where I placed the bet, so when I win can they say the shop was illegally open meaning cash lodgement and subsequent bet is void?? I guess not but who know what happens when you get this big win!!
        You'll be grand when it comes up. You can give me a few grand for putting your mind at ease. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

this country really is a joke, pushing people to online gambling and for what ?
        There was more social distancing in boyles yesterday than any other shop i've been in recently.
        Pathetic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭passremarkable

Are boylesports opened today ?

Are boylesports opened today ?

no closed thanks to the curtain twitchers

no closed thanks to the curtain twitchers

Thanks,
        Any idea if they will be opened before Weekend ?
        Father’s Day voucher required

Are any illegal bookmakers open for business between now and 29th??

Thanks,
        Any idea if they will be opened before Weekend ?
        Father’s Day voucher required

i doubt it but honestly i don't know, you could try to buy a voucher online

i doubt it but honestly i don't know, you could try to buy a voucher online

Thanks, il look into that.

• Advertisement

Bar one kiosk open in my area!
        Heroes

Bar one opening tomorrow for deposits and withdrawals

Heroes

Are they taking bets Roger

Andrew00 wrote: »
        Are they taking bets Roger

I can't sware to it Andy but it sure looks like it!

Bar One in Limerick City open to public!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭curioser

Heroes
        Likewise in my area.

Apparently there were Bar One shops open all over the country today

BarOne mustn't be buying into the bs... Let them be the inspiration for others so we can all get back to enjoying our hobby.... I don't want an online a/c :)
        No BarOne near me, so I'll have to wait a while...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Bar Ones head office is in Crossmaglen , South Armagh which isn't cover by any jurisdiction so they do their own thing

• Advertisement
      • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Bar One in Athlone closed at 2ish when I drove past, was open over earlier in the week.

Bar one in Galway open for bets and stuff. Can't go inside though

LuasSimon wrote: »
        Bar Ones head office is in Crossmaglen , South Armagh which isn't cover by any jurisdiction so they do their own thing

No, it's in Dundalk

Andrew00 wrote: »
        Bar one in Galway open for bets and stuff. Can't go inside though

Bar Ones on limerick open

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭maximo31

Bar one in Clonmel are open. They have the counter just inside the door to take bets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

maximo31 wrote: »
        Bar one in Clonmel are open. They have the counter just inside the door to take bets.

I understood they were paying out on previous bets only:confused:

• Advertisement
      • Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭maximo31

Nope , I had myself a few bets anyway. You would need to know what you are backing as no access to papers. Just fill slip out at counter.

Nope. Open, taking bets

Barone closed again near me.

Staff member said unlikely to open before 29th now

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭curioser

Juwwi wrote: »
        Barone closed again near me.

Staff member said unlikely to open before 29th now
        Same here. Did bets in it around 1.30, went to collect shortly after 5 and it was closed, with notice up to say it won't be open till the 29th. Obviously the curtain twitchers hadn't gone way. Let them beware - this country has a particular history in dealing with informers! Seriously though, a couple of people at the door of a bookies is a risk while thousands demonstrating in Dublin are deemed to be no danger - spare me!

Fair play to bar one for trying anyway

Also their staff are 100% nicer than any other bookie, in Galway anyway

• Advertisement
      Advertisement