Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Championship and Covid

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,624 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Provided the championship does go ahead at the end of the year as planned, then there'll have been so early starts before the light goes. I know some grounds around the country does have flood lights but I doubt it's a given. Some of the gaa grounds look alright in summer but I wouldn't say they are comfortable in winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

On the Liam Ryan issue, I can't say definitively if he picked up the injury with Wexford or not. What I can say is that they have been back training collectively for quite some time. Originally in the centre of excellence in Ferns but seemingly were attracting attention so they moved to an indoor facility in Bunclody. However two clubs (Martins and possibly Rathnure) contacted the county board and told them if they don't have access to county players then they won't bother with the championship. So the hurlers did a fitness test on the 30th June and haven't trained since collectively. The footballers trained the following night. There's also an issue with one of the Wexford hurler's and a recent alleged drink driving incident so I can imagine that they are not seeking any more publicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Provided the championship does go ahead at the end of the year as planned, then there'll have been so early starts before the light goes. I know some grounds around the country does have flood lights but I doubt it's a given. Some of the gaa grounds look alright in summer but I wouldn't say they are comfortable in winter.

I would not think any outdoor facilaties are comfortable at the height of winter its not the time of the year to be sitting in the one position out doors to long.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,909 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

when are they releasing the exact fixtures for the IC championships

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

The thing with the new furore in Wexford is that the county board (chairman) are more likely to condemn the media outlet involved than any other scenario.

Davy's grip is so strong that if he told the county board that he wants to go on the annual foreign training camp (titled a "team bonding holiday") again this year, despite the risks of travelling out of the country and the bad optics it would entail, they would forego the club football championship to allow it.

While obviously they're a prominent example, I'm not sure that's a specific Wexford thing. You'll see it everywhere where some wrongdoing is exposed and many responses are along the lines of "The bigger issue here is who's leaking this info/why are journalists causing trouble/why are lads putting up videos". Instead of addressing the actual issue at hand they try to turn the argument against whoever raised the issue.

On a vaguely similar vein, a few months ago here there were posters claiming it's cowardly and wrong for Hoganstand members not to state their county. They made up some feeble excuse about it being morally obligatory because the GAA is about where you're from. In reality they only feel this way because their only debating tactic is ad hominems against other posters' counties. By having your origins a secret, you're disarming this tactic and forcing them to actually address the substance of their post, which they don't want to (or probably can't) do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Arising from a meeting of the GAA's Covid Advisory Group last night, it was agreed on a risk stratification basis that the following GAA facilities should remain closed after July 20th and until further notice:

All Dressing Rooms

All Club and County Gyms

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

seligehgit wrote: »
    Arising from a meeting of the GAA's Covid Advisory Group last night, it was agreed on a risk stratification basis that the following GAA facilities should remain closed after July 20th and until further notice:

All Dressing Rooms

All Club and County Gyms

We may all put away our championship fund until next year. Looks like the chap i referred to last week is going to be proven right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Always_Running

seligehgit wrote: »

All Dressing Rooms

All Club and County Gyms

Correct call by HQ

Some good news from Feargal McGill and hopefully it stays that way.

"To the best of our knowledge nobody has contracted Covid due to GAA activity," "Where GAA players or members have contracted Covid, it appears to be outside of GAA activity. That is hugely encouraging.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭DH2K9

Hi guys,

Didn't know which thread to post this in. I am interviewing an inter-county football referee next week for the Tackling Sport Podcast and was wondering was there any questions people here would like to ask.

Can be questions on recent rule change, black card or even the new Covid regulations.

Appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,831 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

DH2K9 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Didn't know which thread to post this in. I am interviewing an inter-county football referee next week for the Tackling Sport Podcast and was wondering was there any questions people here would like to ask.

Can be questions on recent rule change, black card or even the new Covid regulations.

Appreciate it.

This might sound smartarsed, but it's really not intended to. I've always genuinely wondered why on Earth someone would volunteer to become a ref. Everyone watching you is an expert and you are subject to the most ridiculous amounts of criticism, and I don't know what the attraction of it is.

