Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bookies reopening

Options
  • 04-06-2020 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭

Does today's Govt announcement of high Street stores opening Monday incl Bookies???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

I seen someone say bar one racing is opening some of its shops on Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Paddypower have everything geared towards June 29th...this Monday too short notice. No idea about others?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Banner fights back

Andrew00 wrote: »
    I seen someone say bar one racing is opening some of its shops on Monday

Correct. However from Monday only on street bookies can open and according to an email that I got this evening from bar one, that it will only be in hatch form, with just those collecting winnings from the
    March nationwide lockdown along with depositing and withdrawing from online accounts accommodated for.

At this moment no members of the public, will be allowed inside the bookies, according to a reply of an email that I got this evening.

Monday 29th June appears to be the day where all bookies will reopen again.

Correct. However from Monday only on street bookies can open and according to an email that I got this evening from bar one, that it will only be in hatch form, with just those collecting winnings from the
    March nationwide lockdown along with depositing and withdrawing from online accounts accommodated for.

At this moment no members of the public, will be allowed inside the bookies, according to a reply of an email that I got this evening.

Monday 29th June appears to be the day where all bookies will reopen again.

Good luck to anyone trying to collect out of Lad's. If you don't come in to collect even a modest amount the day after, the clerk acts as if you're trying to mug her when you hand your slip across the counter if it's a few days or a week later. Standing there feeling like a criminal... Not their fault I know, but still

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

All bookies allowed open from Monday
    That's been confirmed
    Hope they do

• Advertisement

Itll be interesting to see how they operate. Might have to mark out areas for sitting/standing and when they're gone you cant stay there.
    Might push the machines more as well and less counter interaction.

I don’t envisage any sitting allowed at all.

Bookies are really unique in retail setting...like will they even be allowed show races in the shops? That just encourages people to stay.

I always socially distance in bookies....
    Some right smelly bastards in there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭themandan6611

and don't even mention the women

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Should not be allowed reopen

Wretched shiyrholes, the customers arriving in next week should be walked straight into counselling rooms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

I fill my football coupon in in the car and try to get in and out asap. Full of the great unwashed, putting dirty hands into bowls of sweets

Boylesports policy of buying large shops for a future arrival of the FOBTs addiction machines might backfire

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭kksaints

Its quite hard to see how a bookies can reopen to its old ways in the foreseeable future. Even the leaving out of pens and dockets carries an element of risk to it and its very hard to see people been allowed to sit down and watch the racing. The machines are also a potential health hazard unless they're cleaned after every use like the self-service checkouts in Supermarkets.
    One possibility could be that you go to the counter, place your bet with the worker writing down the docket for you, then returning the docket to the customer who then leaves immediately but it still doesn't account for a lot of factors and would be hard to enforce.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭Juwwi

It will be a nightmare for bookies trying to police keep 2 meter social distancing ECT ,, if they don't let people hang around watch the racing they basically don't have any customers ,, some people will already have their bets wrote out , quickly put them on and leave ,but the people who hang around betting on cartoon racing and horses and the people the bookies make money from and will want to keep .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Should not be allowed reopen

Wretched shiyrholes, the customers arriving in next week should be walked straight into counselling rooms
    Why would they need counselling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Juwwi wrote: »
    It will be a nightmare for bookies trying to police keep 2 meter social distancing ECT ,, if they don't let people hang around watch the racing they basically don't have any customers ,, some people will already have their bets wrote out , quickly put them on and leave ,but the people who hang around betting on cartoon racing and horses and the people the bookies make money from and will want to keep .

I suspect a blind eye will be turned to the rules, we will still see everyone rush to the Counter 10 seconds before off.

Mark sense football slips can take an age to go through sometimes, leading to quques.

Too many obstacles for them to operate within the rules.

Yes I think your right it will be impossible to try and police social distancing , some guy losing heavily and the bookie girl telling him to stop running up late with dog bets won't end well .

I presume any bookies that don't have the screens up to protect the staff will sort that out.

Pens they could have behind the counter that you have to ask a staff member for one and then keep it or bin it when finished with it .

Most important will be hand sanitizer stations inside the door .

Hopefully they come up with some sort of times that you can't hang around , just place a bet and go ,, 10:00am till 12:30pm something like that ,
    Plenty of people won't want to be going into a busy bookies and would be happy with that .

Ye are all being very Jack Lambert about this!
    Twill all be back to normal by the time racing returns in October
    Relax

Bookies Assoc Ireland said all shops free to open tomorrow but on twitter that @AskPaddyPower crowd don't seem to realise that....

PP won’t open a shop to the public until it’s completely compliant and staff are fully versed. It’ll be phased basis. Cork are opening shops this Friday. Not sure it any Dublin shops opening same day? If not it’ll be the 15th the first batch open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

Talk is training this week and reopening 15th. That's one of the big bookmakers. I presume they'll all do the same.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Ladbrokes opening back up sooner rather than later .

The brother works for Boyles
    All shops opening today week
    PP and Ladbrokes too

Bar one here opened today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Bar one here opened today

Barr one in Galway opened too

What way did they reopen ,was it a table at the door with coupons and a staff member or did they allow people inside ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

https://twitter.com/BoyleSports/status/1270031749309964288

Not that we didn't believe you Roger :D

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

I'm interested in initial feedback here on the big chains opening.
    What protocols have they in place?

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

To answer my own question, I was in Boyles in Boroimhe and t'was grand altogether. A bit of hand gel at the door and you're away. I even lost a fiver on lunchtime 49s to get the juices flowin.
    Great to be back to normal!

• Advertisement

Was in bar one and boyles today and it was all as before
    No noticeable changes
    PP not open yet

Advertisement