Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation VR Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,630 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Umpalumpa wrote: »
    Considering picking up the VR for the ps4.what exactly do I need to play games.headseat and special controllers? Is there much point getting it now or shluls I wait for the ps5 VR.

There hasn't been a PS5 VR announcement yet.

Personally I'd suggest going for an Oculus Quest 2, which will be a bit cheaper, but it's entirely wireless and amazing visuals/controller tracking. Everything you need to VR is in the box, and no need to be tied to a console. You can play in the middle of Phoenix Park if you want (which is amazing by the way as you can run around the virtual world in real life)

https://www.oculus.com/quest-2/

Needs a Facebook account though, so that might be a turn-off.

The PSVR has a larger library though, so if you want to go for it, make sure you buy a PS4 camera and then opt for one of the PSVR Megapacks that come with Move controllers (not sure if the camera is also included in the megapacks).

EDIT: actually this one seems to have the camera, but the Move controllers are extra

https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/video-games-and-tablets/virtual-reality/virtual-reality-devices/playstation-vr-mega-pack-mk4/p/183335

https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/video-games-and-tablets/virtual-reality/virtual-reality-devices/playstation-move-twin-pack-cech-zcm2-model-/p/168549

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

If I was buying a PSVR at this rate I'd suggest waiting for Black Friday which is next month.. I'd imagine they would have discounts then?..

Maybe Prime Day might have one too..

Not sure if mentioned yet but there's a Mortal Blitz Combat Arena game Free to Play on the store.. Its a shooter game where you have to move to different platforms to try to get kills...

I did not enjoy squadrons much at the start but when you play with friends it is amazing and now I am starting to enjoy it...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,824 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Bit disappointing re: the camera and controller. The controller I can understand, no light bar so would require a lot of work, but the camera is the one that's throwing me. I can't see why it shouldn't work tbh. I guess that's the end of my PSVR days for now. I'm gonna sell the lot and get a Quest 2 I reckon. Will most likely buy into the PSVR2 when it's out though.

PSVR is great if you haven't played any other "better" VR's, but I feel like I'm missing out with PSVR so time to move on and try another one. Hopefully when PSVR2 comes out, it'll support the PS4 VR games.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭kegg

Hi. It was probably mentioned months ago but has anyone played racket fury table tennis? Brilliant game but there's rarely anyone online to play against.

kegg wrote: »
    Hi. It was probably mentioned months ago but has anyone played racket fury table tennis? Brilliant game but there's rarely anyone online to play against.

It is superb. I even have it on my Oculus Go and it plays really well even though the headset is 3DoF.

I bring it with me when traveling to have a table tennis workout on the go (scuse the pun)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Has anyone heard anything about the adapter for the camera for the PSVR for PS5 yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

wes wrote: »
    Has anyone heard anything about the adapter for the camera for the PSVR for PS5 yet?

Nothing other than "no purchase will be necessary". Very light on info so far, which is disappointing. I'm assuming it will be seamless enough, but i've a feeling there will be a long wait for some form of device to be posted out to PSVR users from Sony

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

From a psvr fb page I follow...

From Oct 29 all PlayStation VR buyers will also receive the PS Camera adapter for PS5. No news yet on how existing owners will get the free adapter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭coolisin

Has anyone attempted to order the adaptor yet?
    See it was available on the US site last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I did it yesterday. I got an email about an hour later, and it says I should get it in November sometime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

I did it yesterday. I got an email about an hour later, and it says I should get it in November sometime.
    Same here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Same

• Registered Users Posts: 4,396 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I got the same email regarding the adapter, now I just need a ps5.

wow I'm pretty shocked to hear PS5 games will not support PSVR... I guess the clues were there when an adaptor was required to make it compatible.

mrcheez wrote: »
    wow I'm pretty shocked to hear PS5 games will not support PSVR... I guess the clues were there when an adaptor was required to make it compatible.

They will support it, hence the adapter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

They will support it, hence the adapter.

No. PS4 games (those with PS5 compatibility/enhancements) will support it. There will be no ps5 games that utilise it. As I said in the gaming thread, I’m really surprised. I was certain that they’d leverage it until a new improved model could be sold in two/three ish years time. They’re killing the platform with this move. Undermining alll the work they’ve done. Again, it’s not surprising given the CEO of PlayStation doesn’t seem to be much of a believer in VR.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭kerplun k

I thought it sold quite well, plus it made use of redundant stock such as the camera and moves. For something that they threw together I thought it exceeded expectations. It’s a shame they seem to be abandoning it.

kerplun k wrote: »
    I thought it sold quite well, plus it made use of redundant stock such as the camera and moves. For something that they threw together I thought it exceeded expectations. It’s a shame they seem to be abandoning it.

5 million were sold vs 113 million PS4 sold, so maybe they did the maths and decided it wasn't worth keeping it going.

Odd that they explicitly won't be supporting it for PS5 games unless there's something specific in the code library that would be costly to update for PS5?

Surely it should be up to the developers to say they want to enable PSVR mode?