• Advertisement

This might sound smartarsed, but it's really not intended to. I've always genuinely wondered why on Earth someone would volunteer to become a ref. Everyone watching you is an expert and you are subject to the most ridiculous amounts of criticism, and I don't know what the attraction of it is.

Haha, believe or not I've been reffing club games for 10 years while still playing full time for our adult team. Like to think I am on both sides!

Suppose it's always nice doing an unpopular job and actually doing it ok where at full time, you can shake hands with everyone (not in current climate) and they know you did your level best.

Obviously, there are times when I've questioned my sanity. While I'm able to stand up for myself, I know other former refs struggled and gave it up.

Important to remember there is a human being behind the wrong decision he may have given your team.

I will ask your question anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

stay involved in the game. Great chances to progress in your sport. Fitness, social reasons
    I'm reffing rugby 7.5 years. 6.5 years as an official member of a provincial association.
    After a while if you do enough games it can be quite easy to ignore the criticism.

Fair play, would there be much abuse at all from players at club level in rugby as obviously from the GAA looking in at rugby, at professional level there is definitely more respect there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

DH2K9 wrote: »
    Fair play, would there be much abuse at all from players at club level in rugby as obviously from the GAA looking in at rugby, at professional level there is definitely more respect there.
    there is some but not as much as in gaa by a distance. There will always be players and supporters critical of what decisions you make.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭blowitupref

The 500 crowds that was expected to be allowed for club games this Monday is now look to be getting pushed back to August 10th.

Only 200 allowed in attendance for now and that will include players, management and officials.

Don't see the sense in that decision. We have been told you are 19 times less likely to catch this virus outdoors than indoors and with such a low positivity rate in testing, now was surely the time to keep crowds at 500 at least.

The 500 crowds that was expected to be allowed for club games this Monday is now look to be getting pushed back to August 10th.

Only 200 allowed in attendance for now and that will include players, management and officials.

Don't see the sense in that decision. We have been told you are 19 times less likely to catch this virus outdoors than indoors and with such a low positivity rate in testing, now was surely the time to keep crowds at 500 at least.

Doesn't matter which is more likely. Neither being allowed is the best thing. Lives over sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭kksaints

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2020/0715/1153529-blow-for-gaa-and-fai-as-crowd-restrictions-are-to-stay/

Stadiums often have areas like turnstiles, tunnels to stands and toilets that are more indoor than outdoor and are likely to have people gathering in them to create a larger than ideal crowd. Still its a somewhat disappointing decision albeit hopefully larger numbers will be allowed from the 10th of August.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Doesn't matter which is more likely. Neither being allowed is the best thing. Lives over sport.

Going by that logic we should close supermarkets to the public, pubs that offer food etc as one is more likely to pick up this virus there than outdoors watching a match.

Going by that logic we should close supermarkets to the public, pubs that offer food etc as one he more likely to pick up this virus there than outdoors watching a match.

Not bad ideas. At the very least we should close all pubs again and clamp down big time on entry to shops. And still not allow large groups of supporters to matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Not bad ideas. At the very least we should close all pubs again and clamp down big time on entry to shops. And still not allow large groups of supporters to matches.
    You do realise the virus compared to April is well contained in this country? Testing was ramped up in recent weeks yet the positivity in our testing has not increased and people in ICU and hospital with this virus remains low.

This is one step that wasn't required IMO. Sorting out the issues with air travel and health care workers should be priority for this government

• Advertisement

You do realise the virus compared to April is well contained in this country? Testing was ramped up in recent weeks yet the positivity in our testing has not increased and people in ICU and hospital with this virus remains low.

