Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bookies reopening

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Was in bar one and boyles today and it was all as before
    No noticeable changes
    PP not open yet
    Well Boyles at least had hand sanitiser at the entrance, every other chair was gone, toilets locked, Markings on the floor. betting terminals separated by perspex screens ,the staff protected also, so nothing like it was before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Well Boyles at least had hand sanitiser at the entrance, every other chair was gone, toilets locked, Markings on the floor. betting terminals separated by perspex screens ,the staff protected also, so nothing like it was before.

I do my shop bets on machines, collect at counter
    Bar the perspex screens noticed no difference from normal visit
    None

FWIW I was glad of that, not having a go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭BoldReason

• Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Barone and Boyles are still open at the moment .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

BoldReason wrote: »

Are we to understand that bookies opened of their own accord with no approval?

what in the name of jayzisis going on

I have no idea tbh. I'm assuming they received some sort of guidance on it.
    I'd imagine all shops will be closed again tomorrow. PP and Ladbrokes definitely closed today.

Bar one and boyles staying open...

All shops, of any sort, with a streetfront were allowed to open
    they are no different

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

All shops, of any sort, with a streetfront were allowed to open
    they are no different

Exactly my thoughts. They didnt just sneakily open when nobody was looking, they announced it on social media last week. Waiting two more weeks aint gonna make a difference.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

So boyles are open ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Agh lads i was looking forward to a wee wager on the football tomorrow. Please dont say some curtain twitcher do gooder has scuppered the reopening of the bookies for another couple of weeks.

So boyles are open ?

They are...........at the moment.....

Boyles staying open
    seems this is a Paddy issue to do with hygiene
    sounds like some curtain twitcher wasn't happy and got the skickalonies onto it
    Boyles and Bar One are business as usual

Surprised Ladbrokes have closed aswell though if it was something to do with PP and hygiene .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

They are...........at the moment.....

Just in boyles, happy days it was
    Like any other shop, thanks for info guys

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭curioser

Just in boyles, happy days it was
    Like any other shop, thanks for info guys
    Was in Boyles around 12.30 and Bar One earlier, staff in both had heard nothing about having to close. Probably still not safe from the anti-gambling vigilante though.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Messi19

To be fair I'm not surprised they're closing. Nipped in to paddys yesterday to get a quick bet on but was surprised to see a few people hanging around and surprised that they were showing the racing. That's probably the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Nipped into Boyles myself there. Before another curtain twitcher ups the ante. Bit of added interest in the first few days of the Prem Lgue return. I was in and out in 5 minutes like i usually am. No hanging about. No drama.

• Advertisement

Messi19 wrote: »
      To be fair I'm not surprised they're closing. Nipped in to paddys yesterday to get a quick bet on but was surprised to see a few people hanging around and surprised that they were showing the racing. That's probably the problem

They are not gonna stop showing the racing lad!
      The vituals will still be off every 2 mins also
      none of that will change
      its still a bookies!

Was in local boyles myself and found it a very good set up and no drama

The Plot Thickens

Major bookmakers Paddy Power and Ladbrokes were forced to close their retail outlets in Ireland on Tuesday following direction from the government. BoyleSports and independent firms are permitted to remain open.

It is believed the reason Paddy Power and Ladbrokes have been closed down just 24 hours after reopening their doors to the public is related to their company status.

Although there is no clarity on the details at the moment, it has been suggested their constitution as Public Limited Companies is central to the issue, with the phase two lifting of coronavirus restrictions that kicked in on June 8 catering for retail outlets.

There is some speculation Paddy Power and Ladbrokes are instead classified as hospitality rather than retail.

The closures are reported to have been initiated after a number of complaints were made by the general public on Monday. The operators are seeking clarity on the matter from the government, but the extended closures will add to the pressure on firms and staff in such a challenging economic climate.

Some sources have suggested that trade on Monday was unexpectedly slow in Irish shops, with one retail source suggesting turnover was down 70 per cent on a normal Monday.

The same source suggested the various public health measures and protocols worked well, and that the social distancing restrictions allowed for 20 customers in what is a large premises at any one time. Despite that, footfall and trade was not what had been anticipated.

I wonder if the complainant was a Mr.Boyle !!

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭lemush

Ladbrokes head office have made decision to close.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Messi19

They are not gonna stop showing the racing lad!
        The vituals will still be off every 2 mins also
        none of that will change
        its still a bookies!

Was in local boyles myself and found it a very good set up and no drama

There's not a lot more that they can really do so it's strange that they've closed saying they need more safety measures. Fair point re the racing on the tv and virtuals. It was a decent sized shop I was in and we'll marked out for social distance. In one door and out the other

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Would love to get my hands on a curtain twitcher

• Registered Users Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

My local PP opened yday for 1st time since March. But today is closed again. What happened??

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭hurikane

When I worked for Paddy Power some years back, there was a holding company, Power Leisure. I’d imagine it’s related to that.

Drivetime RTE saying bookies are specifically prohibited from opening
        might all be closed tomorrow so collect today!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

So much unnecessary uncertainty

Not fair on the staff and punters!

• Advertisement

Isn't it all a mess , it was supposedly from last Monday the 8th they could open if they wanted .

Bookies said no we will wait until the 15th .

Nothing from government to say actually you's can't open the 8th or 15th

Then 1 day later after they open it turns out they aren't allowed to open , why weren't they told this a few weeks ago by a government official .

Advertisement