Does this mean that Hitman 3 will have 2 variants... PS4 version (supporting PSVR) and PS5 version? Will the PS4 version be purchasable on the PS5?

Also curious to see if the PSVR actually gets any improvements when running on PS5 hardware, or if it will just be an emulated PS4 Pro.

5 million were sold vs 113 million PS4 sold, so maybe they did the maths and decided it wasn't worth keeping it going.

Odd that they explicitly won't be supporting it for PS5 games unless there's something specific in the code library that would be costly to update for PS5?

Surely it should be up to the developers to say they want to enable PSVR mode?

Does this mean that Hitman 3 will have 2 variants... PS4 version (supporting PSVR) and PS5 version? Will the PS4 version be purchasable on the PS5?

Also curious to see if the PSVR actually gets any improvements when running on PS5 hardware, or if it will just be an emulated PS4 Pro.

I can say that NMS is emulating the Pro for it's PS5 mode.

For some reason I thought the number were a lot higher. But yeah, looking at that, you can see why they're giving up. Thing is, they probably made this decision at least two years ago; look at the final hardware and games development timelines such RE8.

It's annoying, the promise of PSVR was one of the things that convinced me to go with PS last time round. It's even more annoying when you consider the biggest bottleneck for PSVR is the raw horsepower of the machine itself, and the PS5 would have had huge potential upsides (looking at you SW:Squadrons)

I absolutely love the VR, I'd be very surprised and disappointed not to see another full astrobot vr game on the ps5.

• Advertisement

This sort of thread seems to be coming up more and more

https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/jm1nyq/a_refuge_from_psvr/

How many of ye are thinking of making the move to Quest ?

This sort of thread seems to be coming up more and more

https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/jm1nyq/a_refuge_from_psvr/

How many of ye are thinking of making the move to Quest ?

I would but to be honest the Facebook account thing is the part that has 100% stopped me.
    I don't like it being so heavily tied into it.
    Didn't like when Sony wanted to automatically post on Facebook what I was playing or trophies.

As with psvr and pcvr and quest you cannot compare them.
    Psvr is last gen console Sony has a console launch first.
    Then maybe VR look if it's the end of psvr it's the end I hold onto my old consoles so it's not a massive deal for me but then again I've bought the psp's and the vita (and the vita's death upsets me more).

Right now for VR Sony would be stupid to go up against the quest, give a small break to release PSvR2.
    But ps5 will be my main system for flat games anyway eventually!

However they need to say something soon if they want to keep some of the VR players.
    Interesting and scary at the same time what Facebook is doing with Oculus.

I used a fake FB account on my Quest 2 and haven't had any issues... There are reports of a jailbreak to avoid requiring an account due to be released soon too

No. PS4 games (those with PS5 compatibility/enhancements) will support it. There will be no ps5 games that utilise it. .
    Is this confirmed? I knew they had no plans to release a new headset but is it a case where we're not going to see any new PSVR games, or will we be just getting ps4 vr games going forward?

Hmmm.
    I wonder if we can expect further boosts to performance on PS5 beyond what PS4 pro currently does.

I would kill for another Astro Bot VR game. It's easily the best VR game I've ever played and I want more!

Based on what has been said, it's likely there WILL be new PSVR games but specifically targeting PS4 hardware.

So, likely smaller studios will continue producing PSVR content, though I'd say larger studios will target PS5 hardware and will focus on pancake gaming. Saying that though, the PS4 version of Hitman will still have the VR mode, but probably not the PS5 version so there will still be large studio releases that are currently in development.

The PS5 will emulate PS4 Pro hardware, but you can assume that it's PS4 Pro hardware running at 100% capacity all the time, whereas a real PS4 Pro might have occasional framerate drops on screens that are taxing, so that's where the PSVR might improve using PS5 hardware.

This is all theory btw, nothing confirmed until people get the hardware in their hands!

I got Star Wars Squadron during the weekend which is actually a lot of fun but it looks pretty ropey on my base ps4. Looking forward to a bump in quality when I fire it up on the PS5!

SomeSayKos wrote: »
    I got Star Wars Squadron during the weekend which is actually a lot of fun but it looks pretty ropey on my base ps4. Looking forward to a bump in quality when I fire it up on the PS5!

That’s assuming it’ll emulate the Pro, which you have to hope. Unfortunately it’s still fairly ropey.

SomeSayKos wrote: »
    Hmmm.
    I wonder if we can expect further boosts to performance on PS5 beyond what PS4 pro currently does.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/11/playstation-vr-tested-on-ps5-it-works-fine-but-maybe-keep-your-ps4/

Incidentally if you were ever considering the benefit of wireless all-in-one VR over the PSVR setup, I think this says it all

IMG_1272-980x550.jpg

That article is a little annoying!

I get the point and agree with the mess of cables.
    But it's ok I live in the world of the OG PS4 so I know the pain of a couple of usb ports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Just seen this reported on reliable PSVR page....

Blood & Truth from @LondonStudioHQ has been updated to take advantage of PS5 on PSVR.

Higher resolution
    Higher framerate (up to 90 fps)
    Highest detail assets used at all times
    Improved texture details

Advertisement