This is one step that wasn't required IMO. Sorting out the issues with air travel and health care workers should be priority for this government

There’s a reason it’s contained. It didn’t happen by accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

With compliance, steps need to be taken forward now not backwards. Whatever about indoors settings I believe 500 for outdoor gatherings on Monday should have stood.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

The 200 limit is potentislly going to cost the GAA millions. If each senior club game is down 300 paying spectators at lets say €10 per head that works out at €3000 per game.
    Most counties will probably have 3 rounds of games played by August 10th. In my own county just taking senior A with 4 games each weekend it may tally up at €36k. Now i know all gsmes may not have full attendance but we will also probably be losing a gate at Senior Band Intermediate.
    I don't want to trivialise the virus, but outdoor at 500 seems safe at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

They are letting 500 people into Croke Park for an event at the end of the month at the same time as limiting GAA attendances to 200!

If they are consistent they will either cancel or impose similar limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Bonniedog wrote: »
    They are letting 500 people into Croke Park for an event at the end of the month at the same time as limiting GAA attendances to 200!

If they are consistent they will either cancel or impose similar limits.

Imagine the optics of cancelling a muslim religious event :eek:

I do a bit of reporting for the local papers in Wexford, and had to fill out an application form for the county board to let them know what match(es) I am covering this weekend a few days in advance. And will be informed on each Friday morning if my application was "successful". Requested to wear a face-mask at the venue.

I've heard that some of the lower grades are already "sold out" this weekend, and the master fixtures plan sees the current attendance restrictions running until after the senior quarter-finals. It's mental.

Whatever about the pubs re-opening on August 10th (hopefully), the rush to get the hurling semi-finals in Wexford will be apocalyptic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Imagine the optics of cancelling a muslim religious event :eek:

I do a bit of reporting for the local papers in Wexford, and had to fill out an application form for the county board to let them know what match(es) I am covering this weekend a few days in advance. And will be informed on each Friday morning if my application was "successful". Requested to wear a face-mask at the venue.

I've heard that some of the lower grades are already "sold out" this weekend, and the master fixtures plan sees the current attendance restrictions running until after the senior quarter-finals. It's mental.

Whatever about the pubs re-opening on August 10th (hopefully), the rush to get the hurling semi-finals in Wexford will be apocalyptic :D

They wouldn't be cancelling a Muslim event.
    Its government regulations. I'm not religious. Couldn't care less if it was the flying spaghetti monster convention, it MUST be now limited to 200. No ifs, buts or maybes. The GAA so far have not only followed government regulations, but actually went further by holding back teams from returning to training collectively in groups when the government had already lifted some restrictions.

I've no sympathy for Wexford county board. Their rush get the hurling championship is now going to cost them a lot of money in gate revenue. I hope they have a few €€€€€ put aside to pay expenses for their extensive management team

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

The crowds limited to 200 until 10th August is going to be a disaster. I know 500 isn't a huge number for senior matches in a lot of counties but at least you'd get a nice number from both clubs. With 200, over 50 will be the players and official so you are down to less than 150, that wouldn't even cover the immediate families of the players.

And who decides who can go to the matches? Will the clubs get tickets and have to decide who gets them. I can see a lot of bickering within clubs if that's the case.

The demand for matches is huge at the moment, people don't have a lot of options for social outings and it's something to look forward to in grim times. I feel like the government wanted to stop the pubs opening but so as not to single the pubs out they delayed the whole phase. I'm just very disappointed that some of my friends and families won't be able to attend matches they were really looking forward to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

What in your view is the reason it has been contained?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭shmeee

Anyone here any experience in live streaming GAA matches?

Due to restrictions now we have permission to live stream certain games.

We usually record the games ourselves anyway. So have camera, laptop etc.

The problem is internet upload speed running off a hotspot to YouTube Live / Facebook.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

shmeee wrote: »
    Anyone here any experience in live streaming GAA matches?

Due to restrictions now we have permission to live stream certain games.

We usually record the games ourselves anyway. So have camera, laptop etc.

The problem is internet upload speed running off a hotspot to YouTube Live / Facebook.

You mean you record the game for your club usually, but also want to live stream the game??? Not sure you would get away with that as most county boards will be looking into streaming games themselves (eg in Galway & Roscommon, they have a deal done with Nemeton).

Advertisement