Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

FI Charts ( T120+ onwards) Winter 2020 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

GFSOPUK12_375_5.png

If the GFS is forecasting -10c for Ireland, it's time to get out and dust down the record books again! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭bazlers

EC is like its lost in a fog.
    Or maybe it knows the way to go and im lost : )

Its all quiet interesting to be fair.

Danno wrote: »
    GFSOPUK12_375_5.png

If the GFS is forecasting -10c for Ireland, it's time to get out and dust down the record books again! :eek:

Thats a moral boaster and a half. Even if its boyond the beyonds

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

AuntySnow wrote: »
    In fairness now,those are 120's on Friday
    Those more or less happened
    Beyond 120 most certainly didn't which was my point
    Why don't you use the same model and publisher, or at a t+144 onwards comparison if you wanted to show this?

Agree that fantasy Island is fantasy Island and ice is cold :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

GFS and GEM are decent runs but its impossible to take anything past +120hrs serious. It's all rather good fun though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

GFS and GEM are decent runs but its impossible to take anything past +120hrs serious. It's all rather good fun though

And the ECM is sh**e. I’d take all these ups and downs over the coming days if it meant a favourable outcome.
    What annoys me and a lot of others I’m sure is that the proper cold is way out in FI (29th Jan for example) I want it next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Artane2002

esposito wrote: »

And the ECM is sh**e. I’d take all these ups and downs over the coming days if it meant a favourable outcome.
    What annoys me and a lot of others I’m sure is that the proper cold is way out in FI (29th Jan for example) I want it next week!

the GFS is an outlier and the ECM doesn't look far off what the GFS was showing this morning. I'd expect the pub run to revert back to what was being shown this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

Danno wrote: »
    GFSOPUK12_375_5.png

I'll come back on..*checks chart date*... 29th Jan and let you know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

The models are playing kick the can in FI. Same story every winter

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Artane2002 wrote: »
    the GFS is an outlier and the ECM doesn't look far off what the GFS was showing this morning. I'd expect the pub run to revert back to what was being shown this morning.

Yes for all the talk of models struggling to deal with the fallout of the SSW, on a lot of runs there has been a consistent signal for heights in Iberia and a Greenland ridge to be too far west for us to benefit from. Even if the GFS was not an outlier, I would not be confident in it verifying when it goes against the UKMO and ECM. To clarify i'm not saying winter is over, but the odds of a prolonged freeze look unlikely in the next 10 -12 Days. However, If we have heights continuing to be modelled to the north west for the next few weeks we may tap into snowy cold at some point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Worth a watch from the Met Office. A lot of uncertainty but they favour a colder solution for the U.K. at least.

https://www.facebook.com/287501884208/posts/10158284544339209/

Another underwhelming GFS run we somehow get stuck in no mans land. Its so frustrating to see the NH profile the way it is, yet we can't tap into proper cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭lostweekend3

Another underwhelming GFS run we somehow get stuck in no mans land. Its so frustrating to see the NH profile the way it is, yet we can't tap into proper cold.

Bad pub run might mean good morning runs :)
    Frustrating as you say but we will get lucky eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

https://www.met.ie/forecasts/monthly-forecast/

Don't know if the above Met Eireann forecast was mentioned, but its some turnaround from the last one issued! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Repeat of Feb 2012??

539405.jpg

ECM virtually chucks in the cold towel. Atlantic active, various low pressure systems rolling across towards us over next ten days. Alternating between mild southwesterlies and cooler west northwesterlies. Typical January weather and nothing there for coldies. Taking a weeks break from close examination of the models. Might sneak a quick FI peak but I think we now can write January off, and look toward February.

ECM virtually chucks in the cold towel. Atlantic active, various low pressure systems rolling across towards us over next ten days. Alternating between mild southwesterlies and cooler west northwesterlies. Typical January weather and nothing there for coldies. Taking a weeks break from close examination of the models. Might sneak a quick FI peak but I think we now can write January off, and look toward February.

Your kinda putting all your eggs in one model, but whos to say your not right.
    Ups downs lefts rights. Tomorrow is D day I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭King of Spades

It’s interesting that you are writing off January yet both MT and met eireann are forecasting cold and wintry weather to arrive by the middle of next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

ECM is very poor and goes against the GEFS ensembles which are cool but no severe cold.

FI is about +96 at the moment in my opinion.

It’s interesting that you are writing off January yet both MT and met eireann are forecasting cold and wintry weather to arrive by the middle of next week.

In fairness its not the deep cold that had been originally forecast.. although you are right there is pissibly time for a bit of an upgrade like i think could possibly happen but need to be showing its hand by tomorrow i feel, or as he states it will be February to see when the next charge comes.

• Advertisement

Apologies humberto salazar if i put words in your mouth there but i had a strong coffee : )

bazlers wrote: »
    Your kinda putting all your eggs in one model, but whos to say your not right.
    Ups downs lefts rights. Tomorrow is D day I believe.

I think the trends on all models haven't been good in the last three days. I'd much rather say we're looking at a super upcoming cold spell, but in my opinion, we are not. It doesn't mean we won't get one but I think over the next coupke of weeks we are going to see the Atlantic influence dominate.

bazlers wrote: »
    Apologies humberto salazar if i put words in your mouth there but i had a strong coffee : )

No sweat, we all (99%) here want the snow and cold, but it's a hell of a roller coaster this year.

Mother Nature will determine who ends up right. The SSW event last week doesn't look to have done us any favours. LA Nina continues. Decent upper temps never quite get here. We need a huge helping hand and I don't see where it can come from. Greenland highs and Scandi highs are one thing, but getting them to deliver is another. Anyway this is not the right thread for winter discussion. I'll leave it there and continue in the other thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭pauldry

I love the way people are saying that they will take a break from looking at the models but its impossible not to look. We are all addicted!

Anyways the forecast looks slightly better on GFS than it did yesterday but I think theres a tendency for the cold to be in the North. Might we see what happened one year that Ulster got buried in snow and the rest of Ireland had little or none.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭sicknotexi

pauldry wrote: »
    I love the way people are saying that they will take a break from looking at the models but its impossible not to look. We are all addicted!

Anyways the forecast looks slightly better on GFS than it did yesterday but I think theres a tendency for the cold to be in the North. Might we see what happened one year that Ulster got buried in snow and the rest of Ireland had little or none.

Could happen. More North you are can rarely be bad for snow chances and especially in the battleground scenarios been mooted.

The models have seemed to swung less cold in recent days, there's no getting away from that fact. If we don't see improvements by the weekend then its looking like the end of January cold spell will be a bust.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

pauldry wrote: »

Yes please... the rest of the island did get a snow event last week...and a lot more severe frosts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Lets all hope for an all Ireland approach to the snow cover? :D

Not looking at models for another week but not avoiding tweets
    This one makes a valid point

https://twitter.com/peacockreports/status/1349664429185634306?s=19

• Advertisement

The stratospheric warmimg more or less looks like it has been a bust for us if we look at most of the latest ouput. If we were going to get deep cold it would be showing up by now. A swing back to a very cold outlook is very unlikely now before February. It seems the la nina influence has won out over the SSW in our region.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement